• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Povoa de Varzim to Rates

DeeBee

Time of past OR future Camino
We are starting from Porto along the coast and are toying with the option of walking to Rates from Povoa de Varzim along the old train line/ bike route/ ERP. Watched a youtuber cycle it-it looks pretty dull, but it is off road and about 10-12 km. Has anyone done this? Would walking from Vila do Conde to Rates provide more interest? How long does the "cars too close for comfort" last? Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know about walking from Varzim across, but from Vila do Conde to Rates is a pleasant walk, apart from a short stretch on a curved cobbled street with high walls on both sides with no footpaths. Unfortunately, my experience has shown that Portuguese drivers can be very aggressive, the total opposite to Portuguese people in general..

I don't know about walking from Varzim across, but from Vila do Conde to Rates is a pleasant walk, apart from a short stretch on a curved cobbled street with high walls on both sides with no footpaths. Unfortunately, my experience has shown that Portuguese drivers can be very aggressive, the total opposite to Portuguese people in general..
agreed! I remember getting the tip of one of my poles stuck between the cobbles and causing a jam whilst I tried to wriggle it out! The drivers were not amused :) Much hooting and exchange of finger gestures :) Otherwise Portugal and its people are well worth the Camino.

Samarkand.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have done several Caminho 'routes' from Porto to Rates over the past few years. My partner and I also cycle the now 'paved all the way' cycleway (about 14km) from Povoa metro station to Rates and beyond regularly, most recently yesterday. We were just wondering why pilgrims don't use it more as it is much more pleasant and beautiful than the 'traditional' route - a lot of it along the road, from Vila do Conde to Rates.

Attachments

• 20210929_144210small.jpg
    20210929_144210small.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Have done several Caminho 'routes' from Porto to Rates over the past few years. My partner and I also cycle the now 'paved all the way' cycleway (about 14km) from Povoa metro station to Rates and beyond regularly, most recently yesterday. We were just wondering why pilgrims don't use it more as it is much more pleasant and beautiful than the 'traditional' route - a lot of it along the road, from Vila do Conde to Rates.
anfear,
A group of five of us are walking together and would like to walk from either Vila do Conde or Povoa stations to Rates and on to Barcelos. From what I have been able to find, it looks like the distance from Vila do Conde or Povoa metro station to Barcelos is between 28-31km, depending the starting point and route taken.

It sounds like you are more than familiar with the distances and the terrain. I am wondering if that stretch seems doable on foot in a single day? And, given the options, what stretch seems more doable/interesting to you? We are reasonably fit 60-something year olds, but most of our miles are logged as cyclists, not trekkers on asphalt.
Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

You might consider detouring a bit to stop at this casa rurale.
All is very comfortable and their breakfast extremely copious! Stayed here December 2013 when driving through northern Portugal after walking to Santiago per usual.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

You might consider detouring a bit to stop at this casa rurale.
All is very comfortable and their breakfast extremely copious! Stayed here December 2013 when driving through northern Portugal after walking to Santiago per usual.
Thank you for the suggestion. It looks like a lovely place - well worth what appears to be a minor detour - and I will definitely keep it on the radar. My experiences to date have only been walking solo. Being part of a group of five (it will be the first camino for the rest of our merry band) makes for more complex considerations and planning, to say the least.

anfear,
A group of five of us are walking together and would like to walk from either Vila do Conde or Povoa stations to Rates and on to Barcelos. From what I have been able to find, it looks like the distance from Vila do Conde or Povoa metro station to Barcelos is between 28-31km, depending the starting point and route taken.

It sounds like you are more than familiar with the distances and the terrain. I am wondering if that stretch seems doable on foot in a single day? And, given the options, what stretch seems more doable/interesting to you? We are reasonably fit 60-something year olds, but most of our miles are logged as cyclists, not trekkers on asphalt.
Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!
Hi Duayne,
Sorry for late reply - unfortunately I don't often visit the forum now, since we actually live in Povoa de Varzim!

We're both well over 60 (so young!) and have done the Vila do Conde to Rates in a day, no problem. A lot depends on the temperatures during the day, as you can imagine. There are quite a few stretches along secondary roads in the VdeC > Rates route. One just has to be a bit careful as in general (but not always of course) Portuguese drivers use excessive speed inappropriately. The usual culprits (again not always) are younger males and van drivers, as you can imagine!

However, a further 10 minutes on the metro and you're in Povoa de Varzim, and the start of the paved ecovia / cycleway is within 100 metres or so of the metro station. The distance from the Povoa metro right to the middle of Rates (the albergue) is 14km and following the ecovia couldn't be easier! You'd be in the open countryside after about 2 or 3km from the start. To me it's the obvious choice and it's very pleasant, quiet countryside.

Send me a private message if you'd like to exchange emails, or cell numbers. If we're not otherwise occupied at the time we could walk part of the route to Rates with you, although we normally cycle to Fontainhas, a furhter 3km, for their delicious coffee and pastries! (pasteis de nata!)

Wishing you a great Caminho!

As a group of 4 we also walked from Vila do Conde through Rated to Barcelos in one day. It was quite doable, the terrain was very manageable. We picked up a very helpful map at the tourist office in Vila do Conde for directions out of town. When you know you have a longer day ahead then you pace yourself. There is a fun market in Barcelos on Thursdays. From Barcelona to Casa Fernanda is a shorter day.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a group of 4 we also walked from Vila do Conde through Rated to Barcelona in one day. It was quite doable, the terrain was very manageable. We picked up a very helpful map at the tourist office in Vila do Conde for directions out of town. When you know you have a longer day ahead then you pace yourself. There is a fun market in Barcelona on Thursdays. From Barcelona to Casa Fernanda is a shorter day.
Thanks, that's great information to have!

Hi Duayne,
Sorry for late reply - unfortunately I don't often visit the forum now, since we actually live in Povoa de Varzim!

We're both well over 60 (so young!) and have done the Vila do Conde to Rates in a day, no problem. A lot depends on the temperatures during the day, as you can imagine. There are quite a few stretches along secondary roads in the VdeC > Rates route. One just has to be a bit careful as in general (but not always of course) Portuguese drivers use excessive speed inappropriately. The usual culprits (again not always) are younger males and van drivers, as you can imagine!

However, a further 10 minutes on the metro and you're in Povoa de Varzim, and the start of the paved ecovia / cycleway is within 100 metres or so of the metro station. The distance from the Povoa metro right to the middle of Rates (the albergue) is 14km and following the ecovia couldn't be easier! You'd be in the open countryside after about 2 or 3km from the start. To me it's the obvious choice and it's very pleasant, quiet countryside.

Send me a private message if you'd like to exchange emails, or cell numbers. If we're not otherwise occupied at the time we could walk part of the route to Rates with you, although we normally cycle to Fontainhas, a furhter 3km, for their delicious coffee and pastries! (pasteis de nata!)

Thank you for this great information! I will definitely send a private message to ask a couple more questions. I must admit, sitting here in my office on a 15 degree (farenheit) Chicago day makes me more than a little jealous of you living in coastal Portugal :).

Hi Duayne,

Hi Duayne

I want to walk this route, guessing it will be 4th May. Will I find it easy enough to find the route from Vila de Conde to the start and then to rates? I will be in my own so slightly concerned I will get lost but sounds a lovely route rather than road? Any tips for navigation gratefully received. Helen x

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Helen,
We took the train to Povoa de Varzim (a couple stops past Vila de Conde), got off the train turned away from the coast (eastward) and walked right onto the bike/pedestrian path. See photo. Super easy, and hard to get lost. It’s a pretty good walk on the bike path. We got off the bike path to walk on the road as it seemed shorter, not sure it really was. In hindsight I would have stayed the course on the path as there was very limited shade along the road and, if you recall, Portugal was blistering hot last May. Wow.
We had lunch in Rates and spent some time in the historic church there before walking on to Barcelos, very close to a 30k walk overall, probably a bit too much for our group as it was our first day walking, terribly hot and all (or nearly all) walking on pavement.
Hope you have a wonderful camino!
F3748403-9F90-4EFE-B9CA-0EC243DC355B.jpeg

Hi Duayne

I want to walk this route, guessing it will be 4th May. Will I find it easy enough to find the route from Vila de Conde to the start and then to rates? I will be in my own so slightly concerned I will get lost but sounds a lovely route rather than road? Any tips for navigation gratefully received. Helen x
It wasn't a problem at all for me when I walked in 2018. Immediately after crossing the bridge into Vila do Conde I turned right and walked west along the north shore of the river. It wasn't long at all before I started seeing the yellow arrows and I just followed them to Arcos, where I joined the Central and followed the Central signage to Rates.

Thank you for this information - exactly what I have been looking for as we plan our cut-across route for our October Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have done several Caminho 'routes' from Porto to Rates over the past few years. My partner and I also cycle the now 'paved all t
Hi Duayne,

Thank you, I've been looking for this information for a couple of weeks. We'll be following your suggested crossover around June 30th!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back