• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Powder toothpaste?

Anthony18

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Pilgrims. Just booked my tickets for next year's camino, so I'm compiling my shopping list! Wondering if you have any recommendations for powder forms of: toothpaste, shampoo, cologne. I don't want to pack liquids. Thanks in advance for help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good thinking! I remember tooth powder being used when I was a child. I haven't seen it round but if it is I'm sure one of our members will know.

Shampoo does come in a soap or a cream, which is more concentrated that liquid, I'm now sure about powder. And cologne (or perfume) comes in a gel. I personally find an antiperspirant cream useful - it also works to prevent chaffing (same active ingredient).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Anthony. How exciting to book flights and start the preparations! My husband and I discovered Lush products several years back and love them. They have something called toothy tabs that look like pills you chew up and then brush. 80 to a bottle. Also you may want to try there solid shampoo and conditioner. If you are unsure about how they work, they offer samples and Lush sponsors many charity projects throughout the world. A win win for all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are bar forms of shampoo and conditioner (think soap bar rather then liquid) we use a brand called Lush which works well even with my long hair. You can also use the shampoo bar for hand washing clothes, does ok on the lightweight quick dry gear.

As kids tramping we used to use salt or at times baking soda to clean our teeth, doesn't take much and works ok, but not something I am keen on repeating. It's easy enough to pick up a small tube of toothpaste in Spain.

Hi Anthony. How exciting to book flights and start the preparations! My husband and I discovered Lush products several years back and love them. They have something called toothy tabs that look like pills you chew up and then brush. 80 to a bottle. Also you may want to try there solid shampoo and conditioner. If you are unsure about how they work, they offer samples and Lush sponsors many charity projects throughout the world. A win win for all.
Hi Anthony
I'll be the second person to nominate Lush's Toothy Tabs. I've never used them but we have a store close by and I will be taking a bottle with me in 4 weeks time for the start of my first Camino. When I return I'll post you a review.
Buen Camino.

I second baking soda at a push but the hygienist at my dentist's will dole out handfuls of "sample" tubes of toothpaste. Anybody remember the travel sized tubes of Crest? Everything here (UK) seems to be family sized.

You can get pots of solid cologne (a bit like tubs of Vaseline) - certainly Lush (also in UK) sell one called Dirty which isn't too bad - after a couple of weeks on the Camino, no matter how hard you rub and scrub, your clothes will build up an "essence". Walking past an immaculately dressed Abuelo who has had a light splash of cologne always makes me feel skanky so solid cologne!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This seems a strange objective - my carry-on plastic bag for liquids contains a deodorant, bar of Lush soap and a small tube of toothpaste - typically the smallest tube of toothpaste that you can buy is 50ml but there are also 15ml sample tubes so I can't see the advantage in choosing powder toothpaste

Also used the Lush tabs. Not terribly pleasant but they got the job done. You need to keep them in an airtight bag because they absorb moisture. After they ran out I just bought a small tube of toothpaste. Tasted better and easier to manage in my pack.

I experimented with tooth powder on a recent trip to Bali....left it there, messy, didn't taste good, and the container was larger than a small tube of toothpaste. I could have decanted it but given the other factors I am just going to stick with a small tube of real toothpaste. On a side note, I did buy some bamboo toothbrushes and they worked out well. Trying to use less plastic, which is harder than I realised!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my humble opinion, colognes and perfumes should be reserved for private accomodations. Too many folks with too many artificial scents in dormitory settings can make those with chemical sensitivities very uncomfortable. And while not sensitive myself, I do find them annoying and intrusive :)

As a dentist, I advise against using non-fluoride toothpaste for a prolonged time. If you discuss this with your dentist they might help you with some regular toothpaste samples.

In another thread there was a very good suggestion by Sorrel:
Take a sheet of wax paper, put 80 dabs of toothpaste on it and let them dry. When dry, roll the half-pea sized dabs between your fingers and drop them into a tiny zip-top plastic bag (like that from a piece of jewelry) with a bit of baking soda. Every morning and eve you can brush your teeth by chewing up a little ball of toothpaste, then brush with the wet brush.

And don't forget in between your teeth. TePe brand has some nice interdental brushes that are very light and long wearing (EasyPick).

As a dentist, I advise against using non-fluoride toothpaste for a prolonged time. If you discuss this with your dentist they might help you with some regular toothpaste samples.

In another thread there was a very good suggestion by Sorrel:

And don't forget in between your teeth. TePe brand has some nice interdental brushes that are very light and long wearing (EasyPick).
Never argue with a dentist. I shall try this 80 dabs recipe. I've got baking soda and a small zip lock bag. As long as I don't take more than 40 days to do the Camino I'll be ok. I had already intended to take a couple of those little TePe brushes with me and it's reassuring to see your professional endorsement of them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, I will check them out. :)

Hi Anthony
I'll be the second person to nominate Lush's Toothy Tabs. I've never used them but we have a store close by and I will be taking a bottle with me in 4 weeks time for the start of my first Camino. When I return I'll post you a review.
Buen Camino.
Thanks. Looking forward to your review. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Instead of antiperspirant, which attempts to stop the natural sweating process, or deodorant, whick masks smell by adding another and can cause a stink (see what I did there?) in communal rooms, please consider this little gem. This travel version weighs only 50g, it is natural, solid, and actually fights sweaty whiffs without covering them up! Just wet, rub on clean skin and go. My husband and I have used them for years and they are gold on the camino as they stop you and also your clothes stinking.

Tooth powder: Amazon or Whole Foods has it.
Shampoo: There are Shampoo bar. I don’t like the idea of soap containers (wet soap....), got mesh bags for both shampoo bar and body soap (also use it for laundry) from Bed Bath and beyond. I got shampoo powder from Japan, love it! Not sure if it’s any in US market.
Face cleansing powder:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Pilgrims. Just booked my tickets for next year's camino, so I'm compiling my shopping list! Wondering if you have any recommendations for powder forms of: toothpaste, shampoo, cologne. I don't want to pack liquids. Thanks in advance for help.

I use baking soda for toothpaste all the time. It really cleans your teeth and mouth, but there is no fluoride. At home, I use a fluoride rinse in addition, but for 35 days, I probably wouldn't worry about the rinse.

I've seen it mentioned before, but I use Ecodent 100% of the time now. My dentist seems to think that it works well for me. I like the taste and it's not only light but easy to handle and won't "squash" everywhere! A 2 oz. bottle seems to last a long time. I only fill a bottle up about a 1/3 for trips - read "Caminos"...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Instead of antiperspirant, which attempts to stop the natural sweating process, or deodorant, whick masks smell by adding another and can cause a stink (see what I did there?) in communal rooms, please consider this little gem. This travel version weighs only 50g, it is natural, solid, and actually fights sweaty whiffs without covering them up! Just wet, rub on clean skin and go. My husband and I have used them for years and they are gold on the camino as they stop you and also your clothes stinking.
Thanks. I've added it to my list. :)

Take bar soap and use it for bath and shampoo.
Take a travel tube of any toothpaste you like.
Replace it easy when you run out.

Please do NOT take cologne. Please. Especially if you will be staying in albergues. Many people, like me, have MCS or allergies and it will give us a migraine. There's no need to perfume up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ditto what Anniesantiago said above. Unless you want them for experimentation sake, you really don't have to mess with fussy backpackers toiletries.

Consider you will be walking from village to village, bar to bar, market to market. You have hundreds of opportunities to buy little soaps, travel toothpastes, etc. The Camino has been around for a while now, they know how to take care of ya...

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.