• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Postal Service (direct) from Porto to Santiago de Compostela?

Bikeguy

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to SJPP via velo, June 2010
Hi Ivar. Is it possible to send a package by post from Porto directly to your office? Thank you, Randy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ivar. Is it possible to send a package by post from Porto directly to your office? Thank you, Randy

Hi Bikeguy, well as you can see I am not Ivar, but I did send a box of surplus stuff directly to Ivar from the main post office in Porto. It was very easy to do and the cost was reasonable, and it came with tracking. If you haven't got tour own box you can pick one up from the display stand while you wait in line, after getting your numbered ticket from the machine, then pay for the box and postage at the counter. I also arranged for Ivar to deliver the box to the place I was staying, as I planned to arrive on a Sunday. Great service.

Bom Caminho!

Thanks SEB! This is great bit of info and very helpful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all, we are walking 1/2 of the PC from Porto and I would like to know if I can send a medium sized suitcase to IVAR for storage till we get there 12 days. Also, an approximate cost.
Thx

Same as Doug... I´ll have a medium sized suitcase . Can it be send by post from Porto or I do have to put hings in a box???
Thanks

We are in Isbon now and will be in Porto on Saturday. Is the post office open on Saturday and will they sent a medium suitcase?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kati’s,
I just checked at the CTT( post office)
For a medium suite case wrapped . plastic
And under 20kg from Lisbon it would be 89 euros. Too much for me. So we are going to send it ahead daily till we get into Spain and then see how much it cost. I’ll let you know how it works out. We leave Porto Sunday April 7th.

Yes, it can be done. Others have explained the process for sending your items.

However, understand that Portugal treats this like an international export shipment. So it goes SOUTH from Porto to Lisbon. Then it travels like an export shipment to Madrid, in the foreign country of Spain. From there, the Spanish Correos treats this like an international importation from the foreign country of Portugal. From Madrid, your shipment goes into the Spanish national postal distribution system. Your item will eventually show up at Ivar's.

In Portugal, shipping between two Portuguese places is simple, cheap and effective. Similarly, shipping between any two Spanish places, wholly within Spain, is also easy, cheap and quick.

The complications, and added time, come when you have to ship from one European country to another. Despite the EU being in place for some 25 years, and the Customs union longer than that IIRC, most all EU countries still maintain stovepiped, separate postal systems.

I explain this so you will understand that parcels rarely go straight line, as one would logically think.

If you allow enough time, you will be fine. It takes about 10 days to walk from Porto to Santiago. Ordinarily, that should be enough time. Ivar usually sends you an email when he gets the package if you put your email address on the label or parcel.

Hope this helps.

Hi Kati’s,
I just checked at the CTT( post office)
For a medium suite case wrapped . plastic
And under 20kg from Lisbon it would be 89 euros. Too much for me. So we are going to send it ahead daily till we get into Spain and then see how much it cost. I’ll let you know how it works out. We leave Porto Sunday April 7th.
How did this work out for you??? I plan to leave Porto on May 1st, but would like to send my exra (small) suitcase on ahead to Santiago without having to deal with it on a daily basis. Thanks for any tips!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We had a change of plans and we sent our bag ahead to Santiago straight to the Albergue we were to say at. Tuitrans took it and I told them the day we would be at the Albergue and I call the Albergue to let them know it would be coming. The charge from Porto to Santiago was E 60.
It all turned out great.

We had a change of plans and we sent our bag ahead to Santiago straight to the Albergue we were to say at. Tuitrans took it and I told them the day we would be at the Albergue and I call the Albergue to let them know it would be coming. The charge from Porto to Santiago was E 60.
It all turned out great.
Thanks, Doug. Where did you stay in Santiago? Did you have to give Tuitrans the exact destination and day when you dropped it off? I'm unsure how many days we will take to walk.

We stayed at Roots and Boots. Real close to the pilgrims office and very nice. I told them when I needed it at my Albergue and it worked out good. The kind of hop scotch the bag from stage to stage by the area carriers till it get to Santiago. So I think you need to give them a minimum of 6-7 days . But when you. Get to Portugal just call them and they will clarify it for you.
I was very happy with them.

Bom Caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.