• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino Question- Route from Cacabelos to Villefranca

Which route did you take?

• Through Valtuille de Arribe

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Not through Valtuille de Arribe

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Rod Murray

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 CF 2019 PC
Its been almost 5 months since our Ponferrada to Santiago Camino in June and I've had lots of time to digest the experience. Having a fascination with maps, I've also explored numerous online Camino maps, many linked here in the forums.
My question is this- what is the most used route from Cacabelos to Villefranca? The map I used on my phone took us through Valtuille de Arribe. Most others do not show the Camino passing through there.
We did notice that we did not see any other Peregrinos that afternoon, but did have a lovely, quiet and scenic walk through vineyards, even if it was an extra few km.
What route did you walk? Where was the split in the trail?
Please take the poll above! Thanks for all responses and comments!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked through the vineyards 2 times, that is the route under the power lines. It is a pleasant, pastoral mainly dirt path and both times I did it in a light rain but it is not muddy or slippery. I think the split is just up the road about 1km from Cacabelos but it is not very well marked if you leave town early in the morning. The other route appears to me mostly road walking.

The blessed Brierley's guide certainly shows the route split just (0.5k) after Pieros and the lovely Albergue El Serbal y la Luna. St John's text actively encourages pilgrims to take that variant. I think you had a lucky afternoon if you had a quiet time of it. The actual difference in distance is 1.1k - 4.6k via the 'road route' and 5.7k via Valtuille. The vineyards and the little cafe in Valtuille have it for me every time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We took the Valtuille route as well as advised by J.B.

Its been almost 5 months since our Ponferrada to Santiago Camino in June and I've had lots of time to digest the experience. Having a fascination with maps, ...We did notice that we did not see any other Peregrinos that afternoon, but did have a lovely, quiet and scenic walk through vineyards, even if it was an extra few km.
What route did you walk? Where was the split in the trail?
Please take the poll above! Thanks for all responses and comments!
Hola Rod - I too am a map-nut. I took the Pieros diversion through Valtuille and I agree once I was in the vineyards it was a quiet enjoyable Camino. Anywhere I could get away from the road traffic I took that option. Cheers

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I couldn't answer your poll. I took the Valtuille route the first time, but managed to miss it the second time. Afterward, thinking back, I wondered "where was that iconic house" (see photo). The third time I made sure to watch for the turn and and found it again!

Attachments

• 4-19-IMG_1607.JPG
    4-19-IMG_1607.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a Garmin addict, here's a partial printout from our October 2016 walk ... it was an incredibly hot day and we considered taking the shorter route but walking on the road was not nice at all in the heat ...very glad we chose the walk through the vineyards. That was a pretty long walk from Ponferrada - about 26 kms according to Mr Garmin.

Attachments

• Villafranca.JPG
    Villafranca.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 18
I did not know there was an alternate route as I was not following a guide or a map, simply using the markers and painted arrows.:rolleyes: My route took me through vineyards on gravel paths. I guess I was on the alternate route. :) It was very pleasant and I was happy to not have to take the road.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I skipped the vineyards because it was cool and early morning on the highway and my priority that day was the variant after Villafranca, which I expected to be quite challenging. (Not the Dragonte, the comparatively easy variant that descends into Trabadelo.)

In the end that variant proved spectacular but it was challenging for at most a half hour, so I could have taken the vineyards before Villafranca. Next time, I suppose.

Last edited:
I did not know there was an alternate route as I was not following a guide or a map, simply using the markers and painted arrows.:rolleyes: My route took me through vineyards on gravel paths. I guess I was on the alternate route. :) It was very pleasant and I was happy to not have to take the road.
I did not know there was a more direct route until afterwards, looking at the various map resources linked here. We did not see anyone, or anything, for that matter. No sight of a café or albergué.
It was really hot in the valley, but beautiful breezes and maybe our most favourite photo of our whole trip was taken when we reached the hills above the town heading towards Villafranca.
see attachment

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 9

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back