Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Powder toothpaste?

Anthony18

Year of past OR future Camino
Hello Pilgrims. Just booked my tickets for next year's camino, so I'm compiling my shopping list! Wondering if you have any recommendations for powder forms of: toothpaste, shampoo, cologne. I don't want to pack liquids. Thanks in advance for help.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Good thinking! I remember tooth powder being used when I was a child. I haven't seen it round but if it is I'm sure one of our members will know.

Shampoo does come in a soap or a cream, which is more concentrated that liquid, I'm now sure about powder. And cologne (or perfume) comes in a gel. I personally find an antiperspirant cream useful - it also works to prevent chaffing (same active ingredient).

Pilger Gal

El Norte (2016) (2017)
Hi Anthony. How exciting to book flights and start the preparations! My husband and I discovered Lush products several years back and love them. They have something called toothy tabs that look like pills you chew up and then brush. 80 to a bottle. Also you may want to try there solid shampoo and conditioner. If you are unsure about how they work, they offer samples and Lush sponsors many charity projects throughout the world. A win win for all.

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-19
Eco-Dent makes a tooth powder; comes in small, 2 oz bottles, very tasty and works well. Available at the usual online and outfitter retailers.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

hel&scott

Veteran Member
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
There are bar forms of shampoo and conditioner (think soap bar rather then liquid) we use a brand called Lush which works well even with my long hair. You can also use the shampoo bar for hand washing clothes, does ok on the lightweight quick dry gear.

As kids tramping we used to use salt or at times baking soda to clean our teeth, doesn't take much and works ok, but not something I am keen on repeating. It's easy enough to pick up a small tube of toothpaste in Spain.

Teej41

April/May 2018
Hi Anthony. How exciting to book flights and start the preparations! My husband and I discovered Lush products several years back and love them. They have something called toothy tabs that look like pills you chew up and then brush. 80 to a bottle. Also you may want to try there solid shampoo and conditioner. If you are unsure about how they work, they offer samples and Lush sponsors many charity projects throughout the world. A win win for all.
Hi Anthony
I'll be the second person to nominate Lush's Toothy Tabs. I've never used them but we have a store close by and I will be taking a bottle with me in 4 weeks time for the start of my first Camino. When I return I'll post you a review.
Buen Camino.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
I second baking soda at a push but the hygienist at my dentist's will dole out handfuls of "sample" tubes of toothpaste. Anybody remember the travel sized tubes of Crest? Everything here (UK) seems to be family sized.

You can get pots of solid cologne (a bit like tubs of Vaseline) - certainly Lush (also in UK) sell one called Dirty which isn't too bad - after a couple of weeks on the Camino, no matter how hard you rub and scrub, your clothes will build up an "essence". Walking past an immaculately dressed Abuelo who has had a light splash of cologne always makes me feel skanky so solid cologne!

spursfan

Veteran Member
This seems a strange objective - my carry-on plastic bag for liquids contains a deodorant, bar of Lush soap and a small tube of toothpaste - typically the smallest tube of toothpaste that you can buy is 50ml but there are also 15ml sample tubes so I can't see the advantage in choosing powder toothpaste

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Tim Floyd

Frances 2017
TDMB 2016
Cotswold Way 2018
Portugues 2021
Also used the Lush tabs. Not terribly pleasant but they got the job done. You need to keep them in an airtight bag because they absorb moisture. After they ran out I just bought a small tube of toothpaste. Tasted better and easier to manage in my pack.

holhum

Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
I experimented with tooth powder on a recent trip to Bali....left it there, messy, didn't taste good, and the container was larger than a small tube of toothpaste. I could have decanted it but given the other factors I am just going to stick with a small tube of real toothpaste. On a side note, I did buy some bamboo toothbrushes and they worked out well. Trying to use less plastic, which is harder than I realised!

D

Deleted member 67185

In my humble opinion, colognes and perfumes should be reserved for private accomodations. Too many folks with too many artificial scents in dormitory settings can make those with chemical sensitivities very uncomfortable. And while not sensitive myself, I do find them annoying and intrusive :)

TatiLie

Camino Portugues Variante Espiritual July 2019
Finisterre next!
As a dentist, I advise against using non-fluoride toothpaste for a prolonged time. If you discuss this with your dentist they might help you with some regular toothpaste samples.

In another thread there was a very good suggestion by Sorrel:
Take a sheet of wax paper, put 80 dabs of toothpaste on it and let them dry. When dry, roll the half-pea sized dabs between your fingers and drop them into a tiny zip-top plastic bag (like that from a piece of jewelry) with a bit of baking soda. Every morning and eve you can brush your teeth by chewing up a little ball of toothpaste, then brush with the wet brush.

And don't forget in between your teeth. TePe brand has some nice interdental brushes that are very light and long wearing (EasyPick).

Teej41

April/May 2018
As a dentist, I advise against using non-fluoride toothpaste for a prolonged time. If you discuss this with your dentist they might help you with some regular toothpaste samples.

In another thread there was a very good suggestion by Sorrel:

And don't forget in between your teeth. TePe brand has some nice interdental brushes that are very light and long wearing (EasyPick).
Never argue with a dentist. I shall try this 80 dabs recipe. I've got baking soda and a small zip lock bag. As long as I don't take more than 40 days to do the Camino I'll be ok. I had already intended to take a couple of those little TePe brushes with me and it's reassuring to see your professional endorsement of them.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino

Anthony18

Thanks, I will check them out. :)

Anthony18

Hi Anthony
I'll be the second person to nominate Lush's Toothy Tabs. I've never used them but we have a store close by and I will be taking a bottle with me in 4 weeks time for the start of my first Camino. When I return I'll post you a review.
Buen Camino.
Thanks. Looking forward to your review. Buen Camino!

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
Instead of antiperspirant, which attempts to stop the natural sweating process, or deodorant, whick masks smell by adding another and can cause a stink (see what I did there?) in communal rooms, please consider this little gem. This travel version weighs only 50g, it is natural, solid, and actually fights sweaty whiffs without covering them up! Just wet, rub on clean skin and go. My husband and I have used them for years and they are gold on the camino as they stop you and also your clothes stinking.

LeiaLane

2016 Camino France, 2017 Le Puy.
Tooth powder: Amazon or Whole Foods has it.
Shampoo: There are Shampoo bar. I don’t like the idea of soap containers (wet soap....), got mesh bags for both shampoo bar and body soap (also use it for laundry) from Bed Bath and beyond. I got shampoo powder from Japan, love it! Not sure if it’s any in US market.
Face cleansing powder:

JoEllen

Hello Pilgrims. Just booked my tickets for next year's camino, so I'm compiling my shopping list! Wondering if you have any recommendations for powder forms of: toothpaste, shampoo, cologne. I don't want to pack liquids. Thanks in advance for help.

I use baking soda for toothpaste all the time. It really cleans your teeth and mouth, but there is no fluoride. At home, I use a fluoride rinse in addition, but for 35 days, I probably wouldn't worry about the rinse.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Frances - 2009
Portuguese Interior (2014)
Hadrian's Wall (2017)
Porto to SdC ( Seaside) 2019
I've seen it mentioned before, but I use Ecodent 100% of the time now. My dentist seems to think that it works well for me. I like the taste and it's not only light but easy to handle and won't "squash" everywhere! A 2 oz. bottle seems to last a long time. I only fill a bottle up about a 1/3 for trips - read "Caminos"...

Ballari

Walking Quietly
SJ-SdC Ap-May14
Navx-Muxia Mar-Ap17
SJ-SdC May17
SJ-Fterre F-Mar18
SJ-Muxia F-Mar19
Porto-SdC May19

Anthony18

Instead of antiperspirant, which attempts to stop the natural sweating process, or deodorant, whick masks smell by adding another and can cause a stink (see what I did there?) in communal rooms, please consider this little gem. This travel version weighs only 50g, it is natural, solid, and actually fights sweaty whiffs without covering them up! Just wet, rub on clean skin and go. My husband and I have used them for years and they are gold on the camino as they stop you and also your clothes stinking.
Thanks. I've added it to my list. :)

CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Take bar soap and use it for bath and shampoo.
Take a travel tube of any toothpaste you like.
Replace it easy when you run out.

Please do NOT take cologne. Please. Especially if you will be staying in albergues. Many people, like me, have MCS or allergies and it will give us a migraine. There's no need to perfume up.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Malachiuri

CaminoTranquilo
St Jean to Burgos '17
St Jean to Fisterra '18
St Jean to Astorga '20
COVID CAMINO!
Norte '21
Ditto what Anniesantiago said above. Unless you want them for experimentation sake, you really don't have to mess with fussy backpackers toiletries.

Consider you will be walking from village to village, bar to bar, market to market. You have hundreds of opportunities to buy little soaps, travel toothpastes, etc. The Camino has been around for a while now, they know how to take care of ya...

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads