• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prayers for Denise - 25th July at Mid-Day

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
11265407_1440456679604344_5106518975177952302_o.jpg APPEAL FOR A FEW MOMENTS OF PRAYER FOR A MISSING PILGRIM - MID-DAY 25TH JULY (ST JAMES' FEAST DAY)
Three months ago Denise Thiem went missing while hiking the El Camino. She was last seen in Astorga. Pilgrims often lose touch with friends and family whilst on the Camino but Denise has disappeared without a trace, hasn’t used her credit cards, withdrawn money or emailed her family since then. Many people feel helpless and don’t know how to help the family who are still searching for Denise.
The St James Feast day celebrations will be held in Santiago and around the world on 25th July. Let’s pray for Denise and her family at mid-day on that day when the special pilgrim mass will be held in Santiago cathedral. Please share this appeal on Camino Forums, Saint James confraternities and our personal pages.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On her Fox News Network program On the Record this evening Greta Van Sustern presented a fairly long segment devoted to Denise including an interview with her brother Cedric. It was reasonably objective, not sensationalized, and with the exception of only a few minor points, factual. I am sure many many more Americans are now aware of her disappearance and its effect on her family and on all of us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
View attachment 19670 APPEAL FOR A FEW MOMENTS OF PRAYER FOR A MISSING PILGRIM - MID-DAY 25TH JULY (ST JAMES' FEAST DAY)
Three months ago Denise Thiem went missing while hiking the El Camino. She was last seen in Astorga. Pilgrims often lose touch with friends and family whilst on the Camino but Denise has disappeared without a trace, hasn’t used her credit cards, withdrawn money or emailed her family since then. Many people feel helpless and don’t know how to help the family who are still searching for Denise.
The St James Feast day celebrations will be held in Santiago and around the world on 25th July. Let’s pray for Denise and her family at mid-day on that day when the special pilgrim mass will be held in Santiago cathedral. Please share this appeal on Camino Forums, Saint James confraternities and our personal pages.
Great to do this, I already put it on the calendar. Wish you all well, Peter.

I am taking a church service next Sunday: Denise will be mentioned specifically by name.
I've also made a note of 25th.
Wherever she is, whatever she is doing, may God be with her, help her, bring her comfort and bring her peace.
Blessings to our readers - and to Denise - from England.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I check the forum almost every day hoping for news of Denise and always pray for her and her family. I will certainly add my name to those praying on July 25th. It is such a wonderful idea, thank you for suggesting it.

Today, I wrote separate letters to President Obama, Michele Obama, and the American ambassador in Spain. I also posted a plea on the US Embassy in Spain FB page. I will continue to push those with resources to use them to find her.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can't think about 25 July without remembering that terrible train crash, but now I have another reason to remember St James day. In this day and age of almost instant communications it's difficult to understand how someone can "just go missing" but in Denise's case it would appear there are many unanswered questions. Some one MUST know more - please speak up!!

Hi Tilly - thanks the tip about a stone at the Cruz - I will now have 3 stones to deposit. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since July 25th is coming up this week, I thought that I would bring this back up to attention. It was great of Sillydoll to post this thread. I also passed along her suggestion on the Buddy System Facebook page. So hopefully we will have loads of people praying for Denise and her family.

Since July 25th is coming up this week, I thought that I would bring this back up to attention. It was great of Sillydoll to post this thread. I also passed along her suggestion on the Buddy System Facebook page. So hopefully we will have loads of people praying for Denise and her family.
Hello all, today at midday I burn a candle in church and stayed there for several minutes in silence thinking about Denise and here family.
Wish everybody well, Peter.

As promised earlier here, on Saturday, 25 July, the Feast of Saint James (Santiago), I attended Mass at the Cathedral at Santiago on behalf of missing American pilgrim Denise Thiem of Arizona.

I also made time to do the Abrazo (hug the statue of Santiago to thank him for a safe arrival at Santiago), as well as to briefly venerate the relics of Santiago in the crypt beneath the main altar; all on Denise's behalf. In any event, I offered prayers for her, her safety, soul, and the welfare of her family.

During the Catholic Mass I also offered silent prayers for her, and for the comfort of her family during this trying and stressful time.

As a practicing and hopefully faithful Catholic, I have done this at the end of each of my three Caminos. I was pleased to follow through on my commitment to do this for Denise.

I seriously hope this helps us toward a solution to her disappearance.

Even though I am commenting on this post years later in 2018, before I joined this forum, I was hugely affected by Denises' disappearance. I was walking the CF a year later in May/ June and came across 3 girls who had walked with her on and off that year. They were honouring her the next year 2016, with a new Camino. They said her brother Cedric,was in touch every evening without fail so when he didn't hear from her he came to Santiago and walked backwards showing her picture to all pilgrims. The police also noticed some females complaining of wrong arrows directing them to a farm and them being scared & attacked by a Spanish guy.They reported these luckily in Rabanal & the police investigated around El Ganzo. The murderer is now in jail.
A lesson for this terrible tragedy is to keep in touch regularly with loved ones and report any strange incidents asap to the nearest police station. I gave out many business cards with my photo & son's number on it during my Caminos, for safety reasons. May
Denise forever be remembered in our prayers.
I thought a conclusion needed to be written.
Love

Thank you for your post. We walked from Astorga to Rabinal this October on our Camino and I was thinking of Denise whilst we walked. It is so sad and I felt it could have happened to any of us. We must look after our fellow pilgrims and try to make it as safe as we can

Thank you for your post. We walked from Astorga to Rabinal this October on our Camino and I was thinking of Denise whilst we walked. It is so sad and I felt it could have happened to any of us. We must look after our fellow pilgrims and try to make it as safe as we can
Did you visit the memory tree, just outside Astorga?20180507_114629.jpg

Wish you wel , Peter .

We paused there in May for a moment of prayer.
I'm not sure many people realise it is there.
Hi Robo ,
There is a sign beside the road , I was there in May to lay down all the shels .
There where Pilgrims passing and the only thing they where interesting in was there smartphone.
Found that so sad.

Wish you wel , Peter.

Hi Robo ,
There is a sign beside the road , I was there in May to lay down all the shels .
There where Pilgrims passing and the only thing they where interesting in was there smartphone.
Found that so sad.

Wish you well , Peter.

Yes I noticed that. And diving into that little Chapel. To grab a Sello.......
I see it's shown on Google Maps now...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No I didn't notice it. I felt there should be something in her memory but I must have walked past it

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back