• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prague to Geneva

Dirkhj

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2013
Camino Portugues May 2014
Camino Le Puy. May 2015
I am planning a hike from Prague to Geneva in May 2022. The idea is to take the most scenic route.
I’ll appreciate any advice, maps, places to stay, guidebooks, best route, what not to miss or what to watch out for.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Greetings
Dirk

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's perhaps not much in the way of help, but it looks to me like a more southerly route (S Germany or Austria) would take in more mountainous ground, while a northern route through Germany may be flatter. We came across Via Jokobi signs in Austria near Seefeld - beautiful terrain, but would potentially be very hard work with all the climbs and descents involved day after day.

It's perhaps not much in the way of help, but it looks to me like a more southerly route (S Germany or Austria) would take in more mountainous ground, while a northern route through Germany may be flatter. We came across Via Jokobi signs in Austria near Seefeld - beautiful terrain, but would potentially be very hard work with all the climbs and descents involved day after day.
I thought this too. But this is a WRONG assumption. The northern route, running NW out of Prague and passing north of Pilzn, runs right into the Erzgeberge mountains that have formed the border between Saxony and Bohemia for centuries. Details in my blog. Sabine Yates, a member of this forum, took the southern route more successfully, running SW from Prague, and blogged it.

You will not lack for scenery - but you may lack for companionship unless you are walking in August. Extensive trip details and advice in my blog, starting here: https://kitsambler.wordpress.com/20...cs-notes-on-beginning-pilgrim-walk-in-prague/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What a wonderful plan you have!

Via Jacobi in Switzerland is really beautiful, safe and interesting and finding a place to sleep was not a problem. However, this was before Covid19! A few albergues, many closters, sometimes private families. We used a list from this site. https://viajacobi4.net/de/unterkunfte/ The lists seem to be up to date! In Germany, the Jakobsweg is always very well marked, but sleeping has to be arranged in regular hostels and hotels.
As Kitsambler mentioned, it will be rather lonely. Between Ulm and Constance I never saw another pilgrim. In Switzerland we encountered some, but there were days we didn't see any other pilgrim.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.