• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post office in Roncevalles?

Tim and Paula

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2019)
Hello--It's my first time on this forum so please forgive me if I screw up. My wife and I are walking the Camino Frances beginning early September and would like to mail a suitcase to Santiago from Roncevalles. Does anyone know if there is a post office in Roncevalles(our starting point) and it's hours? Any information would be gratefully received.
Thanks!

Tim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It may be cheaper to take a taxi to Saint Jean Pied de Port and ship your suitcase from there. There is a service just down the street from the Pilgrim Office that will send it to Santiago where it will be stored until you get there. Also, SJPdP has a lot more to see and do than Roncesvalles, so you might enjoy spending a few hours there before returning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It has often been recommended on the forum to not post anything to Spain from another country's government post office. Express Bourricot is highly recommended.

I think Roncevalles is too small for a post office.

How are you getting to Roncevalles anyway? Knowing might help get other suggestions.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This may help. View in the Chrome browser for translation. I had trouble zooming on the map with my smartphone but it may work better with something bigger.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It has often been recommended on the forum to not post anything to Spain from another country's government post office. Express Bourricot is highly recommended.

I think Roncevalles is too small for a post office.

How are you getting to Roncevalles anyway? Knowing might help get other suggestions.

Hi Rick. Train from Barcelona to Pamplona, then bus to Roncevalles. I suppose we could mail the suitcase from Pamplona, since there's a two or three hour wait from Train arrival to Bus departure. If Roncevalles is too small for a post office and the post office in SJPDP closes before we'd be able to taxi there late afternoon on September 4, that might be an easy solution. We were/are planning on mailing the bag to Casa Ivar in Santiago.

Tim
PS--Thanks for the response!

There are two post offices in Pamplona that would be handy. One is not far from the train station (and is also near a Decathlon in case you want to pick something up). There is a nearby street bus that you can take too although it isn't a long walk. The other is about the same distance away from bus station towards the bull ring but (memory tells me the street bus isn't as convenient).

You will likely need to get a number in the PO (like in a deli) to get service. There may be a queue for stamps and little services and another queue for packages.

Correos has a discounted service for pilgrims but the bag must go to the PO in SdC for that and then there are charges after some period of free storage. To Ivar you would pay regular postage but have more convenience in pickup.

Pamplona's street bus website is a wonder. A bit tricky but very informative. It almost will tell you what the name of your bus driver is going to be. The site is not in English though.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Rick.
Thanks again for the info. Sounds like Pamplona will be a business stop, at least on the way to Roncevalles. We're both getting excited about the Camino and if everyone is as helpful and kind as yourself, we're in for a lovely time.

Thanks again,
Tim and Paula
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Having researched this earlier this year, Burguete was the closest and the hours were very limited. Pamplona has a ton and I ended up having something sent to one of the post offices close to the Plaza del Castillo and picked it up when I arrived a few days later. Correos will hold packages for a couple/few weeks but you need to research the offices.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are starting from SJPdP use Express Bourricot. They are not cheap, but they are reliable and secure. Plus, you can get a discount if you stay at the hostal / albergue La Salle at Santiago, where they store your luggage in a locked room pending your arrival.

If starting from Roncesvalles, you could use daily luggage transfer (mochila transport) to move your bag(s) to Pamplona. Once at Pamplona, use the Correos parcel shipping option to ship your stuff to Santiago.

You can either ship it to Ivar, who will hold it for your arrival at nominal cost, OR send an email to the hotel you have already reserved at Santiago. You MUST book a bed at Santiago in advance. Even in early May this year, I saw "completo" signs all over town even even on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

This is not an insurmountable problem. Many of us ship items ahead. This is either surplus to needs stuff, or non-Camino items we want available on our arrival.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was looking for a post office and the little town after Roncesvalles, Burguette, has a post office with limited hours. Perhaps someone on the forum can check its opening hours and whether you can ship a suitcase from ther
Having researched this earlier this year, Burguete was the closest and the hours were very limited. Pamplona has a ton and I ended up having something sent to one of the post offices close to the Plaza del Castillo and picked it up when I arrived a few days later. Correos will hold packages for a couple/few weeks but you need to research the offices.
I was in a similar situation, but mindful the post office in Pamplona closes around 2pm. I had to walk to Puente de Reina to send my parcel to Santiago.

I was looking for a post office and the little town after Roncesvalles, Burguette, has a post office with limited hours. Perhaps someone on the forum can check its opening hours and whether you can ship a suitcase from ther

I was in a similar situation, but mindful the post office in Pamplona closes around 2pm. I had to walk to Puente de Reina to send my parcel to Santiago.
As mentioned above post offices locations (and hours) can be found through the webpage http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/...iza_busca_encuentra/detalle_app-sidioma=es_ES

Use the map or type in the city. For Burgette the hours are:
Horarios de Apertura
Laborables
DE 08:00 A 09:30 Y DE 16:30 A 19:30
Sábados
DE 16:30 A 19:30
Domingos y festivos
SIN SERVICIO

But really if you are passing through Pamplona with time to kill anyway why not ship from there?

Thanks, Rick! Wow--lots of helpful suggestions. I think our best plan is to send it from Pamplona on our way to Roncevalles, time to kill, good opportunity. Then we can enjoy Pamplona a few days later when we're headed in the right direction. We've got the post office located and will stop there on our way to the bus station.
Gracias y Buen Camino
Tim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That is what I would do. When at Pamplona, go to the Cafe Iruna and say hello to my buddy, Ernesto...he's at the bar...as always...

There are several in Pamplona and many stay open well into the evening on weekdays. The office that I went to off of the Plaza del Castillo is open until 2030 weekdays. It is about a 5 minute walk from Cafe Iruña that t2andreo speaks of.

According to Correos the only office in Puente la Reina has limited hours, closing at 1430 weekdays. D6B17A01-1B75-4156-B68C-EEAABA0F306D.jpeg

The Correos website or even Google will give very good information on offices in towns or cities. My experience is the smaller the town, the less the hours and some may not have one at all.

I used the Correos in Burguete, 2.5 kms from Roncesvalles, to post extra luggage ahead to Santiago last year. The post office in Santiago offers a luggage storage service, and you can specify how long it needs to store it for you, up to 75 days, giving you plenty of time to complete your camino.

The opening times, on their website:

Open Monday to Saturday from 8:30 to 9:30 and from 16:30 to 19:30 to April 1st until October 31st.
Rest of the year: Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 9:30

For more info: https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/transfer-luggage

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back