• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post-Camino: Where can I get Spanish food in Australia?!

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
Real jamon. Does anyone sell jamon from Guijelo? I know our import laws are very strict regarding smallgoods.

And orujo. Cracka wines have some hierbas but I'm looking at about $80 for a 10 Euro bottle. I did post a couple of bottles to myself from Santiago but that isn't exactly cheap and there is no guarantee of it getting through Customs. And the idea of Border Force supping on my digestif...no way!

Or does someone know of a good Spanish restaurant where I can get my fix if I am passing through?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Real jamon. Does anyone sell jamon from Guijelo? I know our import laws are very strict regarding smallgoods.

And orujo. Cracka wines have some hierbas but I'm looking at about $80 for a 10 Euro bottle. I did post a couple of bottles to myself from Santiago but that isn't exactly cheap and there is no guarantee of it getting through Customs. And the idea of Border Force supping on my digestif...no way!

Or does someone know of a good Spanish restaurant where I can get my fix if I am passing through?
I'm not certain of what they sell, alcohol wise, but in Brisbane there's a restaurant 'chain' called Olé (one is in South Bank).
I'm a member of Meetup (Google it: you just register you're email for notifications of what's on in town) and once a month there's a Camino Meetup for those who've walked or interested in the Camino. Just gold coin donation to attend. You order your own food and drinks and enjoy the information sharing and friendship. We also have a monthly walking Meetup and there are other groups of other interests.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Carrasco Guijuelo (http://carrascoguijuelo.eu) exports to Australia. I'm not sure if they export jamón but I'm pretty sure they export paletilla... Anyway, you may ask them where you can find their products in Australia (and if jamón is included among them).

And orujo.

It seems Galician orujo isn't exported to Australia yet. www.ardan.es/exportacion/index.php can be an useful web to look where are exported different Galician products.

Getting genuine Spanish raised & prepared jamon may be difficult although not unheard of. As for Spanish vino Tinto or blanco try your local Dan Murphy, they usually some good Spanish Reds and even Spanish beers. Good luck

In Sydney there's a restaurant called En Casa, pretty close to the "real" Spanish food. For Spanish wines and liquors, there's a liquor store in Bondi Road that sell products from all over the world, including a spanish wine selection.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Aldi and Lidl are selling GENUINE Jamon, I mean with knife and cutting block and all, in Ireland, for crying out loud! Maybe you might have to wait, but hang on, it will happen. On the other hand: why not leave what is Spanish till you are in Spain? Everything is best in its own environment... but ok, all the best for your hunting! Good luck.

Singapore's Changi Airport has a tapas restaurant in the new Jewel terminal and it's real Spanish food. A few of the staff are Spanish too so it can be your first/last chance to order a meal in Spanish arriving from/returning to Australia.

one of the best and fanciest restaurants in Canberra is BlackFire. They only do mediterranean food and have amazing croquetas de jamon and also charcutery platters with real jamon serrano, iberico and york. Also a divine tempranillo on the wine menu. A bit pricey though.

Every now and then I see real Spanish Jamon sliced at Woolies. Not the same thing as getting it in Spain, but helps with the cravings!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.