• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post your favorite flower photo(s) taken on Camino(part 2)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Near Schäftlarn, in the Munich jakobsweg; the Benedictin monastery (and a fellow pilgrim:) ) can be seen in the background.
I don't know the name; it grows below trees, amongst fallen leaves. The photo was taken in March, when most of the soil was still almost frozen.
1603566484072.png

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I loved the beauty of that stone village, touristy as it was. I stayed in the municipal albergue.

These were taken later the same day in Santillana del Mar. Agreed it is a beautiful village and such a surprise when you get into it. It wasn't too busy the day we stayed there and the weather was amazing. When we left the next morning it was raining, so had a different complexion.
P5150311.JPGP5150313.JPG

Last edited:
Near Schäftlarn, in the Munich jakobsweg; the Benedictin monastery (and a fellow pilgrim:) ) can be seen in the background.
I don't know the name; it grows below trees, amongst fallen leaves. The photo was taken in March, when most o the soil was still almost frozen.
View attachment 86051
Crocus! Are always such a gift....one of the first flowers of spring

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My favorite camino plant photo is not a flower but a gifted homegrown tomato.

West from Estella October 2014 grew several lush beds of giant salsify and ripe tomatoes; how tasty they looked in the golden sunlight of late autumn.

Imagine my delight when I asked about lunch possibilities the friendly hospitalero in the then new Villamayor de Monjardin private albergue offered me a splendid plump tomato still warm with sun from his father's nearby fields. That tomato when cut and drizzled with fresh olive oil was MOST delicious.

His simple kindness meant a lot, such gracious gestures are unforgetable.

Attachments

• 20141025_134830.jpg
    20141025_134830.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I have many prettier pictures, but none that are weirder. After the tunnel on the Vasco, there were a number of places where these pea family plants were in full bloom, tucked into the stones of the old road or poking up through the leaf litter - with not a leaf to be seen.
Anyone know their name? I've tried the web with no success.

Attachments

• 20190521_110642.jpg
    20190521_110642.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 71
  • 20190521_110652.jpg
    20190521_110652.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 68
  • 20190521_111144.jpg
    20190521_111144.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 67
Some kind of Aster?
We saw plenty of those in Galicia in November. At first I thought that they are Colchicum autumnale, a crocus-like flower that appears in autumn in meadows throughout Europe. It has an intriguing name in German, Herbstzeitlose (autumn time loose), and I understand it to mean flower that blooms at an inappropriate time, ie in autumn instead of spring.

However, the flowers we saw and that is on the photo is apparently a member of the crocus nudiflorus family, a crocus with nude flours (no leaves), or crocus serotinus, both crocuses that flower in autumn and are found in Spain.

Anyone know their name? I've tried the web with no success.
The purple flowers in the middle photo are easily the weirdest flowers I saw between home and Santiago ☺️. There were plenty of them in spring in the beech forest coming down from the pass on the way to Roncesvalles. The formidable @Bradypus knew what they are called: purple toothwort in English or Lathraea clandestina.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HAHA...wrong family....so I was barking up the wrong tree. Bingo. Thanks, @Kathar1na !
Mystery solved.

And these are very cool.
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathraea_clandestina
It is a holoparasite, which has neither leaves nor chlorophyll and draws its food from the roots of its hosts via suckers.
The subterranean part, which can weigh several kilograms, is made up of white stems covered with fleshy scales.[...]Mature fruits can project their 4 to 5 large seeds some distance into the surrounding area. [...] Seedlings grown from seed will take about ten years to produce their first flowers.
Parasitic leafless plants living mostly underground who can throw their seeds 'some distance' - whatever the latter means, it's wild.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Attachments

• 20190501_165434.jpg
    20190501_165434.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190517_112217.jpg
    20190517_112217.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20190504_083116.jpg
    20190504_083116.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
View attachment 86147
The flowers in Molinaseca. I found all those old houses, full of flowers, were beautiful. It gave a feeling of joy and life, even to those small, old villages.
I feel exactly the same as you! Nothing is more lovely than old stone as a backdrop for beautiful flowers.
Screenshot_20201019-203448~2.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€46,-

€46,-
Molinaseca flowers are beautiful! Also, that’s me hanging out of the window on the morning of my 50th Birthday. I can’t recall the name of the town at the moment, but it was near the end of September and it was freezing0EC1DE67-E69E-4EF3-8AE7-A11444191A1E.jpeg that morning and we had to walk for two hours before we could find coffee and then we were 17th in line! Ahhhh, good times, good times!

Attachments

• F1850833-339E-4987-9D0E-DFD9A7958C2F.jpeg
    F1850833-339E-4987-9D0E-DFD9A7958C2F.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 41
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Seen last September on the Primitivo. Not sure what it is. Some kind of Aster?
@Richmond Gardner, I saw these also in September on the Primitivo, and on the Sanabrés. This is what I wrote in my blog "This bright little flower grew close to the ground because of the harshness of the weather. However, it is a bulb-grower whose flower comes first, in August, then the leaves come later. It is called Colchicum Montanum or August Crocus, in English and Merendera Montana in Spanish."

45-Hospitales-winter-crocus.jpg

Colchicum Montanum [...] and Merendera Montana in Spanish."
@Elle Bieling, I like your explanation better than mine ☺️. So it is Colchicum after all, though not autumnale which we know from other parts of Europe but montanum. What convinced me that you are right is the fact that the flower has many regional names - I count more than a dozen - in the various areas of Spain, see this entry in the Spanish Wikipedia. Fun!

@Elle Bieling, I like your explanation better than mine ☺️. So it is Colchicum after all, though not autumnale which we know from other parts of Europe but montanum. What convinced me that you are right is the fact that the flower has many regional names - I count more than a dozen - in the various areas of Spain, see this entry in the Spanish Wikipedia. Fun!
@Kathar1na I am not for sure, in fact, I answered before I saw yours! Ha ha. I did a google search to come up with my identification, but don't remember seeing the link you provided. Indeed, it is an interesting thing, the many names! Lets just call it an "Autumn Crocus" and be done with it! ;) Although, I kinda like the "wild lily" too!

Camino Chrissy - the first is honeysuckle (gorgeous scent) and the second is Knipfofia - Red Hot Pokers.
Felipe - lovely little crocus.
Martin 888 - poppies amid escaped wheat...
Anne and Pat - Amaryllis
Mark Connelly - hibiscus
VNwalking - i cannot remember the name but i think it is a parasitic fruiting plant that grows out from the
trunk of certain trees....quite rare to see!
Debramarie - amazing coloured petunias/foxgloves/rock rose/bottlebrush shrub/primrose.
Viggen - i think its a millet...
222koala - Abutilon
Minha - the middle one is a Clivia
Camino Chrissy - a wallfull of Spanish daisy - also called Erigeron karvinskianus - or Mexican fleabane! once you have it - you have it forever - it has just hopped across the lane from my neighbours - I am happy as larry!

Camino Chrissy - the first is honeysuckle (gorgeous scent) and the second is Knipfofia - Red Hot Pokers.
Felipe - lovely little crocus.
Martin 888 - poppies amid escaped wheat...
Anne and Pat - Amaryllis
Mark Connelly - hibiscus
VNwalking - i cannot remember the name but i think it is a parasitic fruiting plant that grows out from the
trunk of certain trees....quite rare to see!
Debramarie - amazing coloured petunias/foxgloves/rock rose/bottlebrush shrub/primrose.
Viggen - i think its a millet...
222koala - Abutilon
Minha - the middle one is a Clivia
Camino Chrissy - a wallfull of Spanish daisy - also called Erigeron karvinskianus - or Mexican fleabane! once you have it - you have it forever - it has just hopped across the lane from my neighbours - I am happy as larry!
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to add in your knowledge of so many different flowers to this thread.🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I loved the beautiful beds of these roses along the riverside on the road into Logrono. Sadly I've not been able to find them available to buy anywhere.

Attachments

• St James Way.jpg
    St James Way.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 20
  • the rose of St James' Way in Logrono.jpg
    the rose of St James' Way in Logrono.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 28
I don't know the name; it grows below trees, amongst fallen leaves. The photo was taken in March, when most of the soil was still almost frozen.
View attachment 86051
The name of this flower is crocus. When I lived in Canada, they would be the first sign that spring was on the way as they suddenly appeared, pushing up from the ground still covered in snow.

Hard to pick one favourite flower when there are so many beautiful ones in almost all seasons - roses were even blooming in November! I chose this photo because I loved the way the rose seemed to be so proud to be highlighted in the garden....at that moment.
Municipal Albergue, Salamanca - October 2018

2018 OCT 17  SALAMANCA ROSE.JPG

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mozárabe 2017 - fab memories (holly hock & yucca)

Attachments

• 886CEB41-C5F3-42BE-BAE2-137CF4E3F6B0.jpeg
    886CEB41-C5F3-42BE-BAE2-137CF4E3F6B0.jpeg
    949.5 KB · Views: 20
  • A5F050CE-3A0E-449F-B822-B6B0B52F5CB7.jpeg
    A5F050CE-3A0E-449F-B822-B6B0B52F5CB7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Got a buzz coming across the 'native bottlebrush'.

Attachments

• DSC_1102.jpg
    DSC_1102.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1188.jpg
    DSC_1188.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_1246.jpg
    DSC_1246.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1285.jpg
    DSC_1285.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_1364-EFFECTS.jpg
    DSC_1364-EFFECTS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_1417.jpg
    DSC_1417.jpg
    967.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_1556.jpg
    DSC_1556.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1563.jpg
    DSC_1563.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21

€149,-
Fantastic thread Chrissy - thank you for starting it. And gorgeous floral replies everyone - thank you all too. I took my contributing photo on the bridge in the lovely town of Pont St Martin on the Via Francigena in September 2017. It was in the early evening, just as the light was beginning to fade.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

649EE5E1-79DA-4BCE-9A9D-39C04C6EAD46.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Interesting flower, not so much for the beauty, but more for the attitude.
Valdes Asturia,
View attachment 86167
Hi @Viggen - thanks for posting the fantastic photo of those unusual flowers - it’s had me cackling for days! I talked about your photo on the Forum Zoom on Thursday evening and it caused a hoot of laughter from everyone!
I reckon these plants would be great to grow in your front garden - depending on whether one or two flower spikes grew, people venturing onto your property would either think twice before going any further or that yes, all’s cool and go in!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have seen many of these beautiful, yet simple calla lilies along the Caminos, usually in flower gardens, but also once I saw many of them growing wild in a forest on the Portuguese camino. I love them because they are heart shaped, but also because they were my sister's wedding bouquet. She passed away two years ago. I always took pictures of them on my caminos and sent them to her as they don't grow naturally where we live.
Screenshot_20201031-185933~2.pngScreenshot_20201031-191455~2.png

I have seen many of these beautiful, yet simple calla lilies along the Caminos, usually in flower gardens, but also once I saw many of them growing wild in a forest on the Portuguese camino. I love them because they are heart shaped, but also because they were my sister's wedding bouquet. She passed away two years ago. I always took pictures of them on my caminos and sent them to her as they don't grow naturally where we live.
View attachment 86637View attachment 86639
They are my favorite flower because of their appealing shape--somehow they touch my soul. But I have met people who don't like them because for some reason they associate them with funerals. I am sorry to hear about the passing of your sister, and am sure her wedding was made lovelier by these graceful flowers and the care of her loved ones.

I decided to begin a "part two" of a thread I had started in 2018. I was browsing through some of my camino photos today and happened upon a couple of rather unique and somewhat strange flowers from my Le Puy camino to share.
View attachment 86033View attachment 86034
The bottom photo is of red hot pokers, indigenous to South Africa. At their best they grow en masse in marshy areas particularly in the foothills of the Drakensberg in KwaZulu--Natal, the province where I live. I have some in my garden.

Pink flowers between Fonfria and San Mamed do Camino, , Poppies between El Burgo Ranero and Mansilla de las Mullas, Rose Garden between Molinaseca and Cacabelos. May 2016 CF

Attachments

• 45915358604_eb63dee1ce_w.jpg
    45915358604_eb63dee1ce_w.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 46638412781_4f407760ee_w.jpg
    46638412781_4f407760ee_w.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 31697453357_fd5b323a90_w (1).jpg
    31697453357_fd5b323a90_w (1).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 13
This marigold plant had it's picture taken exactly one year ago (November 1, 2019). It was found shortly before Bolea on the Camino Catalan. What was special about this flower was where it was growing -- in the road! It was surrounded by traffic lanes in a wide spot at a bend in the road. The second picture shows where.
IMG_20191101_145157.jpg. Screenshot_20200506-084655.png

Great thread!
the first and last pictures were just lucky timing. The middle one showed me what tenacity looks like!

Attachments

• FE99CB06-9A25-46B2-921D-18C97A731019.jpeg
    FE99CB06-9A25-46B2-921D-18C97A731019.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 8F106C99-7F93-41B7-82BF-62FAD33C25D8.jpeg
    8F106C99-7F93-41B7-82BF-62FAD33C25D8.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 73F91342-B620-4213-9EF8-F9ED0F4BC265.jpeg
    73F91342-B620-4213-9EF8-F9ED0F4BC265.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 8
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Got a buzz coming across the 'native bottlebrush'.
@Dennis White, I too love seeing our beautiful bottlebrushes...it's an instant reminder of home.
I've encountered them walking the Camino in Spain, the Portugues & on the VF in Italy. They grow so well in these climates & always have pride of place in the owners garden.
It brings a smile knowing such a common plant in Aus is considered an exotic wonder in Europe...I certainly appreciate them more as a result. When I see them here at home now, it takes me straight back to the various trails. I even planted one in my own garden as a further reminder! 🤗
👣 🌏

@Dennis White, I too love seeing our beautiful bottlebrushes...it's an instant reminder of home.
I've encountered them walking the Camino in Spain, the Portugues & on the VF in Italy. They grow so well in these climates & always have pride of place in the owners garden.
It brings a smile knowing such a common plant in Aus is considered an exotic wonder in Europe...I certainly appreciate them more as a result. When I see them here at home now, it takes me straight back to the various trails. I even planted one in my own garden as a further reminder! 🤗
👣 🌏
It was the same from Sarria with all the'Gum Trees'. I stuck my walking staff in the ground behind one just off the trail past the airport on the way into SdC and hope to check if its still there next Camino. It felt like an appropriate place.

It was the same from Sarria with all the'Gum Trees'. I stuck my walking staff in the ground behind one just off the trail past the airport on the way into SdC and hope to check if its still there next Camino. It felt like an appropriate place.
Yep, agree about the gum trees. They're such a familiar sight & smell to us that I didn't even register them at first...then I had one of those 'Oh...I'm in Spain!' 💡moments.
Actually, aren't gum trees considered a pest in Spain? 🤔
For me, the gum trees were a gentle way of easing me into the reality that the Camino was nearly over 😔 & I'd be heading home soon.
I hope you do return to find your trusty walking pole still tucked away where you left it.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Yep, agree about the gum trees. They're such a familiar sight & smell to us that I didn't even register them at first...then I had one of those 'Oh...I'm in Spain!' 💡moments.
Actually, aren't gum trees considered a pest in Spain? 🤔
For me, the gum trees were a gentle way of easing me into the reality that the Camino was nearly over 😔 & I'd be heading home soon.
I hope you do return to find your trusty walking pole still tucked away where you left it.
👣 🌏
They were introduced in 1800's for paper and furniture production, some of which may still go on, but have gone ferrel and yes, a designated pest. I recognised blue gums, stringy bark and mountain ash.

I've been trying to load a looped "live" photo of wild lavender waving in the breeze, taken on the Via de la Plata. It is one of my favourites, but the file size is too large. Anyone got any ideas of how to compress it? It is already in a gif format.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been trying to load a looped "live" photo of wild lavender waving in the breeze, taken on the Via de la Plata. It is one of my favourites, but the file size is too large. Anyone got any ideas of how to compress it? It is already in a gif format.

Usually you can manage picture file size using some picture editor. Look for a menu item in the editor saying something like ‘Adjust/manage size’. I don’t know which operating system you are running but if for instance you are on Windows you could use the ‘Picture App’. Open the picture in the app and click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner and then choose the menu item ‘Adjust size’. Now you can choose between some predefined options or user-defined size. Then save the picture under a different name. If you don’t have this particular editor then you will probably have access to some other editor that will give you similar options for managing file size.

Has anyone else ever used an animated gif on the forum? If not then it may need a feature called PECL to be loaded and a setting turned on by Ivar. By default, animated gifs are not supported but Ivar may have enabled this feature.

Has anyone else ever used an animated gif on the forum? If not then it may need a feature called PECL to be loaded and a setting turned on by Ivar. By default, animated gifs are not supported but Ivar may have enabled this feature.
I have seen animated gifs in posts but small ones. I can't remember the last time though so things may have changed.

Wait. Let's try this.proxy-image.gif

Ignore the jpg image below. It got added accidentally and can't be deleted. By the way, the size of the animated gif is 4.2 MB.

Attachments

• proxy-image(2).jpg
    proxy-image(2).jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I have seen animated gifs in posts but small ones. I can't remember the last time though so things may have changed.

Wait. Let's try this.
View attachment 86759
No animation for me. If it has worked in the past then it is possible that the recent upgrade has changed this. I did see some comments on the Xenforo support thread relating to gifs and the recent upgrade.

No animation for me. If it has worked in the past then it is possible that the recent upgrade has changed this. I did see some comments on the Xenforo support thread relating to gifs and the recent upgrade.
You may have seen the jpg that I inserted first [accidentally instead of the gif]. Take another look please and report.

Last edited:

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.