• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino Levante Thoughts and Observations

Don Camillo

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 04-16
Norte/Primitivo 09-16
VdlP/ Sanabres 02/3-17
Levante 09/17,
Ruta de la Lana 09/18
Started 01/09/17 completed 29/09/17 in Zamora (one rest day in Toro) and adding the last part of VdlP to Astorga completing on 06/10. Initial thought was that it was certainly a very different Camino in respect of distances between overnight stops, route finding and necessity to carry adequate supplies (water and food).
The days were still hot - mid 30's at times, the days were often long and in places I bivvied out as either the Albergue was closed or there was simply no other option. In total I used my bivvy 6 times. I also used Hotels/Hostels more often on this Camino than on others which put the cost up a little.
As has previously been stated for the most part the route is marked , sometimes the arrows are freshly painted but mostly they are weather worn and you have to be observant. I went (well) off track twice because I could not locate the arrows or because they had simply run out and I had a multiple choice of tracks. In this respect careful navigation on this route is a must even more so given that the route at times crosses other caminos.
Solitude was almost a given. Apart from a few cyclists and up to Zamora there were only 8 other pilgrims that I saw in Albergues (none whilst walking) over the entire route. In fact there were more pilgrims than that in the municipal albergue in Zamora.
Apart from once again being reliant on the bivvy bag ( I think that a tent would have been problematic for a variety of reasons) the pack essentials this time were my Freddy Krueger wide brim hat and the 2 lt hydration bladder. This fitted inside my pack which had the added advantage of keeping the water cool.
My Haix boots gave no problems and plenty of support. Again completed a camino without walking poles for which I can still not see the point of other than to make irritating clicking sounds when walking across Plazas and swinging into the path of other walkers. How on earth did we evolve to walk unaided ?
High points. Toledo ticked all the boxes - what a place and what a setting. The cathedral is well into the territory of "never seen anything like that before on that scale". The bull run in La Font de la Figuera, Toro, Chinchilla and the numerous other small villages on the way.
It is though, for me, a harder camino given the level of accommodation, the distances between it, food and water stops and also the requirement to sometimes start the day and go some distance without a café Americano and croissant. The solitude I didn't mind but could see that it may put off some people.
Thanks to Grace the Pilgrim for her route plan and notes , pilgrim 2017 for his forum notes and route plan all of which proved invaluable.
Buen Camino.
Don

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Super report Don. I’m glad you made it as far as Zamora. Your review is how I’d describe my camino Levante as well.

And I too loved Toledo as a stopping point. I’d put the Cathedral in second spot behind the Sevilla Cathedral in terms of magnificence.

So now you’ll rest up and dream of your next camino? Another ‘quiet’ one or are you thinking of a bit more company next time?
Cheers and well done, Grace

It is though, for me, a harder camino given the level of accommodation, the distances between it, food and water stops and also the requirement to sometimes start the day and go some distance without a café Americano and croissant.
Great post, Don, from another Levante alum who loved it. But without my trusty electric coil, I would not have been so happy in the mornings, because I really want a cup of coffee before I start walking! The Levante was my first "camino con coil" and I would never walk another solitary camino without it.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Super report Don. I’m glad you made it as far as Zamora. Your review is how I’d describe my camino Levante as well.

And I too loved Toledo as a stopping point. I’d put the Cathedral in second spot behind the Sevilla Cathedral in terms of magnificence.

So now you’ll rest up and dream of your next camino? Another ‘quiet’ one or are you thinking of a bit more company next time?
Cheers and well done, Grace
Thanks for that Grace. A couple of times I read your entries in the visitors book of albergues I stayed at, this whilst using a printout of your guide for my own notes so I guess you can say that in a sense you visited those places twice. I am about done this year but planning next year for the Ingles along with my partner. It will be her first Camino ( she probably got fed up with my referencing everything to "when I was walking on the camino"). So that is the intention. For now post camino reflection, crash weight gain (vegetarian in Spain = weight loss) and working out what to do with my time. Thanks again for your notes.
Don

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back