• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Potential Disappointment is Tough to Handle

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

It has been a tough two days. The question keeps popping into my head, “Why does it seem that I can more easily handle physical pain, than severe disappointment?”

Three summers ago, my huge Black Lab/ Giant Schnauzer mix ran smack into me while we were playing ‘fetch’. Full speed and head on. The resulting crash and fall caused a bad ankle break which required open surgery for the reduction and realignment of the bones. A plate was installed with slightly less than a gazillion screws.

At the last post-operative visit, I was advised that after full mending, the plate could be removed, but that unless the plate actually started creating problems, that it was just fine to leave it in. In most cases, it would never be noticed. And such was the case, even when doing the Pacific Crest and Colorado Trails --- thousands of hard backpacking miles, not to mention uncounted hours of conditioning hikes and walks in between and since.

Ten days ago, an unusually aggressive and hard ache in the past-broken ankle started occurring while I was out hiking. Over the last week, the ache became very persistent and the site was very tender when palpating the area. So, I made an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon who is now evaluating the issue after a physical assessment and a series of x-rays. Although trying to be encouraging, he also stated that, depending on what he sees, I might need to have surgery to remove the plate.

If I had surgery today, I might be able to get through with recovery and therapy in time to keep the September date for my Camino. But after reviewing the Doc’s calendar, the first available surgery time isn’t until the last week in August. My place on the triage list of his patients doesn’t warrant immediate intervention, and my unbiased self agrees.

By tomorrow I should know whether surgery is needed. In the meantime, heavy-duty anti-inflammatories, applications of ice and heat, keeping a wrap on the ankle and staying away from working out are the order of the day.

My worries and potential for disappointment are not equivalent to the many severe problems in the world. Regardless, it is still a personal struggle to accept what may or may not occur. It is still a personal trial which will require an internal response to the, as yet, unknown. It occurs to me that this is one kind of spiritual exploration and strengthening that I hope occurs on my Camino. Perhaps this is a mild Spiritual pre-conditioning workout? About an hour ago I listened to a song by one of my favorite artists, Lauren Daigle. As I sat trying to prepare myself for a doctor’s decision which is unknown until perhaps tomorrow, things began to be put into perspective. I am still a bit scared, though.

I did a Google search and found the Lauren Daigle song. I thought I might share it for those who might be interested.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sorry for the disappointment of delayed plans. But most likely, that's all this entails - a delay. It's not like you only have one chance in life to walk a Camino, and now that chance is gone (at least, based on your description). Sometimes the message from the Camino is ... not yet, not this year, you'll need this more next year. I've had to delay my walks into subsequent years twice now. You will walk, for sure, another year!

Well that stinks.....potentially. Sounds like the fat lady hasn't sung just yet. In any event Dave, the Camino was there before you and I, and will still be there when we are gone. That means there's a pretty good chance it will be there when your ankle gets better too.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry to hear about this possible delay to your Camino, and I hope all works out well.
It occurs to me that this is one kind of spiritual exploration and strengthening that I hope occurs on my Camino.
Unfortunately, our personal challenges and development don't usually happen when and where we plan them! :(

I'm sorry for your turmoil. Would a silver lining help? Imagine if this had flared up on your camino - you might have had to stop and go home. At least this way you can sort the problem and then walk a celebratory camino. Cling to that!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would a silver lining help? Imagine if this had flared up on your camino - you might have had to stop and go home.
Can I suggest a silver lining to the supposed bad scenario? Starting your camino and having to stop early does not necessarily mean disaster! You would get some experience, become familiar with the routine, have opportunities for spiritual development and strengthening, meet people, and maybe get to relax somewhere in Spain. Then, you will be better prepared to go back another time.

Dave, as hard as it is to deal with any disappointment, the Camino isn't going anywhere. Your walk will be there in the spring as well as the fall.

Maybe the first Camino lessons are the hardest to learn. My lessons also began several months ago and continue today - all before I have stepped one foot out the door.

Hugs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everytime I see a new post on the Salvador FB page I feel like jumping off the couch to buy an airline ticket. And then I remember why I am sitting on the said couch: busted knee! Arghhh... I feel your pain, or at least a similar one. o_O

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Am so so sorry to hear of your disappointment today.

As Kitsambler says though......this is just a "delay" ......and a delay it is......a blip!
Have your surgery and recover and then you will be ready to get going.

Give thanks that this did not happen on the Camino and so far from home ...the outcome could have been a lot different.

We too are having a little blip......a delay!!
We should be somewhere on the Meseta right now but in June...after just walking one day from sjpdp to Roncesvelles......it was over due to illness....
A quick return home and hospital ........now all is well thank heavens!!

But you.....and us....know that the Camino will be there for our return and your journey will take place too....albeit a little later than planned

Please stay strong and let us know how you get on

And......see you on the Camino
Best wishes
Annette

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm sorry for the disappointment of delayed plans. But most likely, that's all this entails - a delay. It's not like you only have one chance in life to walk a Camino, and now that chance is gone (at least, based on your description). Sometimes the message from the Camino is ... not yet, not this year, you'll need this more next year. I've had to delay my walks into subsequent years twice now. You will walk, for sure, another year!
Sorry about your problem,but who knows,you might be able to go this year after all. Things always work out for the best,although it may not seem like at the time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola @davebugg! What a bummer! Still your philosophical approach is a rewarding positive. Yes it will be a total disappointment if you have to defer your Camino Sept 2017. But hey, the Camino has been there for a 1000 years and it will still be waiting when you are fit and ready to experience all that the Camino has to offer. Buen Camino.
(Oh and as God said to Moses "keep taking the tablets")

@davebugg Bummer! I broke my ankle water skiing when I was in my 20s. High wrap bindings on my slalom ski, really laying it down on a turn, my back foot slipped out of the binding, the ski helicoptered, and my left ankle snapped. Surgery followed, screws, cast, wheel chair ... it sucked for a while. Then I had the hardware removed about 6 months later. It was nothing like the original surgery. I cannot remember the exact recovery time frame, but I know it was nothing compared to the initial surgery. In my case the hardware was easily accessed without interfering with tendons, ligaments, etc. I hope the same is true for you.

The Camino will be there for you. I think this is already part of your Camino experience. I have read a lot of books, and posts and many have a theme of acceptance. Maybe you are developing and testing your ability to accept now. I am still planning on my Camino in September, but I cannot commit due to an injury I suffered the first day on a mini Camino with my family this past May. I wanted us to experience the Camino together, and due to our schedules we had a window before summer B semester started for the kids. We left Sarria and had a great day. About 4km away from Portomarin we were headed down a hill, and I tripped, tucked, rolled, and popped up with a broken arm. I did not say anything until we got to the bottom of the hill. My son helped me splint it, and several pilgrims stopped to offer help. I caught a taxi to Portomarin, checked into the hotel, and then took a taxi to the hospital in Lugo. It was an accident ... I was looking around and not at the trail in front of me ... I was caught up in the moment. It was the start of our trip. We were going to be in Spain for 3 weeks. I had choices, and I chose to accept my fate and not let it spoil the remainder of our vacation. The kids finished the last 100km of the Camino. I was there when they walked into Santiago. We spent some time in Santiago, and Cambados (Rias Baxis). I wish I had not broken my arm, but I had a great time in Spain with my family. I spent sometime in la catedral, and I am at peace with it. I had to have surgery when I got home, and a plate to properly reduce the bone. I am doing rehab now, and will know in about a month if I can return in September. If not, then I will shoot for next year.

Mantener la fe mi hermano!

Buena Suerte!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2013 I was 19 years old with glaucoma threatening to take the vision in both my eyes. I'd waited long enough to finally decide to get surgery that I was legally blind in my left. I'd thought that my situation was urgent, since I was losing sight rapidly and my right eye was still "good." They told me to wait 3 weeks for the first surgery, I pleaded and they changed it to a 2 week wait. After that surgery, it was another 2 weeks to get surgery on my right eye, I couldn't tell if I had lost vision or not because the eyedrops and medication I was using blurred my vision for the entire duration of waiting. By that time, my vision was/is forever changed.

I know how much it sucks to get put on a wait list, you gotta put your plans and your life on hold and it can be so inconvenient for you and your loved ones.

I wanted to walk the Camino in the summer of 2015. That May I woke one day to a redness, itchiness in my left eye. I was told it was blebitis, a serious infection occurring nearly 2 years after the surgery. Not only was I restricted to no strenuous activity, but I also had to postpone my summer plans of walking with no guarantee that the medication would actually stave off the blebitis and I was also told that I may have to get another surgery!

Luckily the infection was fought off and I didn't have to go under the knife again. I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 from SJPDP to Fisterra. :)

All you can be now is patient, whatever decision is made by your doctor. Your foot will heal, the pain will subside and you'll walk your feet off soon enough. :)

Dave, What you are experiencing is the greatest fear of those that plan for their Camino dream. I've had some of the same thoughts and pray that God keeps me healthy and strong for my own Camino. My heart really breaks for you. If it happens that you can't go this year try to trust that this as a blessing to protect you in some way. I loved the Lauren Dangle song you posted. Let those words wash over you and console you. The Camino will be there to welcome you when your body is ready.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A social media - "friend" that I know for many years had multiple sclerosis. It got worse over the years... with ups and downs, but the longterm trend was down. In this spring it got worse again and he thought about finishing his life by himself (he needed professional care for years before this). He did not want to miss the moment where he could decide this by himself. In the last week he died (natural death). This is very sad, but it is what he wanted for himself in his very bad situation with no hope for improvement in the long run.
If I had problems it helped me sometimes to look at my problem from his point of view... he would have loved to have all of my problems and not his own problems.

But of course this is not your situation. One week ago you thought you could start the Camino and now everything is uncertain. I would be VERY disappointed if this happens to me.

I wish you good luck that you get good news today and are able to start as planned.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always pray in circumstances like these let thy will be done and not mine and not I hope your will lord is the same as yours.Sometimes we don't know why things happen when they do perhaps it is just bad luck or there is a reason that is not open to our understanding. Get well my friend.

This is tough to accept..things can change at the blink of an eye... I know, my "camino"plans have made a total turn about because if circumstances at the beginning if my journey.

Disappointment is so hard to deal with when we keep over thinking the "IFS".

I wish you speedy recovery and remember the Camino will continue to be here for you. Come healthy and totally healed. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It has been a tough two days. The question keeps popping into my head, “Why does it seem that I can more easily handle physical pain, than severe disappointment?”

Three summers ago, my huge Black Lab/ Giant Schnauzer mix ran smack into me while we were playing ‘fetch’. Full speed and head on. The resulting crash and fall caused a bad ankle break which required open surgery for the reduction and realignment of the bones. A plate was installed with slightly less than a gazillion screws.

At the last post-operative visit, I was advised that after full mending, the plate could be removed, but that unless the plate actually started creating problems, that it was just fine to leave it in. In most cases, it would never be noticed. And such was the case, even when doing the Pacific Crest and Colorado Trails --- thousands of hard backpacking miles, not to mention uncounted hours of conditioning hikes and walks in between and since.

Ten days ago, an unusually aggressive and hard ache in the past-broken ankle started occurring while I was out hiking. Over the last week, the ache became very persistent and the site was very tender when palpating the area. So, I made an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon who is now evaluating the issue after a physical assessment and a series of x-rays. Although trying to be encouraging, he also stated that, depending on what he sees, I might need to have surgery to remove the plate.

If I had surgery today, I might be able to get through with recovery and therapy in time to keep the September date for my Camino. But after reviewing the Doc’s calendar, the first available surgery time isn’t until the last week in August. My place on the triage list of his patients doesn’t warrant immediate intervention, and my unbiased self agrees.

By tomorrow I should know whether surgery is needed. In the meantime, heavy-duty anti-inflammatories, applications of ice and heat, keeping a wrap on the ankle and staying away from working out are the order of the day.

My worries and potential for disappointment are not equivalent to the many severe problems in the world. Regardless, it is still a personal struggle to accept what may or may not occur. It is still a personal trial which will require an internal response to the, as yet, unknown. It occurs to me that this is one kind of spiritual exploration and strengthening that I hope occurs on my Camino. Perhaps this is a mild Spiritual pre-conditioning workout? About an hour ago I listened to a song by one of my favorite artists, Lauren Daigle. As I sat trying to prepare myself for a doctor’s decision which is unknown until perhaps tomorrow, things began to be put into perspective. I am still a bit scared, though.

I did a Google search and found the Lauren Daigle song. I thought I might share it for those who might be interested.
Dave, I sincerely hope the best outcome for your situation. I love Lauren Daigle's music/songs too, and often listen to her videos. Hopefully through the song you shared, many new listeners will be touched and encouraged in their faith by her words.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I feel your pain. My husband and I planned a camino for late August with friends we met on the Camino last year.
I had some knee pain after last years Camino. Got some cortisone shots. The insurance wouldn't ok an MRI. I felt better... until April after. A 7.5 mile hike on the Olympic peninsula.
I went back to the doc after a 3.5 mile walk that resulted in pain and no walking for 3 days.
I finally got the MRI...torn meniscus. Surgery August 8. No Camino this year. I was very disappointed. But I am accepting that my Camino fall plans have changed. We are planning a Camino in June 2018.
My mind is still full of Camino. I'm planning....what to do differently, slowing down etc. I read the forum to enjoy the Camino vicariously. I look at my pics from last year.
I'm planning my surgery recovery and training. Losing some weight to help the knees too.
I've let go of the attachment to this years Camino.
I lost an old friend last month. I know nothing is guaranteed. I let go of attachment to any outcome And I have hope that good things will happen. Like others on this forum have said,"this is your Camino."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back