• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Practical Tips to take care of about 2 weeks before you leave for the Camino...

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
Hi everyone. I am getting ready to head out in about 2 weeks again and this is my checklist of things to do that you might not have considered. I am assuming that by this time the pre-camino training plan is well underway and all equipment has been purchased, acquired, and worn in where applicable. Note, these would be most applicable to a US resident.

1. Tell the post office you'll be gone. USPS.com has easy ways to have them hold your mail while you won't be able to get it. This only applies to households where everyone will be gone. Obviously if there is someone still at home to get the mail you don't have to do this. If there is no person to collect your mail, and you have not alerted the USPS, then things get sent back to sender which will require a response to a slew of "Have you moved?" inquiries from financial institutions and others.

2. Tell your debit (bank) and credit card companies that you will be traveling (providing specific locations and dates [at the country level only]). This may require a call to customer service but I am able to do it all online now with my providers. It sucks when I land somewhere foreign and ATMs don't feed me cash or credit card purchases are not approved.

3. Get your cellular voice / data plan settled. Now this one has many, many options and opinions about differing methods, and each has its own advantages. I choose to go the "I don't want to think about it that much or worry about such things in country, while I have to figure out how to get to Atocha station or take a taxi from Pamplona or just walk a long ways. So I choose (no haters please), to just log into my att.com account and add a AT&T Passport plan. That means that my existing phone, without any sim card changes or anything, will not deliver crazy data charges after the fact. I will know my data usage abilities and costs beforehand. I choose the 800mb data package for $120 for 30 days because this covers my intensive social medial posts. I can only speak for AT&T here.

4. Learn how to monitor your data usage, and prevent apps and such from eating it up without your knowledge. https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1044949 may help you.

5. Have you selected your flight seats yet? If not try again. Try to get an aisle or window if in Coach. Try to get what you want in b-class too.

6. Set up your auto reply email message at work. This is the best... just defer all incoming questions to your colleagues who are NOT walking the Camino. In my experience, despite all my trepidations about being gone for a while, not much changes in a month or so, and they will NOT figure out that you are unnecessary by deferring questions to colleagues, but will rather figure out your position and knowledge are quite helpful, and they will anxiously await your return. It is also great to remind everyone that you will have limited access to emails while on your travels. This is despite the above steps that ensured you could get anything you wanted should you choose to.

7. Change your voicemail message at work to refer all incoming calls to colleagues. Haha.

8. Start to water your plants and flowers a little more than usual, or set up a self regulating watering system. I used to set up an elaborate timed drip system to maintain the garden when I was gone, and it works... now however, most of my most sensitive plants have been replaced with hardier ones, so I just make sure to give a good water for 2 weeks or so before I leave and then over water on the day before. Rose bushes and trees tolerate this in my climate.

9. Prepare to trickle charge car batteries. Twice I came home from Caminos to hear that painful empty sound when I turned the key after returning home. I ended up walking to the tienda rather than drive, to pick up a battery charger. My car, sitting in the garage, drains the battery. Something like this keeps it perky when you are gone for a while (not necessary if the car is being driven while you're gone)... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/?tag=casaivar02-20

Some fun here. But all lessons learned on my part.

Buen camino,

Damien

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great - and most useful - post, Damien.

If relevant, I would add that you check with your home internet provider as well. Friends here in Australia had their account suspended after a month due to 'inactivity' which stopped their access to their email account.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe obvious, but I post-dated (or pre-dated, whatever) rental payments so that they are made automatically at the beginning of the months I will be away. (Also I tried that out beforehand with a selected date to make sure it works. Glitches abound.)
B

Give your feet a good session a week or so before leaving!

All good tips...
I have scheduled bill payments as we will be gone almost 2 months. USPS won't hold our mail that long so we have to arrange to have our mail picked up by someone.
My husband switched to T-Mobile a few months ago because they have unlimited data and texting in Spain (and France) for no additional cost to our regular plan. Actual calls do cost 20 cents per minute. We don't plan to call or text much but good to have the capacity if needed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Remember that if you have a Spanish SIM you won't get SMS bill reminders...

All good tips...
I have scheduled bill payments as we will be gone almost 2 months. USPS won't hold our mail that long so we have to arrange to have our mail picked up by someone.
My husband switched to T-Mobile a few months ago because they have unlimited data and texting in Spain (and France) for no additional cost to our regular plan. Actual calls do cost 20 cents per minute. We don't plan to call or text much but good to have the capacity if needed.
I have T-mobile and used it a lot last year in Europe. The unlimited data is great and works very well. I used free apps to make free and low cost calls. I have the Viber app, and I bought $4.99 in Viber credit which allowed me to make calls to phones that I couldn't call for free, like my mother's landline. Since I had the free data I could use the service anywhere. Calls using Viber cost only 2 cents a minute. I still have almost half of my Viber credit, and I made a lot of calls. So you don't need to pay the 20¢ a minute that T-mobile charges.

Good data is the most important thing. My daughter did a video call to me from Australia using FB Messenger and I just happened to be exploring the Moorish fort in El Real de la Jara. That was really cool. Texting and phone calls can be useful though. I remember wandering around Rio Lobos trying to find my Spanish friend as he had gone to the ATM and I had popped into a tienda and then we lost each other. We kept missing each other as we wandered around the same few streets. As soon as I found him I grabbed his phone number. Must say the little old men sitting behind the church were kept entertained for a good hour.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have T-mobile and used it a lot last year in Europe. The unlimited data is great and works very well. I used free apps to make free and low cost calls. I have the Viber app, and I bought $4.99 in Viber credit which allowed me to make calls to phones that I couldn't call for free, like my mother's landline. Since I had the free data I could use the service anywhere. Calls using Viber cost only 2 cents a minute. I still have almost half of my Viber credit, and I made a lot of calls. So you don't need to pay the 20¢ a minute that T-mobile charges.
Good to know! I personally almost never use my phone. It sits in my bag all week and sometimes I don't even remember to charge it. Hubby uses his more so has decided to bring it along. I will tell him about Viber although we don't plan to make calls except in an emergency. He can take and upload photos to cloud storage or use it as a translator.

As for the USPS, if you frequently make trips longer than 6 weeks, it may be worth getting a P.O. Box. You can have your mail forwarded to that and they will hold any amount of mail for quite a long time--not sure exactly how long, but it's at least 3 months.

Good to know. We are planning to have a friend pick up our collected mail midway through. Cannot arrange this online though. You have to visit the post office in person to arrange this. If we decide to do more long-term traveling we will keep the PO box idea in mind.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are not a resident of the European Union, choose and purchase your health insurance. Be sure to fill all prescriptions which you need to take with you. Take copies of the prescriptions for reference at Spanish farmacias or clinics, if necessary.

If you are not a resident of the European Union, choose and purchase your health insurance. Be sure to fill all prescriptions which you need to take with you. Take copies of the prescriptions for reference at Spanish farmacias or clinics, if necessary.

Took care of this today! Hope it is just for peace of mind and that we do not need to use it.

Good to know. We are planning to have a friend pick up our collected mail midway through. Cannot arrange this online though. You have to visit the post office in person to arrange this. If we decide to do more long-term traveling we will keep the PO box idea in mind.

Something a neighbor of mine did...

Pay a local kid $1 a day to pick up your mail. It ensures you get your mail grabbed continuously (as thieves are known to check mailboxes for overstuffing, showing a lack of activity at a home). and can teach a young kid something like responsibility. Hey, it worked for me. Guy paid me for every day I got his mail and threw it in a box at my place. At the end of the 3 months he'd be gone, he handed me $100 cash. Felt nice to do something for him and he knew he had a bit more security.

Also, if it's something you worry about, put your lights on timers.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great idea! Our mailboxes have keys so I worry less about mail theft, but might be a good way to help a kid out.
Janet

Turn your water heater down or to Vacation Mode. If you turn off the water to your house, unplug the water heater's electric motor or it might burn out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back