• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible missing person May 2012 Burgos region

kohara

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014
Portugues 2019
Del Norte 2020
post has been deleted. see latest response

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kevin

Sorry to hear about your worries.

As I remember from my Caminos albergues will record the names of pilgrims, however these are often paper records and may not be easy to search quickly. Also, if Benny wanted to 'go missing' for a while he could use a false name on his pilgrim passport, depending on where he got it (sometimes you just get a blank one to fill in yourself). It would certainly be easier to involve the Police to give the case some priority, but I understand given his history why you are reluctant to do so too quickly.

The section you suggest he may be walking (Logrono, Burgos...) is relatively flat, so even if he isn't very fit he could go quite a long way just doing his own thing by way of short walking days. It's only really after Astorga that it gets hilly again. I can't think of any places where he could be injured and not found quickly. Certainly no steep cliffs or anything of that nature.

See what reaction you get from the forum. Quite a few people have just come back or are there at the moment. I hope things work out well.

Keith

Albergues record pilgrim passport information because it is a police requirement. Contact the police or Guardia Civil to have a records search done. Albergues probably won't release information unless asked by the police. The Pilgrim Office in Santiago will not release records.

Good luck.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Cheers Keith and Falcon,
Some good advice there, best off contacting the guardia civil. Will get in touch with them.
I will also wait and see here if any members have bumped into my uncle somewhere along the way as that could be very useful information. He makes friends quite easily and could have hooked up with people on the walk and even moved on somewhere with them as he has no pressing matters or ties at home
Thanks for your concern,

kohara said:
Cheers Keith and Falcon,
Some good advice there, best off contacting the guardia civil. Will get in touch with them.
I will also wait and see here if any members have bumped into my uncle somewhere along the way as that could be very useful information. He makes friends quite easily and could have hooked up with people on the walk and even moved on somewhere with them as he has no pressing matters or ties at home
Thanks for your concern,
Yes, someone will remember him if he's an outgoing, friendly guy. It probably is time to get the police involved.

It is easy to get carried away on the Camino if you don't have pressing issues at home. My last Camino was supposed to be Pamplona-Burgos, but I missed the plane home so rather than catching the next one I just carried on to Santiago. These things happen. It's worrying that he hasn't been in touch, that's all.

All the best!

Hola Kevin

I can understand your worry. The Pilgrims' Office in Santiago and individual albergues along the routes will search their records at the request of relatives. However this can be a long process to coordinate.

I think you said that your uncle is Irish. Therefore you should contact the Irish Embassy: http://www.embassyofireland.es/home/index.aspx?id=33978 with a copy of his details and good photographs of him. In my experience they will help you deal with the Spanish authorities both centrally and through the consular network they have in Spain.

You should also e mail the Irish Society of the Friends of St. James http://www.stjamesirl.com/ and the Confraternity of St James in the UK asking them to circulate their networks.

You can also contact me here at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago http://www.peregrinossantiago.es/ email: peregrinos@archicompostela.org if you think we can be of assistance.

Please let us know how you get on.

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@ tyrrek, i would have expected not to hear from him for about a month or so. It is now 11 weeks so that is quite some time. Thanks for the advice

@JohnnieWalker, Thanks for those pointers, i will start compiling some information and get in touch with the Irish embassy and both fraternities of St. James. You can understand my reluctance to get the full weight of a 'missing persons search' going as there is quite a difference between that category and a 'voluntarily missing person'
I will let you know how it goes and i may be in touch re contacting one or two of the albergues just to get a picture of the direction he has taken. I will also keep you informed of any developments.
Thanks for your help.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello guys
After having spoke with a few people i know about this issue at greater length, i have decided to take down my original notification. I had put up the post after having spoken with another family member and got a touch guilty that i should be doing more to contact my uncle as he has been not in contact for approx 3 months. I would normally meet up with him once a week in the UK.
However i have received some objective advice today and my gut instinct is to go with that advice and wait until he contacts - my uncle has always been a bit of a lone wolf as well as being staunchly independent minded and he may be very put out by the fact that a missing persons search is underway when he has just gone to ground for a period.
I apologise for any false alarm raised, but it is a bit of a tricky situation to be in as he did tell me he would be in contact (but when exactly was left up in the air!)
I want to thank all the board members who have provided me with help and concern, it is appreciated.
I did not want to just remove the thread but after perhaps a day or so i may remove it
Thanks
Kevin

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back