• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Posting Home Walking Staff

david malta

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon Santiago March 2015
Pamplona Santiago March 2016
I intend to buy a walking staff at Pamplona to use during my coming pilgrimage. Unless I forget behind the staff somewhere along the way as happened last year, upon arriving at SDC I would like to pack and send my staff by post back home. Does the Pilgrims' Office offer such a service? If not, any idea where such a service is provided.

Thank you for your help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I intend to buy a walking staff at Pamplona to use during my coming pilgrimage. Unless I forget behind the staff somewhere along the way as happened last year, upon arriving at SDC I would like to pack and send my staff by post back home. Does the Pilgrims' Office offer such a service? If not, any idea where such a service is provided.

Thank you for your help.
The Pilgrim Office does not offer such a service, but you can go to the Correos, and they will mail it. You will need to find a suitable container, and don't be surprised if the cost is several times the original cost of the stave!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i brought mine with me from Kenya and I just wrapped it in heavy duty bubble wrap and double taped the ends and checked it as luggage. It had no problem going from Nairobi to Dubai to Copenhagen to Lisbon.
They slapped a 'fragile' sticker on it, but mine is made of acacia that has been double fired, it would take a lot to break it.

Those palos are indestructible. Consider just putting a tag on it and checking it through your airlines. Thats what we did.

American Airlines lost my stick after I was forced to check it. I'd ship it back. If you become as attached to your stick as I was, the shipping is worth it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are going to ship your stick back home, a cardboard shipping tube is your best bet. I'm not sure what Correos has in stock but you can always check. There is a Mail Boxes Etc. store in Santiago. Here's the address. C/ Santiago de Guayaquil, 5 , Santiago de Compostela, 15702. I believe Mail Boxes Etc. is owned by UPS so they might also be able to help you with shipping.

Or you could pick up a shipping tube at home, mail it empty to Ivar's luggage storage and pick it up when you reach Santiago. Then just take your stick to the Correos by the cathedral and ship it back home.

Xbien. I took mine on board the aircraft and put it in the top locker with no problems, and that was with Ryan Air, although I did ask at check in, just to make sure. If you think about it, would they deny someone on crutches?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.