• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Powder shampoo - this looks like it would be great for the Camino

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
An ad for this popped up on my Facebook feed. It looks like it would be great for the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds a better option than the 'dry' shampoos (interim fix, not daily use) which have been around for many years. I'm with @domigee ...try before departure!
Having long-ish hair, I'm always seeking less weighty (& leaky...) alternatives. I've got a dry shampoo to experiment with & also one of those soap shampoo block types...but I seem to innately not trust/like them! 😄
Would be interested in an opinion if anyone tries it.
For non-US residents it could be cost prohibitive considering exchange rate & postage. 😒
👣 🌏

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been using bar shampoo almost exclusively since I discovered it for my first Camino, but I think that the powder idea is intriguing.

If anyone is interested in a good bar shampoo and/or conditioner, forum member @JillGat makes great ones!

I'm game for trying it. I have hair that easily gets dry and tangly. Before I have use bar shampoo and carry a travel sized conditioner.
At first I was surprised at the price, but they say one bottle was 4 regular shampoo bottles and the mini was one shampoo bottle.
If you are willing to give your soul (or email in this case) you can try the mini for $5 with free shipping. I ordered it. I find that since my Camino is at least a year away (between work and covid) I have been spending time trying new great. ETA I meant gear

I'll update when it finally gets here, I live in the middle of nowhere so it will probably take a while before it gets here.

Last edited:
I'm game for trying it. I have hair that easily gets dry and tangly. Before I have use bar shampoo and carry a travel sized conditioner.
At first I was surprised at the price, but they say one bottle was 4 regular shampoo bottles and the mini was one shampoo bottle.
If you are willing to give your soul (or email in this case) you can try the mini for $5 with free shipping. I ordered it. I find that since my Camino is at least a year away (between work and covid) I have been spending time trying new great.

I'll update when it finally gets here, I live in the middle of nowhere so it will probably take a while before it gets here.
I just ordered the mini for $5 too, though the site was a little confusing, because it said that there would be a code revealed "below." I just continued on to the payment page after I put it in my cart, and the discount showed up when I checked out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been using bar shampoo almost exclusively since I discovered it for my first Camino, but I think that the powder idea is intriguing.

If anyone is interested in a good bar shampoo and/or conditioner, forum member @JillGat makes great ones!
I've been looking for a good conditioner, I'll give her a try.

There are very few upsides as you get older and your hair starts to disappear. But it is short, easy to maintain and words like 'hair conditioner' are simply not part of my lexicon. Sometimes being a boy is easier....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like these pocket soaps from Sea to summit. They have several choices: shampoo, shaving, laundry and more. I bought them all and the ingredients are similar so one could get by with just the body wash for everything. Because this year's Camino was not to be I have only tried them at home but my socks came out clean and fresh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200806-053442.png
    Screenshot_20200806-053442.png
    318.4 KB · Views: 19
I just ordered the mini for $5 too, though the site was a little confusing, because it said that there would be a code revealed "below." I just continued on to the payment page after I put it in my cart, and the discount showed up when I checked out.

Pity the offer is valid for the US only.
The rest of us will await critiques from you & @AZgirl ! 💆‍♀️
👣 🌏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Does she have an online or Etsy store or is it just DM her? We use them and are always looking for good sources.

I figured I was only out $5 if I didn’t get. I received a confirmation right away and within 30 minutes I received an email saying it had shipped. Hope it is as good as their service.

I've been looking for a good conditioner, I'll give her a try.
You can also try Ethique bar soaps and yes they do have sample sizes from new zealand you can buy on Amazon. I used it on my last camino shampoo and conditioner and they are amazing. I have a lot of hair waist length simular dry sometimes and easily tangled. Website below if you want to check it out...I have no commercial affiliation

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does she have an online or Etsy store or is it just DM her? We use them and are always looking for good sources.
This is Jill's Etsy shop

Perhaps only for Europeans, but Yves Rocher has a highly concentrated shampoo, just two drops needed and my Camino hair (now in CF, Portos, aim to arrive in SDC on Sunday) looks very good. The Germans would say “Ich hab die Haare shön”.

There are shops and hairdressers in Spain. Buy a bottle of shampoo and leave it for the next person?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used the Lush shampoo bar. You have to let it air dry a bit before repacking it, but it was great. I use them at home now and alternate between my 3 favorites. I also now use “ dirty mouth” tooth powder. Thanks CdN!

I use a shampoo bar too. Works very well, even wash my clothes with it

I received my mini container of the powder shampoo. I've used it once so far, and it worked well. My concern is if it will get clumpy in the container due to humidity in the shower. I plan to use it exclusively until it's gone, and I'm keeping track of how long it lasts. The mini weighs less than once ounce.

I just use the same bar of soap I wash my body with! As with many things I have never felt the need to get something especially for the camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.