• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Postal services in Santiago / sending a parcel

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
End of may, on a Friday, I will have to send some smaller items (including foldable walking sticks) home, that are not compatible with Iberia's hand luggage restrictions. My plane goes in later afternoon and I will arrive in Santiago around lunch time.
Any advice on where to get a parcel (the actual card board box) and then send it home by postal services? Does the postal service near the cathedral sell all that and is it usually crowded?

Or would it be a more relaxed process doing the same the day before in Fisterra?

Excise my ignorance ... but I simply do not know how these things work in Spain/Santiago and I do not want to lose my not that cheap items. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How much would it cost the check in a bag with those items?
Checking it through to my final destination would make it a totally different tariff hence maybe 50 / 60 EUR extra.
Plus I would need to haven an extra bag which I would not want to carry all the way from Oviedo to Fisterra.

Last edited:
I shipped stuff home from Correos Santiago. They picked out a box for me based on the inventory of things to be shipped.

It was not cheap however, checking a bag on your flight would be less than shipping.

I shipped because we were staying in Europe for several more weeks. It was convenient to ship homes items we did not need for the rest of the trip.

Jim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I shipped stuff home from Correos Santiago. They picked out a box for me based on the inventory of things to be shipped.

It was not cheap however, checking a bag on your flight would be less than shipping.

I shipped because we were staying in Europe for several more weeks. It was convenient to ship homes items we did not need for the rest of the trip.

Jim
Well, in my case it would be neither heavy nor large. And it would be sent within Europe. I doubt it would cost more than the 50ish EUR or more I would expect checking in for two flights would cost.

I know this is not the same but I always take a stick from the hedge on the Camino and bring it home in my bag for reassembly with dowel screws. Lovely memento esp with dates and Camino destinations etched on it.

PXL_20230314_120616066.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.