• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pot and the Camino – More alike than you thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoga Girl

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016) Camino Portuguese
(2017) Ingles
(2018) Primitivo
Living in the Bay Area, I am surrounded by pot culture, so when I saw this article in the La Concha newsletter by a NorCal peregrina, I was intrigued. Unfortunately APOC didn't post the continuation. The suspense was killing me, so Diana sent me the full article to share on my blog. Here is the full article, complete with a handy Weed vs. Way comparison chart at the end. Enjoy!
http://thecaminoprovides.com/2016/01/07/pot-and-the-camino-more-alike-than-you-thought/
dianavalle.jpg

Diana Valle

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To the OP: Do the walk first. You will be very surprised about yourself at the finishing day in front of The Cathredal.

The comparison of pot/Camino is only wishful thinking: The Camino is something different. But, since you haven't done it yet, I can understand.

Classifying pilgrims as medicinal or recreational is pure bulls..t; people walk for all kinds of reasons, and they come from all walks of life. Every reason is valid. Her reference to the movie The Way is a reference to a movie; a reality most peregrinos do not share. The writer should walk one more time, with a more open mind, IMHO.

I wish you a Buen Camino, and I hope that by the end of your walk, you will have a reset mind and having had a beautiful and eye-opening experience.

Enjoy the planning of your very first Camino, and stay away from pot: The Camino is the real deal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe I should elaborate a bit more on this issue, especially in aid of the OP Laurie, who I understand is very deeply into preparing her first walk, with a blog, investigations on the subject, et al.

The Camino is a reality. You will experience a new insight into yourself somewhere on the Way. Soo many people set out thinking this will be a long and cheap holiday, but many of them will realize, while on the Way, that they are into something different; a lifechanger. Your pot friend missed that, IMHO.

On my way out of Burgos one day, I was approached by a politician from Australia. We walked together to Santiago. I told him what would most likely happen to him, if he was a thinking being. When we arrived, we put off our backpacks in front of The Cathredal, sat down, and he cried. I knew he would, because there was hope in him. He said to me: "Three weeks ago in Burgos I was laughing inside at your words, but you were absolutely right. I will go home and care much more for all of my dearest.".

I hope you will experience something similar. Remember one thing:

The Camino is a reality. Very strong so. Pot is an escape from reality. Stay real.

Buen Camino!

Well, while I can see what the author is trying to convey, but it's a little simplistic. I would have bee one of these "medecinal" pilgrims the authors refers to as I walked a few moths after my mother died. And contrary to this article, my "affliction" did not disappear in a few short weeks on the Camino and, on the other hand, I was very able to smell the flowers, appreciate romanesque architecture and related to those just there enjoying life. This article paints a picture of people greiving as people who are mourning as only being able of feeling myserable, looking for pain as some sort of punishment or way to "get over" the death of a loved one. A bit charicatural for my taste. All the picture is missing the self flagelation o_O.

On a different topic, I took a look at your Camino prep on your blog. It's very nice, but Oh how we here on the Forum love to look at packing lists and comment. I hope you don't mind, but I would suggest you consider taking adavantage of that REI exchange policy because at 3 pounds 9 ounces, or 1.9kg, you back pack is very heavy. In comparison mine, Osprey Tempest 40 is 2.2 ponds or 0.95kg., or half the weight of the one you bought. You could use that kg for other things you will need, or simply walk lighter. I am a bit concerned that you were looking at bags from 20 to 48 liters. Surely if you were disappointed the 20 Tempest was not available you not need this heavy 48 l. bag. This recommendation is especially made if you plan on walking during warmer months during which a heavier sleeping bag is not needed.

Oh, also, on your map of the Caminos you show B as being the Primitivo. The Primitivo is not shown on that map ( the first one in Planning Part II).

Ok, back to regular programming. My appologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry
Too simplistic a view.
The author is filtering every sensation and experience through the green haze.

Dont get your chonies in a wad..i have close friends who do both..I dont judge..

Its much more
And much less...

Long term marijuana use is a reality too, and having recently seen someone close to my family die from conditions associated with their long term use (20+ years) before they had turned 40, I for one don't think that the comparisons are either apt or accurate. I don't see marijuana use as some benign equivalent to walking the Camino, and I think it is starry-eyed to suggest that.

I can see where the author is coming from, but I also understand that the comparison to pot users will put people off: if the premise had simply been "some people are on a spiritual journey, others on a holiday" perhaps the article would generate less antipathy (although of course nobody likes their motives to be oversimplified by others).

As an aside, about her reference to the characters in The Way, I think the author completely missed the point of Joost.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am withholding my judgement (I yes, I do judge but only after I have taken the beam out of my eye) as others have said it already more eloquently than I ever could. I have a question: can you overdo your preparation? If you've read all the books, seen all the movies, shared all the blogs before you even made one step of your 10 days walk, will you have a single experience you have not read about, a single thought you have not shared already with others? It's nice to talk to others about your experience afterwards but before?

I'm really curious. I've walked many miles on St James' ways. At first, I walked into the direction of Santiago more by accident than by plan. But for me, one of the best things was that I barely knew beforehand what I will see, discover, experience. Over the years, I had met and spoken with people who did long walks (from Toulouse, Bordeaux or Le Puy to Santiago in one go). They all spoke very positively about it - and said "Do it" - but none of them told me what my feelings and experiences will be and if and how it will transform me. The first person who did that was someone who had freshly arrived in SJPdP and had never walked on a St James' way before.

In my (inexperienced view re: actually walking the CdF) "Pot and the Camino - more alike than you thought" - is a very silly and facile comparison.

If one is to have a "medicinal" i.e. "chemical" reason (excuse) for walking a Camino to SdC then I would suggest that cerveza/vino/pacharan are more healthy alternatives!

It is not for nothing that a synonym for Pot is Dope.

Living in the Bay Area, I am surrounded by pot culture, so when I saw this article in the La Concha newsletter by a NorCal peregrina, I was intrigued. Unfortunately APOC didn't post the continuation. The suspense was killing me, so Diana sent me the full article to share on my blog. Here is the full article, complete with a handy Weed vs. Way comparison chart at the end. Enjoy!
http://thecaminoprovides.com/2016/01/07/pot-and-the-camino-more-alike-than-you-thought/
dianavalle.jpg

Diana Valle

I took the article, like @rlang290, as tongue in cheek but then remembered Timothy Leary and the Good Friday experiment. A few scientists in the 1960s decided to test claims that drugs induced mystical/religious experiences. Couldn't find my annotated reference but this article gives an overview as well as follows up on the participants. Not looking to start a debate here - or add fuel to anyone's fire, just offering it up for an interesting read.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a question: can you overdo your preparation? If you've read all the books, seen all the movies, shared all the blogs before you even made one step of your 10 days walk, will you have a single experience you have not read about, a single thought you have not shared already with others? It's nice to talk to others about your experience afterwards but before?

... but none of them told me what my feelings and experiences will be and if and how it will transform me. The first person who did that was someone who had freshly arrived in SJPdP and had never walked on a St James' way before.

I have to say this also stunned me. First time I joined the Camino all I had with me that had taken some planning (was not sitting in my closert already) was a backpack, a liner, Merrel sandals and desastrous liner socks which had been recommended to be by "expert walkers".o_O

This thread could veer off to a discussion of preparedness - good or bad? I'd say either can be perfectly good, as long as the person is willing and able to be flexible and open-minded.

Living in the Bay Area, I am surrounded by pot culture, so when I saw this article in the La Concha newsletter by a NorCal peregrina, I was intrigued. Unfortunately APOC didn't post the continuation...

FWIW, the entire article is now linked on the APOC website at http://www.americanpilgrims.org/essays.

...Remember one thing:
The Camino is a reality. Very strong so. Pot is an escape from reality. Stay real.

Bravo, Alex! You captured the whole discussion in that one comment.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No, they are very different. You write a tongue-in-cheek article about the Camino and pilgrims get indignant and miss the joke. Make a joke to a pothead and you get no response at all.

No, they are very different. You write a tongue-in-cheek article about the Camino and pilgrims get indignant and miss the joke. Make a joke to a pothead and you get no response at all.
Do not joke about the Camino. It is real, (very real) and becomes a part of your life (If you want to and if your life is open to it: Happy holiday.).

Be aware, OP, that your mind could change completely in the course of your Way. This is common, actually.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do not joke about the Camino. It is real, (very real) and becomes a part of your life (If you want to and if your life is open to it: Happy holiday.).
It will be a very sad day when we cannot poke fun at ourselves, and see the humour in our lives both on and off the Camino.

Without jumping into the zealot/fanatic shoes, if the article does indeed compare pilgrims to stoners based on the recreational/medicinal divide, i dont see it as that bad an analogy. Its for me an incomplete analogy though.

I guess people walk for all sorts of reasons, and some walk for no reason. In the last few months ive seen posts from people who ant to to do it in 2-3 weeks and have or will be pushin 40+ miles per day. They for me are the recreational users. They have only an interest in finishing and getting the certificate to add to their wall of other certificates. Then we have the medicinal users who walk for a reason, maybe a loved one died, or they seek guidance, or solace. But their exists a third category, the religious/spiritual user. They walk as a point of their religion, something they must almost do, probably in the same way a muslim goes to Mecca on pilgrimage. I could mention people on here who fit that category. But i am one of them. I am also a little recreational and a little medicinal. I have many reasons for considering and doing my walk.

Now looking through the people who posted to this thread, I can see people i would like to walk with and people i would find an excuse to not walk with.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess people walk for all sorts of reasons, and some walk for no reason. In the last few months ive seen posts from people who ant to to do it in 2-3 weeks and have or will be pushin 40+ miles per day. They for me are the recreational users. They have only an interest in finishing and getting the certificate to add to their wall of other certificates. Then we have the medicinal users who walk for a reason, maybe a loved one died, or they seek guidance, or solace. But their exists a third category, the religious/spiritual user. They walk as a point of their religion, something they must almost do, probably in the same way a muslim goes to Mecca on pilgrimage.
Those different reasons are not mutually exclusive. They can be jumbled (or, ideally, "balanced.") Recreation is medicinal. Personal physical challenges can have deep meaning. Fast and slow walkers can be religious. That is why the simplistic analogy was not very satisfying to a diverse group of Camino fans.

. They for me are the recreational users. They have only an interest in finishing and getting the certificate to add to their wall of other certificates. QUOTE]

I have heard many times about that person, but have yet to meet one. It seems to be a bit of a straw man characterization. There are many recreational trails with no certificate, yet people still hike those. I have done long hikes all my life, and have not met anyone with a "wall of certificates". Most recreational hikers I know are not so fixated on finishing , but rather have the philosophy of R.L. Stevenson

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."

Sounds a bit spiritual to me.

***This article was a *** JOKE*. I did Camino for accomplishment, because I thought it's pretty cool to walk 800 kms on your own feet. If you wonder: I keep all my certificates, including Compostela, in a drawer, not on the wall. I needed no "miracle" in my life, I didn't want a change in my life, I had no religious reason, and yes, I do joke about Camino, because why ***no. It was good while it lasted, I think that it's a good thing to do, and I'm willing to help people who want to do it (that's why I check this forum out sometimes) but it didn't become a part of my life. So let's stop being so radically, deadly serious about it, and if someone wants to compare Camino to pink unicorns, then let them be.

Some of you should smoke some pot, you know, to loosen up.

*joke /dʒəʊk/noun - a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

Edited by Moderator to remove offensive language

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I was young there was a saying..."If you can't do drugs...try reality!"...I say..."If you want to try reality in a big way...try the Camino."

@Kerrygold, if this was a joke it failed the test of being funny for me. Perhaps you should accept that what you find humorous wasn't for many of us. I suspect many of us will not find your crude expression of your opinion very funny either, nor your recommendation that we should avoid reality by ingesting some drug. Or was that a joke too?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.