• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible Ruta de la Lana start 14th October

tecap

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2018), Via de la Plata (2019, Primitivo (2019), Ingles (2019), undecided for 2020
I had booked a flight from Bournemouth to Alicante back in the depths of the winter of 2019 after just returning from the Camino Ingles and the Primitivo and oh so ready for the next one. I was prepared, confident and excited about walking the Lana and should have started on 14th March 2020. With a start date coinciding with the Spanish lock-down it was clearly never going to happen back then, a postponement was needed. In May of this year, shortly after gratefully receiving my second Covid jab, travel stirrings happened and I again booked a flight to Alicante, arriving 13th October: in only two weeks time. I am now considerably older, less confident, even more prone to worry about ridiculously inconsequential things and I think I'm less decisive but I'm not sure. In short, I so want to go walking but I am worrying about all the things that may be out of my control, including mainly accommodation and the weather. I have been unable to discover the availability of the usual range of accommodation as I'm unable to find any reports of pilgrims walking the Lana recently.
I am half-heartedly preparing. I have up-dated my original plan. I have been hunting the house for all of the things that should still be in in my rucksack; clearly some sort of diffusion of objects has taken place. I'm re-reading all the blogs and travel reports from 2018 and 2019 and trying to build up some confidence to get out there and to get walking again but I am still not sure! Should I waste another air flight ticket and wait until next spring 2022 or should I just fill my rucksack, put on my boots and get on with it? I'm still in conversation with myself on the matter and where exactly are the euros that I changed in preparation for 2019? Do euros decompose and turn to dust if left in the dark and not used?
Any advice or words of wisdom on walking the Ruta de Lana in October/ November would be gratefully received.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My understanding from my Camino friend Luis who normally runs the municipal albergue in Cuenca (and is an avid walker of many Camino routes) is that most of the municipal accommodations are closed. I personally walked from Alicante to Cuenca March 2019. There may be private pensiones or hotels but I personally have no info about that. If you would like I can ask him what he thinks.

My understanding from my Camino friend Luis who normally runs the municipal albergue in Cuenca (and is an avid walker of many Camino routes) is that most of the municipal accommodations are closed. I personally walked from Alicante to Cuenca March 2019. There may be private pensiones or hotels but I personally have no info about that. If you would like I can ask him what he thinks.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I would appreciate your asking further questions on my behalf. I do fear starting walking and being unable to find a bed for the night; it would ruin the walk if I am preoccupied with the thought of there being no accommodation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I would appreciate your asking further questions on my behalf. I do fear starting walking and being unable to find a bed for the night; it would ruin the walk if I am preoccupied with the thought of there being no accommodation.
Well I stand to be corrected. On the Facebook page for the Lana (info in Spanish) I just read this post which makes the current situation look fairly positive. Sorry for reacting before having the most current information! It's in Spanish so just plug into Google translate or any other site.
Let us know what you decide. I still need to complete Cuenca to Burgos.

LOCALIDADES DEL CAMINO DE LA LANA QUE CUENTAN CON ALBERGUE DE PEREGRINOS.
Veintidos localidades de dicho Camino de Santiago cuentan actualmente (30 de septiembre de 2021) con Albergue de peregrinos.
De las 31 localidades que son final de etapa del Camino de la Lana (incluyendo Burgos, como final de la última etapa), 20 tienen albergue de peregrinos (Orito, Novelda, Caudete, Almansa, Alpera, Alatoz, Casas Ibáñez, Fuentes, Cuenca, Villar de Domingo García, Villaconejos de Trabaque, Salmerón, Trillo, Cifuentes, Mandayona, Retortillo de Soria, Quintanarraya, Santo Domingo de Silos, Mecerreyes y Burgos) y 11 cuentan con algún lugar de acogida o establecimiento hotelero para alojar al peregrino al final de su jornada (Villena, Villarta, Graja de Iniesta, Campillo de Altobuey, Paracuellos de la Vega, Monteagudo de las Salinas, Sigüenza, Atienza, Tarancueña, San Esteban de Gormaz y Huerta del Rey. Otras dos localidades que no son final de etapa cuentan también con Albergue de Peregrinos (Torralba y Viana de Mondéjar).
De los 22 Albergues de Peregrinos, hay 14 que son de Acogida tradicional: Novelda, Alatoz, Casas Ibáñez, Fuentes, Cuenca, Villar de Domingo García, Torralba, Villaconejos de Trabaque, Viana de Mondéjar, Trillo, Cifuentes, Mandayona, Quintanarraya y Santo Domingo de Silos. Tres son privados: Almansa (Convento de las Esclavas de María), Retortillo de Soria (La Muralla) y Santo Domingo de Silos (Monasterio del mismo nombre). El de Novelda está regentado por la Asociación de Amigos del Camino del Sureste de Caudete; el de Alatoz, por la Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Albacete; el de Cuenca, por la Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Cuenca.

Thank you for your time in doing this research. This is an excellent list of facilities that are available and nearly all have been included in my own walking plan but have I missed something? Where does it state that they are, in the main, currently open to pilgrims/ travellers. I have sent an e-mail to the friends association in Alicante asking about the availability of accommodation but am yet to receive a reply.

A lot of us are thinking about walking the Lane, if not this year, then next. There is a lot of excellent information but no up to date news on albergues and whether they are open or expect to open. If you could post some information on this, we would be very, very grateful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well I stand to be corrected. On the Facebook page for the Lana (info in Spanish) I just read this post which makes the current situation look fairly positive. Sorry for reacting before having the most current information! It's in Spanish so just plug into Google translate or any other site.
Let us know what you decide. I still need to complete Cuenca to Burgos.

LOCALIDADES DEL CAMINO DE LA LANA QUE CUENTAN CON ALBERGUE DE PEREGRINOS.
Veintidos localidades de dicho Camino de Santiago cuentan actualmente (30 de septiembre de 2021) con Albergue de peregrinos.
De las 31 localidades que son final de etapa del Camino de la Lana (incluyendo Burgos, como final de la última etapa), 20 tienen albergue de peregrinos (Orito, Novelda, Caudete, Almansa, Alpera, Alatoz, Casas Ibáñez, Fuentes, Cuenca, Villar de Domingo García, Villaconejos de Trabaque, Salmerón, Trillo, Cifuentes, Mandayona, Retortillo de Soria, Quintanarraya, Santo Domingo de Silos, Mecerreyes y Burgos) y 11 cuentan con algún lugar de acogida o establecimiento hotelero para alojar al peregrino al final de su jornada (Villena, Villarta, Graja de Iniesta, Campillo de Altobuey, Paracuellos de la Vega, Monteagudo de las Salinas, Sigüenza, Atienza, Tarancueña, San Esteban de Gormaz y Huerta del Rey. Otras dos localidades que no son final de etapa cuentan también con Albergue de Peregrinos (Torralba y Viana de Mondéjar).
De los 22 Albergues de Peregrinos, hay 14 que son de Acogida tradicional: Novelda, Alatoz, Casas Ibáñez, Fuentes, Cuenca, Villar de Domingo García, Torralba, Villaconejos de Trabaque, Viana de Mondéjar, Trillo, Cifuentes, Mandayona, Quintanarraya y Santo Domingo de Silos. Tres son privados: Almansa (Convento de las Esclavas de María), Retortillo de Soria (La Muralla) y Santo Domingo de Silos (Monasterio del mismo nombre). El de Novelda está regentado por la Asociación de Amigos del Camino del Sureste de Caudete; el de Alatoz, por la Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Albacete; el de Cuenca, por la Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Cuenca.
You're right. It doesn't state if open. I'll now contact Luis. Will get back as soon as he has answered.

I can't thank you enough for this information. I am of an age (65) that I don't mind admitting that I am wrong and I bow my head to people who have more experience than me but I still find it difficult to ask for help from others. When a request is answered, it gives me considerable joy; thank you again. I shall resume my planning, attempt to persuade my family all will be well and as you suggested I shall attempt to contact the independent accommodation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok I just got the confirmation that the above mentioned albergues and other accommodations are open.

Saying this, I still suggest that you contact them beforehand to confirm.

Ultreia!
Thank you so much for this. You cannot imagine how much joy and hope this gives us. I have emailed the camino association in Alicante. They haven't replied yet but I trust they will. The other good news is that our government (in Australia) is going to start opening the borders, so things are looking better than they have for a long time. Ultreia indeed!

I can't thank you enough for this information. I am of an age (65) that I don't mind admitting that I am wrong and I bow my head to people who have more experience than me but I still find it difficult to ask for help from others. When a request is answered, it gives me considerable joy; thank you again. I shall resume my planning, attempt to persuade my family all will be well and as you suggested I shall attempt to contact the independent accommodation.
Getting older... way to go, @tecap! Add on 9 and see how many more you will have walked by then! That is the margin I have on your age.
I do understand, though. Time might erode confidence, but look hard for the euro notes. They may not be as durable as the (new to me) sterling notes, but they should withstand a couple of years of waiting in the wings...Would be a pity if the mice had got to them before you! Looks like you are going to find a lot of places open. I will keep an eye out for your reports. Buen camino.

I am also 65 years young😉🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much for this. You cannot imagine how much joy and hope this gives us. I have emailed the camino association in Alicante. They haven't replied yet but I trust they will. The other good news is that our government (in Australia) is going to start opening the borders, so things are looking better than they have for a long time. Ultreia indeed!
Congratulations on your impending release into the wider world; I did think of my Australian pilgrim friends when I heard the news of the lifting of travel restrictions. Have you had any reply from the Alicante amigos? I have tried to get responses on a number of occasions, going back to my original planning for March of 2020, and have not received any replies. I have used the e-mail address and the contact form on their web page but until now with no luck.

Congratulations on your impending release into the wider world; I did think of my Australian pilgrim friends when I heard the news of the lifting of travel restrictions. Have you had any reply from the Alicante amigos? I have tried to get responses on a number of occasions, going back to my original planning for March of 2020, and have not received any replies. I have used the e-mail address and the contact form on their web page but until now with no luck.
Nothing so far, I'm afraid, even though I wrote in Spanish thinking that might help. If and when I do hear, I'll post straight away on this thread and the Lana sub-forum. By the way, the O'Brien guide is downloadable from there and is excellent as is the virtual Lana. The amigos also have a guide (pdf downloadable from the forum) which is very detailed about the route but less informative about accommodation (and the stages are a bit weird), and is in Spanish. Anyway, all we have to do now is get to Alicante. Buen camino

Many thanks. I am re-reading all the excellent travel reports from: Alan Sykes, Undermanager, Bad Pilgrim, MagWood and re-watching the Sara Dhooma videos to name a few of the resources. I had downloaded the comprehensive Amigos guide (and translated it) and the O'brien guide and have the route downloaded on the Mapsme app. I have also started to read the virtual Lana. But I am still feeling very apprehensive after a break of two years since I finished my last Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many thanks. I am re-reading all the excellent travel reports from: Alan Sykes, Undermanager, Bad Pilgrim, MagWood and re-watching the Sara Dhooma videos to name a few of the resources. I had downloaded the comprehensive Amigos guide (and translated it) and the O'brien guide and have the route downloaded on the Mapsme app. I have also started to read the virtual Lana. But I am still feeling very apprehensive after a break of two years since I finished my last Camino.
You certainly are virtually prepared! I believe I only had the Amigos guide before I left which, if I remember correctly, was several weeks before Magwood.

One piece of advice: if you can't find a yellow arrow (happened on several occasions) do not ask locals for directions! Between Alicante and Cuenca I only heard one local shout out Buen Camino because he was familiar with the Lana and knew the way out of town. Everyone else wanted to send me via "the shortest route" which was inevitably via a carretera!

We had a grand time on the virtual Lana, but how much better to be able to walk it for real.
Buen camino, @tecap - Just go - close your eyes and jump!

You'll see after a few days if your anxiety is justified. If so, you can always find your way to a more populated route. If not, you can just keep walking. Whichever, all good!

Buen camino, @tecap,

As you can see from this thread, there is a good bunch of us who would love to be walking with you. My 2020 camino was to have started in Alicante, and I am hoping to walk at least a part of that route in 2022. So I for one will be very eager to hear how things go for you.

And never fear — you haven’t forgotten how to do this. It’s just like riding a bike, and once you take your first steps you will be right back in that zone that keeps us all coming back for more.

It’s just a little more than a week now, so close your eyes, hold your nose and jump. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
“Come to the edge," he said.
"We can't, we're afraid!" they answered.
"Come to the edge," he said.
"We can't, we will fall!" they answered.
"Come to the edge," he said.
And so they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew."

(slightly abridged)
Christopher Logue but frequently attributed to Guillaume Apollinaire

Thank you for all your words of encouragement. Things currently don't look very promising; accommodation appears patchy now that I have started contacting persons and organisations directly. Using my very limited grasp of the Spanish language I have learned that the albergues at Novelda and Caudete are currently closed and the hotel at Sax appears reluctant to engage with me. The albergue at Orito appears to be open.

Thank you for all your words of encouragement. Things currently don't look very promising; accommodation appears patchy now that I have started contacting persons and organisations directly. Using my very limited grasp of the Spanish language I have learned that the albergues at Novelda and Caudete are currently closed and the hotel at Sax appears reluctant to engage with me. The albergue at Orito appears to be open.
Thanks are due to you - we are all desperate for information and you are blazing a trail for us. If you have trouble communicating with accommodation for next night, the people in the place you are staying will probably help out. Good luck and Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You may have these addresses of hotels in Sax:
Casa Saxrural C. Hermanos Pinzón, 15 633934987 25 €
Hostal Los Almendros Pje. Las Suertes, 99 965475032

And in Caudete:
(Albergue de peregrinos Santa Ana Pza. Santa Ana, 2 655406144 657200242 5 €)
Hostal Caudete Av. Valencia, 1 965827600 667863791 22 €
Hostal Marisa C. Las Eras, 117 965827062 647004886 619772403 - www.hostalmarisa.es info@hostalmarisa.e

The hospitalero at Novelda says the albergues in Orito and Petrer are open and that Caudete will open on October 18.

Don’t lose hope yet!!!
That fits in with something I was going to write. It looks like tecap is following the Amigos stages. O'Brien suggests stopping in Orito and Petrer and they seem more sensible stages.

This is the albergue in Petrer (Petrel):
Albergue municipal rural Ferrusa Pda. Ferrusa, s/n 966989400 (Ayuntam.)

Orito
Casa del Peregrino Pza. Nuestra 965621004 - info@acogidacristianaenelcamino.

I have been obsessively planning and reading for the Lana for next year (including the virtual Lana) using the Amigos guide and O'Brien guide. The Spanish one has the most minute detail on the route, but is a bit vague about accommodation whereas O'Brien's English guide is much more informative about important stuff like getting keys, and the stages make more sense, I think.

I emailed the Amigos in Alicante but haven't heard back. It may be that the email address is not active. I'll try another channel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Novelda + Caudete are five-stars albergues: I hope they open soon and that you will find shelter there.

Orito is much more humble (albergue + the hamlet itstelf) but has the advantage of being "only" 24 kms from Alicante.

I don't know what is up with Sax: the hotel has been known to take in pilgrims before. But the last few years I have had reports that hospitality/knowledge about the Camino is declining and that it is difficult to get hold of them.

Please let us know how you percieve this route in October!

/BP

The hospitalero at Novelda says the albergues in Orito and Petrer are open and that Caudete will open on October 18.

And I speak good Spanish, so I am happy to call places on your behalf, just PM me.

Don’t lose hope yet!!!
Unfortunately and with a large amount of regret I have finally decided to postponed the walk along the Lana until next spring. I have called it a day on all this extra planning, hours and hours of Googling, staring at my maps, re-reading all the previous accounts and murdering the Spanish language by means of (por) the telephone. I fear that the remainder of the walk may be as difficult to arrange as these first few days and I don't really want to spoil my enjoyment of a walk that I have been so looking forward to. The final straw was the option of spending £33 for a night in a caravan with a shared toilet at Sax, when I had exhausted other available options and combinations of distances and accommodation. As the cost of my flight is less than the previously mentioned £33 and with the possible prospects of spending almost a half of my time in hostels and hotels when I really enjoy the welcome, surprises, variety, challenges and delights of albergue living, I have decided to again become a 'no show' on Ryanair's passenger flight list for Alicante. I would like to thank all who have supplied suggestions, offers of support and encouragement and perhaps our paths may cross some time next year on the Lana.

Unfortunately and with a large amount of regret I have finally decided to postponed the walk along the Lana until next spring. I have called it a day on all this extra planning, hours and hours of Googling, staring at my maps, re-reading all the previous accounts and murdering the Spanish language by means of (por) the telephone. I fear that the remainder of the walk may be as difficult to arrange as these first few days and I don't really want to spoil my enjoyment of a walk that I have been so looking forward to. The final straw was the option of spending £33 for a night in a caravan with a shared toilet at Sax, when I had exhausted other available options and combinations of distances and accommodation. As the cost of my flight is less than the previously mentioned £33 and with the possible prospects of spending almost a half of my time in hostels and hotels when I really enjoy the welcome, surprises, variety, challenges and delights of albergue living, I have decided to again become a 'no show' on Ryanair's passenger flight list for Alicante. I would like to thank all who have supplied suggestions, offers of support and encouragement and perhaps our paths may cross some time next year on the Lana.
C'est la vie. We might see us on the Lana. We have at least some prospect of international travel come April.

Too bad but understand completely! As I still have Cuenca to Burgos to walk we may sometime meet up.

Ultreia!

I just got this PM from a forum member and thought it was a good thing to share more broadly:

If anyone drops in on this thread, I have not exactly great news. Several albergues on the Lana are open but several are also 'Cerrado Temporalmente' (closed temporarily). This is a link to the Spanish 'Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago' and should take you to the link for albergues on the Lana.

https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/caminos/buscalbergue.asp

The ones closed have 'Cerrado Temporalmente' in red underneath the name. On a more encouraging note, it does say temporarily, so there is a good chance most of not all will be open by next year. The very fact that some are already open is probably a good sign. Buen camino.

I also wanted to point out that when I clicked on the link it told me it was a suspicious site because its certificate had lapsed. If you get the same message, know that I went ahead and there was no problem.

Thank you for sharing this. In 2020 I had collated a list of hostels for the different places I had originally planned to stop; this was my insurance in case an albergue was full. When I tried to make contact in the last two weeks, many returned messages that they were not taking booking! I was not sure of the significance of these messages. This along with a conversation with a town hall who were uncertain if their albergue was open or not: basically the message appeared to be turn up and see, gave me concerns about the availability of reasonably priced accommodation. I'm sure (seriously hoping) this will improve by spring.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hmmm, this is a bit depressing. I was (am) hoping to get to the Lana in about a week and go south from Santo Domingo de Silos to Baides. At the moment I'm on the Ebro, where it doesn't matter if an albergue is closed (and very few are), as there's probably a pensión and if that's full a train or bus forward or back to somewhere else. On the Castellano-Aragonés it's not quite that simple, but the lifeline of the N122 will help in an emergency, and there's never anybody up there anyway, so it's not going to be much different this year.

But in some places on the Lana there is no such lifeline - if you arrive hot and tired and find the albergue is closed, the pueblo of 20-100 inhabitants will have no alternative: no hostal, no taxi and no bus, so you will have to hope it's a dry mild night and that the church has a porticada (the allegedly earliest in the world is at San Esteban de Gormaz on the Lana, so you may get lucky). Quintanarraya and Caracena look like particular problems for me if the albergues are closed, which the website says is the case with the first, and the second has a population of 8 so it might be better not to risk busking it in my usual way. Hey ho.

I know it is of little use to Alan but I see the albergue at Almansa showing it to be temporarily closed but when I phoned the dear Sisters of the Convent of the Esclaves de Maria they informed me that their albergue was open and offered to reserve me a bed if I did start walking. So I am wondering if their is a time delay in updating information to this list. It may be worth a few investigative phone calls to establish the validity of the information.

If anyone drops in on this post, I have not exactly great news. Several albergues on the Lana are open but several are also 'Cerrado Temporalmente' (closed temporarily). This is a link to the Spanish 'Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago' and should take you to the link for albergues on the Lana.
The ones closed have 'Cerrado Temporalmente' in red underneath the name. On a more encouraging note, it does say temporarily, so there is a good chance most if not all will be open by next year. The very fact that some are already open is probably a good sign. Buen camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am hoping for a week on the Lana mid November. Though as a lack of training due to a minor injury in September I am planning some shorter days and just plan to reach Almansa (as it has easy transport back to Alicante). So any updates on the situation this autumn would be welcome. Though as it is only a week (and my holiday funds have built up over the last 2 years) I kind of suspect I might try cheap pensions/hostels rather than rely on albergues.

Just adding some further details as I have been planning - the Albergue at Caudete is open and their website gives detailed instructions about the process!
http://caminosantiagocaudete.blogspot.com/2021/09/protocolo-de-medidas-del-albergue-de.html?m=1

Several hostals/pensions seem to be full -Hotel Santa Ana in my poor Spanish on the phone is booked out. Bar Marisa in Caudete is also booked out but was helpful and said if a room became available they would email me. It seems there are workers etc staying longer term.
Getting more creative - I did have more success with Airbnb in several places - including Rebolledo (I arrive late morning in Alicante - still tossing up whether to go to Orito -but still have yet to comfirm if there is actually somewhere open to stay at Orito)

Just adding some further details as I have been planning - the Albergue at Caudete is open and their website gives detailed instructions about the process!
http://caminosantiagocaudete.blogspot.com/2021/09/protocolo-de-medidas-del-albergue-de.html?m=1

Several hostals / pensions seem to be full -Hotel Santa Ana in my poor Spanish on the phone is booked out. Bar Marisa in Caudete is also booked out but was helpful and said if a room became available they would email me. It seems there are workers etc staying longer term.
Getting more creative - I did have more success with Airbnb in several places - including Rebolledo (I arrive late morning in Alicante - still tossing up whether to go to Orito -but still have yet to comfirm if there is actually somewhere open to stay at Orito )
I found a similar pattern with hotels not taking bookings, for reasons unknown. The albergue in Orito is open but there does appear more difficulties further along the path. Hostel Marisa was similarly very helpful to me and offered a room at 28 euros. The following is a link to the forum on the Gronze website which tells of the difficulties of Penedo who is having with accommodation problems.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hmmm, this is a bit depressing. I was (am) hoping to get to the Lana in about a week and go south from Santo Domingo de Silos to Baides. At the moment I'm on the Ebro, where it doesn't matter if an albergue is closed (and very few are), as there's probably a pensión and if that's full a train or bus forward or back to somewhere else. On the Castellano-Aragonés it's not quite that simple, but the lifeline of the N122 will help in an emergency, and there's never anybody up there anyway, so it's not going to be much different this year.

But in some places on the Lana there is no such lifeline - if you arrive hot and tired and find the albergue is closed, the pueblo of 20-100 inhabitants will have no alternative: no hostal, no taxi and no bus, so you will have to hope it's a dry mild night and that the church has a porticada (the allegedly earliest in the world is at San Esteban de Gormaz on the Lana, so you may get lucky). Quintanarraya and Caracena look like particular problems for me if the albergues are closed, which the website says is the case with the first, and the second has a population of 8 so it might be better not to risk busking it in my usual way. Hey ho.
Alan - I saw something from you on the facebook site for the Lana/Levante/Ebro, and wondered how you are progressing southward on the Lana. Are you finding places to stay, other than porticadas? I'm particularly interested in knowing, as I am still thinking of starting in Alicanta and walking north on the Lana in November. At my age, I'm just not good at sleeping on the ground, even though I'll have my air mattress and bivy sac with me just in case.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just walked the section Fresno de Caracena to Mandonaya. All albergues open: Fresno, roof and floor in ayuntamiento, free; Caracena, acogida provided by village bar (recommended, donativo); Retortillo de Soria, private albergue La Muralla open (I was told); Miedes de Atienza, key to old school from village bar (5€); Atienza, in swimming pool complex (didn't sleep there); Mandonaya, room (plus shower) in school complex (donativo, the barman will call the town hall for the key). The mayor of Mandonaya told me Trillo's albergues are both open (Trillo and Viana de Mondéjar) but didn't know further south. If you're not going vía Sigüenza, Mundicamino says there is acogida in the social centre at Baides, but I only saw the reference after I'd walked through - saw no signs in town, and nobody in the village bar mentioned it.

Last edited:
Just walked the section Fresno de Caracena to Mandonaya. All albergues open: Fresno, roof and floor in ayuntamiento, free; Caracena, acogida provided by village bar (recommended, donativo); Retortillo de Soria, private albergue La Muralla open (I was told); Miedes de Atienza, key to old school from village bar (5€); Atienza, in swimming pool complex (didn't sleep there); Mandonaya, room (plus shower) in school complex (donativo, the barman will call the town hall for the key). The mayor of Mandonaya told me Trillo's albergues are both open (Trillo and Viana de Mondéjar) but didn't know further south. If you're not going vía Sigüenza, Mundicamino says there is acogida in the social centre at Baides, but I only saw the reference after I'd walked through - saw no signs in town, and nobody in the village bar mentioned it.
Thank you so much for this information. I had gone ahead and bought a plane ticket yesterday to Alicante, figuring I would wing it despite possible closures, but this reassures me that I can do it without too many nights in the open. By the way, for years I have enjoyed reading your accounts of camino wanderings. So thank you for those, too.

Thank you so much for this information. I had gone ahead and bought a plane ticket yesterday to Alicante, figuring I would wing it despite possible closures, but this reassures me that I can do it without too many nights in the open. By the way, for years I have enjoyed reading your accounts of camino wanderings. So thank you for those, too.
Looking forward to hearing your updates along the way too. When are you hoping to start?

There is only so many times you can clean and polish the cars, pot on fuchsia cuttings, sweep up the leaves from the walnut trees and prepare the garden for winter; so here I am sat in the Market Hostel in Alicante waiting to start walking the Lana tomorrow morning. I could not wait until spring. I thought I was going get a stamp at the Basilica when I arrived this evening, the doors were open, the lights were on but I managed to reverse out quietly before the priest taking mass spotted me. So a return to the Basilica tomorrow morning, hopefully a stamp and onwards to Orito. I only plan/ hope to walk to Cuenca in 12 days and return home on the 18th. It all depends upon the availability of accommodation.

Maybe November 12th, if all goes well.
It is not the best of news for travel. I could not get into the Orito albergue. The town hall were not answering the phone this morning. The bar Nuevo has shut down and there is no information on who to call to get in. I sat and waited but the camino did not provide. The Basilica did open this morning until the 11.30 service. I left before this time, so no stamp. The two hostels in Novelda were both complete. The kind owner of the suiza opened a mothballed room on the top floor which I am still trying to air. He still charged the going rate of 34 euros. What with a 30 mph wind opposing every step

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry I cut myself off.
There was a 30mph wind that opposed every step which added a hour to my time and I arrived in Novelda after dark. I can't find any available accommodation in Sax so it's the 25 euro caravan with double sofa beds just outside of town. I think I may be booking a flight home early next week.

Well, wish me luck. I'm planning to follow in your footsteps starting November 12th or 13th - and never great to start on a weekend. Let me know what you find opened (or closed) as you proceed. I guess I will take my bivy sac and mat, though it has been decades since I have slept without a bed or at least a polideportivo mat. But I feel driven to walk, after all this time, and really want to try the Lana, though as a backup I could walk the Ebro or Invierno - two walks I haven't yet done. Or maybe I should look at the other approaches to the Lana, as described in some other thread, if I get no response from Orito or Novelda. I wish I had spent more pandemic time studying Spanish......

I thought I would add in my plans for later in Nov. As I am planning a short first day, I did find off route in Rebolledo an Airbnb room run by the restaurant in the service area there (look to be basic motel type rooms). But this then puts me on to staying in Elda/Petrer, Villena, Caudete, Almansa (where my walk will stop as it has easy transport back to Alicante) and I have confirmed albergues are open or have booked accommodation. I was avoiding staying in Sax as it seems now to be problematic (and those caravans look a grim option in winter). It leaves me doing a very short day from Villena to Caudete (I might have doubled a stage up but it's not worth it given Almansa as my stopping point)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I could not get into the Orito albergue.
Was the Casa del peregrino closed as well?

I can't find any available accommodation in Sax
Did you try Fuente el Cura? They seem to be open according to Google. But I understand they may have cut down on available rooms due to pandemic. Or so I explain the lack of accomodation on my own recent Camino, in hostals or hotels that I had stayed at previous years without problem.

There was a 30mph wind that opposed every step
Sara Dhooma (a Camino vlogger) walked the same stage in early November a few years ago. She met the same weather! Seems like the beginning of the Lana is harsh in autumn!

/BP

I could walk the Ebro or Invierno - two walks I haven't yet done.

Both of them were possible to walk this year in Summer. It just took a bit longer to find accomodation (I always call one day ahead). I didn't need to sleep outside. But all together, the prices ranged from 0 euros (sports hall) to 77 euros (hotel). The hotel was an exception though...!

Was the Casa del peregrino closed as well?

Did you try Fuente el Cura? They seem to be open according to Google. But I understand they may have cut down on available rooms due to pandemic. Or so I explain the lack of accomodation on my own recent Camino, in hostals or hotels that I had stayed at previous years without problem.

Sara Dhooma (a Camino vlogger) walked the same stage in early November a few years ago. She met the same weather! Seems like the beginning of the Lana is harsh in autumn!

/BP
The casa de perigrino was closed and no answer to the phone number supplied by KOB and other resources. Waited until 2 hours before dark before scuttling off to Novelda. I talked with Paco Serra this morning and he was not aware that the Bar Nuevo had now closed down when he gave me the latest news in a call last Monday. I am not familiar with the area but very little appears open and with the limited accommodation appearing full. I was directed to a square in Novelda last night to get something to eat. My host telling me of the 4 restaurants there. When I got there, 3 were closed and the 4th was mopping the floors; it was 21.15. The mopper directed me to McDonald's on the edge of town! This is not the Spanish way of life of my previous, limited experience or is it the season of the year. I gave up and went to the supermarket tonight after visiting 5 bars in Sax tonight to find them all closed! A second night of no hot food as I don't eat until finishing walking. The grand, un-marked circular tour of Elda was a blast today.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have been texting with Raul, the hospitalero in Orito, who assures me he will be there to give me a key and accept payment. His number is 34 96 56 21 00 04. I got that number from Father Laureano who texted me that he is no longer there. So I am hopeful I'll have a bed in Orito next week when I start.
I have also been corresponding with Alfonso at the Amigo office in Alicante. He writes me that the hostel in Novelda is closed. The Amigo office in Alicante is open, and I will stop in and hopefully get current information about closures along the way. One night at a time I guess.
Now if I just can get my wikiloc app on my old cell phone to work, maybe I will be ready to start.

I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you will succeed. I thought I had planned well but I have been thwarted by my own incompetent with the Spanish language and lack of commitment along with the occasional navigational error.

I have been texting with Raul, the hospitalero in Orito, who assures me he will be there to give me a key and accept payment. His number is 34 96 56 21 00 04. I got that number from Father Laureano who texted me that he is no longer there. So I am hopeful I'll have a bed in Orito next week when I start.
I have also been corresponding with Alfonso at the Amigo office in Alicante. He writes me that the hostel in Novelda is closed. The Amigo office in Alicante is open, and I will stop in and hopefully get current information about closures along the way. One night at a time I guess.
Now if I just can get my wikiloc app on my old cell phone to work, maybe I will be ready to start.
How do you correspond with Alfonso? I have tried emailing the amigos in Alicante but had no reply.

I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you will succeed. I thought I had planned well but I have been thwarted by my own incompetent with the Spanish language and lack of commitment along with the occasional navigational error.

Are you still on the Camino? You talked about an early flight home... Maybe switch over to another route with better accomodation?

Did you find any places in particular to be difficult to navigate?

Walk as far as Villena yesterday and took the train back to Alicante. Just about to board a flight home to Bournemouth. I made stupid errors in navigation which cost time around Elda. The GPS route into Sax, along a raised concrete path ended in a bamboo hedge around a horse farm. The surprised farmer kindly led me past his dogs and around the piles of horse manure to show me back to the route. Time to go home and consider how to resove my inadequacies.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walk as far as Villena yesterday and took the train back to Alicante. Just about to board a flight home to Bournemouth. I made stupid errors in navigation which cost time around Elda. The GPS route into Sax, along a raised concrete path ended in a bamboo hedge around a horse farm. The surprised farmer kindly led me past his dogs and around the piles of horse manure to show me back to the route. Time to go home and consider how to resove my inadequacies.

The Camino changed a few years ago and now enter Elda from another angle, which for me was confusing. Then there is a spot at the end of Avenida de Sax, in Elda, where I never have seen any arrows: I had to invent my own Camino to get back on track, every time in Elda. I wonder if you stumbled upon any of these difficulties. I have also had trouble getting through to Sax. Your description of the obstacles is somewhat similar to mine. I have learned how to avoid it now: unfortunately, this means entering Sax on the shoulder of the road - where the cars coming towards me are not happy to see me.

I am sure you will be back on the Lana some day, hopefully in better weather conditions as well!!

Take care!

BP

Well, sometimes caminos just have too many challenges, or a string of bad luck. We have all been there. Hopefully you will get back on the lana in the spring when maybe more of the albergues will be open, hotels will have more accommodations, and the wild flowers will be blooming.

I thought I would add in my plans for later in Nov. As I am planning a short first day, I did find off route in Rebolledo an Airbnb room run by the restaurant in the service area there (look to be basic motel type rooms). But this then puts me on to staying in Elda/Petrer, Villena, Caudete, Almansa (where my walk will stop as it has easy transport back to Alicante) and I have confirmed albergues are open or have booked accommodation. I was avoiding staying in Sax as it seems now to be problematic (and those caravans look a grim option in winter). It leaves me doing a very short day from Villena to Caudete (I might have doubled a stage up but it's not worth it given Almansa as my stopping point)
Would you might sharing specific details of your accomodation plans to Almansa? I have a bed in Orito. I am struggling with whether albergues in Petrer, and Caudete are open - and by the time in arrive Spain (where it will be easier for me to make calls then from here in Alaska) the weekend will be approaching. For more peace of mind, I'm trying to plan ahead in these pandemic times with closures and all. I have no idea about Villena, but hope to stay there. My preference is albergues, but am looking at hostals, airbnb, etc. My sense is that further north, albergues are more likely to be open. So what have you learned about Elda/Petrer, Villena, Caudete and Almansa? Much appreciate any help.

Caudete is open but only 3 spaces

Still have to clarify the albergue at Petrer. But Hotel Santa Ana in Elda is not taking pilgrims or bookings at moment. But there are hostels and hotels and airbnbs in Elda/petrer.
For Villena I just booked a room i think it is in Casa Aroma.
In Almansa the nuns are accepting pilgrims too.

Still have to clarify the albergue at Petrer. But Hotel Santa Ana in Elda is not taking pilgrims or bookings at moment. But there are hostels and hotels and airbnbs in Elda/petrer.
Many thanks.

For the record , Petrer does have an albergue de peregrinos which is open and I stayed there last night.
When I started in Alicante, I visited the Association office. A great time, photo op, exchange of presents (They got my American credential and a nice patch from the Anchorage Chapter of the American Friends of the Camino. I got the Spanish credential, a very heavy shell and a heavier guidebook. The guidebook produced by the Alicante folks is from 2019, is in Spanish of course, and supplements their online maps and detailed directions. Lots on ermitas, iglesias etc and brief notes on general history, and some accommodations. If it weren’t so heavy I would keep it. Maybe I will carry it until I find a post office to mail it home.)
Back to the Petrer issue. I had asked at the Alicante Amigos office about Petrer and they at first insisted there was no albergue in Petrer. Then admitted there was one but they didn’t like it. Recommended hotels instead.
So for several days I made phone calls to the Ayuntamiento, the local police, and a variety of numbers that were supposedly Hospitaleros. I spoke with Senora Teresa who told me I could stay in the albergue and to go the police when I got to town. Tourist office confirmed there is an open albergue. On arrival at policía local (on Avenita de la Libertad, 32, police called Israel who drove me to albergue. Great location , next to the church in center of old town, a stone’s throw from the tourist office. It is tiny. One bedroom just big enough for two beds, with sheets, pillows and blankets. No heat. Clean. 1 chair. Hot shower (Israel turned the hot water on for me.) no key, so I leave door unlatched (no security problems I was told), and close door firmly when I leave. No payment requested and I forgot to ask about a donativo. I was just so happy to have persisted in my quest for a pilgrim place in this little town, challenged as I am by my Spanish inadequacies. I thought it was a perfect place for one (or 2) people who wanted a good night’s sleep in a simple place. Nice meal in the nearby square, and very friendly.
The sign above the door says Albergue de Peregrinos, though I think it is used for a variety of purposes, possibly related to Caritas, which is next door, and the church. It is essential to call one or more days in advance, as that is the first question the police asked me. The easiest way might be to call the tourist office, during their limited hours, and they may know the right hospitalero to call.
Now in Villena in the Pension Casa de los Aromas, which is fine, 36 E is the reduced pilgrim price. I suspect there are cheaper places but I did not inquire.
The hospitalero at Caudete is expecting me tomorrow, and the sisters in Almanza the day after. I’ll think about Alpera and Alatoz tomorrow.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For the record , Petrer does have an albergue de peregrinos which is open and I stayed there last night.
When I started in Alicante, I visited the Association office. A great time, photo op, exchange of presents (They got my American credential and a nice patch from the Anchorage Chapter of the American Friends of the Camino. I got the Spanish credential, a very heavy shell and a heavier guidebook. The guidebook produced by the Alicante folks is from 2019, is in Spanish of course, and supplements their online maps and detailed directions. Lots on ermitas, iglesias etc and brief notes on general history, and some accommodations. If it weren’t so heavy I would keep it. Maybe I will carry it until I find a post office to mail it home.)
Back to the Petrer issue. I had asked at the Alicante Amigos office about Petrer and they at first insisted there was no albergue in Petrer. Then admitted there was one but they didn’t like it. Recommended hotels instead.
So for several days I made phone calls to the Ayuntamiento, the local police, and a variety of numbers that were supposedly Hospitaleros. I spoke with Senora Teresa who told me I could stay in the albergue and to go the police when I got to town. Tourist office confirmed there is an open albergue. On arrival at policía local (on Avenita de la Libertad, 32, police called Israel who drove me to albergue. Great location , next to the church in center of old town, a stone’s throw from the tourist office. It is tiny. One bedroom just big enough for two beds, with sheets, pillows and blankets. No heat. Clean. 1 chair. Hot shower (Israel turned the hot water on for me.) no key, so I leave door unlatched (no security problems I was told), and close door firmly when I leave. No payment requested and I forgot to ask about a donativo. I was just so happy to have persisted in my quest for a pilgrim place in this little town, challenged as I am by my Spanish inadequacies. I thought it was a perfect place for one (or 2) people who wanted a good night’s sleep in a simple place. Nice meal in the nearby square, and very friendly.
The sign above the door says Albergue de Peregrinos, though I think it is used for a variety of purposes, possibly related to Caritas, which is next door, and the church. It is essential to call one or more days in advance, as that is the first question the police asked me. The easiest way might be to call the tourist office, during their limited hours, and they may know the right hospitalero to call.
Now in Villena in the Pension Casa de los Aromas, which is fine, 36 E is the reduced pilgrim price. I suspect there are cheaper places but I did not inquire.
The hospitalero at Caudete is expecting me tomorrow, and the sisters in Almanza the day after. I’ll think about Alpera and Alatoz tomorrow.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this, and thank you for being a trail-blazer for the rest of us. We admire your persistence. Buen camino.

Buen camino, @Sitkapilgrim! Nice to know you're on your way - so thank you for posting this.
And wishing you a buen camino, with a lot of ease in getting accommodation!
Quick note: Caudete albergue is open and exceptional (but no kitchen use during a pandemic). The sisters in Almansa same as usual - open, efficient checkin snd hot water. The albergue in Alpera is pandemic closed and I am staying in the 21E Hostel El Cazador near entrance to town, and tomorrow in Alatoz, the hospitalero is expecting me, albergue open.

I am having cell phone issues, so may not report often, but will write in when I can with news of accommodations.
It is amazing to be walking after two years of not, and harder than I had remembered. But then I am 2 years older, and of an age where 2 years can make a difference.

Quick note: Caudete albergue is open and exceptional (but no kitchen use during a pandemic). The sisters in Almansa same as usual - open, efficient checkin snd hot water. The albergue in Alpera is pandemic closed and I am staying in the 21E Hostel El Cazador near entrance to town, and tomorrow in Alatoz, the hospitalero is expecting me, albergue open.

I am having cell phone issues, so may not report often, but will write in when I can with news of accommodations.
It is amazing to be walking after two years of not, and harder than I had remembered. But then I am 2 years older, and of an age where 2 years can make a difference.

Tomorrow to Alatoz is a beautiful stage, at least in summer. Enjoy!

Alatoz albergue and hospitalero Antonio súperb. I have never enjoyed such hospitality- which involved being driven 2 evenings in a row to other towns for meals. Antonio reports the albergue in Alpera closed not because of the pandemic, but lack of a person to take responsibility for it. On to Casas Ibanez where the albergue is closed. Hostal Aros at 27E was of course very comfortable. But the dinner at El mirador overlooking Alcalá de Jucar at night, driven there by hospitalero Antonio of Alatoz, was a meal to remember, and not of the pilgrim variety. Antonio must know every camino in Spain and is just a pleasure to visit with.

Such beautiful countryside these days.
In Villarta the room in the library building offered to pilgrims is open. The man in the bar opposite showed us the room. No bed or mat. One blanket. I didn’t check for a shower in the adjacent bathroom. I didn’t notice if the room had heat, but it did not feel cold. I think I would have been content there, but fellow pilgrim who had joined me wanted a bed, so we stayed at Hostal Los Tubos for 25E each. It was convenient to have the grocery store 3 minutes away.
And then off to Campillo de Altobuey where the polideportivo is still available. With no heat and reportedly no thick mats, I had mixed feelings and ended up letting Maria drive us to a bungalow (25E per person) which had beds, heat and a kitchen, not far from where camino enters the town.
I then opted to have a short day to the little town of Paracuellos de la Vega where I am staying in the Casa Rural Mirador. al Castillo. The woman who runs it, also runs the one bar and has taken great care of me, taking me to the store, which closes at 2pm. Monday Is the day her bar is closed and never opens early either - but she has fixed me several coffees to heat up in the morning along with tostadas and all.
I have called ahead and the albergue parroquial in Fuentes is open. Also the Cuenca albergue is open.
Snow is forecast for tomorrow. I am worried. How does one find yellow arrows in snow? I have never done this. My usual backup Wikiloc is not reliable on my failing phone this Camino. From Paracuellos to Monteagudo de las Salinas, can I follow a road about the same 18 km distance?

Snow is forecast for tomorrow. I am worried. How does one find yellow arrows in snow? I have never done this. My usual backup Wikiloc is not reliable on my failing phone this Camino. From Paracuellos to Monteagudo de las Salinas, can I follow a road about the same 18 km distance?

In Kevin O'Brien's guide to the Lana, that I cannot find anymore in the Ressources section, he said it was possible to walk through Almodóvar del Pinar, if I remember correctly. On what road and how long it is, I don't know. Perhaps other forum members can help me find Kevin's guide somewhere. Anyway, between Paracuellos and Monteagudo the Camino is pretty flat (except for the hike on the carretera a few kms uphill right after Paracuellos). On the other hand, the next part between Monteagudo and Fuentes is higher up in the hills, in the woods with bad cell service (at least for me) and no villages for about 23 kms. I wouldn't want to be caught in the snow up there...! How much snow is forecast??

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have Kevin’s guide downloaded. I too could not find it under Resources, but found it in a thread somewhere. His tarmac route alternative is from Campillo to Monteagudo, bypassing Paracuellos, so not helpful.
And my phone is just not into downloading road maps, this trip. I don’t know how much snow is forecast, but if more than minimal, I’ll ask the locals what to do. I don’t mind the cold too much, but I do like to see yellow arrows.

I have Kevin’s guide downloaded. I too could not find it under Resources, but found it in a thread somewhere. His tarmac route alternative is from Campillo to Monteagudo, bypassing Paracuellos, so not helpful.
And my phone is just not into downloading road maps, this trip. I don’t know how much snow is forecast, but if more than minimal, I’ll ask the locals what to do. I don’t mind the cold too much, but I do like to see yellow arrows.

Good - If I was in your shoes I would stay in Monteagudo de las Salinas (preferably in front of the fireplace in Rincón de Sandra) and ask Sandra & family, or the people in the bar, how they percieve the Camino to Fuentes in winter. Whatever you do, take care!

Not sure how helpful this it. It is the amigos guide. It is in Spanish and it is very, very big (and a little out of date). But it does contain actual maps and as it is a pdf, it could be downloaded to help you navigate once you have good enough wi-fi connection. I have extracted these maps onto a word doc and will convert it to a pdf and post that as soon as I can.

Attachments

• guia-camino-de-la-lana-Spanish version.pdf
    27.6 MB · Views: 19
Not sure how helpful this it. It is the amigos guide. It is in Spanish and it is very, very big (and a little out of date). But it does contain actual maps and as it is a pdf, it could be downloaded to help you navigate once you have good enough wi-fi connection. I have extracted these maps onto a word doc and will convert it to a pdf and post that as soon as I can.
Had to do it in two bites. Now I know why they call it 'Acrobat'. Anyway, this is the extracted detailed maps from the amigos guide so shorter and more manageable and not too many pages if you want to print it out. I'll do Cuenca to Burgos later today.

Attachments

• ALICANTE TO CUENCA TOPOGRAPHICAL MAPS.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 8
Here we go, part 2. I made screenshots from the amigos guide maps and strung them together south to north (i.e. Burgos is at the top) so that they could be downloaded or printed out and read like a normal map. Excellent as it is, the amigos guide is huge, mainly because it has incredibly detailed track notes so that is why I chopped it up into separate features. I did the same with the sketch maps and profiles and will convert to pdf and post that later. Hope they are useful.

Attachments

• CUENCA TO BURGOS TOPOGRAPHICAL MAPS.pdf
    11.2 MB · Views: 15
@Sitkapilgrim, here is one road option (the official camino is the turquoise line):
Screenshot_20211123-091810_OsmAnd.jpgScreenshot_20211123-091941_OsmAnd.jpg
Even if the weather is foul and snow makes navigation a challenge, you could still take this road route and stay in Monteagudo by taking the road after Almodovar.
Buen camino! May the snow be laughable by your experienced standards!

Here are the sketch maps (less detail, but whole stage) and stage profiles all lifted from the amigos guide. Unfortunately, some stages are out of date e.g. Cuenca t0 Bascañuna, but it is better than nothing and it is usable for most stages.

Attachments

• 3 MAPS AND PROFILES.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
Here are the sketch maps (less detail, but whole stage) and stage profiles all lifted from the amigos guide. Unfortunately, some stages are out of date e.g. Cuenca t0 Bascañuna, but it is better than nothing and it is usable for most stages.
Your dedication is admirable! Applause is ringing out for you!

Thanks everyone. These resources are great and well presented.

The snow held off - now coming tomorrow supposedly but the locals don’t think so. I think the super detailed Alicante guide is my best bet in snow.
Gorgeous easy walk today between Paracuellos and Monteagudo de las Salinas - not a soul or vehicle all day. I first heard and then saw 3 roe deer this morning - large animals and so dramatic with their huge white tails as they bounced away.

The casa rural at the entry to the village of Monteagudo is closed right now. I was trying to connect with the municipal acogida, which is reportedly open, but ran into Sandra a minute after arriving in town, so am, of course, in her casa rural, very comfortable except for being chilled despite heat

Thanks everyone. These resources are great and well presented.

The snow held off - now coming tomorrow supposedly but the locals don’t think so. I think the super detailed Alicante guide is my best bet in snow.
Gorgeous easy walk today between Paracuellos and Monteagudo de las Salinas - not a soul or vehicle all day. I first heard and then saw 3 roe deer this morning - large animals and so dramatic with their huge white tails as they bounced away.

The casa rural at the entry to the village of Monteagudo is closed right now. I was trying to connect with the municipal acogida, which is reportedly open, but ran into Sandra a minute after arriving in town, so am, of course, in her casa rural, very comfortable except for being chilled despite heat

Tomorrow is a long, quiet and isolated stage. I predict you won't see any vehicles for 23 kms...! But you will probably see more roe deer in the woods!

Have you checked the weather report? The AEMET has put Valencia and Castilla la Mancha on orange alert for snow and rain due to a low-pressure system from the north. It isn't looking good.

Here is a link to my attempt at an English version of the guide.
Link to Google Docs 1 and 2 Villena to Alcala de Jucar to Cuenca
Thanks Google.
I have removed some of the adjectives.
I am still working on Doc 2 - these are Google docs so everything is shared and updated immediately.
You are welcome to download them.
I am hoping to walk this route in 2023 from Villena.
I walked some of the Camino del Cid - Ruta del Sur in 2019, walking from Villena to Elche (backwards on the Lana). The previous section from Xativa to Villena was really nice. Great towns and mountain villages.

Hey, where did you go? Are you still walking? Please let us know!

Take care!

BP

Last edited:
Thank you for wondering!
I got as far as Atienza, at which point an old problem with sciatica flared and I could not bear any weight on one leg. Luckily a Belgium friend who had planned to come walk the last 5 stages with me, flew down, rented a car instead, and rescued me, as I literally could not walk more than a few steps.
So the remaining ?170 km will have to wait for the spring.
And I plan to do it with a phone that can both hold its battery and have the capacity to use wikilocs for added peace of mind.
I had a wonderful wonderful walk, the best Camino ever (though I warn you I say that after every Camino), and will enter a few notes when I get home in 4 days. Ruta de la Lana is a gem.

Thank you for wondering!
I got as far as Atienza, at which point an old problem with sciatica flared and I could not bear any weight on one leg. Luckily a Belgium friend who had planned to come walk the last 5 stages with me, flew down, rented a car instead, and rescued me, as I literally could not walk more than a few steps.
So the remaining ?170 km will have to wait for the spring.
And I plan to do it with a phone that can both hold its battery and have the capacity to use wikilocs for added peace of mind.
I had a wonderful wonderful walk, the best Camino ever (though I warn you I say that after every Camino), and will enter a few notes when I get home in 4 days. Ruta de la Lana is a gem.

Oh no, I hope you recover soon. The expression "The curse of the Lana" comes to my mind, considering the large number of pilgrim who have had physical problems along the way. My own problems started when I was in... Atienza. Weird!

Please do a summary of your Camino. Did you walk through Sigüenza? It must be a beautiful walk to Sigüenza, even in Winter.

/BP

I got as far as Atienza, at which point an old problem with sciatica flared and I could not bear any weight on one leg. Luckily a Belgium friend who had planned to come walk the last 5 stages with me, flew down, rented a car instead, and rescued me,
Oh! And there I assumed you were happily and quietly moving along, and we'd hear how it went later.

So sorry, @Sitkapilgrim. Ouch! Sciatica is sooo painful. I hope it has quieted down. In spite of that, it sounds like you had a wonderful walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back