• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino Blues - Planning the next Camino?

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I have just completed the Camino from SJPDP and am still in a state of disbelief that it is all over. After 10 days back at home, I am still trying to make the adjustment back to my former life (if that is ever possible), so I am already planning my next Camino. I would be interested to know if there are any statistics available about the number of pilgrims who do the Camino a second or even third time, and whether they follow exactly the same route or try a new route. At this stage - 2 weeks later - I am thinking of doing the route between Le Puy and SJPDP, but then the thought of not seeing all those wonderful places on the Camino Frances is quite unbearable.

I would also love to hear from pilgrims who have completed the Camino a second or third time, whether doing it again is a similar life-changing experience, or is there nothing quite like one's first camino. I really would appreciate it if some of the veteran pilgrims could share their experiences.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've walked the frances twice and the portugues once. Although I don't think I'd do the CP again (there's only a limited attraction in walking the hard shoulder of the N550) I'd definitely do the CF as many times as I could.
In fact my fiance and I are planning on visiting our favourite parts of the CF for our honeymoon.

I would be interested to know if there are any statistics available about the number of pilgrims who do the Camino a second or even third time, and whether they follow exactly the same route or try a new route.

I'd be interested to see these stats too - I don't remember them asking that question at the cathedral office though, so I don't know how else they could be collected.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked St Jean- Muxia-Santiago during July and Aug 2010 and readjustment back to abnormal life has been difficult for me.I am now very busy learning French and hopefully one day i can walk a circular route Lourdes- Obanus- Pamplona- St Jean - Lourdes this looks like a nice journey good luck with your plans Paul

Jennysa,

Not quite an answer to your question, but...

If you loved the CF, you are surely going to love Le Puy-to-SJPDP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jennysa,

I walked from Seville in March planning to walk to Santiago, I made it to Salamanca before I became sick, I didn't know what was wrong with me, so I returned home quite content with what I had done, but It was probably only a week before I was thinking, I'm going back. I will either do the Vldp from Seville again or start from Salamanca in 2013, I was warned it was addictive.

Judy.

Well, we did Pamplona to Santiago. Then we went back and started from Le Puy, and figured since we were already there, we'd go onto to Santiago again, and stay in different towns. On the way to Le Puy we spent a night in Vezelay----that looked nice,and the guidebooks are on the shelf ready to go.

Then we went from Prague to Le Puy via Germany and Switzerland, Italy to Arles to Toulouse, and have the Canterbury to Rome books and tracks ready to go....

The first trip is indeed magical. I think the section from Le Puy was the best of the lot.

We try to do a bit of planning for the trip after next, so that we have something to look forward to at the end of each trip.

Hi Jennysa,

I am currently doing my second camino frances (fellow south african). Did the first one in 2008. Never stopped thinking about it so I am back and loving every minute of it. I am currently in Barbadelos and hoping to go on to Finisterre after reaching Santiago.

You´ll be back

Petro

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
your first Camino is indeed special but tends to be full of trepidation, can I do this thing? will it change me? how strong am I? You learn these things-you find you are indeed strong both in mind and body the hard thing is to retain this when back in the so called real world,each time I go back I retain more of what I learn about myself so the gap between the Camino and my world back home recedes into one.
it does not matter which route you take because it is you walking learning enjoying,but most repeaters walk different Camino's and meeting these people enhance the experience, your conversations rise above the where did you start where are you going and why you walk the camino,
this year I even met up with someone I walked with last year there was hardly any conversation just the shared smiles between fellow addicts.
but I have to say the CF is special and I find myself drawn back, it seems each time is different, like any great love affair it intensifies the more you put into it
so welcome to the club
Ian

sagalouts said:
your first Camino is indeed special but tends to be full of trepidation, can I do this thing? will it change me? how strong am I? You learn these things-you find you are indeed strong both in mind and body the hard thing is to retain this when back in the so called real world,each time I go back I retain more of what I learn about myself so the gap between the Camino and my world back home recedes into one.
it does not matter which route you take because it is you walking learning enjoying,but most repeaters walk different Camino's and meeting these people enhance the experience, your conversations rise above the where did you start where are you going and why you walk the camino,
this year I even met up with someone I walked with last year there was hardly any conversation just the shared smiles between fellow addicts.
but I have to say the CF is special and I find myself drawn back, it seems each time is different, like any great love affair it intensifies the more you put into it
so welcome to the club
Ian

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am sure you all know the feeling that I have right now, so it all helps. What on earth we would we do without this forum?

When we were about 10 K outside of Santiago sloshing through the mud and rain my wife made up this song "End of Camino Blues" (to the tune of Johnny Ray's "Just Walking in the Rain":

Just walking in the rain
Getting kind of wet
10 K to Santiago
We haven't gotten there yet

Just walking in the rain
Feeling kind of blue
When we finish our Camino
Then what's left for us to do?

People come to their windows
They always stare at us
Shake their heads in wonder
Saying "Why don't they catch the Bus?"

Justing walking in the rain
Getting muddy shoes
We'll be there tomorrow
It's "End of Camino Blues"

We finished in June 2009 and will begin again in March 2012.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the CF twice, in 2001 and 2010. (In between I upped sticks and moved from US to Spain.)

The second time was nothing like the first. I still kinda wonder why I did it again, it was a bit of a disappointment even though I did not to expect anything from it. Thank goodness the dear friends I made the first time round are still part of my life; I did not meet any people like them the second time.
Not that it cannot happen for you. Each camino is so different for each person.

You cannot "go home" again."
Reb.

Reb, maybe that is because you are on 'home' ground now?
There is something exciting and exotic about travelling to a different country, different foods, different language, different way of life. I love walking at home - we have got a beautiful country - but its nothing like embarking on a long journey, far from home and walking in Europe.

You cannot "go home" again.
Many caminos have crashed on the rocky shores of expectations. Life in general can do that too. I think the disappointment comes from trying to shape the world rather than adapt to it. Control is pretty illusory, and nothing proves that more than expectations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too am planning my next Camino having completed the first from Le Puy to Santiago September and October 2012 and on to Fisterra and Murxia. I am 59 and it was one of the best things I have ever done.

I am now contemplating the Via de la Plata or the Arles route in the spring, but it seems the advice is to start mid March or later to try and avoid the possibility of bad weather. I shall be walking on my own, unless I manage to find some company before then, so I also don't want to run the risk of being TOO solitary for days on end or albergues being closed.

I'd love to hear from anyone thinking of either route in the spring.

My question is this - does anyone have advice on other possibilities for long-distance walks in Jan and Feb where accomodation etc costs wouldn't be too high and the weather not too cold or wet?

THANK YOU

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.