• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possibly a very silly question, but are there many Spanish people walking the Camino?

Jonathon

I've come to Spain to learn and practice Spanish. I'm staying in Madrid for September and taking classes, but I am also in Spain for the month of October with no plans.

I'm really thinking about walking the Camino, but the main reason I came to Spain was to learn and practice Spanish. I was wondering if there are many Spanish people walking the trail to talk to? Or is it mostly tourists from other countries?

Sorry if this question is ridiculous, it's in Spain so I would guess yes. A lot of Spanish people walk it. But just want to double check

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I certainly found many Spanish-speaking folk, around a third to a half of pilgrims - which includes all the South Americans too. Also quite a few North Americans who spoke Spanish as a first language. Which was really useful for us Brits (being mostly non-lingual !) as they were able to seamlessly translate some talks we had at albergues. Also you do come into contact primarily with Spanish people - most of the albergue staff, cafes, shops, farmers - so even we are now able to understand directions, food packets and washing machine instructions in Spanish - including 'Madam you seem to have dropped a string of damp underwear off the back of your bicycle'
I have not done the Camino Frances but from others comments I would say a less busy route might have more locals. And October is a great month in Spain...

I try to learn some Spanish, but speak only a little, but enough to get around. On my first Camino I met a guy from Barcelona, Guiseppe. When I told him I wanted to learn the language, he walked with me for 3 days and educated me :) I learnt quite a lot, and we had some very nice days together. Plus, during and after the days, you will practice Spanish in albergues, shops, cafes, bars, etc.

Actually if you are looking at where the pilgrims come from, Spanish is the native tongue of more than 50% and if you go during high pilgrim season (July / August) there are proportionally more Spaniards on the camino. Plus, don't forget, all the neighbors on the Camino and in the villages are also mostly Spaniards ...
Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I really enjoy the opportunity to practise my ropey Spanish with the locals along the way. It's totally different from the resorts where you speak to people in Spanish and they reply in English. I also walked for a while with a French pilgrim on the way to Finisterre and ropey Spanish was our common language. The locals were probably thinking 'we don't understand what they're saying, but they seem to understand each other!' :confused: Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I love it, Tyrrek... a new definition! I lived in Spain for eight years, but when I left I still only spoke Ropey Spanish! But even Ropey Spanish gets by when looking for a room, or ordering food etc. I enjoy using my RS when on Camino, though in Portugal, I found the Portuguese preferred to try their English rather than try to understand my bad RS!!

Hello jonathan,

Welcome to the forum. As of this month the spanish annual holiday (month of august) is over. Most of them are heading back to work or back to school. However you will still find many spanish peregrinos walking the camino, as hiking and walking seem to be a spanish hobby. You will find especially many spanish walking the trails and part of the camino de santiago on the weekends.

You will have many chances of speaking, practicing and improving your spanish. I have learned and still learning and improving my spanish on the camino. The language of cervante is a very romantic language. You will enjoy your camino.

Que tengas un buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello jonathan
I am a spaniard and as piogaw has said many of the spanish pilgrims have finished their holidays. However you will find many spaniards in october and I am sure they will be glad to encourage you to improve your spanish.
Buen camino

I certainly hope so! I'm doing things opposite to you - first I decided to walk the Camino, which led me to start learning Spanish. Now I've fallen helplessly, hopelessly in love with the language. I'm hoping to spend the bulk of my camino communicating in Spanish, and then maybe even spend a week or two in a Spanish immersion school in Santiago before coming home. I'm glad to see from these posts that I'll have the chance to practice! Although I'll be walking in March/April, so there will be fewer people altogether. Maybe people in restaurants and aubergues will be a bit less busy - and have more time to chat. :)

Being a pilgrim on the Camino is a wonderful opportunity to work on those language skills. The past 4 summers walking have allowed me to brush off those cobwebs in my brain and spruce up my French and Spanish. During 2 Caminos I spoke only Spanish for periods up to 3 weeks. Working as a hospitalero is even beter - many days I was able to use my native English in addition to Dutch, French and Spanish.
Besides with pilgrims, you will also have LOTS of opportunities to speak with locals - if you take the time to stop and chat!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One of my greatest joys in being on the Camino is the chance to interact with the people who serve the pilgrims - in the shops, bars, hotels, buses, etc. There are many people along the Way whose families have been serving the pilgrims for generations, or whose whole families now serve. There is an extra level of richness to a Camino experience when you get to speak with these people, in addition to the pilgrims walking the Way.

Eduardo in Boadilla, Amparo at Confiteria Asturcon in Sahagun, Rachel at Albergue O'Durmienento and Jose at Bar Escalinatas in Sarria, Josefina and Mariano at Os Albergue in Boente, Sonia at A Casa Verde in Salceda...well., it's a very long list!

yes. They are gorgeous, happy, smiley, generous people. Who cope with mispronounced Spanish with tolerance and humour.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back