• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Potential Disappointment Follow Up

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

The news is extremely good.... there is not any problem with the ankle bone or the plate and screws. A mild form of giddiness because of relief at the good news is still hovering around me :)

With all of my heart and gratitude, I thank you all for your words of support and encouragement; in the midst of confusion and possible disappointment, hearing what others -- who are so enthusiastic about Camino -- had to say helped keep the wolves of despair at bay. My family and a close friend do not understand why this was not simply a case of a possible canceled vacation trip. Why doing a Camino pilgrimage is so personally meaningful. You folks filled that void with your understanding.

The entire problem centered around my training footwear. For the last two months, I've been using my heavier, above-the-ankle, mid-top Lowa boots --- which I have not used for the last four years --- and only then during winter/snow backpacking trips. I knew that the extra weight of the heavier boot (more than double the weight of my trail running shoes) would provide an extra level of strengthening to my leg muscles when I do my long and steep uphill workout hikes. My orthopedic surgeon stated that he is 99.5% certain that this was the problem. And I swear he said it with a snarky grin.... he despises backpacking, preferring bike riding.

The method I use for securing the laces of the boot was putting undue pressure against the tissue around the ankle plate. The soft tissues became slowly more inflamed as the workouts progressed, making the underlying ligaments and tendons and other stuff in there start begging for mercy. So, I'm continuing the anti-inflammatories for the next five days, stopping the hikes for the next ten days, and do daily, gentle range-of-motion exercises for the ankle; 'gentle' being the key word. :) I can also use my treadmill to do some light 'walking', but nothing even approaching a workout level of cardio; just enough to keep things movng a bit.

So, I'll be spending more time on upper body and core conditioning, which I hate. My TRX and dumb bells are laughing at me.

If the ankle feels good after ten days, then I can continue my hikes, starting with only a few miles per day on flat terrain, and then increasing both length and gradient steepness over a two week period. And I will stop using my mid-top Lowa boots. If symptoms begin to return at any time, then I need to have things checked out again with a contrast MRI.

Thank you all, again.... and I thank God for the resource of this forum; what a Blessing. This event makes me wish, even more, that I would have the opportunity to meet at least a few of you guys. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great news. Now just rest a bit and stop pushing yourself so hard. Full disclosure: I am just as bad. When I was given exercises for my back, I over did and was in pain for 2 months. Once I simply rested for a week - no pain.

I think you are leaving St Jean a few days behind us. I will be the short, grey haired lady with the blue Osprey pack decorated with a dull red sash and white palm trees on it. You will pass me in just a few days. We leave St Jean on the 9th.

.... My family and a close friend do not understand why this was not simply a case of a possible canceled vacation trip. Why doing a Camino pilgrimage is so personally meaningful. You folks filled that void with your understanding....

My older daughter begins using smartphone and internet at the age of 10. Some weeks ago I thought (but did not mention it) that you do not need almost 100% of the social media communication and that it would be better to have 'real' communication.
But if you have special interests like the Camino it is great to communicate with people with the same interests - at least, as long as you are not "on the way" to meet the real people with the same interests.

Great News!
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Excelente! Everyone says walk your own Camino at your pace and not others ... is there any irony in this case ;). Soft tissue rehab is a PITA or wherever. I tried to push through some stretches recently with my wrist and it set me back a bit rather than help. One thing that has helped reduce swelling in my wrist is heat for 10 - 15 minutes several times of day ... it increases the circulation, and elevate as much as possible. I wish you the best, just go slow during this period.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The method I use for securing the laces of the boot was putting undue pressure against the tissue around the ankle plate.
Dave, I know you have done lots of backpacking and so you may know that there are alternative lacing techniques but in case you don't checkout this webpage: https://www.backpacker.com/gear/footwear/hiking-boots/common-hiking-boot-lacing-techniques/

I hope the page is still there. My browser is getting so ancient websites are refusing to talk to it these days.

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The news is extremely good.... there is not any problem with the ankle bone or the plate and screws. A mild form of giddiness because of relief at the good news is still hovering around me :)

With all of my heart and gratitude, I thank you all for your words of support and encouragement; in the midst of confusion and possible disappointment, hearing what others -- who are so enthusiastic about Camino -- had to say helped keep the wolves of despair at bay. My family and a close friend do not understand why this was not simply a case of a possible canceled vacation trip. Why doing a Camino pilgrimage is so personally meaningful. You folks filled that void with your understanding.

The entire problem centered around my training footwear. For the last two months, I've been using my heavier, above-the-ankle, mid-top Lowa boots --- which I have not used for the last four years --- and only then during winter/snow backpacking trips. I knew that the extra weight of the heavier boot (more than double the weight of my trail running shoes) would provide an extra level of strengthening to my leg muscles when I do my long and steep uphill workout hikes. My orthopedic surgeon stated that he is 99.5% certain that this was the problem. And I swear he said it with a snarky grin.... he despises backpacking, preferring bike riding.

The method I use for securing the laces of the boot was putting undue pressure against the tissue around the ankle plate. The soft tissues became slowly more inflamed as the workouts progressed, making the underlying ligaments and tendons and other stuff in there start begging for mercy. So, I'm continuing the anti-inflammatories for the next five days, stopping the hikes for the next ten days, and do daily, gentle range-of-motion exercises for the ankle; 'gentle' being the key word. :) I can also use my treadmill to do some light 'walking', but nothing even approaching a workout level of cardio; just enough to keep things movng a bit.

So, I'll be spending more time on upper body and core conditioning, which I hate. My TRX and dumb bells are laughing at me.

If the ankle feels good after ten days, then I can continue my hikes, starting with only a few miles per day on flat terrain, and then increasing both length and gradient steepness over a two week period. And I will stop using my mid-top Lowa boots. If symptoms begin to return at any time, then I need to have things checked out again with a contrast MRI.

Thank you all, again.... and I thank God for the resource of this forum; what a Blessing. This event makes me wish, even more, that I would have the opportunity to meet at least a few of you guys. :)
I'm so glad you don't need surgery! Burn Camino....

Such good news and such a relief for you davebugg.....Keeping you in my heart and thoughts for the next wee while and praying that all continues to improve for you....:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.