• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Posting items to Santiago

Is it possible to post items from SJDP instead of waiting until Pamplona? I am sure it is cheaper to wait until Spain, but I would not like to walk with extra "stuff" until Pamplona. I know Ivar has a service in Santiago and I would love to use it, can I do this as soon as I reach SJDP? Thank you for any info on this!
Rosemary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is it possible to post items from SJDP instead of waiting until Pamplona? I am sure it is cheaper to wait until Spain, but I would not like to walk with extra "stuff" until Pamplona. I know Ivar has a service in Santiago and I would love to use it, can I do this as soon as I reach SJDP? Thank you for any info on this!
Rosemary
You can send to Ivar from SJPdP if you wish. It is cheaper from Pamplona due to the domestic rate in Spain....but it is certainly not out of reason.
Ivar's service is great and worry free. I used it earlier this year.

I can't see any reason why it should make a difference to Ivar from where you send your "extra stuff" - as long as you come and pick it up again ;-)
SY

Rosemary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No problem posting from SJPP to anywhere in Spain. You may also consider using the baggage transport services from SJPP to Pamplona, sending your extra bag ahead to your walking destination each day, then posting it from Pamplona. But then you might find that the extra cost of posting from SJPP is worth it to avoid the extra hassle.

Just be sure you are in SJPP when the post office is open. It's a short walk from the center, Rue de la Citadelle, on the street that runs between the train station and the center.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Weigh up the economics if you are thinking of posting or using the baggage forwarding service. Jacontrans - the most used carrier, charge 7 Euros per stage for a maximum weight of 12 kgs. A stage for them is maximum 30 kms. That is 3 stages x 7 Euros = 21 Euros. You can compare that to the cost of the extra postage from SJPP instead of Pamplona. Plus the possible inconvenence of having to be at the albergue to which you have forwarded the baggage every night of the three stages. I would say that posting from SJPP wins hands down, but do the sums.

On my first camino I send things ahead, to the post office not some special service.

The essential point seems to inform the person in the post office when you plan to arrive in Santiago (at least aproximate). In my case I send stuff from Pamplona, the guy in the post office told me they would keep it for 2 weeks in Pamplona and then send it to Santiago so there is no problem of the parcel beeing too long in storage in Santiago which might cause it to be returned to sender i.e. Pamplona (they have limited storage in Santiago, especially with the volume of parcels in summer) A friend send stuff from Logrono and used the same system of approximate arrival ... both our parcels waited for us upon arrival :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back