• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Power ADAPTER for charging cell phone?

Kevin Malinak

-kevin-
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, St Jean PdP, March 18 (2018)
Hello, I've narrowed it down to only 2 choices... Which of these is the correct one for France, Spain, Portugal? Both are identical except the diameter of the pins.
The one with the small diameter? Or,
The one with the large diameter?
Sorry if this is a duplicate question, but I could not find the answer using the search.
IMG_20180218_162308128.jpgIMG_20180218_164548941.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the link, but it didn't show the diameters of the pins. I don't have the packaging, but i see there's words on the side, one says So-Europe(sm dia), other says Nor-Europe(lg dia).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for the link, but it didn't show the diameters of the pins. I don't have the packaging, but i see there's words on the side, one says So-Europe(sm dia), other says Nor-Europe(lg dia).

Probably refers to South and North Europe?
I would guess the smaller diameter will be the right one.

Having lived and travelled in Europe, my 'gut feel' is that both will work.
What would I do?
Take both ......

If they both work, give one away.
If one works........toss the other one ;);)

I thought that this thread was going to be about a power adapter/converter, which isn't necessary for phone chargers as they can work with multiple voltages.
I actually bought a European plug charger with two USB ports on Amazon. That way I couldn't accidentally leave the adapter in the outlet. One trick for that is to tape the adapter to the plug.

Hard to tell in the pic.
Both may work.

This type of plug adaptor can be purchased in many stores in Spain.

Take both.

Didn't know there is a S and a N Europe plug like those. My suspicion is both will work.

If you want to plug in USB, you can buy in Spain a USB charger that has the proper plug on it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I brought the fatter one to Spain with me and promptly left it in an outlet. So, take Trecile's advice and tape the charger to the adapter. Anyway, I went to a hardware store and bought a replacement which had the smaller prongs. The store clerk swore that it was the right size and stuck it in an outlet to show me. So I bought it. It fell out of almost every outlet I ever plugged it into. It would make contact ok, the prongs just didn't have the girth necessary to stay plugged in. My advice is also to bring both.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The smaller pins work in France, Spain and Portugal. It is easy to buy one when you get to Spain. Preferably with at least two usb ports so you can share with others in your albergue!

For a definitive list of all the pins used throughout the world - and you can see that several may be used in Europe (the two pin types). https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

I think you'll find the thinner (4mm pin) so-called Europlug or C-type on low power appliances such as bedside lights. the socket won't take the larger pin (4.8mm) to prevent a higher demand appliance (such as an iron or heating coil) from tripping out the power supply. The socket tends to be a flatish plate with just two holes in it:

1519032858597.png and the plug looks like this 1519033093888.png

The other socket (4.8mm pin) called a Schuko in Germany is more deeply recessed and looks like this:

1519032934562.png and takes plugs like this 1519032982400.png

which you'll see on fridges, washing machines etc.

Obviously you can fit a C into a Schuko but not the other way around. If you do use a C plug in a Schuko socket the trick is to gently squeeze the 4mm pins towards each other then it won't wobble so much and fall out.

Considering the size and weight of the adaptors I'd take both - you don't want to be in a situation where your room only has C type sockets and you have a Schuko adaptor!

Hope this helps

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think I have both thin and fat prongs on my continental European plugs. Here are some photos that you can compare. The fat prongs are from my MacBook Pro bought in France. The others are for my toothbrush, two-way radio and camera. I hope this helps. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
Bought the adapt in Spain with 4 USB socket's wife farther in law and me worked great and bonus it also works in Thailand.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, I've narrowed it down to only 2 choices... Which of these is the correct one for France, Spain, Portugal? Both are identical except the diameter of the pins.
The one with the small diameter? Or,
The one with the large diameter?
Sorry if this is a duplicate question, but I could not find the answer using the search.
View attachment 39549View attachment 39550
The smaller diameter pins are the right ones.

I want to thank you all for all the great advise and all the time and effort you have given. You are a blessing to me, thanks again, -kevin-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.