• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Power outlets in albergues?

Mentha_piperita

Hi,
I was wondering whether anyone could advise me on whether or not there are power outlets in many of the refuges along the VdlP. I've got a medical device that will need charging every 2 - 3 days, though my life won't be in immediate peril if I don't have it charged for a few days. Thanks, and buen camino to all.

--Mentha

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are outlets. In the modern places, there are multiple outlets for cell phone charging. Take a plug adapter if you do not have the Spanish two-prong plug.

I never had any problem getting access to an electric outlet in any of the albergues. In addition to the plug adapter, I would suggest getting another adapter that will convert a regular adapter (Spanish outlets) to multiple outlets so you can share the same outlet if somebody else is already using it. - Ramon

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are on the VDLP at the moment and there seem to be options in all the albergues for charging up all our modern day appliances. The only problem I envisage is security. If there is a socket near your bed, I reckon it is OK to charge overnight otherwise I tend to wait until we get to a casa, where there is definitely more security, and if you are lucky, a door to lock.
Having said that, in Fuente, a Spanish guy left his phone charging overnight in the loos, having pulled out the plug to the hand drier and leaving his phone precariously sitting on top of the drier!
I thought this was a tad gung ho, but it was still there in the morning even though I changed plugs to dry my hands!!!! Good luck.
I have also found free wifi connections in some of the casas, so could use my phone for blogs and the internet, freeing up the lap top for other pilgrims! I even found free wifi in a restaurant in Fuente! What a place (you see, I am a bit attached to the grandchildren at home. Walking nomads.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back