• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino Sanctuary Muxia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
The Little Fox House has a fire going in the lareira, soup's on, bread in the oven, big beds are warm and cosy, and the surroundings just beg for pilgrim meditation walks. Weather is cool but mostly sunny. "Official" opening of A Casa do Raposito is March 1st, but pilgrims walking to Muxia, Finisterre or those finishing in Santiago are very welcome to come and "chill" for a few days. Compostela is necessary as the idea is for pilgrims to reflect on their Camino before returning home.
I am a writer and psychotherapist and four time pilgrim.This is my private home, not an albergue. Those who come here come as guests and all is strictly donativo. It is a haven of peace and quiet and your need for privacy will be respected. Sometimes I feel as though I am in the 14th century!
Got some great recipes to try. Even have a machine that does back and shoulder massage and a foot spa ... extensive book and video library, internet.
Will post some photos as soon as I can.
In the meantime anyone wishing to stay can call me at 0034 686 315 328, or email me at priscillianmartyr@yahoo.com Minumum stay three nights, maximum is five. There is a "job jar" as most have indicated they want to be put to work as part of the re entry process!!! The old church in front is in desperate need of some ruthless gardening. Carantona is 9klms off the Camino to Muxia near Ponte do Porto. It's a gorgeous walk along the Ria de Camarinas. I can pick you up in Muxia if you can't walk another step! Reservations are essential as there is room only for a maximum of four (or six VERY good friends!). All meals are included (mostly vegetarian) and tours of the history and mythology of the area can be arranged (dolmens, lighthouses, hermits and iron age castros ...) and hopefully so can some trout fishing!
If you are interested in learning a bit more about the Costa da Morte, see my blog at
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tracy - it sounds like heaven!
I have walked to Santiago six times but stopped claiming a Compostela after my second walk so would I still qualify? I still get my credencial stamped along the way.

Priscillian said:
If you are interested in learning a bit more about the Costa da Morte...
Yes, I am! My thoughts are already there every day. I'm so glad and happy for you that you came this far. Good luck with this wonderful initiative in your new home! Perhaps, one day... Geerт

Attachments

• Bruine Madonna klein.jpg
    Bruine Madonna klein.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 5,700
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sil, yes of course you would and would be very, very welcome indeed. I am a four time pilgrim but only have my first and Portuguese Compostela and my Finisterre one (very pretty; Muxia has one too). I would love you to visit. The reason for the Compostela was a difficult one to decide and like most "rules" is very flexible. I also would like to work with small groups of pilgrims who may be planning a pilgrimage or who may have walked a long time ago. The idea is very open to input!
The most important thing is for people to know that here is a place they can talk, or not talk, together or with a therapist (me), meditate or pray, write, re-establish connections, walk by the river or the ocean, read, sketch or paint, play guitar or flute, visit local sites including some extraordinary and solitary beaches and megalithic monuments (today I went to a 6th C BC castro and was the only one there!), garden (I don't have any land of my own alas), cook, go shopping at a local market, go fishing, or work to help restore an overgrown and sad church garden directly in front of the house or help out the locals in their own; if you have any special skills they will be most appreciated. I haven't figured out horse riding yet but I am sure it is possible.
The house is stone, the village is tiny, the people friendly and curious (there is a small bar filled with locals speaking Gallego), the fire is blazing in the stone fireplace and the beds are soft and cosy.
The one thing I do know is that, at least here in the Costa da Morte, Foxy and me are unique: as the original idea was ... pilgrim retreat - and once a pilgrim always a pilgrim, no???
Photos coming as soon as possible.
In the meantime...

What a fantastic initiative Tracy! So I guess that you need to change your location from Marbella :) !

Wishing you much warmth, peace and wonderful visitors!

Cheers,
LT

Tracy,

Wonderful initiative! Is it ok just to come and say hi when one isn't in the possibility to stay three days?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tracy,

What a wonderful gift to the pilgrim community. As I was reading your post I thought back to the conclusion (probably the wrong word as it never seems to end) of my own pilgrimage in Muxia last winter. It would have been great to have had such a quiet place to simply be still and talk through the wonder of what I had just experienced. Your home sounds like a perfect haven for those foot weary, but highly sensitized pilgrims who are trying to process their experiences while remaining open to all that tomorrow might bring. Hope to see you next winter. Thanks again for your kindness in opening your home to us.

John

Thank you all for your lovely encouragements both here and elsewhere. I tried really hard to upload some photos but in every case got a message saying File Too Large. Being the technodolt that I am (i.e. Huh???), and given the fact that I have NO spare time right now as have to get my school up and running (read tons of money going out and nothing coming in!), I didn't think the mods would get too shirty if I re-directed you to my blogsite.
Don't forget: A Casa do Raposito is my private home and is here to help you reflect on your Camino whether you have walked to Santiago or continued on to Fisterra and/or Muxia. 3 to 5 nights. All faiths are welcomed, and pagan heretics like me too! Strictly donativo. Reservations absolutely essential. Recent Compostela for individuals or Credentiales for groups of up to 5*: 0034 686 315 328 Carantona, near Muxia

http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com for a sneak peak. You can't be the first to sign the guestbook, but you could be the next ....

Tracy,

Good on ya lady! Happy all is moving and in the right direction. I will be back on Camino in April (Camino Ingles), but can't stay too long once in SDC.

I would like to drop by to say "HI" before I depart for the USA.

Am strongly considering another go at the Camino Frances following Easter 2013. Should that work, I'll definitely work in a continuation to Muxia/Finisterre and a longer stay with the Foxes.

All the best

Arn

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I visited the Casa this week, and it is a gem!
The walk from Muxia to this little house won´t be too tough for a seasoned pilgrim, and it passes through some knockout country -- beach, woods, watermills, Roman bridges, horses, hayfields, even a castle. I am afraid Tracy might spoil the pilgrims who make the effort to get there... they won´t ever want to go back home.

Gosh,
Now I'm not sure where I want to do chores...little Foxes or Peaceable Kingdom!
Maybe both on my 2013 CF. One should have such hard options.
Arn

Dear Arn and others,
One should not choose between the Peaceable and Foxy: that is like deciding between strawberry and chocolate ice cream. One should decide that one deserves both. The rest of the Camino is the vanilla in between! The Camino these days is definitely Neapolitan.
Rebekah: thanks for nice comments. You forgot the History and Mystery Tours to the Dolmens and the Castros ...and the German Hermit!
The pineapple was much appreciated! (and gone)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Priscillian said:
Sil, yes of course you would and would be very, very welcome indeed. I am a four time pilgrim but only have my first and Portuguese Compostela and my Finisterre one (very pretty; Muxia has one too). I would love you to visit. The reason for the Compostela was a difficult one to decide and like most "rules" is very flexible. I also would like to work with small groups of pilgrims who may be planning a pilgrimage or who may have walked a long time ago. The idea is very open to input!
The most important thing is for people to know that here is a place they can talk, or not talk, together or with a therapist (me), meditate or pray, write, re-establish connections, walk by the river or the ocean, read, sketch or paint, play guitar or flute, visit local sites including some extraordinary and solitary beaches and megalithic monuments (today I went to a 6th C BC castro and was the only one there!), garden (I don't have any land of my own alas), cook, go shopping at a local market, go fishing, or work to help restore an overgrown and sad church garden directly in front of the house or help out the locals in their own; if you have any special skills they will be most appreciated. I haven't figured out horse riding yet but I am sure it is possible.
The house is stone, the village is tiny, the people friendly and curious (there is a small bar filled with locals speaking Gallego), the fire is blazing in the stone fireplace and the beds are soft and cosy.
The one thing I do know is that, at least here in the Costa da Morte, Foxy and me are unique: as the original idea was ... pilgrim retreat - and once a pilgrim always a pilgrim, no???
Photos coming as soon as possible.
In the meantime...

I love this.
I am preparing for what is most likely a late April 2013 Madrid camino cycling to Santiago and then on to Finisterre and Muxia before returning to Santiago. I'm a christian, working as a clinical psychologist (tent making) for some 10 years now pursuing a narrative model of being with others and God. This journey is very clearly a pilgimage for me and at this stage I have few words to express what this means (I may never - its as Wilfred Stinson said... 'deep calling to deep'), but I hope that we bump into each other on the road. Do be encouraged stories enrich or impoversih our lives, so lets enrich them.

Torrent

Several people have asked me for more information about The Little Fox House, location and contact details and so on. Rather than post them here, perhaps you might like to click on this link:
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot. ... house.html

By the way, I have just become my 9,999th visitor to my blog, quite unintentionally!
Who will be number 10,000???

[attachment=0]A CASA DO RAPOSITO.jpg[/attachment

I'll post the location within the next couple of hours.

Attachments

• A CASA DO RAPOSITO.jpg
    A CASA DO RAPOSITO.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 4,717
Visitor number 10,000 was from the city of London, and looked at two pages at 8:55 on the 17th, using Mozilla Firefox (of course!) as a browser.
Is this you? Let me know in a PM and I'll put the best Cava on ice for when you come visit Foxy and me!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are 3 seniors from Canada and our time only allows us to walk part of the route from Santiago (Cee to Finisterre) and then part to Muxia. We would then return back to Santiago to go home.
Do we qualify for space at your home on May 7, 2012?

Ian

Well, in principal, no, because I do ask for a Compostela. However, if you walk from Cee to Fisterre, Fisterre to Muxia, and then Muxia to me here (15 klms, part of which is along the Camino) then, you will have walked a fair bit of the Camino. It is the spirit of the walk which counts for me.
Also, it's early days yet and provided I have no other pilgrims, then yes, you would be very welcome from the 7th through the 10th.
Buen Camino,
Tracy
PS. Contact via PM or via my blogsite please as I don't want to upset the Mods!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Tracy,

I've tried sending you a PM via this board but I don't think my messages are sending (they just sit in the outbox). I went to your blog but didn't find a way to message you. And I also posted a PM on your facebook page (not sure if you will read that).

Would like to connect with you re: end of June stay. Maybe you could send me an email to jessopr (at) gmail (dot) com? Thanks, Robert

tallrobert said:
I've tried sending you a PM via this board but I don't think my messages are sending (they just sit in the outbox).
Hi, PMs will sit in your Outbox until read by the recipient at which point they transfer to your Sent box. Don't fret Robert, you will get through!
Regards
Mig

Thanks Mig. Ivar just explained it to me as well. I feel like such a newsgroup newbie! Ha ha I'm glad you guys are all so easy going! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To anyone out there fretting, Tall Robert has now been replied to with a "Yes!" and I am reminded by my tardy response (por me culpa...) that I haven't been active enough on this Forum for a while. Blame it on my new language school which has been taking all my time. All this has to be paid for somehow! (Oh to be able to just stay here at the window and write...)
In the next few days I shall be working on a Facebook page for The Little Fox House. I shall also be waymarking (arrows in green) what someone called "El Camino de Raposito" and it has stuck. It's very possible that you will see one along the trail which follows the beach and then goes through the woods and finally along the River Grande. Look for the information in albergues from Santiago to Fisterre and Muxia too, and soon, Santiago Tourist Office will have some flyers.
It's all a go round here!

Don't fret, everything's good! I'm looking forward to discovering the green markers on the camino de raposito. Just have this pesky thing called work to deal with first. :)

Right then...
I've had my first pilgrims come and go and different types of post camino experiences have been had by all. In some cases, peace, tranquility and virtual solitude has been sought and found; in others it was "let's get out and see a bit of the Costa da Morte!" and I am happy to oblige.
Look out in albergues along the Camino Fisterre - Muxia for some information: you will see the little fox on it. Also in Santiago Tourist Office there was some left recently though I may have to top it up soon. I shall be doing the waymarking this weekend (finally!) is pale green (not fluorescent!). The "camino do Raposito" branches off the Camino to Muxia in Merexo and it is just 9.1 gorgeous klms from there to Carantona. There is one very small spot which might mean my wielding a machete soon though (very dangerous thought!) The rest is waymarked with the yellow and white hiker's signs along the river which with the recent rains (now gone) is quite spectacular and beautiful. I am going to buy some fishing rods - cheap ones probably. I know nothing at all about either fishing or golf. I cannot offer the latter! (Though there is go-kart track called Monte Calo in Calo very close by!!!)
Speaking of growing things as we were before I got sidetracked, across the road from the house is the Church of San Martin, circa 13th century. It has a "garden" desperately in need of some TLC. Any pilgims out there wanna given me hand to get it started? It's a great little sitting spot too. As the growing season continues there is bound to be an opportunity to help out on some of the local farms too (as an experience that is, not paid work). No doubt any special skills you have would be appreciated too.
OH, I can easily find a home for your mule!!! I have a donkey one one side and a cow on the other.
The house guitar is about to be bought soon... I would like one made in Santiago.
Temperature today on the way to the Santiago airport hit 27 degrees but tonight is much cooler as a sea mist suddenly swept in. There are flowers EVERYWHERE.
No-one has complained about my cooking yet....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Waymarking done yesterday for "El Camino do Raposito" from the Camino to (or from) Muxia beginning in Merexo. Look for the green arrows ("pistacio actually!") and occasional glimpse of Foxy himself. The trail is 9.1 klms long and follows the Ria de Camariñas for the most part. Much is by the little road (very little traffic) but there is also a walk along the beach and the last 2 klms are along the Rio Grande and through the trees to Carantoña. All in all, a gorgeous walk to your Post-Camino retreat. I am leaving more information at all the albergues to Fisterre and Muxia and also at the Pilgrim´s Office, the Tourist Office, and the Museo das Peregrinaciones (highly recommended) in Santiago. If you don´t have time to walk to the coast there are frequent buses from Santiago and I can pick you up in Vimianzo.
For more information click on the link at
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspo​t.com
Os invitais ...

Lookin forward to my delayed, but inevitable visit..let me know what seeds are needed for the garden next spring & I will bring the from Auz & UK.... :D

"Oh Wow!" I just said and was immediately thankful the pilgrims were in bed and out of earshot! Um, California poppies, spaghetti squash, night scented stock, lupins, rose of sharon, lilac if it comes in seeds, lemongrass, cilantro ..... oh this is so exciting.... and most of all: ginseng roots! I am absolutely convinced I can turn Galicia's economy around with Ginseng, as has happened in Wisconsin and Ontario. Do you think I can even get it online!? Can´t wait to share the FoxyHouse/Jardin de SanMartin Iglesia y de los Peregrinos with you!
See FB The Little Fox Nouse Albums for what we arw doinbg with the garden. It's very much a work in progress, but so much fun and the community loves us for it.
GRACIÑAS! T

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For those of you thinking about the "what now..." end of your Camino, I have finally finished the website for The Little Fox House and here it is:
http://www.thelittlefoxhouse.com
(And don't worry, Ivar. I am only going to post it this once...)
Lots of photos of TLFH, pilgrims, beautiful places and happy faces. Plus some sage advice on how to plan your Camino so that you have a few days over to get ready for the journey home. That's where the Camino REALLY begins! And an update on El Jardin de San Martin, the flower/herb garden we are creating at the church. Enjoy...

Attachments

• Camino 036 (450x338).jpg
    Camino 036 (450x338).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 782
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back