Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Povoa de Varzim to Rates

DeeBee

Past OR future Camino
We are starting from Porto along the coast and are toying with the option of walking to Rates from Povoa de Varzim along the old train line/ bike route/ ERP. Watched a youtuber cycle it-it looks pretty dull, but it is off road and about 10-12 km. Has anyone done this? Would walking from Vila do Conde to Rates provide more interest? How long does the "cars too close for comfort" last? Thanks

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Flog

Past OR future Camino
I don't know about walking from Varzim across, but from Vila do Conde to Rates is a pleasant walk, apart from a short stretch on a curved cobbled street with high walls on both sides with no footpaths. Unfortunately, my experience has shown that Portuguese drivers can be very aggressive, the total opposite to Portuguese people in general..

Past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
I don't know about walking from Varzim across, but from Vila do Conde to Rates is a pleasant walk, apart from a short stretch on a curved cobbled street with high walls on both sides with no footpaths. Unfortunately, my experience has shown that Portuguese drivers can be very aggressive, the total opposite to Portuguese people in general..
agreed! I remember getting the tip of one of my poles stuck between the cobbles and causing a jam whilst I tried to wriggle it out! The drivers were not amused :) Much hooting and exchange of finger gestures :) Otherwise Portugal and its people are well worth the Camino.

Samarkand.

anfear

Past OR future Camino
June 2012, Leon to Santiago, 12 days and one of the most memorable experiences of my life so far!
Have done several Caminho 'routes' from Porto to Rates over the past few years. My partner and I also cycle the now 'paved all the way' cycleway (about 14km) from Povoa metro station to Rates and beyond regularly, most recently yesterday. We were just wondering why pilgrims don't use it more as it is much more pleasant and beautiful than the 'traditional' route - a lot of it along the road, from Vila do Conde to Rates.

Attachments

• 20210929_144210small.jpg
    20210929_144210small.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads