• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prague to Geneva 2018

kaixo

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
Geneva-Bilbao 2015
Norte 2022
I am in the planning stages for my next camino.
Here is the proposed route:
Prague - Eschlkam - Donauworth - Ulm - Konstanz - Einsiedeln - Interlaken - Geneva

I would love to hear from others who have made this (or a similar) camino.
Three particular questions:
1) How many weeks did you walk?
2) Do you have any info on the walk from Donauworth to Ulm via the Danube?
3) Which guidebooks did you carry?

I am very much enjoying the research along this route and I appreciate any feedback.
Buen camino,
Anna

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been researching some of those sections myself, though don't have much detail yet. It certainly sounds like an amazing walk! Take me along with you, please... :)

Let us know how your research comes along.

Oh that is wonderful @stratophile ! Please keep me posted on your findings.
I have downloaded useful information but I have not yet purchased any guidebooks.
Okay amigos del forum, I’m anxiously waiting to hear from you.

Here is what I have so far:

Czech Republic - My route from Prague to Eschlkam is set (≈ 185 km).
I have purchased hiking maps (36, 38, 34, 35, 32, 64, 63) and a pilgrim passport from here. I love maps! No, I won’t carry all of these maps, maybe portions, we shall see. I enjoy planning and familiarizing myself with the towns and countryside along the way. I have printed route descriptions and historical places of interest. I am lacking specific info regarding accommodations.

Germany - My route from Eschlkam to Konstanz is nearly set (≈ 480 km).
I have maps and route descriptions from Eschlkam to Donauworth. I would like to walk from Donauworth to Ulm along the Danube. Does anyone have experience along this route? Again, I am lacking specific info regarding accommodations for this entire section.
From Ulm to Konstanz I have maps, an accommodation list, and very basic route info.

Switzerland - My route from Konstanz to Geneva is set (≈ 460 km). I have gathered a lot data (maps, route descriptions, accommodation lists, etc.)

I am planning to purchase these guidebooks. Any comments or input is greatly welcomed.
51Ei5BStPwL._AA100_.jpg
51kSc9qR-RL._AA100_.jpg

Thank you,
Anna

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Anna,

I did this 2014, for the route through the Czech Republic have a look at http://www.ultreia.cz/ use Google Translate if necessary. In Eschlkam pop into the Rathaus (town hall) one of the civil servants there is a Camino aficionado and will give you a folder with ALL the info you need to get through the next stages.

Buen Camino and feel free to hit me up with any specific questions you might have ... SY

Hi Anna,

I first researched the Donauworth to Ulm region back when I was planning the EuroVelo 6 (long-distance bicycle route). EV 6 follows directly along the Danube and is a very nice stretch. If I recall correctly, though, the Camino does not follow directly along the Danube between those cities but instead winds / curves around to the north (not sure of this -- I don't have my Camino notes handy at the moment). However, if following the Danube through this region is your main interest, do a little research into the EuroVelo 6 route. It is primarily intended as a bicycle route but of course it can be walked too. There is lots of info available for accommodation options, nearby attractions, and so on.

Any comments or input is greatly welcomed.

What an adventure lies before you! I walked this section in stages (4 wks Prague to Nuremberg, 4 wks Nuremberg to Einsiedeln, 3 wks Einsiedeln to Lausanne and then train to Geneva) in 2012, 2013, and 2015. Daily details are in my blog kitsambler.wordpress.com

There are two routes coming out of Prague: one northwesterly passing north of Pilzn and one southwesterly via St Gall's. I took the nw route and regretted it, as the second week out of Prague starts becoming very rough country with steep poorly marked route (that was 5 years ago, things may have changed). SYates took the sw route and seems to have had a better time of it.

Once you leave the environs of Prague, only Czech is spoken. I'm conversant in German, but it was useless. The offline audio Czech translator on my smartphone was invaluable.

The "yellow books" from Conrad-Stein-Verlag are always reliable. In the Czech Republic, I used the Prag-Tillyshantz guidebook which is in German but reasonably good as to maps, accommodations, and distances. In Switzerland, the route is exceptionally well marked. Current lodging lists are available here http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/hiking-in-switzerland/route-04.html and are tremendously useful for avoiding bankruptcy while hiking there. NB: The less expensive accommodations book up early; reservations recommended especially on weekends. You are competing with the tourists for a bed, often.

In the Czech Republic, I walked in May and there was absolutely no competition for a bed. It was still spring, and heat was not always available in the dorms. A down sleeping bag and merino long underwear were essential.

Here is the info for the bike route from Donauworth to Ulm: http://www.fahrrad-tour.de/Donautal/Fertig/Donau3.htm

Nuremberg, Ulm, and Einsiedeln are all worth a rest day (or two). The most scenic part of Switzerland is the eastern half, before Interlaken. Buses in the German countryside only run for schoolchildren, but in Switzerland the buses and trains run everywhere and all the time.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you @SYates, @stratophile, and @Kitsambler for your valuable responses. :)
It is going to take me several days to get through all of your suggestions.
But I love planning and research and it's raining here anyway, so full steam ahead.

Maps are taped up on my dining room wall...I'm getting excited.
I have calculated the total distance to be approximately 1125km which will take me about 45 days to walk.

I have received the two previously mentioned guidebooks. Both are in German which unfortunately I do not speak. But I have downloaded a translator app so I hope that will help. It will be especially useful while I am in the Czech Republic.

Thank you for your advice @Kitsambler to walk the southwesterly route out of Prague. That is my plan and I have all the maps, route descriptions, and accommodation lists to get me from Prague to Eschlkam.

I have noted your suggestion @SYates to pop into the Rathaus in Eschlkam and speak with the camino aficionado. I found an email address for Josef Altmann who works there so I hope he can give me some advice prior to my departure. I am still hoping to find a guidebook to get me from Eschlkam to Regensberg to Donauworth to Ulm.

The bike route along the Danube makes me think I will be walking entirely on pavement. I would much prefer the windy camino route to the north mentioned by @stratophile. I found a map that shows a little man walking from Donauworth-Bissingen-Demingen-Giengen/Brenz-Langenau-Ulm. However, I did not find any route info. Any chance you can find your camino notes @stratophile?

I am still undecided whether to walk the northshore or the southshore from Brienz to Interlaken. Anyone have comments on the two routes?

A big thank you to @SYates, @Kitsambler, and @gittiharre for documenting your travels. I have read and reread your blogs. They are informative, and as a solo female pilgrim they give me inspiration. And the fotos are amazing.

I am still undecided whether to walk the northshore or the southshore from Brienz to Interlaken.
I took the boat. It's a 50-50 split on whether to go north or south along the lakeshore. North side has a couple more towns, and views of the mountains to the south. South side offers shade and the incomparable Grand Hotel Giessbach, which was the template for one of my favorite movies, The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's a tall order. I am so NOT a writer.
My journaling consists of jotting down notes in my guidebook.
I sometimes think about documenting my travels but...well...I guess I'll think about it again.
Thanks for the suggestion @Kitsambler and btw what are your plans for 2018?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's a tall order. I am so NOT a writer.
Here's the thing. There are so few Englishers on this route, and it is such a great journey. People need their eyes opened to what they're missing ("You mean it's not just in Spain?"). This is your opportunity to leave a legacy for other pilgrims.

Besides, composing a journal fills in the time you'd normally pass in conversation, since you'll be mostly solo.

Okay, I will consider a journal. :eek:

Observation:
We are moving in opposite directions. You are heading in stages toward Spain.
I am heading in stages away from Spain. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Kitsambler - Which GPS app did you download to your iPhone?
I used "GPS Kit" for the route from Prague in 2012, but I'm sure there are others equally good available now. So there are two bits: an underlying map app, and then the gps track data. I think that architecture applies regardless of which app you use.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back