• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Post restante in Spain?

windeatt

I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find an answer this morning.

Does anyone know if you can you send parcels post restante to Spain from outside (i.e. England). I am sure I looked this up last year and printed something out from the Spanish Post Office site . . . but this year I have just searched through the site in both Spanish and English and can't find anything at all about "Lista de Correos".

We need to send something on to our daughter who is currently on the camino - not to Santiago but along the way.

Windy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Windy

Just enter the word Lista in the search function and up will come the previous postings.

The following article might also be helpful:

Spain - Tourist Information - Post Offices in Spain

Though renowned for slow delivery the Correo or Spanish post office vastly improved over the past years. Post Offices are open from 8.30 am to 2 pm and depending on the size of the town may be open also in the afternoon.

You can buy stamps in tobacconists (estancos) as well as at the Post office and often this can be more convenient than going to the Post Office. Letterboxes are yellow and outside Post Offices you will find specific boxes for local, national and international letters. Parcels must be posted from inside the Post Office but many tobacconists can weigh your parcels and sell the correct postage.

Airmail is the most efficient way to send letters overseas, however for large items that you do not need in a hurry surface mail is a cheap and reliable way to get your goodies home. The main proviso is that this service takes a long time: one to three months to North America, and two to four months to the South Pacific.

Mail can be received at the Spanish Post Offices and Poste Restante letters should be addressed Lista de Correos, followed by the post code, town and province. When collecting registered or certified mail you are required to show some form of identification such as a passport.

Aside from postage services Correos offers services such as fax and email though this depends on the size of the town and the Post Office.

http://www.spainby.com/tourist_informat ... ffices.htm

To find the address of the Post Office to which you want to send something:

http://www.correos.es/comun/oficinasbuz ... nicial.asp

Good luck

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You can post packages ahead to yourself. Write on the parcel “Peregrino” and also your expected date of arrival. You will have to show your passport or ID when you collect your parcel so write your name on the package as it appears in your document.

EG: To Santiago

Jones M. A.
Lista de Correos
15780 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña

You can also get letters from home. For France, have people write to you Poste Restante, in Spain Lista de Correos. In each case, they should put your surname first, in capitals. When you go to collect mail, take your passport as ID; and to be sure, ask them to check under your first name as well as your surname.

Here's a list of places along the le Puy route and the Camino Francés, with postal codes, 2 or three days apart.

Poste Restante Lista de Correos
43000 le Puy-en-Velay 31080 Pamplona (Navarra)
48120 St Alban-sur Limagnole 31100 Puenta la Reina (Navarra)
48260 Nasbinals 26080 Logroño (Navarra)
12190 Estaing 09080 Burgos
12320 Conques 24080 León
46100 Figeac 24700 Astorga (León)
46160 Marcilhac-sur-Célé 24400 Ponferrada (León)
46000 Cahors 27600 Saria (Lugo)
82200 Moissac 15780 Santiago de Compostela (A Coruña)
32700 Lectoure
32100 Condom
40800 Aire-sur-l'Adour
64190 Navarrenx
64220 St Jean Pied-de-Port

In France, you'll be charged €0.46 (i.e. the cost of a standard stamp) per item that you collect from Poste Restante. Collection in Spain is free.

Can you Lista de Correos to any Post Office in Spain or just certain ones? For instance, from the Post Office listed on Spanish Correos site given earlier in the thread, the closest one to the Santiago Cathedral is:

RUA DO FRANCO 4
15702 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA (A Coruña)

Would this still be a good one to use, though it is different from the one you listed?

Back