• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post-Camino Callings

Gwaihir

Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Nijmegen-Fisterra
2022: Trans-European Trail
Hi again Peregrinos.

It´s always good to return here and know that there is a "Camino World" despite the situation.

In January I went abroad to do volunteer work for a while. It was fine but it did not last long. I had kind of overestimated myself as the Camino made me feel like Superman. But real life turned out to be a bit harder than hiking, even if that meant from Holland to Santiago :p

Anyway. So I find myself in Holland once again and now I´m wondering what do I do with my life. Half of me want to start a small one-man business. On the Camino I really found out that most people underestimate themselves and I want to help people find their own strength by connecting them with nature and challenging them to embark on various nature-based challenges. I have a string of quite good ideas on how to do that (but they´re secret) ;-)

Problem is that the other half of me has a much more unorthodox calling and is interested in becoming a friar or similar calling. I have not been brought up with any religion but have been spiritual/religious since I was very young. The experience I had on the Camino has only encouraged me more to delve deeper into this. I´d like to be a person who can help people who are in a spiritual crisis or just struggling.

Now I know that many of you heard "the call". Specifically after the Camino. Some of you have opened albergues and hostels. Others went into callings they might have never gone into if it had not been for the Camino.

I was wondering if any of you heard a call similar to mine. Perhaps I´ll find a way to reconcile these two ambitions. I am hoping to get some inspiration from anyone who´d like to reply.

Gwaihir

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Best way I know to try out if callings are real - sustainable is trying them out:

Spend some time on retreat/ in a monastery.
Volunteer.
Work or volunteer in the industry you want to start a business in and so on.

When you do it, things will clear up on their own and your way becomes clear(er).

BC SY

PS First Camino done 20+ years ago - changed my life for the better, even in these times, I don't want to be anywhere else ...

Three years ago, there was a "ministry moment" towards the end of mass. A woman discussed a relationship that our parish had with a Catholic orphanage in Honduras. I felt that a spirit was reaching out to me to volunteer. I speak reasonable Spanish and decided to join the next adult group trip there. That was three years ago and I've travelled to Honduras each February. Our adult group has one or more work projects during the days, then we have afternoons and early evenings to spend time with the adorable children, that live there year round. They live in houses of around 10 kids each, attend classes, go to church, and play. I've developed close relationships with many kids and we decided to financially support three, plus send letters, photos and Xmas/birthday gifts. Like the camino, there is a comraderie and support of everyone. I hope to do this for years to come. Bob

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you do it, things will clear up on their own and your way becomes clear(er).

Thank you, I agree. I´ve already asked to stay in a monastery for a few days to see whether it would suit me (however those things are interrupted by Corona like everything else!).

They live in houses of around 10 kids each, attend classes, go to church, and play

That sounds interesting Bob. It´s one of the things I might like to do if such an opportunity arises. I speak Spanish well and my parents worked for Amnesty International in Honduras.

Kudos for the work that you do.

Bob, you are not alone. And your inspiration doesn't have to be an either/or. It can be a yes/and! Many monastics live active lives and pursue their ideas and enterprises, while maintaining the ongoing inner growth of monastic practice. Not all monks are enclosed in monasteries. I am a monastic, a novice in The New Benedictine Community, part of the "new monastic movement" in the Christian church. We are a small "dispersed order," I live thousands of km. away from my fellow community members, but we meet online regularly for worship, teaching, and mutual support. We are teachers, priests, caregivers, librarians, pilgrims, hospitaleros, retirees, and bakers, active in communities from Mexico to UK to Spain.
Do a search for New Monasticism online, you will find several orders with different outreaches, philosophies, and histories. I know of at least two other members of orders who are part of the forum here.

Best way I know to try out if callings are real - sustainable is trying them out:

Spend some time on retreat/ in a monastery.
Volunteer.
Work or volunteer in the industry you want to start a business in and so on.
And your inspiration doesn't have to be an either/or. It can be a yes/and! Many monastics live active lives and pursue their ideas and enterprises, while maintaining the ongoing inner growth of monastic practice
These folks are worth listening to — they've walked their talk and are living authentic and beautiful lives.

One thing to add is that is there are many forms of monasticism that are not Christian - I went from being a scientist to being a Buddhist nun. Once coronavirus restrictions are lifted, you will be able to check out traditions and places for yourself. In the meantime there are no end of resources online. Read, explore, and see what appeals to you in terms of teachings and in terms of a way of living. Then later you will be well prepared to launch your exploration from there.

Be prepared to be both challenged and humbled, on all levels. This is not a path for the faint-hearted, but it is deeply rewarding.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since my first Camino in 2016, I have become a Benedictine oblate here in the US. This is a lay person who is connected to a monastery (mine is with the Benedictine Sisters of Erie PA, to where I have since moved). I can't live at the monastery, but I have a nearby apartment and connect with the community's ministries and prayer times. At least I did until the monastery closed to visitors -- and not sure when I will once again be able to join in community activities. I am still able to work in their food pantry.

Like Rebekah Scott, I am part of a growing New Monastic movement. You may want to look into what this might look like in Holland. Actually, you might be able to do both -- your own business and being connected spiritually with a monastic community.

Best to you on this part of your journey. It's an exciting ride!!

:D

These reactions have made me really cheerful.
I´m really happy there is more people here with a similar calling.

I would love to combine several things at the same time. I don´t think I could promise to live my entire life in isolation - that´s what I like about friars, how they go out and still support the community. You have given me food for thought :)

Also, I have a little anecdote from the Camino: when I walked through Liege (Belgium) there was a hospitalero there (well, he had his own albergue) who attempted to convince me to become a priest. He will be happy to hear I am inclined to follow the spiritual path :p

I wrote him a letter (the handwritten kind), so he might have some ideas.
I am going to check out the New Monastic movement.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Since my first Camino in 2016, I have become a Benedictine oblate here in the US. This is a lay person who is connected to a monastery (mine is with the Benedictine Sisters of Erie PA, to where I have since moved). I can't live at the monastery, but I have a nearby apartment and connect with the community's ministries and prayer times. At least I did until the monastery closed to visitors -- and not sure when I will once again be able to join in community activities. I am still able to work in their food pantry.

Like Rebekah Scott, I am part of a growing New Monastic movement. You may want to look into what this might look like in Holland. Actually, you might be able to do both -- your own business and being connected spiritually with a monastic community.

Best to you on this part of your journey. It's an exciting ride!!

Thank you Priscilla, and everyone who has posted on this thread.
Priscilla, yours and Rebekah's comments about the New Monastic movement really interest me. Consequently, I checked out New Monasticism as Rebekah recommended, which led me to Bernadette Flanagan and other scholar's work on new spiritual movements, contemplative movements etc. This was relevant to my 'calling' which stems from my first encounters with the Camino, and one dream in particular which I resurrected recently from an old blog I wrote then: https://cathietherese0761.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/is-this-a-really-big-labyrinth/
I had no idea how my dream or calling would manifest in 2012 but it took off with some NGO work and then onto my first forays into University at 54 years old years old and Icompleted a degree in Social/Cultural Anthropology with an English minor last year. Much of my academic work has centred around the camino and particularly feminine spirituality/Marian devotion/Eunate Church. (The latter was also impacted by experiences and contacts I encountered from my 2012 journey.)
If this calling parallels any of your interests, or work in New Monasticism/spirituality I would really appreciate being able to correspond with you. I am working on my Masters now and hope to return to the Camino to conduct my fieldwork [calling] next year. That said, I am open to whatever form the Camino has in mind for me - hence this approach for contacts.
@Rebekah Scott I have just ordered a copy of your "A Furnace Full of God", and Bernadette's book about Experiencing Solitude. What's more I am smiling as I write this seeing you responded to my blog 'way back' in 2012.
Go well everyone, Catherine.

Figured I might update.

I´ve enrolled in theology at the university. I encountered a bit of red tape and it might take a little bit longer to admit me - but generally my papers are fine and I hope I can start in September.

Unfortunately the hospitalero who tried to convince me to become a priest did not write me back, haha.

I´ve also decided to start apprenticing in shamanism. The Wild of the Camino [not just the Spanish one] combined with the theory of theology is perfect for me. I will use a combination of both to ask questions and get people to reconnect with their purpose.

I looked into New Monasticism and found nothing of the sort in my area. There are a few mystery schools, but that´s another thing entirely ;)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.