• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prayer of St Teresa/Alto de Perdon

Smurphy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago 2014
SJPP to Muxia 2015
Porto to Santiago 2016
SJPP to Lourdes 2017
2018?
Hi everyone. Long term reader of this forum and devoured information from it before setting off on the Camino last June. Thank you all for the advice and snippets of information I picked up.

My mother and I completed the full Camino starting in St Jean and finishing in Muxia. It was a wonderful experience, and one I will never forget.

I have searched the web for the answer to my question, but with no luck. I probably should have come here sooner!

On descending the Alto de Perdon, I came across what looked like a sign that was stuck in the ground. On it there was either a message/prayer regarding St Teresa. I am looking for the exact text of that message if possible. I have searched the web, but it is more prayers that I am finding and to my knowledge it didn't seem like a prayer. What it mentioned that a rose would be found, and that there would be a surprise at the end of your journey. My mother, whose name is Teresa, did find a random rose one day as we walked along our path, and she did get a surprise at the end of her journey. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction to locate this text.

Thank you all and Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St Therese of Lisieux said that she would "let fall from Heaven a shower of roses" and as you've said there's a novena rose prayer that's well known. Hope someone can fill in the details for you

Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully one of the forum members will be able to give you the correct information, but for now, as far as prayers from Santa Teresa, I see several prayers dealing with roses on this link (it is taking some time to open, just wait for the computer to bring it up):

http://tinyurl.com/pvg5jru

Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a prayer that is associated with St. Teresa of Avila, who reformed the Carmelite order of nuns.

It goes something like this,

Lord, I pray for the patience to accept what cannot be changed,
and the courage to change what needs to be changed,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

The older I get the more I pray it.

There is a prayer that is associated with St. Teresa of Avila, who reformed the Carmelite order of nuns.

It goes something like this,

Lord, I pray for the patience to accept what cannot be changed,
and the courage to change what needs to be changed,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

The older I get the more I pray it.
Veré
Here in Spain we have to Teresas !!
Teresa de Avila and Teresa de Jesus !

And then of course Madre Teresa , well known for her works in India.

Have just reread the original post and realise that it most probably refers to Saint Therese of Liseaux who lived some centuries later. Both her parents , Louis and Zelie Martin were canonised quite recently I mean some days ago.
Theresa was a Carmelite nun who died at the age 24. She apparently saw that she could give glory to God by just being herself, like a rose in a garden. Her sister who recognised her goodness encouraged her to write her autobiography which she did, "The story of a Soul". which was widely read. There is a connection with roses. I can't quite remember exactly. But I know that some people will see a rose that they come upon or are given unexpectedly as a sign that their prayers will be answered, and it seems to give them great comfort.

She has been named as a Doctor of the Church , one of the very few females. Her whole doctrine is that we do not become saints by doing great things but by doing ordinary everyday things in a great way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there, try the website
littleflower.org and once there look for the novena prayer re rose(s)
This might be the one you want.
Good luck

Here are two I found (the first one is from the link I provided above),

Saint Theresa
The Little Flower
Please pick me a Rose from the
Heavenly Garden and sent it
to me with a
Message of Love.
Ask God to grant me the
Favor I Thee implore and tell
Him I will Love Him each
day More and More.

Oración Para Pedir La Rosa
"Oh, Teresita del Niño Jesús, por favor junta
una rosa de los jardines celestiales y
envíamela como mensaje de amor.
Florecita de Jesús, pediré hoy a Dios que me
alcance las gracias que yo ahora pongo con
confianza en tus manos
(Pedir la gracia)
Santa Teresita, ayúdame a creer siempre
como tú lo hiciste en el gran Amor que
Dios me tiene, de modo que yo pueda imitar
Tu caminito cada día."
Amen.

Already then, good luck in your search, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

As my wife and I were walking into Melide, we met a very interesting Spanish lady named Teresa de Jesus. As we walked up behind her she was singing James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend," and we joined with her in singing as we walked.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for all your advice. The search goes on. If anyone here will be descending Alto de Perdon soon I would greatly appreciate if you could keep an eye out and take a picture for me if possible.

Veré
Here in Spain we have to Teresas !!
Teresa de Avila and Teresa de Jesus !

And then of course Madre Teresa , well known for her works in India.
Pruden, I believe those two are the same saint. :)

Ricoh, I'm afraid they are 2 separate saints. St Teresa of Avila was born in Avila, Spain 28th March 1515 and the other St Therese was French and was born in 1873. A few years difference between them not to mention miles!
All the best

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ricoh, I'm afraid they are 2 separate saints. St Teresa of Avila was born in Avila, Spain 28th March 1515 and the other St Therese was French and was born in 1873. A few years difference between them not to mention miles!
All the best
Oh dear, apologies all round... You are right Ricoh, I completely mis-read the quote from Pruden.
Sorry all

Thank you to everyone for their replies.

Can I appeal to people reading that may be walking by Alto de Perdon to keep an eye out for the sign for me please.a photo would be great!

BUMP

Still looking for the exact words of this. I appeal to anyone doing this section of the walk to please please keep an eye out for it for me. If you could take a photo or at least tell me that it is still there I would very much appreciate it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found this on the internet, not sure if it is what you are looking for:

Si una puerta se cierra,
otra se abre.
Si te rechazan,
sigue caminando...
hasta que te conviertas en el mismo camino.
Con tu entrega al amor incondicional haces posible lo imposible.
Verás más allá de las apariencias.
Llegarás hasta el espíritu oculto en cada ser
que tímidamente intenta dejarse ver.
El fin desde el principio es ya una realidad.
La rosa se muestra en todo su esplendor.
Una puerta se abre…

Don't thin it is what I am looking for SYates, but I appreciate you going to the trouble of looking.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi everyone. Long term reader of this forum and devoured information from it before setting off on the Camino last June. Thank you all for the advice and snippets of information I picked up.

My mother and I completed the full Camino starting in St Jean and finishing in Muxia. It was a wonderful experience, and one I will never forget.

I have searched the web for the answer to my question, but with no luck. I probably should have come here sooner!

On descending the Alto de Perdon, I came across what looked like a sign that was stuck in the ground. On it there was either a message/prayer regarding St Teresa. I am looking for the exact text of that message if possible. I have searched the web, but it is more prayers that I am finding and to my knowledge it didn't seem like a prayer. What it mentioned that a rose would be found, and that there would be a surprise at the end of your journey. My mother, whose name is Teresa, did find a random rose one day as we walked along our path, and she did get a surprise at the end of her journey. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction to locate this text.

Thank you all and Buen Camino!

Just bumping this topic again as I know a lot of people will be starting their Camino at this time.

It is almost a year from when we started our journey. What an experience. We are returning to walk from Porto this year.

Can I appeal to those that reach Alto de Perdon to keep an eye for the prayer/passage. My search goes on. It was on a sign stuck into the dirth path as you descended from the Alto. I would really appreciate a picture as I know it would mean a lot to my mother.

Thank you

Seán

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Richo:
You are quite right, they are the same saint. The confusion arises because St Teresa of Avila (the Spanish saint) had the name in religion (as a nun) of Teresa of Jesus. St Therese of Lisieux (the French saint) had the name in religion of Therese of the Child Jesus.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back