• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post-Santiago: Fatima or Madrid?

Camino2014

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Piémont, Frances, Littoral, Norte, Ingles (completed) Baztan, St. Jaume, Portuguese (planned!)
Hello all.

After I complete the Camino Frances in 2014, I was hoping to see a little bit more of Europe before returning to the USA.

So it was decided that one of two places could be visited:
1. Fatima, Portugal (I am Catholic so this shrine is an important place in my faith)
2. Madrid, Spain

Which city, in your opinion, gives for a more fulfilling European experience? I have a lot of interest in seeing both places so people who have visited one or both, PLEASE share!!! :D
I am interested in seeing what you all think!

Thank you, Buen Camino!
-Camino2014

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

Having been to both places, it's hard to find anything at all in common between the two, so it will really just depend on what appeals to you more. They are totally opposite in every way -- Madrid's a big city with lots of beautiful historical neighborhoods, busy busy busy and full of life. Fatima is an important religious shrine that attracts huge numbers of people but is located in a place that has absolutely nothing else going on.

If you went to Fatima, and had the time, I suppose you could add on a few days in Lisbon, which is very close by. It's a much less intense city than Madrid, more "gritty," but absolutely beautiful in so many ways.

I have spent years in Madrid and never tire of going back, I usually find a way to add on a stop either on my way to or from the Camino. So I'm probably a bit biased.

Buen camino, Laurie

Camino2014 said:
I was hoping to see a little bit more of Europe before returning to the USA.
1. Fatima, Portugal (I am Catholic so this shrine is an important place in my faith)
2. Madrid, Spain...
Which city, in your opinion, gives for a more fulfilling European experience?
-Camino2014
I'm not sure what a "fulfilling European experience" could be. When walking the "Camino" you'll meet pilgrims from many parts of Europe (Spain, Great Britain, Germany, France, Italy - just to mention a few) who'll give a fair "experience".
Visit Fatima by all means. You can inexpensively bus from Santiago to Porto (visit the town with one of the tour organizers) and from there to Fatima (on the bus line to Lisbon). Depending upon your finances and available time, you could add an interesting trip to and through old Lisbon. If not flying out of Lisbon, you can bus from Lisbon to Madrid. Try to spend time to visit the town of Mérida which is on this bus line. (Google Mérida, it's a gem). There are regular buses from Santiago to Porto, then to Fatima, to Lisbon, to Mérida and to Madrid. And Madrid....well plenty of things to see :wink:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino 2014,
I having visited both places and agree with the two persons who have responded. There are regular, convenient, and cheap buses (coaches) from Santiago to Fatima with stops at many interesting places, and ends in Lisbon. As a Catholic you will find the experience of Fatima very different from visiting Madrid, Lisbon is a short stop from Fatima. Lisbon is a less frenetic city than Madrid and can give you a good European feel, in any case you would have met many Spaniards on the Camino. Have you considered Lourdes?

If time permits you can take a bus to Madrid from Lisbon, otherwise spend extra days in Fatima and Lisbon and surrounds, you will not be disappointed. You are one of the few who, like me, spend a lot of money to go to Spain (from New Zealand) then combine a European experience with The Way. My two cents worth as I would have expected more in this forum to respond.
Joe

Hi Camino 2014,
Camino2014 said:
So it was decided that one of two places could be visited:
2. Madrid, Spain
Which city, in your opinion, gives for a more fulfilling European experience?
-Camino2014
I note from other posts that you are starting at Lourdes.
Lourdes SDC Fatima seems a good fit.
France, Spain, Portugal, a good European & Catholic experience.
Buen Camino
Col

Ive been to both and my vote is to visit Lisbon.
From there you can see not only Fatima, but jeronimos monastery, Belem Tower, the Museum of Coaches (fantastic!), Obidos, Alcobaca and then take a train for an overnight in Sintra. There is a nice Albergue there and it's fantastic! There are bus tours from Lisbon like this one that are VERY worthwhile.

http://www.getyourguide.com/lisbon-l42/ ... bon-t1025/

Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Did you walk the caminho Portuges from Lisbon ?

i like to know the trip from Lisbon via Sintra up north to Porto and eventually the sleeping facilities.

My wife and I start may 6th next. Hope you can help me out

Best regards

Albertinho

Rotterdam the Netherlands

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back