• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

post camino decompression--how to handle it?

what do most pilgrims do when your camino is over and just before you have to head back home? do you take a few more days to reflect alone? with a group? or just run to the airport :?:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Spend a couple of days in Santiago bumping into the people you met and lost along the way. It's great when you find yourself hugging fellow peregrinos in the street there. :D

that sounds good. but i plan to keep walking to finisterre & muxia before i get back to SDC---would folks still be around that i would have run into on my camino???

a great suggestion was to go to "the little fox house' near muxia for some decompression time.

sounds like trying to play tourist after spending 5-8 weeks on the camino maybe be difficult and some solitary time at least away from noise and crowds would be best. :?:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
you wont really know how you feel at the end of your camino untill the end of your camino, and when you do you will know what is right....

you could have said laphroaig falcon that is only one word :lol:

oh and for the record I ended my first Camino by beginning a new one...

guess I just wasn't done walking

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
texastrekker said:
that sounds good. but i plan to keep walking to finisterre & muxia before i get back to SDC---would folks still be around that i would have run into on my camino???
I bumped into an Italian girl in Santiago who I hadn't seen for weeks. She had been suffering from a knee injury, and I was worried that she'd had to stop walking. In fact she'd arrived a week before me (without getting the bus). :oops:

The last week into Santiago can be busy, with all the people joining the route around Sarria. For me personally that felt like gradually rejoining the 'real world' after the peace earlier on the route, and I kind of welcomed it. That said, I still sat down after arriving in Santiago and got slightly emotional wondering what it had all been about!

Buen Camino!

I'm less than two weeks away from my first Camino, but I already appreciate the way that my/our plans have come together. I will leave the U.S. on 18 May and begin walking from SJPdP on 20 May. On 23 June, I have a flight from SdC to Paris, where I will meet my dear wife for a second honeymoon (after 22+ years). That week in Paris will not only give us a chance to reconnect, but I'm really seeing how it will be an essential buffer between the end of my Camino and my reentry into my day-to-day world. I simply cannot imagine flying home from Santiago one day and going back to work a day or two later. That reentry will be hard enough as it is, I'm sure.

That is not to say that the advice of Falcon & Pieces should not be heeded. And Pieces -- Laphroaig? -- that is indeed one word that needs no other words. I think I might need a bottle of that on the shelf here in Maryland to ease my return to this corner of the world...

Pax et bonum,

Steve

This thread and some of the replies are proof positive that the word isn't getting out about The Little Fox House as I had hoped. I can only write so much about the retreat without someone writing in and calling it Spam, although how sharing one's home with pilgrims can be considered a business I really don't know.
Takes all folks!
However, this post has made me think of something I hadn't considered before. I have used the word "regrouping" in a metaphorical sense, also "retreat", "sanctuary", and a place for "re-entry". Decompression is a new one, and going back too soon IS a bit like getting the bends!
But why not literal regrouping? You can let fellow pilgrims know that you hope to be at The Little Fox House. Give them my phone number (on the Blog site see below) if you don't have a lot of opportunity or desire for phones and internet; they can check with me when you are more or less due here and make "plans" to join you. This place is truly magic. You have to see it to understand that. All I ask is a donation to help me to keep this little house for pilgrims "post-Camino" - for many years to come.
I do need you to call and reserve. You don't have to do it weeks in advance. You need room for sponteneity; you need to leave room for extra time and less time where and whenever. That is part of the lessons of The Camino.
Just give me a day's notice so I can get in food (and wine). I ask for a Compostela and Credential. To be effective, stays are 3 to 5 days, i.e. this is not like an albergues: no overnights except for group guides who have been there and done that. I can accommodate 3 in luxury, 5 in comfort, and 6 if one of you is short! This is a non-sectarian retreat because in my opinion the days of the Camino only being a Catholic pilgrimage route (which it wasn't before the 9th century anyway: (cf El Camino de Las Estrellas) are waning. All religions are very welcome, and none at all... I consider myself a Smorgasbordian! (And did you know the word "heresy" means choice?)
Oh, and I have said before: you don't have to walk to Fisterre or Muxia. S de C is fine. There are frequent buses to Camarinas (stops 1 klm away from A Casa do Raposito), Muxia and Fisterre of course. Walk from there along the "Camino do Raposito" 9 klms from Merexo on the Camino to Muxia. A gorgeous walk, or I'll pick you up from Muxia if you kick in a bit for petrol.
You can't ask for more.
Most of all, I need YOU, ALL of you, to spread the word. It is a wonderful spot for one pilgrim, but a better one for more as the idea is to SHARE experiences, not only with me (although I am a qualified psychotherapist). I've (quite happily) turned my former life upside down to try to provide this little corner of Galicia as a haven for pilgrims to have a little time for reflexion before going back to their own "former lives". That's when the Camino REALLY begins...
Yes, you can plan another Camino. But have you REALLY learned what you needed to from this one first?
Check out
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
and click on the orange link for more information

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think you are offering a wonderful service Tracy. I can't wait to visit this year. Seems like the perfect end to a Camino,

wow this is exactly what i was looking forward to---what a great gift at the end of a very long trek to gather thoughts and share experiences in a beautiful relaxed atmosphere.

many thanks to anniesantiago for recommending this and mucho thanks to tracy for making this avaialable. i definetly will be there in october!

hope to see y'all there as well!

:D

falcon269 said:
One word:

single malt

OK; that's two words.

Aye... duty free emotional modifiers. 2 bottles of 12 year old Single malts to ease me into reality here at home.

I still wake up imagining the sounds of people packing to set out early. Its not post traumatic stress but more post walk blues... I miss the way. :roll:

If you have the luxury of taking your time, I agree with others, spending a couple of days in Santiago is a wonderful opportunity and can provide a great closure. I met with a bunch of pilgrims I first met 5 weeks before, on our first night in Orisson. I then haven't seen most of them for the last 1-2 weeks of my walk and through emails, we all managed to meet in front of the cathedral and go to dinner together. It was amazing to see each other.

Of course, Finisterre is also a great place to take your time, if you have the time...

And for me, after spending time in both Santiago and Finisterre, I took the bus to Porto and spent three additional days there. It was a great way to slowly come back to civilization and still have time to myself. It was my first time in Porto, which I loved, so I walked around town a lot, enjoyed the water and parks and even went shopping, just to be able to put on something new after 5 weeks of wearing the same outfit... :)

Buen Camino!!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

about to start my camino on saturday the 26th,reality is with me all the time,my journey started a very long time ago as a kid on a bike.wondering what life is all about....after 30 years military service, ..............life, seeing people in pain,etc etc

The camino is for me to come to the end of myself,reach down inside and break through the heart ache from reality,to find that kid again,to be vunerable,to feel,to laugh,to let go,to have fun,to be honest to myself...I am not going because I can,this walk is because I need to be there,

and as a student once said to me on a winters trex in the Cairngorms,"its good for your head" .

my reality is the journey inside.

Thank you...all

my reality is the journey inside
I think a lot of pilgrims discover this. They may start on a religious walk to a Saint, then find the journey did not require a "journey." To me, that is when I found the fun in walking; the pilgrimage as a setting for what really was going on.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
falcon269 said:
my reality is the journey inside
I think a lot of pilgrims discover this. They may start on a religious walk to a Saint, then find the journey did not require a "journey." To me, that is when I found the fun in walking; the pilgrimage as a setting for what really was going on.

Surely you mean do another one - 7 times!? with 8th in planned state with mobile hotel on wheels behind.
I wish I had your stamina, but I'm going to do my future camino's locally, black mountain of Wales.

Hi Texas,
When on the discovery in 07 we kept being told about the beauty of the Le Puy camino from experienced european pilgrims.
We arrived home 37hrs after leaving Muxia , looked at the photos , listened to the traffic in a very secluded/ lovely part of Australia and then decided that Le Puy on.
Since then Porto, Norte and this year Madrid and Invierno.
Just a great way of life , end up in Muxia and stay with Tracey.
Buen Camino,
David

In my experience, I have seen many pelegrinos with post camino syndrom.
Some walk out of their houses beefore eight in the morning with backpacks and then aimlessly wonder the streets of their towns traying to colect sellos. Others demand wine to every dinner and not to pay more then 9 euros. Then some insisted on paying 5 euros for a bed in their neighbours house. Uhmmmmm ... camino sidefects.
However in my opinion the best decompresion is ... buy new pair of boots and book yourself new ticket to Spain or France whatever you fancy, that will cure you for a while ( one week ..maybe mas o menos)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK...This probably WILL be interpreted as publicity and there is little I can do about it. But one thing I must say is that everyone, without exception, who has come to The Little Fox House has said how happy they are to be finally OFF the Camino in order to be able to reflect on their pilgrimage.
The truth is, we go home too soon. Then we don´t know what to do with ourselves. We talk the ear off anyone who is prepared to listen but they cannot possible understand.
We need "transition time", decompression, rehabilitation, a "half way house" ...and I have heard more metaphors...To me it is like post-childbirth: You know that eventally you will go home with this new creature you have nurtured inside you, but a few extra days being pampered in hospital sure is nice...
This is the point of a post camino refuge...
Don´t just hug the saint get the Compostela, and go home---If you can, stay a bit longer...TS

PS Re: Book your next Camino.
Well...to some extent I agree.
But
Why did you walk your first one?
What did you learn from it?
Did you think your questions would be answered durting your walk?
Were they?
Were you asking the right questions? Did you HAVE the "right" questions to begin with?
Or were they just excuses---?
Do you think these questions can ONLY answered on the Camino?
OR...
Is it necessary to return to the challenges of "normal" life to find out what you have learned---? And maybe even find answers to questioms you did not ask---?
This, I think, is my point...-
Nobody said it was going to easy!

Wow! I thought this thread would be loaded. Does it mean that you all just spent a few days of leisure and then went back to the business of living? I'm almost three weeks beyond mt SDC arrival date and I'm still having difficulty. The one thing I miss most is the solitude when you're walking alone. A close second is the lack of TV and the "outside world" and completing the Trifecta is replacing the almost complete focus I had in preparing to do it.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to take all that richness which appeared and make the "real" world aware that it's there for the walking!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
When I get too "compressed" I find the best thing to do is something that doesn´t have to do with Me. Go and find something to do for others. Volunteer to help clean up the albergue. Buy some bags and pick up trash along the road. Find an empty church or an open field or park or beach and challenge yourself to just sit there quietly for AN HOUR. See if you can.

For me, the words of a friend were so useful as I ended, and every day since returning I realize the truth of his words over and over again: The camino is everywhere. Once you have been on it, you will always be, no matter where you are.

I get up in the morning, and I "put one foot in front of the other", and hope for the best; try not to have expectations, try to be kind etc. Some days are better than others, for sure! But I don't miss the camino, cuz I'm still there. :) <3

Start planning your next camino on a different camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Post camino depression, how do you handle it? I for one don't think I have had depression after caminos. But I do have this obsession with looking for flights, even when I cannot go! I think I could happily spend my whole life on them, but of course obligations prevent it. Mind you I could then write a paper on how many days walking does one have to do before one stops losing weight! :(

Since I arrived in Santiago on Nov 12 and since I have come home I dream about walking the Camino every night. My first night home, I woke up in the middle of the night, I could not remember how I arrived in the alburgue, where I was, I could not find my hiking boots, or how I ended up sleeping next to someone in the same bed--as it turns out I was in my home, in my bed, sleeping next to my wife.

Since I arrived in Santiago on Nov 12 and since I have come home I dream about walking the Camino every night. My first night home, I woke up in the middle of the night, I could not remember how I arrived in the alburgue, where I was, I could not find my hiking boots, or how I ended up sleeping next to someone in the same bed--as it turns out I was in my home, in my bed, sleeping next to my wife.

When I was doing the Camino Frances 2 years ago a fellow pilgrim said he had heard that it would take 2 years for its effect to work through. That is what I have found and I don't think it has finished yet. It is a very powerful experience so it is not surprising that it affects pilgrims in different ways. Try not to give names to emotions like decompression etc; they are meaningless. Don't describe them, just let them happen and watch them from the outside as it were. The camino may call you back, it may not. Don't force anything or funk it for that matter. Let the camino do its work and follow its star wherever it takes you. I am finding this new journey in which I have let go astounding. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back