Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino review of my packing list

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
I added a review of what worked and what didn't on my packing list. This is specific to the Primitivo route because I can't speak to albergue or weather conditions on other routes.
I repeat. This is a look back on what worked for me. NOT what I think anyone should or shouldn't take. Just sharing in case it proves helpful.
http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/post-camino-de-santiago-packing-list/
I include the opinion of my podiatrist on the cause of my plantar fasciitis. This is her medical opinion of My problem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just great ! Thank you.
Probably the most down to earth and honest post Camino gear review I've ever read .
Have to agree on your assessment of the Merrells! I vacilated between hate and the temptation to put flowers in them and nail them to the nearest way marker . The toe box is dreadful ! And don't get me started on the lining of the heel cup !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just great ! Thank you.
Probably the most down to earth and honest post Camino gear review I've ever read .
Have to agree on your assessment of the Merrells! I vacilated between hate and the temptation to put flowers in them and nail them to the nearest way marker . The toe box is dreadful ! And don't get me started on the lining of the heel cup !
But they felt so comfortable when I tried them out at home. Before my feet swelled :) LOL

I will have to donate mine to the salvation Army or something.

Last edited:
I have kept mine , despite the difficulties I had with them they lasted the distance and carried me further than I thought I would venture.
They are destined to be 'potted out ' with red geraniums . In this way they will serve out their days as a living reminder of some of the delightful and intriguing villages I passed through . Oh yes and the odd blister they caused as well ! ;)

I have kept mine , despite the difficulties I had with them they lasted the distance and carried me further than I thought I would venture.
They are destined to be 'potted out ' with red geraniums . In this way they will serve out their days as a living reminder of some of the delightful and intriguing villages I passed through . Oh yes and the odd blister they caused as well ! ;)
Blisters were the only thing I didn't get. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I enjoyed reading this. You shoot straight about practical things and in doing so are totally speaking my language. I don't like going hairy legged either :p:p

I added a review of what worked and what didn't on my packing list. This is specific to the Primitivo route because I can't speak to albergue or weather conditions on other routes.
I repeat. This is a look back on what worked for me. NOT what I think anyone should or shouldn't take. Just sharing in case it proves helpful.
http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/post-camino-de-santiago-packing-list/
I include the opinion of my podiatrist on the cause of my plantar fasciitis. This is her medical opinion of My problem.
I also really appreciate this review. I don't enjoy the heat either, and must admit I hadn't considered the benefits of a skirt - both for hot days and quick, convenient, toilet stops!
The Primitivo looks lovely -and is now on my short list for next year, along with either the Salvador or the Norte.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We carry what we need. Thanks for input.

Apologies.... not a reply but cannot find where to ask!! Friends will walk the Primitivo soon. One is a nun from Slovakia who has not walked a camino before. Is there a bus from the city out to their first overnight stop ( wherever that might be) in case she needs to get in gently? Info on local busses is not easy to find though I know when we walked the route, a few years ago, there were busses going out to places along the route. Language could be a problem for her so I want to help. Her friends do not expect to walk far the first day. I will be recommending a visit to the wonderful churches nearby but off camino before they begin.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Apologies.... not a reply but cannot find where to ask!! Friends will walk the Primitivo soon. One is a nun from Slovakia who has not walked a camino before. Is there a bus from the city out to their first overnight stop ( wherever that might be) in case she needs to get in gently? Info on local busses is not easy to find though I know when we walked the route, a few years ago, there were busses going out to places along the route. Language could be a problem for her so I want to help. Her friends do not expect to walk far the first day. I will be recommending a visit to the wonderful churches nearby but off camino before they begin.

For more info on the Camino Primativo see this forum topic
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/the-camino-primitivo.34/

You might re ask your question there so it is not "lost" within another topic or thread.

For a handy on-line list in Spanish of accommodation along the CP see this Gronze.com web.
Gronze offers both pilgrim albergues and regular tourist accommodation. Cited by location progressing along the camino the pilgrim albergues are printed first in one ink and the tourist accommodation below in another. Tap each citation for further info such as address/web/email/cost etc. Booking.com links are also provided.

Happy planning to you and Buen camino to your friend!

Last edited:
I also suggest you post a new theead about this on the Primitivo subforum, but ... taking a bus to the end of what wver the first etapa won't help her ease into anything. Shoet etapas do this. Esclampero is only 10 km from Oviedo, so that is as easy as it gets. Also, yes, there is a bus from Oviedo to Grado, with a number of stops along the way.

https://www.goeuro.es/autobuses_desde_oviedo_a_grado

For more info on the Camino Primativo see this forum topic
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/the-camino-primitivo.34/

You might re ask your question there so it is not "lost" within another topic or thread.

For a handy on-line list in Spanish of accommodation along the CP see this Gronze.com web.
Gronze offers both pilgrim albergues and regular tourist accommodation. Cited by location progressing along the camino the pilgrim albergues are printed first in one ink and the tourist accommodation below in another. Tap each citation for further info such as address/web/email/cost etc. Booking.com links are also provided.

Happy planning to you and Buen camino to your friend!

Thank you that is very helpful. There was no such useful site when we walked on this and many another camino but we did begin a LONG time ago!
Maricristina

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also suggest you post a new theead about this on the Primitivo subforum, but ... taking a bus to the end of what wver the first etapa won't help her ease into anything. Shoet etapas do this. Esclampero is only 10 km from Oviedo, so that is as easy as it gets. Also, yes, there is a bus from Oviedo to Grado, with a number of stops along the way.

https://www.goeuro.es/autobuses_desde_oviedo_a_grado

Thank you. Pilgrims on this forum are always very generous with time and information. There is so much more info now than when we began our camino walking many, many years ago. There are indeed very many more pilgrims, we met none before Arzua walking the Norte from France, and six from Seville until we got to Zamora. After that they went north and we were alone again until Galicia. This was not unusual then on paths other than C.F.
Maricristina

Delighted to see that you used and liked the Kyte 46 -- that is currently the front-runner in my backpack quest. I know it's bigger than needed for the camino, but I am planning to do a little travel after the camino and don't want to be quite as limited space-wise. Since you can scrunch it down, it seems like a good option!

Delighted to see that you used and liked the Kyte 46 -- that is currently the front-runner in my backpack quest. I know it's bigger than needed for the camino, but I am planning to do a little travel after the camino and don't want to be quite as limited space-wise. Since you can scrunch it down, it seems like a good option!
Just be sure to try it on with weight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I thought of something else. It's not part of my packing list but relevant to the Primitivo. I opted to fly into Madrid because coming from Anchorage that was just the fastest option. We took the train to Oviedo fright afterwards (we had to wait like 3 hours at Chamartin). The train ride was 5 hours.

We're looking at doing this trio again next April. But what I will do differently is to catch the flight from Madrid to the Oviedo airport. It's about the same cost as the train. But taking the train right after 24+ hours traveling made for a long 2 days. This next time I will probably choose to stay the first night in Madrid and sleep in. Take the afternoon flight to Oviedo airport around 1:30pm. Still gives me plenty of time to taxi to Oviedo city and have a another restful night prior to starting.
We'll be taking longer to walk the Primitivo this time because we missed a lot with those long days and my slow walking with painful feet. So we'll take 17 days to walk it and not spend more than 1 day in Santiago. That means only 1 tube checked in for the poles. Instead of the extra bag of stuff we took for our stay on the coast. Nothing to send to Ivar so one less stressful thing to do in Oviedo.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back