• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 2020 - 1st timer - SJPP to Burgo

Sharry

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2020)
I don't know what got me thinking about it. Maybe rereading a friend's email about his Via Francigena trip a year and a half ago. But I've been consumed (for the last three weeks) with the idea of walking the Camino Frances next May. Reading these posts has been tremendous inspiration and very informative. I'm sure I'll have many questions about things like money, sleeping bag (yes or no) and other practical things. But first, getting there. My thought is to fly to Paris, then to Biarritz, spending a night in Biarritz, then taking a taxi to SJPdP and spending a night there to hopefully get rested enough to begin the next day. I'll have only two weeks to spend on the Camino and would hope to make it to at least Burgos. But if I still have time, I'll start across the Meseta and go as far as I can before I have to head home, which is the USA. Will transportation from Burgos or one of the villages on the Meseta be available to take me to Madrid to fly home? Is Madrid the closest international airport for flying back to the US? Is my plan to get to SJPdP sound? Thanks for any advice you have.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
An absolutely fine plan! Here's a couple of tweaks: From Paris take the train to Bayonne, which is one stop before Biarritz (they're twin cities, and border one another). From Bayonne, you can take the local train to St. Jean, saving you an expensive taxi ride. Of course, if you want to spend the night in Biarritz rather than Bayonne, you can easily do that, but the next morning take the local bus to Bayonne and from there get the train to St. Jean. Here's the web site for the French trains: https://en.oui.sncf/en/

Note that you can get the train to Bayonne (or Biarritz) from the Paris airport (Charles de Gaulle), if you don't want to go into Paris itself. You can also get the train from Gare Montparnasse in central Paris.

It's also possible to fly directly to Biarritz (you'll have to change planes in Paris, though). From the Biarritz Airport, the easiest thing is to take the Express Bourricot passenger van directly to St. Jean. Contact them to make a reservation at https://www.expressbourricot.com/.

On the return end, Madrid is the largest big city with an international airport near to Burgos. There are both frequent buses and trains connecting the two cities. Here's the web site for the bus company: https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home
And here's the web site for the train company: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

From California, where you apparently live, Norwegian Aiirlines has cheap non-stop flights to Paris, leaving out of both LA and SF / Oakland. On Norwegian, it's just as cheap to fly one way as round trip. Norwegian also flies non-stop from Madrid to LA (one stop to Oakland / SF). That's your most efficient and cheapest itinerary, but check around for other possibilities. You can also come back on Norwegian from Barcelona to either LA or SF /Oak, both non-stop, although Barcelona is a bit further from Burgos than is Madrid.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi Sharry
As you only have 2 weeks (presumably plus travel time) you may want to fly to Biarritz from CDG (easy jet leaves from there), and then get a shared transfer to SJPDP with Express Bouricott.

Otherwise what Andycohn has suggested are good options.
I start on 6 May next year so may see you along the way.
cheers
Glenda

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... I'll have only two weeks to spend on the Camino and would hope to make it to at least Burgos. But if I still have time, I'll start across the Meseta and go as far as I can before I have to head home, which is the USA. Will transportation from Burgos or one of the villages on the Meseta be available to take me to Madrid to fly home? ...

What the others have said ;-) but I would be careful with this idea, buses are a bit 'hit and miss' in some parts of the Meseta.
BC SY

Hi Sharry
As you only have 2 weeks (presumably plus travel time) you may want to fly to Biarritz from CDG (easy jet leaves from there), and then get a shared transfer to SJPDP with Express Bouricott.

Otherwise what Andycohn has suggested are good options.
I start on 6 May next year so may see you along the way.
cheers
Glenda
Hi Glenda.
I'm hoping for two weeks on the camino, planning three weeks time away from home. I'm thinking I'll leave home around May 8 if I can get a good price for the flight, so I'll be a few days behind you. I'm 65 and will take the advice of others my age and older and "go slow". Thanks for your thoughts on travel to SJPdP.

Sharry

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An absolutely fine plan! Here's a couple of tweaks: From Paris take the train to Bayonne, which is one stop before Biarritz (they're twin cities, and border one another). From Bayonne, you can take the local train to St. Jean, saving you an expensive taxi ride. Of course, if you want to spend the night in Biarritz rather than Bayonne, you can easily do that, but the next morning take the local bus to Bayonne and from there get the train to St. Jean. Here's the web site for the French trains: https://en.oui.sncf/en/

Note that you can get the train to Bayonne (or Biarritz) from the Paris airport (Charles de Gaulle), if you don't want to go into Paris itself. You can also get the train from Gare Montparnasse in central Paris.

It's also possible to fly directly to Biarritz (you'll have to change planes in Paris, though). From the Biarritz Airport, the easiest thing is to take the Express Bourricot passenger van directly to St. Jean. Contact them to make a reservation at https://www.expressbourricot.com/.

On the return end, Madrid is the largest big city with an international airport near to Burgos. There are both frequent buses and trains connecting the two cities. Here's the web site for the bus company: https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home
And here's the web site for the train company: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

From California, where you apparently live, Norwegian Aiirlines has cheap non-stop flights to Paris, leaving out of both LA and SF / Oakland. On Norwegian, it's just as cheap to fly one way as round trip. Norwegian also flies non-stop from Madrid to LA (one stop to Oakland / SF). That's your most efficient and cheapest itinerary, but check around for other possibilities. You can also come back on Norwegian from Barcelona to either LA or SF /Oak, both non-stop, although Barcelona is a bit further from Burgos than is Madrid.

Buen Camino!
Awesome, Andy! No, Biarritz was not of special interest. I was just looking for ways to cut down on travel time to SJPdP and be rested and ready to go in as few days as possible. I will check out all of these links and see how they mesh with the flights to Paris and from Madrid. Thank you!
Sharry

All good information here but, transportation, especially rail in France has been highly erratic for some time now, it seems that strikes are a regular occurrence. So, you may want to come in through Spain or some other country and limit your exposure to SNCF wherever possible. Hopefully the labor strife will end soon but, I wouldn’t count on it.
Good luck, Buen Camino.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
All good information here but, transportation, especially rail in France has been highly erratic for some time now, it seems that strikes are a regular occurrence. So, you may want to come in through Spain or some other country and limit your exposure to SNCF wherever possible. Hopefully the labor strife will end soon but, I wouldn’t count on it.
Good luck, Buen Camino.
Oh dear... Well... It may be that the hardest part of this trip will be planning how to get to SJPdP!
Sharry

Oh dear... Well... It may be that the hardest part of this trip will be planning how to get to SJPdP!
Sharry
No!! Easy. See my PM

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wouldn't plan on getting much farther than Burgos in two weeks. On my three Camino Franceses I have reached Burgos on the 13th - 15th day of walking. It's a good place to spend an extra day if you arri early, and has good transportation options.

I wrote the below for travel westward from Pamplona but you can use the information and links to accomplish your travel after you finish. PLM stands for Pamplona, Logrono, Madrid and I translate Autocares as Bus Line.

PLM Autocares westward on the Camino Frances

PLM Autocares provides daily express service between Pamplona, Logroño and Madrid. Additionally it has local service that includes stops in Puente la Reina, Estella, Los Arcos, Viana, Logroño, Nájera, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and Belorado. These local buses leave Pamplona at 7:00 and 16:00 and are scheduled to arrive in Belorado two and a half hours later. The tickets can be bought at the bus station in Pamplona. The fare from Pamplona to Belorado will be about 9€.
The towns mentioned above are all on the Camino Frances and all are at the end spot of a Brierley's guidebook walking stage (excepting Viana which is along the Los Arcos to Logroño stage.) Brierley's guidebook puts Belorado seven days walk and 168 km (104 miles) past Pamplona.

The PLM homepage and schedules are at:

PLM homepage: https://plmautocares.com/
Fares: https://www.plmautocares.com/precios-y-descuentos/
Webpage with schedule: https://www.plmautocares.com/horarios/
PDF of schedule: https://plmautocares.com/Horarios_PLM.pdf
JPG of 2017 schedule: https://www.plmautocares.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nuevos_Horarios_2017.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The early portion of the Camino Frances may be crowded in May. Something I have been suggesting is to walk the Camino Baztan instead from Bayonne to Pamplona to join the CF there. I think there are five stages. I have not done this myself. The forum's search engine may help you.

I wouldn't plan on getting much farther than Burgos in two weeks. On my three Camino Franceses I have reached Burgos on the 13th - 15th day of walking. It's a good place to spend an extra day if you arri early, and has good transportation options.
Thanks. I'm not going to push, so even if I don't make it to Burgos, I'll be happy. If I only make it to Burgos, I'll be happy. If I make it onto the Meseta, I'll be happy.
Sharry

I'm thinking I'll leave home around May 8 if I can get a good price for the flight, so I'll be a few days behind you.

I will be leaving the US around May 6 and plan to spend a few nights in Paris before taking the train (French rail unions willing) to Bayonne and thence to SJPdP on May 9, with an overnight before starting my first CF the next morning ... so it looks like we may beginning our journeys around the same time, if not on the very same day!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From west coast USA I buy a round trip to London and then fly London to either Biarritz, Bordeaux or Bilbao.
On your return, Burgos is closer to Bilbao than Madrid and you can fly from Bilbao to London. It is also easy to fly Santiago to London returning from your next Camino. Having said that, if I could fly nonstop Seattle to Madrid I would do it. Last May in Bordeaux there were Yellow Jacket protests but it did not delay my travels.

Well, I did it! I've got my flights booked and should (if I did everything correctly) arrive in Biarritz Friday night, May 8. Here are my questions:

~ Any recommendations for a place to stay in Biarritz that night? (I arrive at 21:00, if that matters regarding check in time limits.)

~ Anyone want to share a taxi to SJPdP the next day, Saturday the 9th? (I'll put out a separate post for this.)

~ Any recommendations for where to stay one night in SJPdP?

~ Any recommendations for a place to stay in Madrid? I'll be arriving there Wednesday, May 27, and leaving for home the next day.

I'm sure I can find people's recommendations by searching this forum, too.

Well, I did it! I've got my flights booked and should (if I did everything correctly) arrive in Biarritz Friday night, May 8. Here are my questions:

~ Any recommendations for a place to stay in Biarritz that night? (I arrive at 21:00, if that matters regarding check in time limits.)

~ Anyone want to share a taxi to SJPdP the next day, Saturday the 9th? (I'll put out a separate post for this.)

~ Any recommendations for a place to stay in Madrid? I'll be arriving there Wednesday, May 27, and leaving for home the next day.

The Campanile hotel was recommended to me, because it's very close to the airport in Biarritz. Unfortunately, I didn't get to stay there because my flight from Geneva to Biarritz was canceled. But the airline did put me up in a very nice hotel in Geneva. 🙂

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't know what got me thinking about it. Maybe rereading a friend's email about his Via Francigena trip a year and a half ago. But I've been consumed (for the last three weeks) with the idea of walking the Camino Frances next May. Reading these posts has been tremendous inspiration and very informative. I'm sure I'll have many questions about things like money, sleeping bag (yes or no) and other practical things. But first, getting there. My thought is to fly to Paris, then to Biarritz, spending a night in Biarritz, then taking a taxi to SJPdP and spending a night there to hopefully get rested enough to begin the next day. I'll have only two weeks to spend on the Camino and would hope to make it to at least Burgos. But if I still have time, I'll start across the Meseta and go as far as I can before I have to head home, which is the USA. Will transportation from Burgos or one of the villages on the Meseta be available to take me to Madrid to fly home? Is Madrid the closest international airport for flying back to the US? Is my plan to get to SJPdP sound? Thanks for any advice you have.
Hello, Sharry Terry here I live in New Zealand I have been three times. Each time I get myself to Paris. Then into Montparnasse train station all times I have prebooked a train ride to St jean pied de port you will find this online two trains per day there is a change of train at Bayonne but it is all one ticket. Then walk into st jean,, two k,s and stay two nights giving you one whole day to get the feel of the place. Good luck and God bless.

Congrats!!
The train to the airport in Madrid is easy. I am sure someone can recommend a place close to either one of the main stations.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Take the local Chronoplus bus from Biarritz Airport to Gare Bayonne. There are several hotels near the train station. In the AM, catch SNCF train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP. There are 4 or 5 trains daily and train is much cheaper than a taxi.

I note that you are arriving 2100 ... I'm not sure if the Chronoplus bus runs that late. Take a taxi to downtown Bayonne.

If the small train is not running from Boyonne to SJPP, there will be a bus in the train station parking lot. You can’t miss it.
done this walk twice. First time biking. Second time walking.
Each time:
Paris>Bayonne>slept Bayonne>trains or bus SJPP>camped in city campground >next day walked.

met Rick and Peg (their post is above) at the city campground in SJPP.

nice campground. Showers. Kitchen sink. Clothes washing/drying area.

From west coast USA I buy a round trip to London and then fly London to either Biarritz, Bordeaux or Bilbao.
On your return, Burgos is closer to Bilbao than Madrid and you can fly from Bilbao to London. It is also easy to fly Santiago to London returning from your next Camino. Having said that, if I could fly nonstop Seattle to Madrid I would do it. Last May in Bordeaux there were Yellow Jacket protests but it did not delay my travels.

this is what I plan to do coming from New Zealand, spend a few days in London late april 2020, get a ryan air flight to Biarritz, then jump on the #4 bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne rail station the jump in the train to St Jean. my first camino and done years of planning, well more lurking on this site and you tube. but flight is booked so its finally happening!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I did it! I've got my flights booked and should (if I did everything correctly) arrive in Biarritz Friday night, May 8.

Congrats! I will be coming from Paris on Saturday, May 9 and will decide closer to the date whether to fly to Biarritz that afternoon and take the #4 bus to Gare de Bayonne, or take the train from Gare Montparnasse directly to Bayonne. Both options seem pretty straightforward to me, and will give me a little time to have lunch in Bayonne before catching the train to SJPdP. Perhaps our paths will cross if you end up deciding against the taxi!

As others have suggested, the Easy Jet flight from Paris to Biarritz and then the Bouricoutt Express shuttle to SJPP works well. Don't know where you are coming from in the US, but regardless, it will be a long day. If you need to rest up before starting your Camino, do it SJPP. Bouricoutt drops you off near the Visitors Center (which is near the Pilgrim office) so try to book a hotel, gite, or albergue in the same area. SJPP is a pleasant little town to rest up in. Or, skip the rest day and make a reservation at Orisson and start walking the first day. It's a short day, about 5 miles, but it is a climb so choosing this option might depend on your training. We got to Burgos in 13 days but did not take a rest day before we started and on the first day went all the way to Roncevalles. Long day but we were stoked to do it. Later, we split one of the longer stages into two. One more thing, in arranging ground transportation, compare train and bus. Sometimes the bus takes less time then the train and is cheaper. You can get an ALSA bus from Burgos to Madrid cheaper and shorter than the train. Also, the train station is outside of Burgos and you will likely need a taxi. The bus station is a short walk from the town center. You can get buses to Madrid center or to the T4 terminal at the airport. If you are immediately getting on a plane and it doesn't leave from T4, the airport has a free shuttle between terminals (big airport, shuttle can seem a little long).

Take the local Chronoplus bus from Biarritz Airport to Gare Bayonne. There are several hotels near the train station. In the AM, catch SNCF train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP. There are 4 or 5 trains daily and train is much cheaper than a taxi.

I note that you are arriving 2100 ... I'm not sure if the Chronoplus bus runs that late. Take a taxi to downtown Bayonne.
Bayonne is lovely. I would really recommend spending a night there. There are some great eateries and a beautiful church.

As others have suggested, the Easy Jet flight from Paris to Biarritz and then the Bouricoutt Express shuttle to SJPP works well. Don't know where you are coming from in the US, but regardless, it will be a long day. If you need to rest up before starting your Camino, do it SJPP. Bouricoutt drops you off near the Visitors Center (which is near the Pilgrim office) so try to book a hotel, gite, or albergue in the same area. SJPP is a pleasant little town to rest up in. Or, skip the rest day and make a reservation at Orisson and start walking the first day. It's a short day, about 5 miles, but it is a climb so choosing this option might depend on your training. We got to Burgos in 13 days but did not take a rest day before we started and on the first day went all the way to Roncevalles. Long day but we were stoked to do it. Later, we split one of the longer stages into two. One more thing, in arranging ground transportation, compare train and bus. Sometimes the bus takes less time then the train and is cheaper. You can get an ALSA bus from Burgos to Madrid cheaper and shorter than the train. Also, the train station is outside of Burgos and you will likely need a taxi. The bus station is a short walk from the town center. You can get buses to Madrid center or to the T4 terminal at the airport. If you are immediately getting on a plane and it doesn't leave from T4, the airport has a free shuttle between terminals (big airport, shuttle can seem a little long).
Thanks for this. I'm coming from California. After the flights, I'll spend my first night in Biarritz. I get in late (9PM). Then I will try for Bouricot Express the next morning. For better or worse, I did not plan a rest day in SJPP. Hoping to get there in the morning from Biarritz, I'll only spend one night in SJPP and then head to Orisson. I've requested a reservation already and I have my reservation for Roncesvalles the next night. My only concern is the trek from Orisson to Roncesvalles. I was lying in bed this morning thinking about training and considering walking to BART (the train) with a loaded pack on the four days a week I must take BART to work. It would be a mile each way and would be better than no training. I haven't yet figured out transportation to Madrid from Burgos. I'll be spending a night there as my flight leaves the next morning. Do you need to make reservations for the bus in advance?

Richmond waterfront has beautiful walking, plus you are an easy BART ride away from spectacular hiking in Berkeley, Oakland hills, SF, etc. The best thing you can do is start walking as much as you can (and pack very, very light!)

this is what I plan to do coming from New Zealand, spend a few days in London late april 2020, get a ryan air flight to Biarritz, then jump on the #4 bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne rail station the jump in the train to St Jean. my first camino and done years of planning, well more lurking on this site and you tube. but flight is booked so its finally happening!
Kia Ora, Coming from NZ too around that same time, might see you on the trail!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Richmond waterfront has beautiful walking, plus you are an easy BART ride away from spectacular hiking in Berkeley, Oakland hills, SF, etc. The best thing you can do is start walking as much as you can (and pack very, very light!)
Are you in the Bay Area?

I did a 2 week Camino in 2016. Flew to Madrid....train to Astorga.....Astorga to Santiago....it was great

This year I did the El Camino Frances by way of Paris to Leon then took a train to Oviedo to do the Primitivo. My son hiked to Burgos with us then took a bus to the Madrid airport direct. No problem.

Consider the El Camino Primitivo......it is stupendous

Buen Camino

I’m in Sacramento. BTW, given your time frame, definitely consider starting somewhere other than SJPdP, which is much harder to get to versus Leon, Burgos, etc

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Considering the hour you are arriving in Biarritz, I would favor one of the hotel at/nearby the airport. It will make your logistics for getting to Bayonne easier in the morning that taking a taxi into town. Nothing wrong with the hotels in Bayonne near the train station but you will need to look at the Chronobus schedule for May and the summer schedule does not get printed for several more months.

Kia Ora, Coming from NZ too around that same time, might see you on the trail!
oh great, ill look forward to it :). im slightly nervous … although I shouldn't be but on my own into france and spain ( countries ive never been to) but same time extremely excited. im sure ill be fine. safe travels

You can fly to Madrid from the states and take the bus from Madrid terminal 4 to Pamplona and from there to Saint Jean. By far the simplest way to get to Saint Jean from the states, and maybe even the least expensive. I recommend you make advance reservations at an albergue in Saint Jean.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

hmm. I’d avoid May if you can....
having said that. A busy Camino is still 10 times better than no Camino...;)

hmm. I’d avoid May if you can....
having said that. A busy Camino is still 10 times better than no Camino...;)

But on the other hand, if you love meeting people.......
And the hostel at Linares is wonderful Just bring your own food).

Hi @Sharry, I think I read all your messages in this thread ☺. Also, I’ve travelled numerous times from and to various points along the Camino Francés at various times of the year. Your plan, as it now stands, strikes me as really good. BTW, you can edit and change the title of your thread, perhaps to something like May 2020 - SJPP to Burgos, if you want, it may focus replies. ☺

Bear in mind that the 8th of May 2020, a Friday, is a public holiday in France. From about Belorado and/or Villafranca Montes de Oca local buses are running to Burgos, you buy the ticket on the bus. Long-distance ALSA buses from and to Madrid can be fully booked occasionally, around feast days for example. I don’t think it will affect your timetable but you can book your ticket online nearer the date if you feel concerned.

I see that you have Orisson and Roncesvalles already sorted. I would probably also book the next accommodation between Roncesvalles and Pamplona as that section tends to be a bit of a bottleneck around Easter, in early May and in early September.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I see that you have Orisson and Roncesvalles already sorted. I would probably also book the next accommodation between Roncesvalles and Pamplona as that section tends to be a bit of a bottleneck around Easter, in early May and in early September.
I second this suggestion.
I've not stayed there myself, but a friend raved about Albergue Suseia in Zubiri. She said she had one of the best meals on the Camino there, and that the hospitaleros were wonderful.

I can personally recommend Albergue San Nicolás in Larrasoaña, an El Palo de Avellano in Zubiri.

There is always Zabaldica, too. It would be quite a push from Roncevalles because it is close to 30km but a great stop before Pamplona or a way to walk beyond Pamplona if you don't like crowds.

Thanks for this. I'm coming from California. After the flights, I'll spend my first night in Biarritz. I get in late (9PM). Then I will try for Bouricot Express the next morning. For better or worse, I did not plan a rest day in SJPP. Hoping to get there in the morning from Biarritz, I'll only spend one night in SJPP and then head to Orisson. I've requested a reservation already and I have my reservation for Roncesvalles the next night. My only concern is the trek from Orisson to Roncesvalles. I was lying in bed this morning thinking about training and considering walking to BART (the train) with a loaded pack on the four days a week I must take BART to work. It would be a mile each way and would be better than no training. I haven't yet figured out transportation to Madrid from Burgos. I'll be spending a night there as my flight leaves the next morning. Do you need to make reservations for the bus in advance?
Not sure if you need to purchase your bus ticket in advance. I bought mine the day before both times. Both times the bus had empty seats.

€46,-
oh great, ill look forward to it :). im slightly nervous … although I shouldn't be but on my own into france and spain ( countries ive never been to) but same time extremely excited. im sure ill be fine. safe travels
Thanks, although I’ve travelled a bit in France many years ago I’ve never been to Spain and I can’t wait. I’m still deciding whether to fly into Paris from AKL or head to London. Decisions I’ll have to make very soon!

Thanks, although I’ve travelled a bit in France many years ago I’ve never been to Spain and I can’t wait. I’m still deciding whether to fly into Paris from AKL or head to London. Decisions I’ll have to make very soon!
whatever route you take safe travels and hope to see you there, once news years is past april will come around very quickly! :)

I responded to someone else in another thread about my travel choices, so I've pasted the majority of it here to share;

I flew from Canada (not USA), but same continent! I flew Calgary-Montreal-Paris. Then I took the train from Paris to Bayonne, and transferred to another train for SJPDP (same train booking through oui sncf). I really enjoyed the train from Paris to Bayonne. I landed in Paris midday Paris time and made my way via regular buses (the airports have buses to downtown) to a hostel that was walk-able to the train station. It was easy to find the 'bus to downtown' at the airport. I enjoyed the afternoon in Paris, and then slept at the hostel. I woke up and walked to the train station for an early morning train the next day. I got to SJPDP that afternoon, where I had time to explore and go to the office. I liked this breakup because it allowed some 'buffer' for delays, since the bookings (flights vs trains) are through different agencies (the train doesn't care if your flight was delayed, etc). It also allowed me to acclimate a little to the time difference (west coast NA to Europe is enough to mess you up!).

This may be less useful to you as you aren't planning to finish in Santiago, but here it is; On the way home, I flew from Santiago to Paris, and then from Paris back to Montreal. I took a bus from Santiago to the airport (again, very easy to find...literally anyone can help you find it). I had a very long layover in Paris (again, intentional so if the Santiago flight had issues, I had buffer). I had originally planned to sleep in the airport in Paris. However, I felt I had spent less than expected on the walk, and found through (I think just google? maybe hotwire?) that there was an airport hotel across the street from my terminal that wasn't too expensive, as they had those tiny rooms that are clearly designed for 'sleeping only'.

BUEN CAMINO!

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back