• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post your favorite flower photo taken on Camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took tons of pictures of flowers on the camino, including in France. The sad part is that I maybe know one or two names of them, despite the fact my dad was a garden architect and my mom used to work in a flower shop.

Attachments

• 2016-04-21 08.31.48.jpg
    2016-04-21 08.31.48.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2016-04-21 10.44.55.jpg
    2016-04-21 10.44.55.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 2016-04-22 12.19.31.jpg
    2016-04-22 12.19.31.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 2016-04-28 12.05.21.jpg
    2016-04-28 12.05.21.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 2016-05-13 13.55.10.jpg
    2016-05-13 13.55.10.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2016-05-15 15.48.48.jpg
    2016-05-15 15.48.48.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 2016-06-04 16.30.56.jpg
    2016-06-04 16.30.56.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 2016-06-10 08.12.27.jpg
    2016-06-10 08.12.27.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 2016-06-16 13.42.41.jpg
    2016-06-16 13.42.41.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not strictly on Camino but taken on pilgrimage in Japan a few days ago. Cherry blossom - "sakura" in Japanese - is a national obsession. When you see it in the landscape and set against so many beautiful buildings it is easy to see why.

View attachment 41210View attachment 41211View attachment 41212

Nice that you mention 'Sakura'. I've never been to Japan, but do share their love for cherry blossom. So much so that I planted a cherry tree in our backyard when our son was born 17 years ago. And each spring I marvel at the speed and abundance with which that tree explodes in lush and delicate flowers. It is blossoming as we speak: I think tomorrow it will hit its peak.
And at the same time our cherry tree does its thing, I always make a point to go look at a huge magnolia tree a couple of streets away. It is equally impressive to see that one, one of the most beautiful in the Netherlands, according to a national contest that was held some years ago (as I was told by the proud owners).

Attachments

• 2018-04-14-12.17.jpg
    2018-04-14-12.17.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 2018-04-14-15.04.58.jpg
    2018-04-14-15.04.58.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Hi John, I have only walked in spring, so have yet to see the sunflowers in bloom on the Camino...they have such happy faces. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And at the same time our cherry tree does its thing, I always make a point to go look at a huge magnolia tree a couple of streets away. It is equally impressive to see that one, one of the most beautiful in the Netherlands, according to a national contest that was held some years ago (as I was told by the proud owners).

The Japanese have some lovely magnolias too. I took this photo on the same day as the ones above :)

IMG_20180326_132224.jpg

I've never been much of a flower person. Especially cut flowers in vases don't do anything for me.
But I really learned to see, appreciate and love the wild flowers along the Camino.

IMG_0679.jpgThis picture I took just after Navarrete in May 2017.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pyrenees. Spring. A flower I've never seen before or since.
Not as good a photo as yours but looks like the same flower. Photo was taken in the Pyrenees in early April. The flowers seemed to be growing straight out of the ground in clumps. Most unusual.
2A947C13-7E5C-4A6A-8F3D-8CB3F63CC513.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not as good a photo as yours but looks like the same flower. Photo was taken in the Pyrenees in early April. The flowers seemed to be growing straight out of the ground in clumps. Most unusual.

I think it is an odd plant called purple toothwort in English or clandestine in French. Doesn't need leaves because it is actually a parasite growing on the roots of other plants, especially some tree species.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathraea_clandestina

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here’s another one for you. It’s a wild thistle and you can see dried versions hanging on doors in Basque country in Navarra apparently to protect against evil spirits.
I did think I had a photo of one on a door but can’t find it.
CD9DBFB3-8B18-4547-9C2D-F7D41453EDC4.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here’s another one for you. It’s a wild thistle and you can see dried versions hanging on doors in Basque country in Navarra apparently to protect against evil spirits.
View attachment 41304
I remember seeing a few huge thistles here and there, but don't recall noticing the flower at the top...although not too pretty, it's still very interesting!

View attachment 41304
It’s an eguzkilore. It keeps the bad spirits away.

Attachments

• 472033EE-4731-430E-ACEF-58C9A51FA4E7.jpeg
    472033EE-4731-430E-ACEF-58C9A51FA4E7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s an eguzkilore. It keeps the bad spirits away.
In Scotland it used to be believed that a rowan tree growing near a house was a protection against witches and black magic. Many houses had one near the front door. Much of the Highlands was cleared of people in the 19th century and almost all the houses were torn down. Very little left to be seen. Sometimes you can still tell where they once were because a solitary rowan tree is growing in the middle of a wide open landscape. It can be a very poignant sight.

In Scotland it used to be believed that a rowan tree growing near a house was a protection against witches and black magic. Many houses had one near the front door. Much of the Highlands was cleared of people in the 19th century and almost all the houses were torn down. Very little left to be seen. Sometimes you can still tell where they once were because a solitary rowan tree is growing in the middle of a wide open landscape. It can be a very poignant sight.
Bradypus, I have been waiting for a chance to say I noticed your new avatar, although I miss the old one! ah, the clearances! A similar story holds where I now live, Ireland, but it is the hawthorn, which is the Fairy tree and not to be disturbed...

Rowan tree? Is like this? This one is from my family second home in the mountain

AB1628F1-A8F0-4992-866A-B9B6E4CBE1BB.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Much of the Highlands was cleared of people in the 19th century and almost all the houses were torn down. Very little left to be seen. Sometimes you can still tell where they once were because a solitary rowan tree is growing in the middle of a wide open landscape. It can be a very poignant sight.
Interesting. It reminded me of the solitary stone pines or parasol pines that one sees along the ways of Saint James through Les Landes, shortly before one reaches the Pyrenées. They are said to have marked the houses of Protestants or Huguenots when they lived under difficult circumstances, including persecution, in 16th and 17th century France. I photographed one such pine tree and duly felt a certain frisson and the breath of history (I know that's not English ... what do you say?).

So these pine trees marked homes where a Protestant could find shelter and kindred spirits in the South West of Catholic France:

Pin parasol.jpg

Turns out that they have a life span of only 150 years ...

Apparently, that's similar to the lifespan of the rowan trees but of course they may still be the originals. :cool:

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Co-incidence! I was just visiting a friend in hospital this afternoon, and she was amusing herself looking at photos of wildflowers she took on the meseta two years ago. She's a wonderful photographer. My photos are not nearly as good, but I was pleased with this, because it is unusual. A wild orchid:

Wild orchid.jpg

And on the Norte, in Galicia, we kept finding these beautiful roses - profusely covered bushes, and the flowers themselves varied in colour from a deep to a light pink, all on the same bush. I've asked various knowledgeable gardeners, and so far no-one has come up with exactly what it is. The locals just shrugged and said "rosa común".

Wild roses.jpg

The poppies inspired me. They appear so fragile on their delicate stems and equally delicate petals. Yet they’d continue to stand proudly during the extream heat as well as the strong rain and wind. When I’d feel tired or in pain I’d spot one and stand straighter....and walk stronger.

Attachments

• FA9FF297-1AB6-4B4D-B404-1258570CC965.jpeg
    FA9FF297-1AB6-4B4D-B404-1258570CC965.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 20
Interesting. It reminded me of the solitary stone pines or parasol pines that one sees along the ways of Saint James through Les Landes, shortly before one reaches the Pyrenées. They are said to have marked the houses of Protestants or Huguenots when they lived under difficult circumstances, including persecution, in 16th and 17th century France. I photographed one such pine tree and duly felt a certain frisson and the breath of history (I know that's not English ... what do you say?).

So these pine tress marked homes where a Protestant could find shelter and kindred spirits:

View attachment 41313

Turns out that they have a life span of only 150 years ...

Apparently, that's similar to the lifespan of the rowan trees but of course they may still be the originals. :cool:
Is this the same tree? I've read that this house on the alternate path near Villafranca del Bierzo is the most snapped photo on the Frances...don't know if it's true.
I've seen these trees in Rome and love them. I call them Umbrella pines. Lol.Screenshot_2018-04-16-06-19-17.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes - that's the one. Sometimes also called the mountain ash.

We known it as Serbal (Sorbus aucuparia ); in the foto I´ve uploaded before, you can see in the left down several Fresnos (Fraxinios excelsior); ash tree is the name in english?, and above them, on the hillside, can see an oak forest.

Sorry, I love trees :rolleyes:

€149,-
Is this the same tree? I've read that this house on the alternate path near Villafranca del Bierzo is the most snapped photo on the Frances...don't know if it's true.
I've seen these trees in Rome and love them. I call them Umbrella pines. Lol.
Really good photo, Chris. Best I’ve seen of that house and there have been a few.

Have so many but one that makes me smile every time is this one from Camino Francés. Taken here: https://www.google.com/maps?q=loc:42.5245563,-5.6763314
Have some roses I really like as well like this one from CP and a lot of thistles from the Meseta :)
View attachment 41453
Beatrice, the excellent lighting on your sunflower picture makes it very special!

The rose photo is outstanding, graced with perfectly placed beads of rain or dew droplets...very unique!

Beatrice, the excellent lighting on your sunflower picture makes it very special!

The rose photo is outstanding, graced with perfectly placed beads of rain or dew droplets...very unique!
Thanks! Yes I was lucky with both the sunrise and the rain :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Delightful, Roland!
Thanks!
All Photos from SJPdP to SdC :)
Photo 1: Pyrenees behind Orisson
Photo 2: short before Roncesvalles
Photo 3: between Pamplona and Alto del Perdon
Photo 4: Astorga
Photo 5: Triacastela
Photo 6: Samos
Photo 7: Palas del Rei (I think)
Photo 8-10: Santiago de Compostela

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have no idea what the above flower's name is, but it is so unusual and 3 dimensional...an all time favorite of mine!
We saw a lot of those on the Via San Fransico in Italy...was told it is the flower of passion fruit...?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Flowers are my addiction...hundreds of photos from my 5 Caminos...just gorgeous!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.04.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.04.19 PM.png
    736.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.02.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.02.17 PM.png
    665.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.03.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.03.18 PM.png
    588.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.02.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.02.34 PM.png
    866.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.04.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.04.09 PM.png
    610 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.05.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 9.05.02 PM.png
    933.2 KB · Views: 4
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I put together this PDF of the orchids I saw on the Le Puy route from Conques to Moissac this May

Attachments

• Orchids.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back