• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Praying to return

Penny Kingma

Never Stop Trying !
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Everyone
As many of you know I walked my first Camino in 2016. That was the most amazing experience of my life. I arrived back in Ontario, Canada July 8 2016. On July 17 2016 I dislocated my hips waterskiing at our cottage. The dislocation shredded both my hips. I was 52 when it occurred. In Canada deemed too young for replacement. Here they prefer you to wait until your older, they wanted me to wait 7 years. I injured my knees 22 years before in a car accident. The compensation because of the hips finished my knees. Requiring now both knees and both hips ASAP.
I finally found a surgeon willing to do the replacements. My first being my right knee February 2018. Then my right hip July 2018. Followed by my left knee November 28 2018. At my 6 week checkup with my surgeon I’ve been put on the surgical list for my last one...my left hip. Hopefully in February 2019.
Going from being so active my entire life.... completely stopping less then two weeks from returning home from my Camino. A Camino I planned after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in June 2015 and a week later skin cancer on my face requiring multiple removals and two topical Cemo treatments. It was between those two treatments in December 2015 that I decided to walk. I booked my flight to Paris on May 27 2016 the following week. Not knowing that after I walked I’d require MOH surgery to remove a tumour in my face from the skin Cancer. All this is crazy enough but in 2017 I was diagnosed with Lyme and a co Lyme disease Babasia. Just Crazy ( no worries contracted at home ..not on the Camino)
I’m writing you all this not for pity. To inspire....To encourage all of you to NEVER give up.
My surgeon has warned me not to run again. My response was as long as I can walk.....another Camino.
My husband and family know that as soon as I can I’ll be back.
To all of you walking this year....enjoy every step....don’t rush....experience.....share.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Penny.... inspiring indeed. You WILL Camino on I am certain of it! God Bless and Soak up every moment!

Hello Everyone
As many of you know I walked my first Camino in 2016. That was the most amazing experience of my life. I arrived back in Ontario, Canada July 8 2016. On July 17 2016 I dislocated my hips waterskiing at our cottage. The dislocation shredded both my hips. I was 52 when it occurred. In Canada deemed too young for replacement. Here they prefer you to wait until your older, they wanted me to wait 7 years. I injured my knees 22 years before in a car accident. The compensation because of the hips finished my knees. Requiring now both knees and both hips ASAP.
I finally found a surgeon willing to do the replacements. My first being my right knee February 2018. Then my right hip July 2018. Followed by my left knee November 28 2018. At my 6 week checkup with my surgeon I’ve been put on the surgical list for my last one...my left hip. Hopefully in February 2019.
Going from being so active my entire life.... completely stopping less then two weeks from returning home from my Camino. A Camino I planned after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in June 2015 and a week later skin cancer on my face requiring multiple removals and two topical Cemo treatments. It was between those two treatments in December 2015 that I decided to walk. I booked my flight to Paris on May 27 2016 the following week. Not knowing that after I walked I’d require MOH surgery to remove a tumour in my face from the skin Cancer. All this is crazy enough but in 2017 I was diagnosed with Lyme and a co Lyme disease Babasia. Just Crazy ( no worries contracted at home ..not on the Camino)
I’m writing you all this not for pity. To inspire....To encourage all of you to NEVER give up.
My surgeon has warned me not to run again. My response was as long as I can walk.....another Camino.
To all of you walking this year....enjoy every step....don’t rush....experience.....share.
Buen Camino
What an inspirational story,what an inspirational person,God Bless and protect you on your next Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Penny, you are a brave and inspiring person! I hope to met you some day on the Camino.
Buen Camino to you.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can achieve anything you put your mind to ,the Camino teachers you that, good luck and buen Camino.

You will be back. Each step in your rehabilitation is one step on the camino ...so Keep walking 🚶🏽‍♀️ I won’t wish you luck I will wish you well for strength and quick healing and speedy recovery.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Everyone
Buen Camino
Dear pilgrim-Penny.
You are so brave. I wish you all the best, and a happy return to the Camino, when you are able. Until then enjoy your caminomemories on your inner camino in your thoughts. You have a dream, a great one, and a big hope. I will think of you many times.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Everyone
Buen Camino
Hello Everyone
Buen Camino
Wow. Thank you for sharing this. It certainly puts my niggles into perspective! I will keep you in my prayers, and I will light a few candles for you before and during my Camino Inglés in September to aid your recovery. Ultreia.

wish you health and strength Penny Kingma. I told my Old Guys about you tonight, I gave them some wine and some smoke and I told them you are a Pilgrim. Buen Caminos amiga
Tincatinker - that is high praise and admiration from you to Penny. I would have loved to have been in the same room as you and the Old Guys last night.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for sharing your truly inspirational story. I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery and a speedy recovery. Another Camino is such a great goal to work towards, and I hope this community and your Camino memories will get you through the difficult times until it is time for you to grab you pack and walk again. Buen Camino!

Hello Everyone
Buen Camino

You are Truly an inspiration Penny and I pray for your health and a return to the Camino on His time! In the meantime, enjoy where He has you at the moment, Blessings

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your are an inspiration full lady Penny .
Early May I'am in Santiago for a few day's so I will light a candle for you in the Cathedral.

Wish you well and take care , Peter .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back