• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prayers please...

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I'm here asking for help.

I walked the Camino again last year with no big problems.
However, within days upon my return my left ankle began to hurt.
It is posterior tibial tendon dysfunction.

It's been 6 months.
I was going to the chiropractor, which helped, but the ankle remained weak.
Last week, it collapsed under me and now I'm in pain again.
The only course of action is wrapping and resting it.

This means that I won't walk the Camino this year.
I have a nice pilgrim friend walking with my ladies group this next season,
and Joe will take his group as scheduled.

But as you can imagine, it's difficult for me to sit all day!
I feel I'm going stir crazy.
I've taken up weight lifting again for upper body strength and am doing sitting/lying yoga for lower body.
I've also taken up watercolor lesson so as not to go mad with boredom.

What I WANT to do is WALK!

If you have a moment and a desire to help, please send me a bit of energy or prayers toward healing.
I REALLY don't want this to be the end of my walking days…
I'm becoming a little depressed, wondering if this will EVER heal???

Have any of you had this issue?
How long did it take to heal?
Did you walk distance again?

Thanks in advance.
I hope you all have a Blessed holiday, however you celebrate.
And if you're on the trail, Buen Camino!
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Annie , so sorry to hear this news. Yes I will pray for your recovery and return to the Camino. I am not familiar with this injury but I'm sure some rest if recommended over the winter period would be a burden worth bearing. Merry Christmas night and best wishes for your recovery in 2015. K.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie, I'm not one for prayers, but I will certainly try my hand at sending you some positive vibes from the UK/Spain.

I twisted my foot and sprained it a couple of months ago and was really surprised at how long it took to mend. We are reminded occasionally of how vulnerable we are, which makes us appreciate all the more when our bodies are performing well and carry us over untold miles to reach our goals. I am absolutely sure you will walk your next camino soon, if not next year, then in 2016. And in the meantime there are so many new hobbies for you to take up. You are obviously comfortable writing, this could be the time to embark on that book that has been lurking in the back of your mind.....

Best wishes to you for 2015 and I wish you a speedy recovery so that you will soon be pounding those trails.

Many prayers for you, Annie. I will light a candle for you this evening when I attend Christmas Mass at St. James here in Seattle.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Annie, hi. Pain is a horrid thing - this one of yours is specifically focused upon you not being able to walk the Camino - yet you are still called to the Camino ... seems like a cruel thing doesn't it, the universe against you? God allowing this to happen. How unfair!

You think that God needs reminding that you are hurting and that you need help? That he has caused or allowed this foot problem of yours and inadvertently stopped you going on Camino again and some prayers will give him a nudge and he will sort it for you?

Annie, God (the one you or your friends pray to for relief) is never "against" you, never tries to defeat you, never forgets you, never puts things in your way by mistake, only manifests certain things to help you - not the you of your desires and wants but the you of your needs for your life plan, your development - so -

if this is the case, why not alter your Camino concept? Why not go on Camino, not for yourself, not to again walk for yourself, but for others, be there to help others.

You can be on Camino, you just cannot walk it - so go on Camino, be there, but be there to help others - take a first aid kit, go on Camino, stay in one place - give yourself.

Just a thought

Buen Camino ;)

Last edited:
Hi Annie, Robin and I will be at midnight mass tonight at St. Mary's Cathedral in Portland. There, we will offer our prayers for your complete and timely recovery. All of us, your fellow members, in the APOC Portlandia chapter wish you a quick return to the Camino. Merry Christmas.

John

So sorry to hear your pain, sadness and frustration. I got plantear fasciitis while on the Camino this fall. Limped there, limped here for two monts afterwards. Now I no longer limp but a very short walk will cause me pain. And like you I would like to walk again next year. I'm glad some people have suggested practical solutions and also love David's idea of being on the Camino without walking. Thinking we may not be able to walk the Camino is like mourning isn't it. May your ankle recouperate quickly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie, hi. Pain is a horrid thing - this one of yours is specifically focused upon you not being able to walk the Camino - yet you are still called to the Camino ... seems like a cruel thing doesn't it, the universe against you? God allowing this to happen. How unfair!

You think that God needs reminding that you are hurting and that you need help? That he has caused or allowed this foot problem of yours and inadvertently stopped you going on Camino again and some prayers will give him a nudge and he will sort it for you?

Annie, God (the one you or your friends pray to for relief) is never "against" you, never tries to defeat you, never forgets you, never puts things in your way by mistake, only manifests certain things to help you - not the you of your desires and wants but the you of your needs for your life plan, your development - so -

if this is the case, why not alter your Camino concept? Why not go on Camino, not for yourself, not to again walk for yourself, but for others, be there to help others.

You can be on Camino, you just cannot walk it - so go on Camino, be there, but be there to help others - take a first aid kit, go on Camino, stay in one place - give yourself.

Just a thought

Buen Camino ;)

Thanks David.
No, I don't think God needs reminding.
Nor do I think it's his fault my foot is hurt :)
But I do believe in prayer and good thoughts.
I'm "on Camino" helping a two groups of 8 walk this year, as well as a brand new group leader.
So I'm taking your advice.

But I still want to walk it! :rolleyes::p

Yes.
Never.
Yes.

I use this brace on both ankles:
http://www.braceshop.com/swede-o-an...61_a_7c28949&gclid=CPTYjPCn38ICFe_m7Aod5QcANA

It does not stop pain, but it keeps the ankle from twisting. You can even play soccer in it! You have to learn to ignore the ankle signal that it is buckling; you know it cannot.

Falcon, this looks perfect!
Thank you! I have hesitated to buy a brace because most are NOT adjustable and I have a small foot.

To everyone else, thank you so much for your kind words, prayers, and thoughtfulness!
Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh Annie....I am so very sorry to read that this has happened....offering as much prayer and healing vibes as possible. Hoping that this injury will mend and heal as soon as possible. Camino hugs.

Broke my left ankle (fibula) ten years ago at work. One month in a cast and one month of physical therapy. It healed completely but like the doctor told me, will always give me problems due to soft tissue damage that occurred when it broke. Hurt the same ankle again a few years ago playing sports. Nothing broke, but strained ligaments, etc. It took a few months but it healed up again, but still bothers me.
I found chiropractors to be useless in therapy for the ankle (no offense to any out there). Waste of money and time. Only thing that helps it is overall strengthening of my feet, ankle and legs. Lots of stretching, squats and stair running. Also calf raises help strengthen the feet and ankles. They also have elastic bands you use for strength training. Overall, just a lot of sweat equity. If you are overweight losing the pounds helps tremendously as well. Every extra pound over you are equates to more stress on your feet and ankles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So sad to hear of your injury Annie it must be awful to even think you might never walk another Camino so don't go crazy. I have a moment and the desire to help,by sending a bit of energy or prayers toward your healing.
Check out that solution that falcon has too!

Dear Annie,
In 2012 I was diagnosed with the same thing. (Also called "adult acquired flatfoot," awful name.) And in 2013 I walked the Camino, thanks to a surgeon who prescribed-- not surgery-- but a Richie Brace (check it out here: http://www.precisionorthotic.com/precision/products/richiebrace.htm). It's a custom orthodic that's attached to semi-rigid uprights, and basically it lets you walk by taking the pressure off the injured tendon. It wasn't cheap, but I was lucky enough to have an extended health plan that covered it. I wore it for the year I spent training, and I wore it every day on the Camino, inside my Lowa boot (which had a deep enough heel space for it), and even brought sandals that could accomodate it when I switched over in the evening. In the year and a bit since I've been back, I wore it less and less, only for hiking in fact- and now I'm even starting to wear less supportive footwear on occasion, although not for long walks. I believe that the daily activity of the Camino while immobilizing the injured tendon actually allowed it to repair. It was a gamble because even with training, I didn't know if my ankle would hold up to the challenge- but I felt the worst that could happen was that I would be in Spain for 6 weeks regardless, and that couldn't be bad. And in fact, not only did it hold up, it got better. Yahoo! So I hope this is helpful information, and I wish you the very best for enough of a recovery that you'll be out on the Camino again. I'll be going back next fall myself!
Best wishes,
Wendy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I walked the Camino again last year with no big problems.
However, within days upon my return my left ankle began to hurt.
It is posterior tibial tendon dysfunction.

It's been 6 months.
I was going to the chiropractor, which helped, but the ankle remained weak.
Last week, it collapsed under me and now I'm in pain again.
The only course of action is wrapping and resting it.

This means that I won't walk the Camino this year.
I have a nice pilgrim friend walking with my ladies group this next season,
and Joe will take his group as scheduled.

But as you can imagine, it's difficult for me to sit all day!
I feel I'm going stir crazy.
I've taken up weight lifting again for upper body strength and am doing sitting/lying yoga for lower body.
I've also taken up watercolor lesson so as not to go mad with boredom.

What I WANT to do is WALK!

If you have a moment and a desire to help, please send me a bit of energy or prayers toward healing.
I REALLY don't want this to be the end of my walking days…
I'm becoming a little depressed, wondering if this will EVER heal???

Thanks in advance.
I hope you all have a Blessed holiday, however you celebrate.
And if you're on the trail, Buen Camino!
Annie
Hi Annie, My wife and I will certainly pray for your recovery. I have had 2 knee replacements over the past 6 years and have walked various sections of the camino. At the moment I have one arm in plater and awaiting an operation on the other. We are intending to walk the whole camino Frances in May with a 8ft cross. My point is that through prayer and good medical care/exercise, you will be healed! It has certainly been a contributing factor to my past and future recovery and the walk this May with the cross will be our personal prayer of thanks for the healing I know will happen. Keep your spirit up and a Buon Camino for your next one. Dermot & Jane Anne

Oh, annie, I know how hard this is for you -- the fear of losing the walking or at least having to change the routine. So many of these personal experiences seem hopeful, though, and I know you have the determination it takes to get the kind of treatment that can help you. Please keep us posted, I know you will find a way! Abrazos from Laurie

@Anniesantiago my dear, of course I will pray for you. Not sure how much good my feeble prayers are but sometimes it is all we can do. I won't try and give any advice because a few years ago I broke an ankle and it made me realise we are all just a hair-breadth from disaster.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh Annie! I am so sorry to hear of your problem.
I can't imagine the frustration and disappointment that foot problems would cause.
You are in my thoughts and prayers: and you WILL get better, but of course it may take a little time. Don't rush back to long distance walking, but rest assured you'll be able to do it again.
In March I am returning to Spain to be an assistant pastor again on the east coast: you will be in our prayers there, as well.
Blessings from England.

Sorry to hear about your problem. You know the old saying that time heals all wounds. It is true that time heals all wounds but I would check out the brace. It sounds interesting.. But you must know that there are many ways to do the Camino (bus, taxi etc)and still be with your friends.. I know it is not the same but it is a different Camino. It all depends on what you are able to do or not do. Heal first. The Camino will be there waiting...

Annie, so very sorry to hear about your walking problems. I will absolutely add you to my list of people for whom I say a prayer. Keep us posted as to your condition AS IT IMPROVES. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks everyone!
I bought the brace Falcon suggested and have been wearing it religiously.
It really does help and I like that I can wear it inside my shoe.
I haven't started walking again. It's windy and cold here in the desert right now, but hopefully will warm up next week and I'll begin a slow and steady walking routine.
I'm also taking ibuprofin for a couple of weeks to keep the inflammation down.

Wendy, I'll check out the brace you suggest. However, this one seems to be working well.

Thanks again to everyone!
Happy New Year!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back