• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Restant in Santiago and other cities

Hi Folks...

Good day to you all.

A question about post restant in Santiago and other places enroute:

The first time I mailed a box of extra stuff to Santiago, I was told that the box could sit there for 30 days until I collected it. And so it turned out: The box was indeed waiting there when I arrived 3-4 weeks later.

A few years later I tried to do the same thing with the post office in Irun. Thinking to start the C.d. N from there, I sent my camino kit on ahead about 3 - 4 weeks before I was due to start. However, when I got there, it was long gone. The folks in the post office said they could only keep stuff for 15 days. (Fortunately there is a big Decathalon store in Irun and I was able to replace everything in one morning.)

Does anyone know what the current situation with post restant is now? Is it 30 days for Santiago, and 15 days elsewhere..? Has it changed recently? Considering the numbers of pilgrims around these days, I could see how the post office may have decided to reduce the holding period.

Many thanks for your insite and advice.

WF

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Folks...

Good day to you all.

A question about post restant in Santiago and other places enroute:

The first time I mailed a box of extra stuff to Santiago, I was told that the box could sit there for 30 days until I collected it. And so it turned out: The box was indeed waiting there when I arrived 3-4 weeks later.

A few years later I tried to do the same thing with the post office in Irun. Thinking to start the C.d. N from there, I sent my camino kit on ahead about 3 - 4 weeks before I was due to start. However, when I got there, it was long gone. The folks in the post office said they could only keep stuff for 15 days. (Fortunately there is a big Decathalon store in Irun and I was able to replace everything in one morning.)

Does anyone know what the current situation with post restant is now? Is it 30 days for Santiago, and 15 days elsewhere..? Has it changed recently? Considering the numbers of pilgrims around these days, I could see how the post office may have decided to reduce the holding period.

Many thanks for your insite and advice.

WF
When I asked in Correos they told me it would wait two weeks, maybe a day or two longer, depends on weekends in between. I think Saturdays also counted as working days but Sundays not. Every year my mom send me three or four boxes to a place I calculated depending on my walking stages and never had any problems with 2 weeks time-frame.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Two weeks is standard, 30 days in Santiago. When I sent something to Santiago from Canada, I added the date the person collecting the parcel would be there, in case the 30 days were up before he showed up, hoping for a bit of kindness from the staff.

This being said, Correos has a new service. But I get the feeling you have to mail from within Spain. 15 first days your things wait for free, after that it's 1€ per day. So great if you land in Madrid for example and want to do a bit of site seeing and catch up with your Camino gear after that.

http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/envio-maletas.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I knew enough to send to Ivar. It would have saved me a bit of worry. In 2015, 10 days into the camino I sent myself a package to general delivery in Santiago with Correos knowing I was a pilgrim. I think I had 30 days to pick it up. I picked it up 48 days later (there were a few incidents that slowed us down.) But I checked with local post offices along the way for them to check with Santiago and kept them notified of when we were expecting to complete the camino. BTW, I didn't run into any English speakers at the various post offices. I found it easier talking face to face with rusty Spanish in the local post offices than over a phone to Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back