• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible RENFE strike in september

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2014)
Hello all:

It hasn't been picked up by the spanish media yet, but I have seen on Twitter an announcement according to which there might be a RENFE (spanish train network) strike on september, on the 4th, 11th, 14th and 15th.

The news came from the personal Twitter of a spanish train driver, and I personally think it's reliable, but as I said, I haven't seen it in any spanish mainstream media sites yet. I'll keep you posted.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello all:

It hasn't been picked up by the spanish media yet, but I have seen on Twitter an announcement according to which there might be a RENFE (spanish train network) strike on september, on the 4th, 11th, 14th and 15th.

The news came from the personal Twitter of a spanish train driver, and I personally think it's reliable, but as I said, I haven't seen it in any spanish mainstream media sites yet. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you, im looking to travel on 15th!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello all:

Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh. Well maybe I won't book from Madrid to Logroño. We might be travelling by bus instead. Or having another day in Madrid. Lesson number 1 on Camino: stay flexible!

Tha
Hello all:

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to my Camino September 1, 2015.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Renfe has strikes regularly. The disruption is minor for pilgrims; at least one run each day will serve each route if tradition holds. SNCF does the same thing.

Hello all:

Thanks for the heads up. I travel by train from Madrid to Pamplona on Sept 24. I'll keep checking. I know this might be a lame question, but are the railways run by one company? I had to book through Rail Europe because the credit card system at Renfe wasn't in sync with my banks security system. But I am also looking forward to a train journey…..love them!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the heads up. I travel by train from Madrid to Pamplona on Sept 24. I'll keep checking. I know this might be a lame question, but are the railways run by one company? I had to book through Rail Europe because the credit card system at Renfe wasn't in sync with my banks security system. But I am also looking forward to a train journey…..love them!

Hi, maggie, all trains in Spain are now RENFE trains, administered by Adif, I believe, but the system is RENFE. This now includes the FEVE narrow gauge line across the northern coast. It also includes all commuter trains in the major cities. Buying tickets online with RENFE is one of life's more frustrating experiences. I've failed at it often. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. were you able to get your 40% discount for being in the "golden years" if you book through RailEurope?

Hi, maggie, all trains in Spain are now RENFE trains, administered by Adif, I believe, but the system is RENFE. This now includes the FEVE narrow gauge line across the northern coast. It also includes all commuter trains in the major cities. Buying tickets online with RENFE is one of life's more frustrating experiences. I've failed at it often. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. were you able to get your 40% discount for being in the "golden years" if you book through RailEurope?

Try Petrabax for train tickers for Spain

OMG 40%? No, I didn't even think to ask. At almost 80, I'm thinking 'platinum'. I'll see if I can do some followup. And thanks for info on the train ownership.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know this might be a lame question, but are the railways run by one company?

See below.

Hi, maggie, all trains in Spain are now RENFE trains, administered by Adif, I believe, but the system is RENFE.

Let's explain it in short. Most (but not all) trains are operated by RENFE. Adif takes care of the tracks, the train stations and some other things related with railways' infraestructures in most of the Spanish railway network.

An example of trains not operated by RENFE would be the trains operated by www.euskotren.eus and an example of railways' infraestructures not in charge of Adif would be the ones in charge of Euskal Trenbide Sarea (www.ets-rfv.euskadi.eus).

The disruption is minor for pilgrims; at least one run each day will serve each route if tradition holds.

It's not so much a matter of tradition but of the minimum services decreted by the Government of Spain.

I did get through to Rail Europe (after a 22min hold on line). First she couldn't find the booking (seems my name was misspelled) and said without it, she could do nothing. I pressed on gently; she found it. We straightened out the details, then when I could 'hear' her smiling, I inquired about the 40% senior discount. None, nope, nyet, nada, zero. No discounts for oldies, soldiers, government, old pilgrims, and so on. It makes no difference to me. At least the corrections got made….MM

Euskotren operates a commuter line from Bilbao to Hendaye.

FEVE operates narrow gauge lines from Bilbao to Ferrol including a connection to Leon. It was taken over by Renfe a couple of years ago but appears to continue to run under the FEVE banner.

Catalunya operates its Rodalies system of mainly commuter line trains. Some of this is co-operated with Renfe as Cercanias lines.

SNCF connects Paris to Barcelona ... this is a hand in glove relationship with Renfe.

There is a commuter line from Alicante that goes as far as Valencia.

There may be other short lines.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's not so much a matter of tradition but of the minimum services decreted by the Government of Spain.
I took the train from Canfranc Estacion to Zaragoza. There was one to three passengers and two crewmen until we reached Lleida. The fare was under 30E. Renfe cannot afford to operate such routes!

I was going to "like" your comment Al, because you will be in SDC, but thought better not. Don't want you to think I'm glad we will miss each other because it would not be true. Besides, you might aim a cricket ball at me and you know I'd hit it for six. Howzat!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm bowled over that you aren't glad we will miss each other. But I am stumped as to why you might think I am batty enough to think the cricket conversation should be over by now. Out.

I did get through to Rail Europe (after a 22min hold on line). First she couldn't find the booking (seems my name was misspelled) and said without it, she could do nothing. I pressed on gently; she found it. We straightened out the details, then when I could 'hear' her smiling, I inquired about the 40% senior discount. None, nope, nyet, nada, zero. No discounts for oldies, soldiers, government, old pilgrims, and so on. It makes no difference to me. At least the corrections got made….MM

Instead of using the expensive Rail Europe to buy direct tickets consider using Petrabax http://petrabax.com

Rail Europe restricts the range of tickets available while Petrabax offers generally anything you can buy on the RENFE site itself without the credit card hassles

I used them successfully to book my tickets from Madrid to Seville and saved nearly 60% off the standard price

And I ain't even a senior

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Euskotren operates a commuter line from Bilbao to Hendaye.

...and some other lines (all of them within the Basque country).

FEVE operates narrow gauge lines from Bilbao to Ferrol including a connection to Leon.

...and a narrow gauge line in the Autonomous Community of Murcia.

Catalunya operates its Rodalies system of mainly commuter line trains. Some of this is co-operated with Renfe as Cercanias lines.

The RodalĂ­es de Catalunya are operated by RENFE. The FGC (www.fgc.cat) operates a few lines (just one -Lleida-La Pobla de Segur- on Iberian gauge) but, AFAIK, they aren't included in the RodalĂ­es network (although most of them are commuter lines).

There is a commuter line from Alicante that goes as far as Valencia.

AFAIK, it just goes as far as Denia.

There may be other short lines.

Yes, there are some other lines that aren't operated by RENFE but I don't think it's necessary to quote them all, is it?

Instead of using the expensive Rail Europe to buy direct tickets consider using Petrabax http://petrabax.com

Rail Europe restricts the range of tickets available while Petrabax offers generally anything you can buy on the RENFE site itself without the credit card hassles

I used them successfully to book my tickets from Madrid to Seville and saved nearly 60% off the standard price

My ticket is already purchased; not sure what I can do about that. It has already been charged to my Canadian credit card. I would hate to think of going through what I went through with Renfe. Thanks for the info on petrabax. MM

Hi jirit, I did check out Petrabax on line, but five different agencies came up under their official website.. Which one did you book with?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi jirit, I did check out Petrabax on line, but five different agencies came up under their official website.. Which one did you book with?

I used petrabax.com

I selected trains, selected my point to point tickets (Madrid to Seville) and booked directly online (the transaction goes through the NY office)

You received a confirmation email and a pdf of the ticket which you can print out

(They do more than issue tickets for RENFE, hence the reason you are seeing agency tours, etc)

If you have any questions you can call their toll free number - goes to the NY office

Last edited:
Here is a sample of the Madrid to Pamplona tickets for September 24 (one way in USD)

How does this compare to Euro Rail? ($95 Can was the best price)

Please select from below: Show more rates
TRAIN TIME Tourist Class
ALVIA 00601 07:35 - 10:38
Duration: 3h 03m
$32
promo.gif

ALVIA 00605 11:35 - 14:40
Duration: 3h 05m
$40
promo.gif

ALVIA 00609 15:05 - 18:26
Duration: 3h 21m
$40
promo.gif

ALVIA 00613 17:35 - 20:43
Duration: 3h 08m
$40
promo.gif

ALVIA 00801 19:35 - 22:40
Duration: 3h 05m
$40
promo.gif

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's 70 euro.

The Renfe site varies 23 euro to 76 euro depending on the class and cancellation options of the ticket.
Yes whariwharangi I know, but I could not book with Renfe. Believe me, I tried for a loooong time. It's the credit card issue. Their security process is not in sync with my bank's security process. I felt I had no choice but to book Rail Europe. I am totally fine with it all. At least it is off my 'to do' list, but thanks for the info….

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For future attempts -- others have said they use paypal and it works fine. I've never tried it, but that's how I donate to the forum, so I guess I could use it to buy a train ticket.
They didn't offer PayPal peregrina, which definitely would have been my first choice, but I've put it all to bed. All I am thinking about now is my departure on Sept 21st from Canada and taking my first step in St. Jean on Sept 25. That's all that matters right now. Thanks for your notes.

I know this topic has been raised before - that Renfe basically traps non- European credit cards ( it had nothing to do with your bank ). France kind of does this too and Italy also does this this but offers another site for non italian credit card holders

This is why Petrabax exists - it acts as the North American agent for Renfe ( Spain ) and SNCF ( France ), though if you follow the instructions provided at this site, you can buy SNCF tickets directly using a North American credit card.

EDIT: you can find links under Camino Resources on buying tickets for both Renfe and SNCF

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/train-tickets.304/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/spanish-rail-tickets-via-petrabax.159/

Last edited:
I know this topic has been raised before - that Renfe basically traps non- European credit cards ( it had nothing to do with your bank ). France kind of does this too and Italy also does this this but offers another site for non italian credit card holders

This is why Petrabax exists - it acts as the North American agent for Renfe ( Spain ) and SNCF ( France ), though if you follow the instructions provided at this site, you can buy SNCF tickets directly using a North American credit card.

EDIT: you can find links under Camino Resources on buying tickets for both Renfe and SNCF

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/train-tickets.304/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/spanish-rail-tickets-via-petrabax.159/
jirit I do so appreciate that you are taking the time on my behalf, but my ticket has been purchased now. Not sure I want to start over. But I've noted all this info to pass on to several folks I know who at some point will be planning their own Camino….M

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola I have a reservation for 3rd (Madrid to Pamplona) so with some luck it should not affect us. But I'll bet that all the seats on the 3rd and 5th will quickly sell out. Hopefully there will not be any restrictions on luggage if the train is full (I will have my bike). I tried the first news link but it did not come up, so what is the strike about? Wages or conditions?? Cheers to all and to those trying to travel on the affected days, best of luck. If you find yourself lost in a bar - I will buy you a vino (1 vino - 10 or 20 straws). Cheers

Walking the CF from Logroño Al. An unexpected trip. :D
Hello Jill - Jenny and I will be in Madrid on 1 & 2 Sept and then on the train to Pamplona on 3 (yes have reservations). We are then spending two nights in Pamplona before I start cycling on 5th. I will PM my Spanish mobile number (when I update/renew it in Madrid). Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hola Jirit - does this system work for an Aussie with a MC and AMEX card?? Not that I need it this time but it might be useful for further travel in Spain and France. Cheers

Hola Jirit - does this system work for an Aussie with a MC and AMEX card?? Not that I need it this time but it might be useful for further travel in Spain and France. Cheers
Hi Saint Mike

Good questions. I believe if you read the instructions for buying the SNCF tickets abroad that you should be able to use an Aussie credit card but you could email the seat61 guy and check with him.

As for Petrabax and Renfe tickets I am not sure but again you could email their ny office ( or call - I have spoken to them in the past when I first purchased tickets and they were very helpful) and ask them if they accept Aussie credit cards.

I came across more information on strikes in Spain http://www.easytravelreport.com/ elsewhere, and other than this thread, don't see them (apologies if cross-posting). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this/these and what one might expect?

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back