• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post-camino tattoo?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There was a tattoo shop at the end of Rua Villar and I was tempted to have one (scallop with the St James cross) on the back of my neck but chickened out at the last moment. If there will be another chance at doing the Camino I'll definitely do it!

Mark

I do not think that they are common; I have only seen two. One was on a pilgrim on Salt Spring Island in British Columbia, who had a scallop shell on his left bicep, and a woman in a lake near Ottawa who had the cruz espadon (is that correct Spanish?) with date of pilgrimage above her heart.

The scallop is perhaps the only tattoo which speaks to me sufficiently that I would want it permanently affixed and I am seriously thinking of having one after my next Camino (the third, d.v.).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i saw a group of pereginos (about 4?) that had a blue square with a yellow arrow on their upper arms when i arrived in santiago de compostela. i'm not sure if they were temporary tattoos or real ones, but i thought that was amusing.

well, after my first Camino in 2002 I got a tatoo with the Santiago cross on my left biceps. It's only a small tatoo, but I love it!
Rolf

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK, I have resisted commenting because I'm just a boring old fart. But I promise this will be the last.

I set out in at the age of around 11 to get through life without too many regrets. The only real one I have is the multiple piercings of my ears in the 1970's - I very quickly got over the youthful impulse to do something rebelliously 'irrevocable' to myself, and found that they won't heal up and a couple show the blueish 'tattoo' of the sooty needle I used.

In my job I have seen many tattoos - many on veterans of the last two World Wars. Of the many hundreds over a 25-year career as a nurse - I have not known a single older person with a tattoo who has not felt enduring regret at having it done. And believe me, they don't look pretty on wrinkly skin.

Think twice about any tattoo. Do you really need to indelibly mark yourself to be an individual, or proclaim your beliefs?

Pip signing off

¡Ola pip!

I totally understand your position on this, and very much understand the significance of marking oneself permanently and what that may mean in the future, both the physical reprocussions and the chance of regret.

However, I speak up, because I believe there is something slightly different between "rebelliously irrecovable" and a choice to profoundly mark something forever.

This tattoo that I chose is my third. The first two are hidden and private, while the latest - the one that marks my completion of the camino - is the only one that is in plain view. I thought very hard about getting each of my tattoos, none of them were spontaneous and done in the heat of a moment or some fleeting feeling. Each of these tattoos I have are significant markers in my life and each has a story that is special and meaningful to me.

No, I didn't need to "indelibly mark" myself to proclaim my beliefs, or because it was trendy, or to even prove to others that I walked the camino - that is something that will be inside of me forever, and I feel no need to prove it to anyone.

But I chose to get this tattoo even *before* I started the camino; I knew I would get a third and final one someday and felt compelled to mark this year of my life. It just so happens my journey on the camino played an important part of my journey in life, and this permanent physical symbol will be a constant reminder of what I was able to accomplish and what I still can.

It's all just perspective: Perhaps someday I may regret the stretched or faded markings (and if I really hate them, I'll get laser surgery to remove them. Just joking!) But perhaps they will always stay the special symbols of my transformations, my accomplishments, and my state of being during the times I received them.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that one should think twice about any tattoo. I would simply append one should think very long and hard about it and be absolutely sure why.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I've been watching this discussion with great interest. In June this year, I nearly walked into the tattoo shop on Rua Vilar as I wanted a Camino tattoo, of scallop shell and Santiago cross, on my upper back. But with a 24hr train trip 2 days later, followed by a 24hr plane trip home, thought it might be a bit painful.

Now I'm home I wish I'd gone ahead with it. So am looking for a good design I can take to a local shop and finally get the tattoo I wanted. This will be my first, and possibly only, tattoo.

By the way, I'm at the 'older' end of middle-age, so hope all the wrinkles don't get in the way too much!! Not that it really matters. It's my skin and I'm the only one who should be concerned about it.

Pjdine has a point, and underlines a number of the considerations which has made me hesitate in the past. I am aware of the permanence of a tattoo and no design nor any idea has spoken to me sufficiently that I would think of anything being permanently inscribed. But the Camino experience does mark one internally.... mercifully the scallop shell and the cross of Santiago are fairly discreet designs...

I recently got one after finishing my Camino in June. I used the design from La Rioja, which I thought was one of the nicer of the designs of the shell. I decided to get it on my foot--most obviously because it seemed fitting since it was a walking pilgrimage, but also because it was easily hide-able from future employers (and my parents), not to mention a body part that wouldn't get too wrinkly when I get older.
If anyone's curious to see how it turned out, here's a picture (notice the still-visible sock tan that is a familiar site for us pilgrims...): http://www.unc.edu/~ewilde/tat/DSC07073.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very nice Emmywilde,

Both my kids (S 36/D31) have tats. Christopher has them in areas you can't see (military units symbols...raiders, etc) and one that's very visible...it's the SA flag with two proteas on either side. Romi just had a beautiful portrait of her Mom (5x7) in full color on the lower back. They did it in honor of their Mom when she passed away. What could I say?

I have no tattoos. In my world, ease of identification is a no-no. Maybe when I am really retired...some day!

Arn

Ha - I started a thread about this topic awhile back under the Misc thread. I'm still thinking of getting one my albergue stamps from my credencial tattooed onto my right leg. There are a lot of cool stamp designs that lend themselves to tat possibilities... :arrow:

Hi,I've just picked up on this thread,so am a bit late with my twopennorth. Pip,I will be the exception to the rule - I have 6 tattoos on my forearms and biceps - pictures of eagles , swallows and a nice peacock - all done over 30 years ago,and I can honestly say I have never regretted them for a moment.However,at the outset I decided not to have anything that couldn't be covered up if necessary (job interviews etc) and to have no words,though I broke that one to have my wife's name inscribed!!(I'll have to stay with her now!!!)
I am planning to do my first camino next spring,and will definately have a small scallop shell done on my forearm when I've finished the walk.
Happy Xmas,Prosperous New Year and buen camino!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Vinotinto, I was going to PM this link to you but then thought others who are thinking of having tattoos might also like to have a look at it.

This website features over 1000 sellos from the various caminos. Click on DESCRUBE LOS SELLOS (left hand side) to find the stamps on the camino you have walked.

http://www.lossellosdelcamino.com/

One thing to be aware of before you get that "Cruz Espada" (cross/sword of Santiago) tattoo: that symbol was co-opted for a long time by Franco and the Falange fascists in Spain to legitimize their policies. (The generalissimo considered himself a christian crusader and was fond of likening himself to Santiago Matamoros!)

Some Spaniards still have negative reactions to that symbol...not to mention Spaniards who are Muslims! FYI.

Rebekah de Moratinos
http://www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have several tattoos, and i use them to mark significant steps in my life. I also have a rule that I must have sat with an idea for at least a year before I get it inked in. I was thinking about getting some form of a map of my route on my foot, like an earlier poster I like the idea of using feet as the marker.

A dear friend had a dolphin tattooed on her hip. Over the years she has put on weight and the dolphin now looks like an orca.
Feet are probably the best place for them!

Mic,

I don't know about you...but most folks find the bottom of the foot very ticklish. My Daughter and my Son both have Tats. In my Son, Christopher's case they represent his raider background (Mako shark) and his South African heritage. Bordering the SA flag are two protea's in honor of his Mom who was a cancer survivor for nine years.

In my Daughter's case, she had a 5 x 8 portrait of her Mom put on the left side small of her back. She said she was in tears the entire time. Seems to me, that if the bottom of one's foot is already sensitive and, having a tat put there...it's the ultimate in pleasure and pain.

I'm not there yet!

Buen Camino

Arn

Attachments

• chrispic.jpg
    chrispic.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 27,185
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pshew!! A real Bokkie!
It must've been all the mealie pap and boerewors that made him into a hunk.
Now, where are Dad's tattoos? We are panting in anticipation!

Hi,
for anyone thinking of getting a Camino related tattoo, or any other sort for that matter, and later comes to regret it there is a way to get rid of it.
Laser treatment is painful and very expensive but it works. A tattoo which cost me about £20 some years ago cost more than £800 to have removed.
My advice would be walk on past that tattoo shop.

Sil,

Both my Son and Daughter take their SA heritage seriously. Each, took their new spouse to SA for the honeymoon (30 days) to make sure the connection was reinforced. Ida's family the DeWaals and the Viller's go back quite aways. Her Dad was #3 in SA Railways and had his own car on the Blue Train...yissssssssieeeeeee!

Sil wrote: Now, where are Dad's tattoos? We are panting in anticipation!

Although I have considered them in the past, they weren't an option in my line of work. That said, I am somewhat drawn to the dagger.

We'll just have to wait and see...won't we!

Ta

Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was very interested to come across this thread. I have been contemplating getting a very small tattoo somewhere for about 4 years now and have never found something that I know I would not regret years down the track.

The idea of a small scallop shell sounds quite nice. I'm thinking about 2 square centimetres, so pretty small. Maybe just above the ankle? Or then inside of the forearm near the wrist... has to be on the left though (I'm a lefty)!

Very interesting indeed.
p.

Ahhhh but it will be done after we have walked the camino! Surprisingly, my fiance thinks that it's a pretty neat idea. She normally doesn't go for tattoos. Must be a sign.

Found this photo today....
2633670478_ef256afb16.jpg

From Flickr.com

Saludos,
Ivar

I have quite a large tattoo on my shoulder - it is the waymarking sign. (I have tried to download it but have not been successful).

This year (with my 3rd camino) I will get a very small scallop shell on my inner wrist. I have designed it already and love it. These tattoos mean a lot to me and so they are now a permanent reminder on my body (to accompany my mind and memory) of my caminos. By the way, I will turn 65 during this upcoming camino, so I reject the idea that tattoos are not for "seniors"!

I have also had a wonderful gold ring made up of the scallop shell which I always enjoy wearing.

These are all just personal affectations. I just enjoy tangible reminders of my most favorite memories....

If anyone can help me with uploading my tattoo pix, I'd appreciate it. I keep getting the message that it is limited to 256 kb. I have reduced it to something that is almost unrecognizable, but still it is not accepted!

Hi Lynnejohn

[*If anyone can help me with uploading my tattoo pix, I'd appreciate it. I keep getting the message that it is limited to 256 kb. I have reduced it to something that is almost unrecognizable, but still it is not accepted!]

This is a similar question from Omar504; I have copied the forum and its answers, hope it helps. You need to log into Ivar's answer to get into the "found some tips" web. If you are still having problems please pm me with the photo as an attachment and I will do my best to return it to you in a reduced size.
Kwaheri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by omar504 on 03 Jul 2008, 01:00

I uploaded a photo but received a message saying it was too large-is there any way to reduce the number of megapixels of the original so they can be posted?
omar504

Reply No 1 with quote Re: Posting Photos
by NaKwendaSafari on 03 Jul 2008, 07:45

Yes Omar, there are several programs for resizing photos so they can be posted on the web, usually reduced to 600 pixels wide. Surf the web, or download the free sizing program for Windows "PIXresizer", sorry it may not work on the Mac. Let me know if this free program works for you.
I did this recently, see my postings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply No 2 with quote Re: Posting Photos
by ivar on 03 Jul 2008, 09:16

Yes, there is a problem if you try to upload a picture that comes straight from your camera. This photo is usually way to big and one would need to reduce it.
I did a quick search and found some tips on how to do this.
This is also a service that does this online:
http://www.reducephoto.com/
.. I have not used them, but it looks like it might work.
Let me know if you still are having problems.

Saludos,
Ivar

Maybe I am just lucky; I can close my eyes (or even keep them open) and relive the Camino. I don't need permanently inked skin, or even a Compostela, to tell me where I have been and what I have done.

To each his own, though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am not aware of anyone being talked out of a tattoo, so this is not an attempt to do that! Following is a mildly humorous op-ed piece from the Washington Post that will not change anyone's mind:

Ink-Stained Wretchedness
By Richard Cohen
Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tattoos are the emblems of our age. They bristle from the biceps of men in summer shirts, from the lower backs of women as they ascend stairs, from the shoulders of basketball players as they drive toward the basket, and from every inch of certain celebrities. The tattoo is the battle flag of today in its war with tomorrow. It is carried by sure losers.

About 40 percent of younger Americans (26 to 40) have tattoos. About 100 percent of these have clothes they once loved but now hate. How can anyone who knows how fickle fashion is, how times change, how their own tastes have "improved," decorate their body in a way that's nearly permanent? I don't get it.

Johnny Depp once had "Winona Forever" tattooed on his shoulder but changed it to "Wino Forever" when his relationship with Winona Ryder turned out to last somewhat short of "forever." Angelina Jolie once sported the name "Billy Bob," for Billy Bob Thornton, but, since she began a relationship with Brad Pitt, has had it replaced with the global coordinates of her children's birthplaces. She is also emblazoned with the legend "Know Your Rights." The British writer Simon Mills likens that to a sign hung in small-claims court.

David Beckham has turned his body into a billboard of Hebrew, Chinese and Hindi characters, not to mention a semi-nude representation of his wife. Victoria Beckham, the aforementioned semi-nude, is graffitied with Roman numerals and Hebrew lettering. As for the conspicuously tattooed Amy Winehouse, her lyrics bespeak an intelligence that someday -- if she has a someday -- will cause her to wonder why she never gave that day a thought.

I asked a college professor what she thought of tattoos, and she said that for young people, they represent permanence in an ever-changing world. But how is that possible? Anyone old enough and smart enough to get into college knows that only impermanence is permanent. Everything changes -- including, sweetie, that tight tummy with its "look at me!" tattoo. Time will turn it into false advertising.

The permanence of the moment -- the conviction that now is forever -- explains what has happened to the American economy. We are, as a people, deeply in debt. We are, as a nation, deeply in debt. The average American household owes more than its yearly income. We save almost nothing (0.4 percent of disposable income) and spend almost everything (99.6 percent of disposable income) in the hope that tomorrow will be a lot like today. We bought homes we could not afford and took out mortgages we could not pay and whipped out the plastic on everything else. Debts would be due in the future, but, with any luck, the future would remain in the future.
Here and there the occasional scold warned that all this was unsustainable. Social Security is underfunded. The government ought to -- just occasionally -- balance its books. But for a long time, the unsustainable seemed sustainable. The immutable rules were mutable. Virtually the entire political establishment insisted that tomorrow would never come. Republicans joined with Democrats in never calling in a loan. Who says bipartisanship is dead? Not when it comes to fiscal irresponsibility.

I recall a tiny scandal of some years back when it was alleged that George Shultz, then secretary of state, had a tattoo of a tiger on the nether reaches of his body. This was credible because Shultz had gone to Princeton, where such tattooing was once customary for undergrads, although not, I hope, for the faculty. (I am thinking now of Einstein.) I also know a Navy man who had a bicep done in World War II, not that it stopped him from becoming executive editor of The Post. I withhold his name out of consideration for his family.

But the tattoos of today are not minor affairs or miniatures placed on the body where only an intimate or an internist would see them. Today's are gargantuan, inevitably tacky, gauche and ugly. They bear little relationship to the skin that they're on. They don't represent an indelible experience or membership in some sort of group but an assertion that today's whim will be tomorrow's joy. After all, a tattoo cannot be easily removed. It takes a laser -- and some cash.

I have decades' worth of photos of me wearing clothes that now look like costumes. My hair has been long and then longer and then short. My lapels have been wide, then wider, then narrow. I have written awful columns I once thought were brilliant and embraced ideas I now think are foolish. Nothing is forever.

Seize the day -- laser tomorrow.

@ Sil
thanks for the tattoo sello link
ive been completely reckless
and saved one of the sellos as my laptop's screensaver
and i'll change it to another when i get tired of it

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Its funny about half way through my way I took to Stamping Sello's on my left calf. Became a bit of a running theme to the trek to see how many of the albergues and bars would let the crazy Auzzie stamp himself.

Strange I became kind of attached to them and when I look down I kind of miss them even though they look like cert stamps on a side of beef.

May be a possibility!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
falcon269 said:
"Awesome" good, or "awesome" bad?? :wink:

awesome good to my eyes....i wish i saw this before i got mine done. Mine is a 4 inch st james cross on my arm

na2than said:
falcon269 said:
"Awesome" good, or "awesome" bad?? :wink:

awesome good to my eyes....i wish i saw this before i got mine done. Mine is a 4 inch st james cross on my arm

Awesome good... I think though I want a large St James cross with the shell behind, but more of the gothic styled cross.

Then start adding dates below the marker. :!:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been toying with the idea of getting another tattoo so this might tip me over the edge. we'll see how the camino affects me. I have visions of a very subtle one on the side of my foot. something you would only see if I pointed it out or you happened to be up close and personal with my foot. I don't like large visible tats - particularly on women - unless that is the person's style (i.e. full sleeves, etc.). It's a hold over from when I used to have to attend black tie affairs on a regular basis and would see a woman in a beautiful dress with a tacky tattoo showing. A couple months ago I saw a girl with one of the few visible tattoos I've ever really liked. And it was really subtle. It was pencil-thin flowering vines running up her right side and slightly wrapping around her front and back. I hung out with her for a few days before I even noticed it. It was very delicate and pretty.

my tatoo has healed up well...and to my eyes looks great...it is just below my shoulder on my upper arm. In a normal t shirt it can not be seen, this is important to me.I may have another at santiago..maybe of a favoured sellos...never know how the mood will take you

At sixty-one years old, I got my first tattoo: the La Riojo shell, which I thought was the most pleasing of the Camino waymarkers. It it on my right hand, between the thumb and index finger. It is constant reminder to keep the lessons learned on the Camino and a good icebreaker when meeting someone.

http://threehundredzeroes.com/LaRiojaTattoo.html

LaRiojaTattoo.html

like the Hawaii Iron Man do with the Iron Man symbol. Or is that taking things too far ?

I'd say so. And Ironman tats .. that's known as willy-waving.. :) (sorry)

Doing something for your own reasons counts. Memories last. Doing something and needing to mark it out so people can see it and know it is a bit attention-seeking imo -you won't need the reminder yourself if the message really sunk in. I saw a guy on the camino with a tattoo of the shell and thought it was a bit odd, surely it's done for inner reasons not outer displays? And without belittling the experience or achievement, I know people who've done much harder and more exciting things than a camino or an ironman and you'd never know it unless you got onto that topic with them in conversation. They don't do it for a badge, just for the experience and the journey. Humility and reservedness counts for a lot there. Just my 2p tho, I hope you don't take offence if you have tattoos. This topic is probably more about how people feel about tatoos in general than the event they mark, and I have no issues at all with tattoos themselves. The topic and expression counts for much more than the fact you have them at all.

Re: Post-camino tattoo? Heart Shaped Sweat Mark Design?! LOL

Did anyone notice the heart shaped sweat mark on Arn's son's Pic?

Tatoos are not my thing/for me.. but I couldn't help but notice natures tatoo!

I have a feeling nature will have plenty of sweat to artistically create with on the camino!

Pace,
Lisa

I just have to say that I love this topic. I will be doing my Camino next year and will most likely get a tattoo to mark the accomplishment. I know many people dislike tattoos and must constantly tell those who have them that they will regret it - I don't know why anyone else cares what I do to my body, it's my body and it's my choice to mark it if I wish.
Now, I'll step off my soap-box, and say that my second trip to Spain 7 years ago (study abroad) resulted in a tattoo the day before I left, and I love it every day I look at it. I'm sure I will feel the same way about a tattoo I get to mark this part of my life.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I a m49 years old and I just finished the Camino on June 1. I got a tattoo in Santiago of a blue concha on my inner wrist. It looks like a sello! I love it. The guy who owns the place is from ...um...Chile? Argentina? I can't remember. But he speaks perfect English after having spent 4 years in New York practicing his art. He talking to me for quite a while, drew the concha free hand and used my suggestions. It was a great experience and I am VERY glad I have it. I can't remember the name of the place - something involving Sangre. Sangre Sagrada maybe?

I decided to get my Camino tattoo as soon as I returned back home from my first Camino. For me, it was not only an homage to the Camino, but also a way to share my Camino experience with others.

So many people have asked me about its significance, and this has served as an introduction to great Camino discussions. In fact, one person even decided to complete her own Camino journey after many discussions (which started by asking about my tattoo!).

This was a personal tribute and although many don't agree with tattooing, it's all a matter of choice!
Cheers from Canada

http://sylviehanes.ca/2013/01/08/a-camino-update/shell-tatoo/

http://sylviehanes.ca/2013/01/08/a-camino-update/

Ooh i like that, thats a really nice tattoo Aldy! Is that on your calf?

I'm still dithering, i have images I want but no idea how to put it all together. I really should just take them all into a tattoo shop and get them to draw something for me but how do you explain to someone your journey so that they capture it right?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here's mine:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1046263109 ... 9975760530

I got it a few months after I came back in 2011. It reads, in French, "all roads lead to ourselves". The poppy was so present during my May-June walk that I felt it needed to be there. Now, I just need to think about the next one for my September Camino :)

I just got the stylized shell in white on my wrist - I've known I wanted this tattoo ever since I first knew I wanted to walk the Camino, six years ago. It's in white since it's in a such a visible area - it's subtle and will become even more subtle as it fades.

I think tattoos are no longer stigmatized as they were in the past... but I like to think of themselves as a way to remind myself of things that were and are important to me, and that I want to be important to me in the future. (And things that are worth the pain - the wrist is *very* sensitive, as it turns out!)

(This picture was taken moments after it was finished, so it's in monochrome for the faint of heart...)

8343522601_5e3468c916.jpg

Interesting.......18,000 have viewed this topic, but only a few have commented!
Are we just voyeurs? No tattoo here! They look painfully beautiful!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Two of my pilgrim sisters and I discussed it often on the camino. I was walking with my dad, who despises tattoos, and they would often joke about being terrible influences on me (being about 10 years older).

A few months ago one of them posted a photo on my facebook wall of the camino tattoos they'd gotten with the message, "don't tell superdad!" (their rather accurate nickname of my dad.) One got a flecha, and one got the Logrono shell. And I have to say their bad influence may be rubbing off on me as well - considering getting one after my next camino!

I have to say, I would love to get it in Spain, accompanied by pilgrim friends... but unfortunately, in reality I'd have to say that it strikes me as being enormously impractical, erring on the side of stupid... It's the last thing I want to worry about for the rest of my trip before I make it home.

I have to say, I generally do not like tattoos. I can appreciate them, but I have never thought about getting one. But then, maybe it's that nothing in my life has ever affected me enough to feel I need to ink some sort of tribute to it on my body.... and then the Camino came into my life.

Time will tell!

Ultreia

Love your tattoo, and hadn't thought of one specifically for the Camino - till now. I have several, all with poignant meaning for me - my favourite being two words on the inside of my left wrist: "let go". Congrats on the Camino and the life-long memory, inside and out.

profesara said:
I just got the stylized shell in white on my wrist - I've known I wanted this tattoo ever since I first knew I wanted to walk the Camino, six years ago. It's in white since it's in a such a visible area - it's subtle and will become even more subtle as it fades.

Very good idea! I also have a white ink tattoo on my wrist and I really like it- though it's the only one I have that I've had o get touched up several times over the years too keep it visible ;-)
I have a Camino tattoo lingering in my mind, and am just waiting on a couple other separate ideas to form before I make my appointment- I like to go in and get several at one time. I will of course post in this thread when it's complete!

I'm sure most people who view this thread have SOMETHING to say whether it's good or bad, I'm also surprised there are not more posts here!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't embarked on my camino yet, but I will almost certainly get a tattoo to commemorate it. I have two tattoos already - a quarter-sized one on my back, between my shoulder blades, and a small one on my inner wrist - both meaningful in their own ways. The one on my wrist is in honor of someone who died quite young, and I'd like to convert it into a stylized shell when I finish, as my walk will be partly in his honor. And I'd like to say that although I am relatively young (30), I've had my first tattoo since I was 16 and have never for a moment regretted it. I don't think people ever try to convince others that they SHOULD get a tattoo, so I don't understand this compulsion to try and convince folks not to. If my body or body art offends you in any way, you have my permission not to look at it :D

I walked quite a way with 2 other people on the Frances last year and at one point someone suggested we should each get a tattoo to remember our journey. I am 65 and have never been a tattoo fan, even though one of my sons, who is a jeweller, does tattooing, but over the next few days I thought about it and decided that I would get the shell put on my foot. The other 2 agreed and when we got to Santiago we checked out the tattoo parlour. We didn't like the place and the tattooist had no good drawings of the shell so we decided to check out drawings when we returned home and send them to each other to check out.
I now live in Australia and my son is in New Zealand and when I visited late last year we spoke about the tattoo. A short time later he showed me a drawing he had done of the scallop shell and asked if I wanted it done. Straight away I said yes and now have a 3cm scallop shell on the side of my foot.
I have sent the drawing to my 2 walking companions who are still deciding whether to go ahead.

If I finish my camino I'll probably do something like that on my calf. It is beautiful and it would remind me of my dream and my completion of it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will commence my journey from SJPDP to Santiago 15/8/13 and I have just had the cross of St James tattoo put on my wrist to keep me motivated to complete the journey.... I love it, I will add another tattoo when I complete the journey
Hope to cross paths with some of you on my journey ....Debbie - buen camino

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1372155711.408424.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1372155711.408424.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 3,171
I will definitely be getting a tattoo for the camino, afterwards. However, I'll wait until I come back home to see my tattoo guy. I will put it on my thigh. One of my legs is dedicated to my bucket list. As I cross off major accomplishments, such as the camino, I'll have something that represents that accomplishment. :) It's like a forever trophy. A "trophy wall" I can carry with me everywhere! :D

{Candace, Texas, USA)
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

I've never been a tattoo person but even before reading this thread I had though about getting a very small tattoo to commemorate my walk, like a scallop shell. Or maybe the scallop shell and cross. Most likely on my ankle. The only place I can think of that isn't sagging or won't sag too much over the next 20 years. :D

€60,-
I love this thread! There are some awesome tattoos - good on you.
Like has been said - if you don't like 'em - don't look! If you do like them and you want a permanent reminder of your Camino, then go for it. I have long wanted a circlet of flowers and ivy around my wrist, with maybe a ladybird or two, and thought it could look like a bracelet if I had two scallop shells making a 'catch' on my wrist. This would represent my husband and I travelling our Camino together. But he hates tattoos! So I may have it done for my 50th birthday. I already have 5 mostly rather small and discrete. The main thing is to be sure you like what you have done - they will be there forever!
Saying that, perhaps my favourite sellos, or those arrows looked pretty good...(only 3 years left to make up my mind!)

hecate105 said:
I love this thread! There are some awesome tattoos - good on you.
Like has been said - if you don't like 'em - don't look! If you do like them and you want a permanent reminder of your Camino, then go for it. I have long wanted a circlet of flowers and ivy around my wrist, with maybe a ladybird or two, and thought it could look like a bracelet if I had two scallop shells making a 'catch' on my wrist. This would represent my husband and I travelling our Camino together. But he hates tattoos! So I may have it done for my 50th birthday. I already have 5 mostly rather small and discrete. The main thing is to be sure you like what you have done - they will be there forever!
Saying that, perhaps my favourite sellos, or those arrows looked pretty good...(only 3 years left to make up my mind!)

I love this thread. Yep, I did one (descrete) just on my front hip of a small scallop shell. I did this on my 49th birthday and don't regret it at all. It's a constant reminder of my pilgrimage and for this I'm walking in 10 days from now.

What a great discussion! I have tattoos and I plan on getting another one or two or three (hahaha) after my first Camino, but I will probably wait a few weeks after to let the body settle down...I imagine the body goes through some rowdy changes while walking and i think to let your body re calibrate before you pierce it with ink is a good idea, I'm no professional just me. Another thing for newbie tattooies, is that don't rush into it,...don't just walk in to a shop and say you want this and that....get to know the artist and look at his portfolio you want to make sure he can do the job, most probably can, but getting to know the artist is a part of the experience...and if he/she recommends changing a thing or two, they are probably right since they do it for a living and know what looks good and what will age well. As far as other peoples opinion about my tattoos, well I got them for me not so other people can look at them.People are intrigued by tattoos whether they have one or not, just make sure its you on your skin, not another influence(except artist, because the artist style and influence is always in their ink) I know one day I will be old and wrinkly and so will my ink, but a lot of stuff happens when you get old,plus a lot of other things I would be more concerned with that will get wrinkly with age...hahaha This is my skin i like tattoos, I like that the skin can be turned into a canvas.... i received my first tattoo on my R arm at a friends house when I was 15 years old, I will never cover it up, and I will never regret it. I also two large ones on my forearms and another on my L arm. When I go to interviews I do not cover them up I let my professional experience speak for itself, and if they don't hire me because of my tattoos then I don't want to work there anyways...Tattoos are not for everyone, but to me they are priceless...in the words of Davy Crockett..." Make sure your right, then go ahead." Buen Camino everyone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We had a raucous and profane dinner discussion in Santiago Friday on what and where to tattoo. After it turned to removing them in later life, no one was actually going to get one.

One man thought he might get a nipple ring instead. He could remove it when he got tired of it...

€46,-
falcon269 said:
One man thought he might get a nipple ring instead. He could remove it when he got tired of it...

Where's the camino connection with that? :D

A ring with a shell :)

I have the cross of st James on my inner right wrist,
I love it .....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1373188890.500948.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1373188890.500948.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,886
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Trying to get my head around the concept of having a tattoo to remind me of walking 500 miles

It's unforgettable isn't it

Maybe if I want people to ask me what it means and then I can become a camino bore

Or, maybe when I get Alzheimer's I suppose

Dax

I completed my Way to the tomb of St James last month. I understand that people do camino`s for their own unique reasons and having reached Finisterre I decided to get a cross tatoo, similar to the one posted by `Yarma` on my leg. Only caminoers or people with a pilgimmage interest would know what it represents. Its fairly innocuous otherwise. I also took about 1500 pictures, wrote some words and took 4 contacts of people I met. All memories of a difficult but not unpleasant pilgrimage. I`m very happy with my tatoo and I understand its significance even if some cannot. :D

image.jpg Got this in July, 8 months after returning from my Camino. My rule with tattoos (at least in the last few years) is if I still want it 6 months after thinking about it, then I will go ahead with it.
I love this tattoo- and also being able to tell people about it if they ask.
Unfortunately I went to someone who was not my regular artist to get this, and it definitely needs touching up- as you can see one blue outline side is thicker than another..... but besides that I do love it ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got a pre-camino tattoo (see my profile picture). After 3 years of preparation my husband and I are walking from SJPP on May 1!

I recently got one after finishing my Camino in June. I used the design from La Rioja, which I thought was one of the nicer of the designs of the shell. I decided to get it on my foot--most obviously because it seemed fitting since it was a walking pilgrimage, but also because it was easily hide-able from future employers (and my parents), not to mention a body part that wouldn't get too wrinkly when I get older.
If anyone's curious to see how it turned out, here's a picture (notice the still-visible sock tan that is a familiar site for us pilgrims...): http://www.unc.edu/~ewilde/tat/DSC07073.JPG
That's a lovely tattoo.

What a great discussion. I have many tattoos. I suppose there is always room for one more. This discussion just reminded me of a line from a poem by Antonio Machado. Perhaps I'll get that with the Cross of St. James in Spanish of course:
Caminante, no hay camino, Se hace camino al andar... I know what it means. I'll let you figure it out.

€83,-
View attachment 7712 Got this in July, 8 months after returning from my Camino. My rule with tattoos (at least in the last few years) is if I still want it 6 months after thinking about it, then I will go ahead with it.
I love this tattoo- and also being able to tell people about it if they ask.
Unfortunately I went to someone who was not my regular artist to get this, and it definitely needs touching up- as you can see one blue outline side is thicker than another..... but besides that I do love it ;)
I love this tattoo!

I have two tattoos both 20-25 years old and the quality of both is still very good even after all these years.

One is in the process of being lasered off (ex wifes name) but the other I will be keeping.

I may well add a camino related tattoo on returning, definately food for thought.

i also got a camino tattoo, it covers my lower left arm and it means alot to me :).
it tells my life before and after the camino

Last edited:
I had the Camino shell and the cross tattooed on my left calf. I wanted a ghost-like image of Santiago behind the shell, but the pain was enough for one sitting. I haven't gone back but plan to do so at some point. I had this tattoo done after my first Camino, and I'm going to be heading out for the 4th time next August.

Attachments

• tattoo.jpg
    tattoo.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 55
IMAG3723.jpg

Done in Dublin in July 2014 4 weeks after finishing my 3rd camino, centre of my back as my work bosses would look askance at readily visible tattoos but the location has the benefit of being protected from sun damage.

Yes ! We arrived by chance the day before my birthday thus year (May 20th) . I had secretly wondered about a tattoo to remind me of the joy of the "way" ! I originally wanted just a small shell under my left arm-pit, but we met a Padre and he showed me his magnificent "Cross of St. James" he had had done in Singapore! So then I wondered if these could be combined ! Of course they could and I found a picture to take into the parlour. My wife was a little surprised as I have never had one before but fully supported me and loved the finished "Ink" . The result............. The best reminder EVER of the best time EVER I have spent!! Not easy, not pain-free but so very worth it.

Attachments

• INK.jpg
    INK.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 47
I might paint a yellow arrow on my left big toe nail, but needles start me clucking like a ………………...:rolleyes:

I already have a few tattoos and am thinking about getting another of a scallop shell on my right foot.

Yes ! We arrived by chance the day before my birthday thus year (May 20th) . I had secretly wondered about a tattoo to remind me of the joy of the "way" ! I originally wanted just a small shell under my left arm-pit, but we met a Padre and he showed me his magnificent "Cross of St. James" he had had done in Singapore! So then I wondered if these could be combined ! Of course they could and I found a picture to take into the parlour. My wife was a little surprised as I have never had one before but fully supported me and loved the finished "Ink" . The result............. The best reminder EVER of the best time EVER I have spent!! Not easy, not pain-free but so very worth it.

I 've been looking for a good design and this might fit the ticket! Now all that is left is just to convince "she who must be obeyed" that this is in fact a good idea.

My 2¢- make sure whatever you get is well thought out. I have not gotten a new tattoo in over 20 years, and my first was 25+ years ago. The only one I regret is the one I had done on a whim. The work still looks good, but the design is meaningless.

One thing to be aware of before you get that "Cruz Espada" (cross/sword of Santiago) tattoo: that symbol was co-opted for a long time by Franco and the Falange fascists in Spain to legitimize their policies. (The generalissimo considered himself a christian crusader and was fond of likening himself to Santiago Matamoros!)

Thank you for this information Rebekah. If I were to ever get another, the Camino would likely be a major influence. I do like the design of the cross, so if I do incorporate it I'll have to make sure it's not the prominent part of the design. When one considers how recent the Spanish Civil War was compared to the American, and what an impact the Confederate battle flag still makes here, it's easy to see how that could stir up issues within Spain. Probably not a big deal for those only travel to Spain to walk the camino and never return (Similar to a Canadian man I know with a Confederate tattoo). But for those of us likely to return it is an important consideration, especially as you move further away from the tourist spots.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My profile picture

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.