• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

post Camino question

travelling_family

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago - Frances 2019
Hello

Random question but post camino next year we are wanting to hire a Motorhome from Barcelona and travel through to Italy for 2-3 months. Has anyone had any good experiences or can recommend a company? Sorry I know its not walking related but have had mixed reviews from the ones I have found, so would be great to have some first hand advice :)

Cheers
Cara

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Cara,

Sounds like quite an adventure. Have you considered buying something second hand and then reselling it at the end of your journey? I can only imagine that the rental for such a long time would be very expensive.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Rob.

Cara,
If you want to pursue buying a motor home I’d have some advice for you. We bought two and travelled for nine months in them (with eight kids and Grandpa, one would not have been big enough!)
But if you prefer to hire, I’ve no experience to share.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Concerning buying a camper and then reselling it:

About 2 years ago we bought a new, from the lot, small teardrop camper trailer. This spring we took it on a six week, nearly 8,000 mile (12,000+ km) trip. Afterwards I was on a well known camper rental website and I got curious. The cost for renting their smallest camper for the same amount of time, it's mileage costs and the difference in it's miles per gallon and what we got amounted to 50% the cost of our trailer.

The buy, use and resell option may be the way you want to go for such a long trip.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ah, makes me nostalgic for the 60s and early 70s, when we bought and sold our camper vans outside Australia House in London. I bet that is not still allowed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Awesome thanks for your advice - my husband was wondering about the buy, use and resell idea! will look into that more :)
We purchased a used pop-up camper when our kids were growing up and took it all over the US national parks on our vacations.

Fast forward to retirement. We nostalgically bought another used, but nice pop-up again, spending a month traveling the western states, and Banff and Jasper national parks in Canada. The following year my adult son and daughter in law borrowed it for a three month travel adventure and had a great time. Last year we decided to sell it and recovered nearly what we had paid for it...not the luxury of a motorhome, but it was great fun anyway!

Question,does anyone have experience on trekking to Mt.Everest Base Camp?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back