• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Practical questions.

Kaiso

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
I'm planning my first Camino and had some questions. I recognize everyone is different, as are their choices, but I hope to glean some consensus on a few things.

I tend to pack too much when I travel. (less than most, but still too much) As related to clothing, what is necessary for a Camino. e.g. how many pants, socks, underwear, etc?
How does one handle doing laundry? How often, carry soap, local vendor, etc?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kaiso,
Welcome to the Forum.
Most of us who walk do our own laundry, usually every day, which means carrying some kind of multipurpose soap that’s good for showering and washing clothes. Most places have drying racks or clotheslines for pilgrim use.
Having said that, there are some albergues that have laundry facilities, and it is indeed bliss to have some newly machine-washed clothing to walk in.
This allows us to pack light, with only one set of clothes to wear, and maybe another to dry overnight. I usually bring two synthetic t-shirts, a pair of nylon sports shorts, and tech pants, with three pairs of merino socks.
Add to this the usual weather-dependent clothes such as jackets, hats, gloves, rain gear, base layers, etc., plus shoes of some sort for after walking.
All of this stuff gets washed by hand by me, some of it every day. It’s a routine that I’ve become accustomed to, and it works for me.
There are other things that go into my pack, but they aren’t relevant to washing and wearing.
All the best, and buen Camino.

Paul

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm planning my first Camino too and this often crosses my mind. Hopefully you have a few months to keep reading and gathering insight like you're doing. I'm thinking I'll challenge myself to bring much less than I normally take and if necessary, I'll buy that something extra on the trail. I'm going in September on the Camino Frances. As regards just clothing, I'm thinking 2 short sleeve tees, 1 long sleeve, 2 buckle-in-the-back bras, 3 undies, 3 pairs socks plus liners for each, 1 pair zip-off pant legs pants, 1 pair shorts. 1 rain jacket. 1 buff. and probably a fleece or I may just purchase one there. Buen Camino!!

What is necessary is simply:
  1. One set of walking clothes, in layers (light, thin layers are better than single heavier material) as necessary to handle all the weather conditions that are likely to happen.
  2. Something to wear while your walking clothes are being washed and dried. That includes some footwear for the times when your walking shoes need to dry.

I'm planning my first Camino too and this often crosses my mind. Hopefully you have a few months to keep reading and gathering insight like you're doing. I'm thinking I'll challenge myself to bring much less than I normally take and if necessary, I'll buy that something extra on the trail. I'm going in September on the Camino Frances. As regards just clothing, I'm thinking 2 short sleeve tees, 1 long sleeve, 2 buckle-in-the-back bras, 3 undies, 3 pairs socks plus liners for each, 1 pair zip-off pant legs pants, 1 pair shorts. 1 rain jacket. 1 buff. and probably a fleece or I may just purchase one there. Buen Camino!!
This sounds very sensible. But, as I stated earlier: Use the Search function on top right: You will get days and days of reading details about this/these issue(s).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks all. Just the "One set of walking clothes" is info I'd have not known. I am planning some time in cities (Barcelona, Madrid, etc ) before embarking on my walk. I hope to have some of this ironed out before stepping onto the trail.

Thanks all. Just the "One set of walking clothes" is info I'd have not known. I am planning some time in cities (Barcelona, Madrid, etc ) before embarking on my walk. I hope to have some of this ironed out before stepping onto the trail.
I do some traveling before and after my Caminos. I bring a suitcase with my pre and post Camino things and send it to Santiago. It's so exciting to have something different to wear after a month or so when I reach Santiago!

Here is a hyperlink to my packing list.

As far as laundry goes, look on youtube for a scrubba video. It is basically what I do, but with one of my silnylon dry bags. Then, I put the clothes in my towel and wring out as much of the water as possible before putting it on the line. I use the liquid hand soap if there is any, or I get my wash cloth lathered up from my shampoo bar.

I am a convert to the Lush Toothy Fairy, Crème de Menthe mouthwash tabs, and Honey I Washed My Hair shampoo bar. I dry my shampoo bar in the square tin before packing it away. The shampoo bar is supported by a couple of hair bungees. The square tin makes it easier to dry and access the shampoo bar.

¡Buena suerte! :D:cool:

Attachments

• Lush Shampoo Bar.JPG
    Lush Shampoo Bar.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As far as laundry goes, look on youtube for a scrubba video. It is basically what I do, but with one of my silnylon dry bags.
That's exactly what I do. My 12 liter Osprey dry bag which weighs 1.2 ounces/34 gm is perfect for this. As I undress for the shower I put my clothes in with warm water and soap. And let everything soak while I'm showering and dressing. Then I shake the bag to agitate it before emptying it out and rinsing in the laundry sink. My clothes come out cleaner than when I washed them in the laundry sinks at the albergues.

Kaiso, it helps to take things that can do double-duty, such as yoga pants/cycling pants that can be hiked in or used for pajama bottoms, a scarf that can be draped for privacy, provide warmth on cold mornings, and dress up hiking clothes while sightseeing in a city. Also, if you go to a thrift store, you can buy things that you wouldn't mind ditching somewhere in a donation box for other hikers who might need items, thus lightening your pack weight should you decide you can do with less. Lastly, if you're doing the Frances, there's a donation table at the monastery albergue in Roncesvalles......it's very popular, as many discover that their ideas about what they really need change after lugging nonessentials over the Pyrenees.......

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
"Just one set of clothes " for walking was all I needed on the CF in September- October last year. Plus one set of very light "après walk" clothes for each evening or occasional rest day. For the city visits before your Camino starts, dress nicely, as all Europeans do in cosmopolitan centres. You could then pack up your nice gear and send it ahead by Correos or transport, to meet you in Santiago de Compostella at the end (when you may want to dress up again to celebrate). But, as mentioned above, look around this Forum for advice - I did and it was mostly helpful.

There are problems with your question - it's too open-ended, doesn't say how many days you will be walking for and it assumes that laundry is essential

But if you wear predominantly Merino wool then laundry is not needed (do your hear of polar explorers stopping at a laundromat each afternoon?) - if you're expecting only brief spells of rain, then 1 pair of walking shorts will be enough for most of the year - plus say 2 pairs of shirts, socks and underwear (all can be Merino) - plus another pair of socks

Again, if walking between May-September, a rain jacket is all you really need - and, for example, a new pair of socks and the heat from your feet as you walk will quickly turn trail runners that have been wet dry again - no need for a pair of evening shoes

Here is a hyperlink to my packing list.

As far as laundry goes, look on youtube for a scrubba video.
I just watched the scrubba video and it looks like a good way of hand washing clothes. The scrubba bag is very expensive and as someone else commented any dry bag should do. I'm going to give it a go just using a plastic supermarket bag. I'm not good or patient washing clothes so I hope this technique helps?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(do your hear of polar explorers stopping at a laundromat each afternoon?
Except that polar explorers are not mingling with townspeople and eating in restaurants/bars every day!
I just watched the scrubba video and it looks like a good way of hand washing clothes. The scrubba bag is very expensive and as someone else commented any dry bag should do.
I'm not good or patient washing clothes so I hope this technique helps?
Yes, the Scrubba is expensive and quite a bit heavier than a lighweight dry bag. Just letting the clothes soak while I'm showering and drying helps get them clean. Much better than standing over a laundry sink scrubbing.

That's exactly what I do. My 12 liter Osprey dry bag which weighs 1.2 ounces/34 gm is perfect for this. As I undress for the shower I put my clothes in with warm water and soap. And let everything soak while I'm showering and dressing. Then I shake the bag to agitate it before emptying it out and rinsing in the laundry sink. My clothes come out cleaner than when I washed them in the laundry sinks at the albergues.

Thank you Trecile. That is an excellent idea and I will certainly put it to use when I start my next Camino in June.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Fair question ... I wear under shorts, zip-off shorts, t shirt, short-sleeved shirt. I pack the same. One pair under shorts, one zip-off shorts (with the legs - two shorts one pair of legs), one t shirt, one short-sleeved shirt. That is the stuff I wash, not much, and not often either and I still smell sweet (possibly).
I wear Keen Newport sandals so no socks (and no blisters ;)).

Thing is - you can only wear one item at a time and the other item is either in the pack clean or on the line drying - why take anything else? Why carry the weight of clothing you don't need?
I use my body soap to launder (in the shower) and occasionally washing-up liquid if there is some spare in the refugio kitchen.
I don't wash clothing too often, nothing wrong with a little trail dust on shorts and shirt! - Mind you, clothing on my skin is cotton - takes days to even begin to smell - but if you wear that ghastly 'tech' synthetic clothing you will be washing them all the time as they stink really quickly.

As well as the 'spare' clothing I take outer wear ... Musto windbreaker fleece type thing and rain top ..... as I am going to Camino tomorrow and there will be a week of 10 to12C during the day and about 2C at night - so 4 to 5C in the walking morning - I am also taking a back up pair of socks in case my toes get a little cold and a long-sleeved thermal t shirt and an old sweater. Both are really old and worn so I will dump them when the weather improves into real spring.

Thing is, especially with women, there seems to be an overkill on this laundry thing ... it is ok to look dusty, or wrinkled, or slightly sweaty ... it isn't a first date or a meeting with the Queen ... so be cool, become a little wild - and just take one of each that you wear during the day in your pack.

Last edited:
I just watched the scrubba video and it looks like a good way of hand washing clothes. The scrubba bag is very expensive and as someone else commented any dry bag should do. I'm going to give it a go just using a plastic supermarket bag. I'm not good or patient washing clothes so I hope this technique helps?
@patgreen a plastic supermarket bag might rip easily. I use one of my silnylon drybags, but you might try a trash contractor bag (more durable) ... you could use that as a drybag as well.
¡Buena suerte! :D:cool:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I do some traveling before and after my Caminos. I bring a suitcase with my pre and post Camino things and send it to Santiago. It's so exciting to have something different to wear after a month or so when I reach Santiago!

I don't use the word 'exciting.' I do; however, enjoy very much, getting clean...really clean, shaved (to the extent I do) and into fresh clean clothes, including footwear.

I usually then locate one of the many coin laundries around Santiago and wash everything I walked with. Once that is done, I am into visiting Santiago, friends, and tourist mode...

I purchased my flight to Spain yesterday, and arrive at the end of April. I expect to begin the walk in mid-May, and finish in June sometime. I have no finish deadline. I got an Osprey Kestrel 48 on a good deal as my pack. Discussions on this forum suggest a 48 is too large. However, the 38 is the same length just narrower and a few OZ/Gs lighter. I figure I'll be fine if I don't fill it. Hence my question in this thread. I gather a drybag is essential? Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My mantra: If I know I'll need it, it goes into my pack. If I think I'll need it., it stays at home.
A great mantra. I actually use similar in my everyday life as I rid myself of unnecessary stuff. In this case, however, I don't know what is essential. My longest treks were on bicycles and only 7 days long. Still, There have been great answers/suggestions to my questions, but I suspect what I eventually need will come out in the wash if you pardon the pun. I figure I'll be forced to buy items in Spain, and perhaps giveaway others. 👍

A great mantra. I actually use similar in my everyday life as I rid myself of unnecessary stuff. In this case, however, I don't know what is essential. My longest treks were on bicycles and only 7 days long. Still, There have been great answers/suggestions to my questions, but I suspect what I eventually need will come out in the wash if you pardon the pun. I figure I'll be forced to buy items in Spain, and perhaps giveaway others. 👍
The early-stage albergues are full of "necesseties" left behind. ;) And Spain is a full-blown 1st world country, where everything can be bought, very good quality, and at a much better price than at home, in most countries.

It never ceases to amaze me, what pilgrims (at least firsttimers) put in their packs, as if they were going into unchartered wilderness...:D:cool: But then again: I was also once there, carrying a f.ex. 750 grams bicycle lock for securing my backpack... Never used, of course, :D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Discussions on this forum suggest a 48 is too large. However, the 38 is the same length just narrower and a few OZ/Gs lighter. I figure I'll be fine if I don't fill it. Hence my question in this thread. I gather a drybag is essential? Thanks again for the replies.
No, a 48 isn’t too large. As you say yourself, do not fill it up, that’s all ;)
I don’t use a pack cover so if I don’t take a poncho (only a rain jacket), my sleeping bag goes in a dry bag and so does my spare set of clothes. With a good poncho, there is no need as everything remains dry.
If you want to avoid the extra expense, a ziplock bag would work too.

I packed all my gear in a Osprey Exos 38 and still had room. I took 2 pair of trousers, 3 shirts, 3 sets of underwear and 3 pair of socks. Other than the shirt I left in Burgos, never needed anything else. And my pack size was "carry on". As far as soap etc carry as little as you need and pick some up on the way. Save your back and feet.

I walk with a Sherpa and Valet. That takes care of everything! Sherpa of course carries everything. The Valet prepares my daily menu, shops, cooks, washes and in the morning my clothes are laid out for me. It makes life much easier and is surprisingly inexpensive.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It's so exciting to have something different to wear after a month or so when I reach Santiago!

I am going on my first Camino so I am not sure what to expect as far shopping opportunities along the way. That being said, is there a chance to buy something new to wear in Santiago or nearby?

I am going on my first Camino so I am not sure what to expect as far shopping opportunities along the way. That being said, is there a chance to buy something new to wear in Santiago or nearby?
Santiago in a smaller and smaller way is the end of our spiritual journey. Then around the cathedral there are about 9,000 shops and about 8,992 of those with crap no one needs and then there is a whole big city for you to find whatever else you want. Who knows after you arrive you may not want to shed your pilgrim clothes.

No matter how many times you get an opportunity to wash clothes or take a shower, you will run into those rainy days, some times too many in a row, that you can not get your gear dried on the line. Eventually you will start to smell, it's normal. By the time you get to Santiago it won't matter anymore.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walk with a Sherpa and Valet. That takes care of everything! Sherpa of course carries everything. The Valet prepares my daily menu, shops, cooks, washes and in the morning my clothes are laid out for me. It makes life much easier and is surprisingly inexpensive.
😂

Yes, but my Camino is so I can experience the "roughing it" mentioned by tutors in my childhood lessons. Therefore, I've shunted my personal staff off to a friend. They served admirably during my last trip to Davos. Of course, after my walk, I intend to write about communing with the hoi poloi and the durability of Louis Vitton loafers as Camino footwear. Who knows, perhaps the experience will inspire me to eschew the next Branson or Gates invitations, and prompt visiting a REI.;):)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back