• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prayers for S and L

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Please: if you or your church or family routinely prayers, I am requesting prayers for S and L. God will hear your prayers, and he won't mind the initial. I think it would be wrong to use their names.

Here's the narrative...

S's favorite movie has always been "The Way," and years ago, she became obsessed with it. She wanted to do the Camino, but health would never allow.

Yesterday, my husband and I went to visit Sy. Sy, 57 years old, has been a friend of mine since we were 13. She's had a bad heart for about a decade, owing to an infection. About a month ago, Sy's heart began to die.

She's considered morbidly obese--and weighed about 300 pounds when she went into the hospital. With diabetes II, she's struggled for years, and I'm not one to judge, but had tried to help her with some better choices. She's one of those ladies who is "large and in charge," and I love her as she is.

Sy has been in the cardiac part of a facility for about seven weeks. She's now lost about 30 pounds, and if she can lose 40 more, she will go on a transplant list. Currently, she has an apparatus implanted in her chest (a vac something??) that pumps the blood, and requires great care.

When we went in to see Sy, there stood an individual who was so unusual that I immediately just stopped and stared. It was odd for me: I'm a high school teacher, and am well-accustomed to unusual people, but I was expecting to see Sy, so I was taken aback. This young lady---was she the nurse? what was her role? Oh....a patient. I see.

She was so absolutely alabaster, with dark, dark circles. That was when I realized she was holding onto a pole that held her IV drip medications. When she said hello, and Sy introduced her, her voice was small and soft, like autumn leaves just lifted suddenly by the wind. After J and I visited Sy, we went next door to L's "suite". Born with an enlarged heart, she had finally, at the age of about 25, gotten a heart transplant. Here she is, at 27, in a bad place. Her body is rejecting the implant that she got in 2013.

L paints beautifully, and art is propped around her room. Her doctor shows me a cell phone photo of L in her band--a punk rock band. In the photo, she is platinum blonde with red lipstick and beautiful eyes. She wears a mini dress and has a guitar on her back. She is beautiful. Now, she lets me comb her newly-washed hair.

L. read me a beautiful chapter of her novel. She's writing about her experiences. She writes so well, and I am struck by her use of language. As an english teacher, I notice that stuff. She also seasons her words with the word "auspicious," and I laughingly mention that it was one of the vocabulary words for the high school students I teach.

I was so moved by the resilience of Sy, 57 years old, and longing to change and live. And then there was L. A very young adult--a twin sister, whose sister is married and pregnant. Please pray for them. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Prayers and healing wishes sent x

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please: if you or your church or family routinely prayers, I am requesting prayers for S and L. God will hear your prayers, and he won't mind the initial. I think it would be wrong to use their names.

Here's the narrative...

S's favorite movie has always been "The Way," and years ago, she became obsessed with it. She wanted to do the Camino, but health would never allow.

Yesterday, my husband and I went to visit Sy. Sy, 57 years old, has been a friend of mine since we were 13. She's had a bad heart for about a decade, owing to an infection. About a month ago, Sy's heart began to die.

She's considered morbidly obese--and weighed about 300 pounds when she went into the hospital. With diabetes II, she's struggled for years, and I'm not one to judge, but had tried to help her with some better choices. She's one of those ladies who is "large and in charge," and I love her as she is.

Sy has been in the cardiac part of a facility for about seven weeks. She's now lost about 30 pounds, and if she can lose 40 more, she will go on a transplant list. Currently, she has an apparatus implanted in her chest (a vac something??) that pumps the blood, and requires great care.

When we went in to see Sy, there stood an individual who was so unusual that I immediately just stopped and stared. It was odd for me: I'm a high school teacher, and am well-accustomed to unusual people, but I was expecting to see Sy, so I was taken aback. This young lady---was she the nurse? what was her role? Oh....a patient. I see.

She was so absolutely alabaster, with dark, dark circles. That was when I realized she was holding onto a pole that held her IV drip medications. When she said hello, and Sy introduced her, her voice was small and soft, like autumn leaves just lifted suddenly by the wind. After J and I visited Sy, we went next door to L's "suite". Born with an enlarged heart, she had finally, at the age of about 25, gotten a heart transplant. Here she is, at 27, in a bad place. Her body is rejecting the implant that she got in 2013.

L paints beautifully, and art is propped around her room. Her doctor shows me a cell phone photo of L in her band--a punk rock band. In the photo, she is platinum blonde with red lipstick and beautiful eyes. She wears a mini dress and has a guitar on her back. She is beautiful. Now, she lets me comb her newly-washed hair.

L. read me a beautiful chapter of her novel. She's writing about her experiences. She writes so well, and I am struck by her use of language. As an english teacher, I notice that stuff. She also seasons her words with the word "auspicious," and I laughingly mention that it was one of the vocabulary words for the high school students I teach.

I was so moved by the resilience of Sy, 57 years old, and longing to change and live. And then there was L. A very young adult--a twin sister, whose sister is married and pregnant. Please pray for them. Thank you.
I will have her with me through the path, I start the 27th of May. God Bless you and them :)

Here's the narrative...

I will pray for them, Deb. I empathize with Sy, since I know that I should be working at getting fit and slender for my camino, but I like food and hate exercise too much. It is a lot easier to know what I should do than to do it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Here's the narrative...

Prayers for sure. Easy to remember S&L - Savings & Loan - kind of goes with their story. God bless.

I'm not sure I understand. You have a friend whose health is horrible, and I will say for all those less healthier than myself and all who suffer I offer prayers.

Inject "that movie" and it becomes an issue of the pilgrimage of Saint James on this forum. I pray your friend seeks serious life changing help but I also will pray for all those who make Santiago de Compostela their destination.

Your friends Camino may be her journey to life. A pilgrimage of life and faith does not lead to the remains of Saint James.

I'm not sure I understand. You have a friend whose health is horrible, and I will say for all those less healthier than myself and all who suffer I offer prayers.

Inject "that movie" and it becomes an issue of the pilgrimage of Saint James on this forum. I pray your friend seeks serious life changing help but I also will pray for all those who make Santiago de Compostela their destination.

Your friends Camino may be her journey to life. A pilgrimage of life and faith does not lead to the remains of Saint James.

Scott: this is a miscellaneous topic. This friend of mine--S---helped lead me to the Camino, through her love of the idea of going. Not all people can go on the journeys that we get to go on. To a large degree, if she lives to see me through it, I hope she will be able to vicariously travel through me. Yes, she is on a pilgrimage to health.

With no offense whatsoever intended, I think the journey metaphor is fine to consider. We all have our own journey. And yes, without leaning too heavily on "that movie," that movie opened her consciousness (and mine). I lived in Cambodia for eight years--and certainly saw "The Killing Fields" and "Swimming to Cambodia." That said, movies aren't real, are they?

Real life--illness, death, and suffering--is on my mind right now. Along with making exciting plans for my Camino, I also realize that I am blessed, because she can never do this journey. I think there is a connection there. Can you see it?

If not, apologies for cluttering the miscellaneous forum---which to me, is like the hall closet of everything and anything that may (or may not) quite relate.

Deb, my comment is that life is a Camino, our journeys through life is a Camino, our path to health is a Camino. I meant no disrespect, but helping one with blisters on the Camino de Santiago is not really any differenent than helping a friend (pilgrim of life) with life's cruelties. A pilgrimage does not have to be about ones own journey. Am I inncorect?

I think that you and I are completely in agreement, Scott! By the way, I've been admiring your hat...

Thank you for the clarification there! Did you get it in SJPP? Betting you did? very dapper, Scott!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Here's the narrative...

On it.

Thank you for sharing and all the best to S and L. It is good they have a caring person like you as a friend.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Update: S gets out of the hospital tomorrow. She has been there for about two months. She has a pump installed to do her heart's work. If she can just get the weight off, she will go on a transplant list....I must remain hopeful for this very old friend (since we were 13; 56ish now).

The younger woman, L., is getting realized on Friday, which is shocking as they were not even talking about letting her go last weekend. This must be a result of all your good and sincere prayers, and I thank you.

The mother of a close friend of mine has died and her funeral is today it's not a sad occasion as she had a long life well lived. I offered to stay in the house after the family and deceased leave for church this morning and I'll wait there until after the burial and everyone returns. As is the custom in Kerry all doors will be left unlocked and I'll be saying the Rosary a couple of times as I make mountains of ham sandwiches and get the boilers going for tea. I'll offer a decade up for S & L.

The mother of a close friend of mine has died and her funeral is today it's not a sad occasion as she had a long life well lived. I offered to stay in the house after the family and deceased leave for church this morning and I'll wait there until after the burial and everyone returns. As is the custom in Kerry all doors will be left unlocked and I'll be saying the Rosary a couple of times as I make mountains of ham sandwiches and get the boilers going for tea. I'll offer a decade up for S & L.
As a member of the Kerry Diaspora it is nice to see the old customs still carry on.God Bless your good deeds.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well Mike Savage it was a lovely Spring day bright but with a keen wind. The deceased was accorded all that was due tears -a tribute to her family's grief, lots of laughter -a tribute to the joyful home she made and love-a legacy of her generous heart.
I may have got repetitive strain injury from buttering all those sandwiches but my goodness they went down well…..and very fast indeed!

Last edited:
Update: S gets out of the hospital tomorrow. She has been there for about two months. She has a pump installed to do her heart's work. If she can just get the weight off, she will go on a transplant list....I must remain hopeful for this very old friend (since we were 13; 56ish now). The younger woman, L., is getting realized on Friday, which is shocking as they were not even talking about letting her go last weekend. This must be a result of all your good and sincere prayers, and I thank you.
I have added Sy and L to a note on my phone: will pray for them at each wayside cross on my camino along the Ebro river next month.
Bless you, and may He keep you all in the palm of His hand as you go on your journeys - to Santiago or through life.

Buen camino!

I have added Sy and L to a note on my phone: will pray for them at each wayside cross on my camino along the Ebro river next month.
Bless you, and may He keep you all in the palm of His hand as you go on your journeys - to Santiago or through life.

Buen camino!

I will be so glad to share with my sweet girlfriends the news that they will be prayed for at each wayside cross....that means a lot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Update: S gets out of the hospital tomorrow. She has been there for about two months. She has a pump installed to do her heart's work. If she can just get the weight off, she will go on a transplant list....I must remain hopeful for this very old friend (since we were 13; 56ish now).

The younger woman, L., is getting realized on Friday, which is shocking as they were not even talking about letting her go last weekend. This must be a result of all your good and sincere prayers, and I thank you.
Sorry for your pain.;(

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back