• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post-Camino Withdrawal Syndrome

Daretolive

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino del Norte, Camino Finisterre, English Pilgrims Way to Canterbury
Hola Peregrinos!

I have just finished my Camino (Frances followed by Norte finished off with Finisterre.. Just under 3 months and 1700km in total. Yes, I was fortunate to have the time..!)

Now I find myself somewhat influenced by it. Waking up at 6am, spotting yellow paint and scallop shells everywhere and being on a constant lookout for 'chinche' are just some noticable 'side effects' :)

Not to mention being back to civilisation! And I'm still visiting friends in a big-ish city of 'only' 300,000 people. I don't even want to think what will happen when I'm back home in London :eek:

Where are my yellow arrows??? ;)

I am aware my Camino was unusually long but perhaps anyone else experienced similar 'symptomps'? Or have I totally left my mind in Santiago?

Warm post-camino hugs to all!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola Peregrinos!

I have just finished my Camino (Frances followed by Norte finished off with Finisterre.. Just under 3 months and 1700km in total. Yes, I was fortunate to have the time..!)

Now I find myself somewhat influenced by it. Waking up at 6am, spotting yellow paint and scallop shells everywhere and being on a constant lookout for 'chinche' are just some noticable 'side effects' :)

Not to mention being back to civilisation! And I'm still visiting friends in a big-ish city of 'only' 300,000 people. I don't even want to think what will happen when I'm back home in London :eek:

I am aware my Camino was unusually long but perhaps anyone else experienced similar 'symptomps'? Or have I totally left my mind in Santiago?

Great avatar.........second camino coming up for you I see...I have sent you the details of a London specific meet up group......could be good for you to contribute for those who are considering going....they go for walks and have meets etc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Peregrinos!

Wow what a journey. No wonder you are feeling as you do. We finished our Camino 2015 the end of July and for weeks I felt so so unsettled and just wanted to walk out the door and start it all over again! In the meantime, I have somewhat calmed down a bit but as you can see from my posts I can't resist checking the forum every day. Yes, it's a bit of an obsession and yes I have a few yellow arrows on the walls on the many magnets I brought home with me. The one on the outside of the front door points outwards!! Our dining room wall has plaques from all the caminos we have walked and I have framed a few pilgrim passports and competelas. I am already in talks with our 4 year old grandsons about walking the Camino with me when they reach the age of 9! Does all this sound a bit sad or am I suffering badly from withdrawal symptoms? Who knows, but I really miss everything about the Camino frances and know that it won't be too long until I get going again and so will you. Bring home a few Camino souvenirs and put them on your walls and you will get that warm feeling and joy that you experienced when you walked your camino. Your Camino detox will come in time but it will be tough! Best wishes.

:)Why do you think we are here on the forum all the time, many of us?
Here, other people 'get it,' and we can yammer on about the Camino endlessly.:confused:

Totally resonate with your post @Daretolive....and as Annette just said, detox is not easy, but it comes.
Two universals of any Camino seem to be the angst beforehand and the withdrawal afterwards. A bit ironic, that.

Been there, done that. But I think rare are those for whom the Camino has been a trigger for a radical change. It'll most likely pass, but you may still react to situations with more calm, compasion, empathy, generosity. Right now you may feel you have seen the light, but the rat race will soon catch up to you. After all you want to make a decent living to feed children, or take care of your parents, or what have you. The Camino doesn't have to lead to a 180 degree change, simple tweeking is also good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm very sorry for you, but there are the bad news:
You have been bitten (may be a bed bug?):confused:.
You are infected:eek:.
There is no known cure today (but keep hope:().
You are contagious :oops:.

Now some good news:
Planning the next one will keep the symptoms to a minimum o_O
Those you will contaminate rarely complain:D.
Even smilingly starring at yellow arrows will not send you to the next psychiatric hospital :)

So, let it go for 2016 (or later) and keep coming to the forum to discuss how to reduce your (next) backpack weight!

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Hola Peregrinos!

I call this addiction Caminoitis,and it seems it is incurable.The number of sufferers keeps going up and it has spread worldwide.The strange thing is it does not require physical contact to become infected,simply reading about it,seeing a film/tv documentary ,or even hearing of someone you know who has been on Camino can give the initial dose,and once you accept you have Caminoitis and go on Camino then you are afflicted for life.You will come back and get your fix here on the forum.When I awake each morning the first thing I do is reach for Mr Tablet to catch up on forum news.I am a lost cause,I admit it,but I love it.You'll be back!!!!!.

My personal theory is that walking the Camino all of us feel a kind of security inside because we have this feeling in our DNA from our ancestors who had to migrate to find new places to hunt or escape from enemies , plagues or famine.
Staying at home all of us feel insecurity inside and always have different fears no matter you live in a fantastic city like London or wherever

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
These are the comments that keep those of us that have not walk the Camino yet hook as well, is not hard to visualize how a simple existing is possible. Just put everything you own (Camino possessions) in a backpack and walk, leave all the daily stresses behind for as long as the Camino takes.
Buen Camino

I start my first Camino in 5 days, so I am no expert here. I will say that I've the experience of a year in Vietnam and a summer in Honduras. When I got home, I experienced some of the same symptoms described here and I understand the phenomenon as "culture shock."

A week ago last Sunday my wife, son, and I arrived in Santiago de Compostella after a week on the Camino, having started our pilgrimage in Sarria. A short pilgrimage compared to many on this forum, but long enough to learn a lesson or two. Here is what I wrote the next day:
Our Camino, reflections on the day after
Our Camino has ended. We celebrated with a nice dinner last night. We got to sleep in this morning. No shouldering the backpack, grasping the trekking poles, and hitting the trail this morning. As nice as it is to get some rest this morning, I'm missing the Camino already. But as Silvia pointed out at dinner last night, all pilgrimages must come to an end. The point of a pilgrimage is not the journey, but the destination. However, the journey prepares us for the destination. On the Camino, I learned to pray as never before, especially the rosary. When I received the Eucharist yesterday at the Pilgrim Mass, I felt the presence of Christ in me as never before. Yes, I shall miss the Camino de Santiago. Last night as I was lying in bed waiting to go to sleep, I had the strange sensation that I was still walking. It was similar to that feeing one gets after a day at beach, of still floating. I felt it again when I woke up this morning. I have reached the end of my Camino de Santiago, and a beautiful end it was. I will carry the Camino de Santiago in my heart for rest of my earthly life. My Camino here on earth goes on. I pray that I may walk it so that it ends in the glory of the Heavenly Jerusalem.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola Peregrinos!

Don´t we all know it,
my waking up hours have forever changed.
Count yourself lucky that from now on you cannot resist the urge to take a long walk... because you can ....!!!

A week ago last Sunday my wife, son, and I arrived in Santiago de Compostella after a week on the Camino, having started our pilgrimage in Sarria. A short pilgrimage compared to many on this forum, but long enough to learn a lesson or two. Here is what I wrote the next day:
Our Camino has ended. We celebrated with a nice dinner last night. We got to sleep in this morning. No shouldering the backpack, grasping the trekking poles, and hitting the trail this morning. As nice as it is to get some rest this morning, I'm missing the Camino already. But as Silvia pointed out at dinner last night, all pilgrimages must come to an end. The point of a pilgrimage is not the journey, but the destination. However, the journey prepares us for the destination. On the Camino, I learned to pray as never before, especially the rosary. When I received the Eucharist yesterday at the Pilgrim Mass, I felt the presence of Christ in me as never before. Yes, I shall miss the Camino de Santiago. Last night as I was lying in bed waiting to go to sleep, I had the strange sensation that I was still walking. It was similar to that feeing one gets after a day at beach, of still floating. I felt it again when I woke up this morning. I have reached the end of my Camino de Santiago, and a beautiful end it was. I will carry the Camino de Santiago in my heart for rest of my earthly life. My Camino here on earth goes on. I pray that I may walk it so that it ends in the glory of the Heavenly Jerusalem.
What a lovely post @Mike1953 . Buen camino as you go on through life.

First of all I'd like to apologyze because my post doesn´t have anyhing to do with the subject of this thread but looking at Crosses of Santiago on Mike 1953 and Philip a Tobin pics I couldn´t help to introduce football team Celta de Vigo that also has a Cross of Santiago on its shirt. I´m happy because I´m a Celta follower and last Sunday beat Barcelona 4-1 :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I found myself longing for yellow arrows and shells after returning from my second Camino about a month ago. The solution? A bit of yellow paint, a small brush, an unsightly slab of rock at the end of my driveway, and...Voilà! The Camino comes to St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. It helps. :D
thumb_IMG_5656_1024.jpg

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_5656_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_5656_1024.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 6
Great avatar.........second camino coming up for you I see...I have sent you the details of a London specific meet up group......could be good for you to contribute for those who are considering going....they go for walks and have meets etc

Will pop in to the meeting thanks for the info!

My personal theory is that walking the Camino all of us feel a kind of security inside because we have this feeling in our DNA from our ancestors who had to migrate to find new places to hunt or escape from enemies , plagues or famine.
Staying at home all of us feel insecurity inside and always have different fears no matter you live in a fantastic city like London or wherever

Couldn't agree more!

I found myself longing for yellow arrows and shells after returning from my second Camino about a month ago. The solution? A bit of yellow paint, a small brush, an unsightly slab of rock at the end of my driveway, and...Voilà! The Camino comes to St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. It helps. :D
View attachment 21368

Brilliant :D I see a trip to a DIY store coming up this weekend ;)

Now some good news:
Even smilingly starring at yellow arrows will not send you to the next psychiatric hospital :)

So, let it go for 2016 (or later) and keep coming to the forum to discuss how to reduce your (next) backpack weight!

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Hi Jacques, You are so right :) I've already contaminated a handful and no, I don't feel guilty :p

As for my backpack, I became so accustomed to having it on my back that it feels weird now carrying my handbag 'only', even though an average London handbag looks like a small carry-on luggage :D

(maybe that's why I never complained about my 'mochila' in the first place :p )

@Mike1953 beautiful words.. 'The journey prepares us for the destination' indeed... "Buen camino"!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just wrapping up fifth walk and will fly home from Geneva tomorrow. Every walk has had a similar trajectory: a time of transition into the "pilgrim mind", a long time dwelling in the "pilgrim mind", and a time of transition out of the "pilgrim mind". And it is rather more than culture shock. I would describe it as a change in how one apprehends oneself, one's place in the world, and one's relationship with the Divine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for this post. I just came back from camino,I was able to walk the halfway (due to limitited days of vacation),hope to finish camino next year :) And I have some struggles to be back at home.I think that our camino didn't end,we just have to walk our daily camino of life and try to implement that what we have experienced on Camino to daily life,at least to try.

Mountaingoat, do you happen to know of any Sacramento CA Camino meet up groups?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi dee bright.

I am in London UK...right now..was in SF two years ago for 3 months anyway check this sight out below

American Pilgrims Northern California Chapter
www.americanpilgrims.com/about/local_northern_california.html
The regional chapter for Northern California, centered on the San Francisco Bay ... the region between Carmel and Sacramento, was established in January 2011. ... connected to the Camino and to introduce new people to the phenomenon. ... NorCal chapter co-coordinator Lin Galea will meet walk participants between ..

Hi dee bright.

I am in London UK...right now..was in SF two years ago for 3 months anyway check this sight out below

American Pilgrims Northern California Chapter
www.americanpilgrims.com/about/local_northern_california.html
The regional chapter for Northern California, centered on the San Francisco Bay ... the region between Carmel and Sacramento, was established in January 2011. ... connected to the Camino and to introduce new people to the phenomenon. ... NorCal chapter co-coordinator Lin Galea will meet walk participants between ..

Wonderful! Thanks so much!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Now some good news:

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
exactly! :-D

View attachment 21368
What a fantastic idea !!!!! I'm looking for rocks now !!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We have a shell tile at the front door, and the sheep's bell (genuine) hangs in the kitchen. Sights and sounds :)

Attachments

• cow bell and shell.jpg
    cow bell and shell.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 5
Hola Peregrinos!

I started out on the camino ingles on August 28th , first time doing anything like that ... When i returned to Cardiff it took me ages to get back to the normal routine .being a Sunday today i would have been arriving at the Albergue at 4.30pm in Betanzos etc ... now thinking of doing the Camino from Porto in the spring ...It certainly had an affect on me that i must return ...

Hola Peregrinos!

Hi There
I cannot imagine how you must feel. My husband and myself could only do 1 week from SJPDP to Pamplona. I experienced the symptoms you are talking about. I still ponder on the wonderful moments on the mountain. I definately want to finish this adventure/experience!

First of all I'd like to apologyze because my post doesn´t have anyhing to do with the subject of this thread but looking at Crosses of Santiago on Mike 1953 and Philip a Tobin pics I couldn´t help to introduce football team Celta de Vigo that also has a Cross of Santiago on its shirt. I´m happy because I´m a Celta follower and last Sunday beat Barcelona 4-1 :)
like you,slightly off post,but my avatar is taken from a painting a young friend did for me when I came home from Camino.I worked in the same place as this young man before I retired,and he did it as a surprise from workmates for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All,
This thread was just what I needed to read - I am not alone! In an attempt to carry on the peace and wholeness I felt on the Camino last summer, I am embarking on a 12-week quest to “walk” the Camino in my daily life through a series of Camino practices (if interested, see http://myloveoflearning.com/2015/10/walking-the-way-at-home/ ) My goal for the next week is to "every day, just get up and keep walking." I would love to hear how you are all doing after walking The Way and how you are using what you learned on the path in your own life.

- Mary Anne

there was a group of us meeting up late july for a weekend - in the high sierras near lake tahoe/NV. People from LA, Bay Area, etc attended ...
marvelous time -
don't know about Sacramento meet-up's.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 21368
photo.JPG photo 1.jpg even the cafe' 'obeyed' :)

It totally depends on you, mate -- whether you feel as though it's finished, or if there's something still left to do

For those who feel it's finished, other walks exist, other goals, life, work, husband/wife and family, and everything.

For the others, well, the only possible cure is walking back home to finish it, but if that doesn't work, well, then your only solution will be inside or nowhere.

Hi,Daretolive and All
Thank you for your post.Because I have same symptom as you.
I walked Camino in 2010,so it's already 5 years ago.But still I miss Camino days.
(And I'm still struggling that symptom...:eek:)
I know to plan another Camino is one of the solution, but I think about job and money,it's difficult for me to take long days off to walk Camino often.

Anyway so since I came home,I've been trying to live daily life as if I'm walking on Camino.
(Unfortunately it's not so easy...)
For me,Camino is like a dream world.
Simple life,meet with nice people from all over the world.(we have different back ground,nationality age,language,but we talk together and laugh a lot! and we share limited food,sticking plaster but there is (almost) no fetters.)

Well,what I want to say,is you are not alone!
(And I also can feel I'm not alone.So thanks to Daretolive and All...!)

Buen Camino! Buen life!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,Daretolive and All
Thank you for your post.Because I have same symptom as you.
I walked Camino in 2010,so it's already 5 years ago.But still I miss Camino days.
(And I'm still struggling that symptom...:eek:)
I know to plan another Camino is one of the solution, but I think about job and money,it's difficult for me to take long days off to walk Camino often.

Anyway so since I came home,I've been trying to live daily life as if I'm walking on Camino.
(Unfortunately it's not so easy...)
For me,Camino is like a dream world.
Simple life,meet with nice people from all over the world.(we have different back ground,nationality age,language,but we talk together and laugh a lot! and we share limited food,sticking plaster but there is (almost) no fetters.)

Well,what I want to say,is you are not alone!
(And I also can feel I'm not alone.So thanks to Daretolive and All...!)

Buen Camino! Buen life!
No you're definitely not alone :) and isn't the simple and limited food just the best at times? :D hugs from London!!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.