• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

possible to sleep outside without a tent?

shen88

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk 7th may 2015
Hey everyone I am planning to do the camino ingles on the 7th of may this year. I dont plan on prebooking any accommodation and am travelling very light. Is it possible/safe/allowed to just sleep outdoors with just a sleeping bag? I have 4 full days to walk aswel is this an achievable lenght of time do ye think? Sorry if this has been previously answered. Any advice is most appreciated!
Thankyou :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is possible, but you'll likely freeze. It's very cold and rainy in early May. Last year, there was snow in June, so you may want to rethink this.

It is possible, but you'll likely freeze. It's very cold and rainy in early May. Last year, there was snow in June, so you may want to rethink this.
Hi annie thanks so much for your reply, wow I really was expecting heat! Im from Ireland and the weather here has been just beautiful for the past 2 weeks so I was presuming spain would be better! How naive of me! Thanks a milion I must really rethink my packing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola and welcome.
It is 120kms from Ferrol to Santiago, which can be shortened by starting at Neda/Narón - the last place for your first stamp and to receive a Compostela. As Annie says it could be cold and wet, or the warm weather could be good but maybe still wet. I would suggest downloading Johnnie's guide and checking out where to sleep for your Camino rather than sleeping out with all the problems that could bring - including food, toilets, washing facilities etc. It isn't really an area for sleeping/camping out.
Buen camino

Hola and welcome.
It is 120kms from Ferrol to Santiago, which can be shortened by starting at Neda/Narón - the last place for your first stamp and to receive a Compostela. As Annie says it could be cold and wet, or the warm weather could be good but maybe still wet. I would suggest downloading Johnnie's guide and checking out where to sleep for your Camino rather than sleeping out with all the problems that could bring - including food, toilets, washing facilities etc. It isn't really an area for sleeping/camping out.
Buen camino

Hey, thanks so much for your response. Okay I will. I like the idea of sleeping under the stars at least one night so perhaps weather will be kind to me and this can be a possibility! Just booked my flights so 2 weeks of perhaps a little more research is needed!
Thanks again :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is nice to sleep outside and if you have a warm sleepingbag and a mat, you will be fine. I don't know the Spanish laws and regulations when it comes to sleeping outside in not designated areas, you better check it. In Bruma - maybe you could sleep in the garden of the Auberge if you get permission from the hospitalero.
You can downloade Johnnie Walkers guide to the Camino Ingles from the Forum - look in the Camino Ingles section. It is very helpful, I read it before leaving but didn't bring it. You won't get lost, there are yellow arrows showing the way everywhere.
Buen Camino to you.

Also whats johnnies guide?!
The downloadable guide to the Camino Inglés by Johnnie Walker of the forum. Donation requested for CSJ which also produces the printed version. We have temporarily taken out the pages we will not need (Coruna to Bruma) and removed the cover to lighten the paperwork a little, but would not walk without it. Excellent guide, lists accomodation as well as albergues and phone numbers which may be needed. The image shows 2012 version but it has been updated.
Buen Camino

It is nice to sleep outside and if you have a warm sleepingbag and a mat, you will be fine. I don't know the Spanish laws and regulations when it comes to sleeping outside in not designated areas, you better check it. In Bruma - maybe you could sleep in the garden of the Auberge if you get permission from the hospitalero.
You can downloade Johnnie Walkers guide to the Camino Ingles from the Forum - look in the Camino Ingles section. It is very helpful, I read it before leaving but didn't bring it. You won't get lost, there are yellow arrows showing the way everywhere.
Buen Camino to you.

Thankyou so much for your help, im very grateful for all of this information. Thats wonderful ill do that now.
Love and light :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Shen
4 days you say? have you worked out your stages? I did it in 5, but met a few people going from Hospital to Santiago in one stretch which I think is about 38km and easy going. Working back from that, you're looking at reaching Pontedueme for day 1 (29k), Betanzos day 2 (20k) and Hospital de Bruma day 3 (27). Much of the way for the 1st two days is along small roads - and not fully rural - mainly people's gardens alongside the road and not really suitable for sleeping out. Further on you might find some suitable places a couple of km the other side of Betanzos - and some a few k before Hospital, but it's mainly farming land. A great pine plantation starts about 8km after Hospital, which I guess is a possibility. But I don't think it'd in any way improve the journey - and the albergues are all nice places to stay and really an important part of the Ingles experience.
If you really want to persevere with the idea then, provided it's not raining I think your main issue will not be cold but the heavy dew. Without some sort of bivy bag you may well get very damp.

Last edited:
There is a positive experience about albergues.
It's hard to explain.
Yes they are crowded, scented with human odours, hot and or cold, loud. Bathroom facilities may be inadequate. You may get a top bunk. They may be short on places to dry clothes or charge devices. Then there's the snoring.
But, I guess, it is the sense of camaraderie. The 'sleeping over with friends' experience that makes it, well, fun.

Paul, so right you are.

But you forgot to mention the ones who go to bed at 3 pm and get up at 4 am or earlier. Met those type at Bruma albergue. Nice bunch. Rattled bags. Turned lights on. Moved chairs that made lots of noise. If you have stayed at the A'berg Bruma, you will know the noise the chairs make. Kitchen area is below the open windows of the second floor sleeping area. These guys slammed exit door going in and out to the bathroom across the patio. Such a nice bunch. Oh did I forget to mention, they are the same ones who will tell you to be quite when they are trying to sleep at 3 or 4 pm!

Another reason I like to tent or bivysac when doing the Caminos.

I have met some wonderful people in the Albergues... And had great times there too. When I do Caminos I use all types of sleeping arrangements. A'bergs, outside, camp grounds, B&B, room for rent, fire station, Hostels and more.

The guy who runs the A'burg Bruma is wonderful. He loves to talk. The new bar/cafe is wonderful too. Down the street between the A'berg and the church. Woman who runs the place is so nice. She will make what you want for breakfast. I ate dinner at 6 pm and breakfast at 730 am.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back