• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino Sanctuary Update!!!

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
Guess what? It's DONE!!! Done, done, done, done...
La Casa del Zorrito (The House of the LIttle Fox), 9 klms from the Muxia Camino, will officially become a pre-Post Camino Sanctuary on January 1st 2012 (Si Dios Quiere). I had a wonderful time scouting out all the beautiful places around the little house: a trout river 5 minutes walk away with an already waymarked trail leading into Ponte do Porto, forest walks and the most BEAUTIFUL beaches you have ever seen just 6 klms away. Even a recent wolf sighting!
Now I can add fishing rods and picnic equipment to guitar, sketch pads, paints, books etc.
AND I have the PERFECT gardening project to arrange with the local priest (church dedicated to St. Martin directly in front desperately needs TLC).
I can't wait...
Thanks to all of you who completed the questionnaire. Your comments are very encouraging and you have given me some great ideas.
If I can figure out how to post a picture on here I will. Failing that see my blog or the album I am creating on Facebook. Foxy will certainly have to have his own FB page.
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
Oh, and please keep those responses coming on the questionnaire. Scroll down a post or two for the Survey Monkey link. Ta. T

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That sounds really great, an incredible project !
Reading your description I would like to go there straight, right now :mrgreen: .

Are there informations yet available about how many places there are at a time, prices and other conditions?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fantastic!

I truly believe the Camino provides Way more than many can imagine.

Some of us have gone on to establishing programs, events, albergues, agencies, written books etc that fulfill the needs of pilgrims past, present and future.

La Casa del Zorrito may be the latest star in the Compostela.

Congrats,

Arn

Thanks all. I am going to try to summarise the response to the questionnaire this weekend as I think Forum members will find it interesting. As well as the written responses, the demographics came as quite a surprise. *of course I was limited to here, Facebook, and my own blog as sources and so non-English speaking nationalities are not properly represented - and by and large the Spanish are just as happy to go home!
I am moving to Galicia at the beginning of the new year. Of course, all will be chaos for the first month until I begin to adjust to MY new life too (I am planning on opening a language school to make a living). But by February I'll probably be able to welcome pilgrims and Beiramar (que nombre mas bonito!) you will be most welcome, recent Compostela (normally required) or not!
Also, thank you for having the courage to start the other thread. You are probably beginning to see that you are far from alone...
On the CP, did you meet Fernanda in Lugar do Corgo? If I felt depressed, I think that is the first place I would head for...

P.S.to all ... How DO I post a photo???

Enhorabuena, Traci! The Liébana Juju came through for you!
You are a testimony to the power of intention.
Hats off to you, and may God keep you on this next part of your journey.

Reb.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Tracy,
I do a good foot massage and am not bad at gardening so I would like to put my name down for a stint at the sanctuary!
Good luck with the move and happy, happy in your new home.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 806&type=1

Here's an attempt at a picture link. It SAYS on FB that this should work, but that doesn't take into account that IT and I are not very compatible...
Hope it works so that you all can see what you have in store when you come visit...
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com

Later edit:
Y ... A ... Y! It works. Click on the link above to see my FB album "A River Runs Through It": La Casa del Zorrito and all his beautiful surroundings.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Miguel: YEP! That's it. And in front is the church. The gardens are all overgrown and one of the first projects I would like to offer for the villagers and the pilgrims who want to participate is to tidy it up and re-plant it. I'll appeal for cuttings, seeds, do some "found gardening" for ground cover etc. It's a great make work project as part of the re-entry process. The house has no land of its own (though it is surrounded by it) but I am going to talk to neighbours to see if we can rent a small part to sit as well as here at the church. Maybe sort out an arrangement for a small vegetable garden too, though I have been told to "go slowly" with my ideas...
It's got such a pretty "face" don't you think?
So exciting!

Attachments

• brown-madonna.jpg
    brown-madonna.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 1,601
Attachment from Geert above is The Brown Madonna: very Big, and Beautiful and ... Brown. The candle below I know is burning for me and the Little Fox and all the pilgrims who will come and play with him, just as it has been burning for quite a while now. Geert is a good friend, met here on this Forum; yet we have never met in person.
I am learning so much about the nature of faith and prayer and for a Happy Heretic that's quite a learning curve. I'd like to take the opportunity here to thank Everyone who has been so supportive. The house isn't mine yet. Won't be for another 14 months (am renting to buy) and in that time I have to come up with some proposal which will tick all the bank's boxes. But I know that this WILL BE. Everything points towards it, even the Tarot card I found, inexplicably, in front of the house last Tuesday! (Eight of Wands if you are into that sort of thing.)
If you build it, they will come..."?
I'm building. Do come...
Tracy Saunders

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will of course make The Grand Announcement when el Zorrito and I are ready to receive visitors. Conservatively I would say from February 1st, but if no-one minds chaos then from mid-January.
Thanks to everyone for cheering me on. There's still much work to do over the next 14 months when the really serious financial issues will come up but I know I can climb those mountains when the time comes.
It's all very exciting and I am SO looking forward to meeting all of you.
Tracy Saunders

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Priscillian said:
The Brown Madonna: very Big, and Beautiful and ... Brown
The photo of this Brown Madonna [in the former Santiago pilgrim’s chapel Op Hodenpijl outside Schipluiden between Rotterdam and The Hague – I still don’t know why She is brown] from my cell phone came out bigger than I expected. Ivar helped by downseizing it and he gave this tip: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/digita ... cesize.htm .

Perhaps another trick is first e-mailing the picture to yourself and let Outlook do the job. Here’s also a smaller black Madonna Op Hodenpijl, reduced by mailing from 437 to 46 kB [it took a while but don't ask me how Picasa 3, Windows, Outlook and I did it!].

There's a lot more on Black Madonna's on this Forum. There are hundreds all over the world; see http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_zwarte_madonna's

Attachments

• zwarte Madonna Op Hodenpijl.jpg
    zwarte Madonna Op Hodenpijl.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,582
I was unable to upload the sello for some reason but will try again later, but in the meantime I thought you might like to see what the sign will look like.
Isn't he handsome?
The traditional name for the house is la casa del raposo. Raposo is Gallego for fox. I thought about it but decided to stick with the Castellano and anyway, in English it is The House of the Little Fox. I wonder what his real name is?
He and I should be up for receiving visitors by the end of January, even sooner if you don't might utter chaos.
In addition to a guitar and art materials, I am going to buy some fishing rods: trout in my river!
This will be a total life change for me and I am a little bit apprehensive, naturally; but really it is such an exciting move. I am also going to offer the opportunity of exploring the neighborhood a little: dolmens and petroglyphs, castles, churches, monasteries, beaches and lighthouses, quirky museums - all those things you just won´t see without transportation (unless you walk there!). Some culture - and ghost stories! I'm calling it History and Mystery Tours. What do you think?
Foxy and I can't wait to meet you!
Tracy
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com

Attachments

• Foxy sign pic.jpg
    Foxy sign pic.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,462
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would never had thought of that, falcon. Rules seem to be more stringent (written exam) than here in Ontario - one of the big sport fishing areas in NA....

Although I guess if you were really keen to fish at the Little Fox, you could probably manage to comply with the requirements...

In the land of rules, rules are made to be broken! But this is one I won't break. Yes, I already knew I would have to apply for a fishing licence but thought I'd have to get all the information from local authorities and probably in Gallego! So thanks mucho for the info, Falcon! If there is the possibility of fresh trout on the menu I don't think I'll be applying for catch and release...
And Lynne John, the Spanish have written exams for EVERYTHING which is why very few people know how to do the practical stuff. :!:

Priscillian said:
In the land of rules, rules are made to be broken! But this is one I won't break......

So how are you getting on with the registration of the lodging with Turgalicia? That is far more important than a fishing licence.
Looks as if you are moving to a great location. Welcome to Galicia :D :D :D :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Little Fox House has a fire going in the lareira, soup's on, big beds are warm and cosy, and the surroundings just beg for pilgrim meditation walks. Weather is cool but mostly sunny. "Official" opening of A Casa do Raposito is March 1st, but pilgrims walking to Muxia, Finisterre or those finishing in Santiago are very welcome to come and "chill" for a few days. Compostela is necessary as the idea is for pilgrims to reflect on their Camino before returning home.
This is my private home, not an albergue. Those who come here come as guests and all is strictly donativo, so no Turgalicia necessary. It is a haven of peace and quiet and your need for privacy will be respected. Sometimes I feel as though I am in the 14th century!
Got some great recipes to try. Even have a machine that does back and shoulder massage and a foot spa ... extensive book and video library, internet.
Will post some photos as soon as I can.
In the meantime anyone wishing to stay can call me at 0034 686 315 328, or email me at priscillianmartyr@yahoo.com Minumum stay three nights, maximum is five. Carantona is 9klms from the Camino to Muxia between Vimianzo and Camarinas. I can pick you up in Muxia if you can't walk another step! Reservations are essential as there is room only for a maximum of five. All meals are included (mostly vegetarian) and tours of the history and mythology of the area can be arranged.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.