• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible explanation of why some of us do multiple Caminos or the same Camino multiple times

Herndon

Self Proclaimed Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
France 2016
Portuguese 2017(Porto to Santiago)
Ingles 2017
Portuguese 2019(Lisbon to Porto)
On my first Camino on the second night I met a couple who had hiked the Camino multiple times. At that point I couldn't understand how anyone could do it more than one time...It was ok, but nine or ten times? No way...now planning my fourth Camino for the Fall, obviously my opinion has changed...ran across this article on line this morning that may explain why...

"In controlled experiments involving hundreds of volunteers, O’Brien has found that people typically enjoy repeating leisure activities much more than they thought they would."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It keeps calling us, addiction perhaps. Personally I will keep walking until I am unable to do so but I like a different route each time. Two weeks tomorrow I'm off to Porto!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walk the caminos, annually when I can, as religious retreats, a way to spiritual renewal. I also think that walking has health benefits: after two years of no camino, I feel a longing to return, and the dangerous onset of chubbiness. For me, walking the caminos is good for the soul and the body. Buen camino to all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A year wouldn't be the same without knowing I get to go back on the Camino. Each year I'm there I am able to let go a little bit more of the things that hold me back/get in the way/stress me out in my busy day to day life. Who'd have thought a long walk in the country would be so restorative...Buen Camino everyone

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met an old Spanish señor that (according to him, as he told us after some days) walked from Roncesvalles to Compostela, then took a bus back to Roncesvalles, and repeat again and again as far as the weather was good.
He was a retired guy with no much to do at home, liked the sociability, and the role of Camino expert.

Last edited:
It would be like if I got to the pearly gates and St. Pete said, "you know, there are no guarantees of length or quality but you can give it another go if you're not ready to rest yet.." Sign me up. Watching the sun set at the light house at the "end of the world" really set the feeling of the camino being a metaphor for life into my head. It has stuck with me strongly for the last two years. I look forward to the day I'm alive on the camino once again. :)

I've done the full francais 3 times. The first time with a friend who was on his second trip. It was a great experience so 2 years later I did it with my wife. Again a great experience, but a little different. I had always wondered what it would be like to do alone so three years ago I did it alone. Each one was for a different reason and I had different experiences. I am now looking at different routes, both the portugese and northern routes being top of mind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've only walked the Frances (x5). The last 2 years I've planned the Portuguese only to change my mind at the last minute and do the Frances again, in 3 weeks time I'm supposed to do the Portuguese but I'm still being drawn to the Frances.

When I walked the first time in 2016, I couldn't have imagined walking again. I walked through the heatwave of early September 2016, developed blusters that got infected and caused me to bus forward to Burgos to recover. Once my feet recovered I recommenced and made it halway across the Meseta when food poisoning occurred. 36 hours of vomiting left me depleted and led me to again bus forward to Astorga. Again once recovered I recommenced and eventually made it to Santiago. I had no intention of walking again, I was done.
When I got home, that lasted all of two months. The two chunks I had missed were unfinished business. I thought about just doing them but realised, no I want to do the whole thing again. So come September I will again leave SJPDP for Santiago.
Family and friends think I'm crazy, but the more I read these forum posts and books of other people's accounts, I know I'm not alone. It speaks to me and I will return.

I think the article raises an interesting point, and one that repeat offenders realise.
And that is, that we see new things we missed and experience things in a deeper or different way.

But..........

For me at least it is more like a drug. Call it a drug of life.

I keep thinking of that phrase at the end of Hank Leukart's short film.
(Link below if you haven't watched it)
"The Camino is God's Dream for how people should be when they are with each other"

It's not about religion per se, it's about humanity.
Whilst on Camino I feel more content, more at peace, more connected to our World, like this is how life is supposed to be.
And I just constantly yearn to return.............because it feels............like I'm home.

Here's that Movie. One of my favourites that many of you will have seen already.
But maybe some haven't........

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my first camino I met Sagalouts (RIP my friend) in a bar at Roncesvalles. I asked him why he had walked multiple times. He said "I need to learn to be a better pilgrim".

I agree, plus.

I found that walking camino's is cheaper than sitting at home watching the TV (and paying the bills). Really, it is cheaper for me to walk than not.

I have also found it is great for those of us that suffer from war related PTSD. The health aspect of walking instead of lying in bed being and scared to go outside. The pilgrims themselves, the camaraderie, friendship and openess of others shows the best of humanity. A spiritual connection and a connection to nature. My shrink was utterly amazed at my transformation when I returned my first year. If I cannot walk I find I soon sink into bed ridden depression. Even thinking of walking another camino is better than any medication ever.

And cheap beer!

Davey

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On my first Camino on the second night I met a couple who had hiked the Camino multiple times. At that point I couldn't understand how anyone could do it more than one time...It was ok, but nine or ten times? No way...now planning my fourth Camino for the Fall, obviously my opinion has changed...ran across this article on line this morning that may explain why...

"In controlled experiments involving hundreds of volunteers, O’Brien has found that people typically enjoy repeating leisure activities much more than they thought they would."

Hi Herndon, in my case must have been that I felt James calling.

And I just constantly yearn to return.............because it feels............like I'm home.
I agree! I have a constant yearn to return and when I do, it feels like I've come home. I've never felt/experienced anything like that unrelenting yearning before. I was very relieved when I learned that I was not the only one with this obsession. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve arrived in Porto this evening to begin my second Camino, having walked an extraordinarily memorable Francés last autumn from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela.

Almost as soon as I returned home then, I was thinking about how I might be able to do it again, to return to this fabulous social and spiritual environment, this irreplaceable mindset, this enhanced sense of self.

The intervening six months have seen much emotional and spiritual change, as I have found myself wrestling with questions about identity, location and purpose, as well as processing the impact of a short, intense and draining relationship.

Eventually, after flirting with all sorts of different Camino options, I’ve chosen to walk the Portugués into Santiago.

Already, settling in on my first night in an albergue again, I’m feeling that sense of camaraderie and shared experience again, meeting several other pilgrims who have also walked another Camino too.

I’m not alone, it seems.

When I walked the Francés route last autumn, I didn’t know how to answer the question when I was asked why I was doing it - not until about halfway along, when I fully realised just how valuable the experience was proving to be.

Ever since then, I’ve had to find reasons not to do it again - the usual set of standard social strictures that frown on such escapism, such irresponsibility, such free-spiritedness.

But I’m fortunate to be surrounded by supportive friends and family who have encouraged me to take a bold step out along the Camino once again - a shorter, simpler, possibly easier journey on this occasion, apart from one key difference.

Walking the first Camino changed me, undoubtedly.

What came next, when I came home and tried to reintegrate into normal society again - that changed me too.

This time, I do know why I’m walking the Camino.

It’s to figure out which version of myself that I want to maintain in the future.

Ten days - let’s see if it’s long enough for that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On my first camino I met Sagalouts (RIP my friend) in a bar at Roncesvalles. I asked him why he had walked multiple times. He said "I need to learn to be a better pilgrim".

I agree, plus.

I found that walking camino's is cheaper than sitting at home watching the TV (and paying the bills). Really, it is cheaper for me to walk than not.

I have also found it is great for those of us that suffer from war related PTSD. The health aspect of walking instead of lying in bed being and scared to go outside. The pilgrims themselves, the camaraderie, friendship and openess of others shows the best of humanity. A spiritual connection and a connection to nature. My shrink was utterly amazed at my transformation when I returned my first year. If I cannot walk I find I soon sink into bed ridden depression. Even thinking of walking another camino is better than any medication ever.

And cheap beer!

Davey
Hi Davey,

I agree, plus.

And cheap beer!

Davey
Hi Davey,

The Camino walk much better than any better medication as you say, I reckon all of us would be better off if we smashed our TV's. It's one of the positives of the Camino, not watching it.

The beer not only cheap but good, some reason tastes even better after walking.

Not done yet... heading to Via Podiensis in September and already looking ahead to another after that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At that point I couldn't understand how anyone could do it more than one time...
2003 , my first camino after a test run of 6 days the year beforehand.
One of the best experiences in my life! The Country , the People , The family way of Life , the Way .............what more that I can say?..............except that it had a huge impact on my life ......... I will be back ;)

I understand clearly that most people may think that spending time, effort and money on repeating the Camino is, as a minimum, a bit weird.

When I was in the middle on my first Camino, I thought I had enjoyed it but I would never repeat it!
When I was in the middle of my way back home after reaching Santiago I started thinking that it would be a good idea to start a new Camino. Three weeks later .... I was in Roncesvalles!!! 😁

Now, I will start my 7th Camino in 3 weeks! And I hope it is not the last!

If repeating the Camino may sound weird, repeat as a volunteer hospitalero sounds simply crazy!
but .... I have already been a volunteer hospitalero four times ... and I am sure I will repeat!

The most likely answer to "why do we do this kind of crazy thing?": Probably is, because we are a little crazy ... and I love being crazy!!😁

Hi Davey,

Hi Davey,

The Camino walk much better than any better medication as you say, I reckon all of us would be better off if we smashed our TV's. It's one of the positives of the Camino, not watching it.

The beer not only cheap but good, some reason tastes even better after walking.

I agree, though I was using watching the TV just as a point, because I have never owned a TV! (The licensing agency here have been on my case for decades - they do not believe me). Should of said cheaper than sitting at home commenting on forums!

Davey

€46,-
On my first Camino I was totally out of my comfort zone - sleeping in albergues, walking miles and miles each day, no make up, hairdryer, etc.
Halfway through my second Camino I realized that the Camino is my comfort zone.

I have a very, very clear memory of saying to my other half in 2017 - right we’ve done this now, we don’t need to do it again - having both cycled (2014) and walked the Frances.

We go again in July. I can’t explain that.

This year will be my 6th Camino, Flying from Perth Western Australia to be there. Every Camino is different, different people, you see things through a different lense second time around and each time I go I feel I have added significantly to my memory bank. I am happy to confess my healthy addiction.

€46,-
I start next week on the Madrid-Salvador-Primitivo-Finisterre caminos. My sixth time. I suppose I became addicted right from the start, ten years ago. After achieving other goals in life (family, work), I now find that what I would like most is to walk all caminos, over and over, health and finance permitting, if possible into my ripe old age:p. People don't ask me anymore why I do it, maybe they got tired of my half-answers and vague attempts at conveying a state of mind you only achieve by walking and hardship. Most people in this forum understand, I am sure. Blessings to all, buen camino to all who are or will be on the road in the following days/weeks/months.

Nope...still don't get it. With so many new places to visit, new things to do and experience I don't see me going back anytime soon.

And yes I've heard how it's not the same because I'm not the same, I stayed at different albergues, different routes, etc. To each their own.

Kicking off my 10th Camino on Tuesday, closely followed by a return to Lisbon for number 11 in September. I have many plans and ideas for the future, for the first time the Camino Frances is not part of them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back