• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino Frances Update and Thank You

Hilarious

Hilarious
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning stage Camino Frances from SJPdP (Sept. 2019)
To all the wonderful forum members?
We did it! Arrived in Santiago on Saturday, 26 October. Our Camino from SJPdP to SdC was simply amazing. I am lost for words (which is quite unusual). Still processing it all now I am back in Australia.

I don’t know if you experience this - when people ask me what it’s like I find it a challenge to explain. The amazing scenery, the sense of community and the wonderful and inspiring people you meet, the kindness of the local people and your fellow pilgrims. It really doesn’t do it justice. I end up by saying that if the Camino calls to you, it won’t let you go. You simply have to do it - at least once!

I know one of my Camino lessons is to learn to accept help. After slipping over in the rain leaving Leon (and breaking my right wrist - not that I knew it at the time - I thought sprain). Walking two more days to Astorga, Doctor then detour by taxi to Ponferrada Hospital for re-alignment under local anaesthetic (I don’t recommend this - when they asked if I was allergic to anything I should have said pain!), plaster cast then taxi back to Rabanal del Camino.

Due to wet and slippery conditions and only one arm we ended up taking two more taxis - from Rabanel to Molinaseca and from La Faba to Triacastela. So grateful I could walk all of the rest.

Thank you all for your sage advice - as a result my gear performed a treat, no blisters or musculoskeletal problems with feet, legs, back etc.

If you want to see my vlogs just type my name - Hilary Jones Rowan into the search bar on YouTube (sorry couldn’t get the link to work) hope they bring back memories for you or inspire those thinking - can I do this?

Buen Camino for wherever life takes you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well done Hilary. Even a broken wrist didn’t slow you down. I have 5 months to go for my own first taste of the Camino life, and hope my experience is as great as yours (minus the injury) 😇.

Well done, I was a few weeks ahead of you, arrived at SdC on 8th October. You did well, keeping on walking despite the injury. I saw a few injured people, some had to go home, others stayed the distance.
You can update your status now to show you have completed CF!
regards, Andrew

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well done, and thanks for your report. As said above, even your injury did not deter you - no joke when putting on and taking off your pack, of whatever size. Let me guess: another camino somewhere in the future???

We did it! Arrived in Santiago on Saturday, 26 October. Our Camino from SJPdP to SdC was simply amazing. I am lost for words (which is quite unusual). Still processing it all now I am back in Australia.
Well done!

Here is a link to your youtube video channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-scTwzjaaaDfnsc2VCQuSg

I don’t know if you experience this - when people ask me what it’s like I find it a challenge to explain. The amazing scenery, the sense of community and the wonderful and inspiring people you meet, the kindness of the local people and your fellow pilgrims. It really doesn’t do it justice. I end up by saying that if the Camino calls to you, it won’t let you go. You simply have to do it - at least once!...
It was on the Camino Aragones after my first week on the camino... I sat in a bar with 5 Spanish pilgrims and again I could not follow their conservation because of my poor Spanish. I looked in their faces and they all seemed so content, so pleased...
and I asked in Spanish "How can you explain the 'Camino Magic' to a friend who has not walked a Camino?". And F. said: "no es posible" - "It is not possible".

Last edited:
Well done Hilary. Even a broken wrist didn’t slow you down. I have 5 months to go for my own first taste of the Camino life, and hope my experience is as great as yours (minus the injury) 😇.
I’m sure your Camino will be everything you hope for Glenda. Be careful if it’s raining coming out of Leon. The tiles are very slippery! Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done, I was a few weeks ahead of you, arrived at SdC on 8th October. You did well, keeping on walking despite the injury. I saw a few injured people, some had to go home, others stayed the distance.
You can update your status now to show you have completed CF!
regards, Andrew
z
Thank you AndrewDavOz. I have tried to update my status. Does it take a little while to adjust.

Well done!

Here is a link to your youtube video channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-scTwzjaaaDfnsc2VCQuSg

It was on the Camino Aragones after my first week on the camino... I sat in a bar with 5 Spanish pilgrims and again I could not follow their conservation because of my poor Spanish. I looked in their faces and they all seemed so content, so pleased...
and I asked in Spanish "How can you explain the 'Camino Magic' to a friend who has not walked a Camino?". And F. said: "no es posible" - "It is not possible".

Thank you for the link Martín1ws. Love your experience of the Camino Magic - so true.

We started together on 18 Sept. we stayed in the same dorm in Orisson. Congratulation on your camino. I walked and talked with more Aussies on my Camino than any other country. On my night in O’Ceberiro I had dinner with 14 Aussies. Several of us finished on 4 November together. I am still processing my journey. Everyday I said ‘walk your age and being blessed to walk at my age’. Remember the group singing Happy Birthday to me in Orisson On my 77th birthday?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well done, and thanks for your report. As said above, even your injury did not deter you - no joke when putting on and taking off your pack, of whatever size. Let me guess: another camino somewhere in the future???
Thank you kirkie. Had to have my wrist re-set when I got back to Oz. Still in plaster for another week (Camino Lesson - patience). You are sooo right - The Del Norte is next on my list and following my Camino buddies on the Forum of course.

We started together on 18 Sept. we stayed in the same dorm in Orisson. Congratulation on your camino. I walked and talked with more Aussies on my Camino than any other country. On my night in O’Ceberiro I had dinner with 14 Aussies. Several of us finished on 4 November together. I am still processing my journey. Everyday I said ‘walk your age and being blessed to walk at my age’. Remember the group singing Happy Birthday to me in Orisson On my 77th birthday?
Hi peckahad. Good to re-connect. Congratulations on your Camino - I will never forget your birthday celebrations at Orisson! You rock!

I am also five months out. Plan on starting on April 29th at SJPP. You?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I don’t know if you experience this - when people ask me what it’s like I find it a challenge to explain. The amazing scenery, the sense of community and the wonderful and inspiring people you meet, the kindness of the local people and your fellow pilgrims. It really doesn’t do it justice. I end up by saying that if the Camino calls to you, it won’t let you go. You simply have to do it - at least once!

I know one of my Camino lessons is to learn to accept help. After slipping over in the rain leaving Leon (and breaking my right wrist - not that I knew it at the time - I thought sprain). Walking two more days to Astorga, Doctor then detour by taxi to Ponferrada Hospital for re-alignment under local anaesthetic (I don’t recommend this - when they asked if I was allergic to anything I should have said pain!), plaster cast then taxi back to Rabanal del Camino.

Due to wet and slippery conditions and only one arm we ended up taking two more taxis - from Rabanel to Molinaseca and from La Faba to Triacastela. So grateful I could walk all of the rest.

Thank you all for your sage advice - as a result my gear performed a treat, no blisters or musculoskeletal problems with feet, legs, back etc.

If you want to see my vlogs just type my name - Hilary Jones Rowan into the search bar on YouTube (sorry couldn’t get the link to work) hope they bring back memories for you or inspire those thinking - can I do this?

Buen Camino for wherever life takes you.
I sort of know how you feel. I watched a you tube video in the fall of 2019 called a Pilgrims journey. I did not know what it was about, but after watching, I was hooked. I needed to do this. I've now watched the movie The Way and about 40 hours of you tube videos on the Camino Frances. With the help of the forums here I've already purchased most of my gear for the trip. Just having a hard time picking a backpack, so many choices, and so many forums on which is best. I find half the fun is getting every thing ready for the trip because I've never been a hiker "Peregrino". Like I said, the forums here have been invaluable in what to bring on my Pilgrimage. Leaving for trip Sept. 2020. Buen Camino.

I don’t know if you experience this - when people ask me what it’s like I find it a challenge to explain
So....what was it like 😉
I'm surprised are paths didn't cross or maybe they did, I departed St Jean on 29th September and Arrived Santiago 31st October and may have passed you in the corridor of Bierzo hospital where I spent an unscheduled stop for 24hrs on October 24th. I wish you a speedy recovery and many more Camino-free incidents and accidents in future. Ultreia 🤠

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back