A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Poste Restante

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo
Once upon a time, a long long time ago, when I was very young, I left home to see the world. My mother watched me go with a tear in her eye, and my father, who never showed emotions, called after me “you know this is your home – you can come back anytime . . . .”

I sent a postcard home about once a week . . . and a letter about once a month.

They would write me news of the family, and post their letters to Poste Restante . . . to Marrakech . . . Cairo . . . Khartoum . . . Addis Abbaba . . . Nairobi . . . All their letters were waiting for me, in deepest darkest Africa.

So now my question is: does Poste Restante still work? Is it still possible to post something to “My Name, Poste Restante, Town, Country”, and it will be there waiting for me a few weeks later? I need to pick up something in a town on the camino, but I don’t know exactly when I will be there.
Jill

Raggy

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Mozarabe Almeria (2017)
Cherhill to Canterbury - Pilgrims' Way (2018)
Via Francigena (2019)
The thread that Magwood posted above states that post offices hold lista coreos packages for 30 days. I recall reading this somewhere else too. But when I used lista coreos in 2017, the post offices would only hold packages for two weeks. I was told that the package would be sent back to the sender's address if uncollected (or thrown away if there is no sender's address).

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
For my first Camino in 1990 I agreed with my wife that I would check the post offices in 3 towns along the Camino Frances for letters sent lista de Correos. I also made a couple of phone calls from public payphones. That was my entire connection with home for the journey. It now feels like ancient history when these days I can be in near-instant contact with my family and friends almost anywhere on the planet.

lissie45

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to walk Frances 2019
The thread that Magwood posted above states that post offices hold lista coreos packages for 30 days. I recall reading this somewhere else too. But when I used lista coreos in 2017, the post offices would only hold packages for two weeks. I was told that the package would be sent back to the sender's address if uncollected (or thrown away if there is no sender's address).
THat was a general thing worldwide places would hold letters for a min of 30 days but often for much longer . But parcels were different - I remember London only holding parcels for a very short time

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
My experience is that Correos hold packages for two weeks. It might be few days longer if they are labeled as "Lista de Correos, @jsalt (peregrina de Santiago)" because they know that something might have happened and you were unable to pick up the package within that two weeks time frame. Anyway whenever I picked up my package addressed as mentioned I received a wide grin :D

sitges54

Camino(s) past & future
Ah the memories, Poste restante 1973 the thrill of reconnecting with a fellow traveler when your paths were to cross again priceless thanks for jogging my memory

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.5%
  • May

Votes: 204 24.0%